Thread: Ahh, sports guy...

Default Ahh, sports guy...

It must be nice to be a sports "writer" and be able to suck the collective boston area's dicks...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/061103

I'm not even going to waste my time copying this.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Thumbs down Re: Ahh, sports guy...

Well, first, Simmons is an idiot, and always will be when he's wriitng about something he's biased about (Pats/Celts or their rivals).

But, one thing I really hate is when people reduce Peyton's game to 'just stats,' as if he somehow acquires those stats without actually producing on the field, like he just sits at some computer and computes and adds to his stats for a living. As someone who has had a ton of fun watching Peyton over the years, that is just a load of BS. Peyton is an amazing quarterback, and that's just such a stupid line to pull. "Oh, he just gets great stats."

Default Re: Ahh, sports guy...

Wait, you guys actually take him seriously?

He is not paid to be an objective analytical journalist. He was hired because he's an entertaining writer. All of his stuff has always been written with a Boston Sports slant, that's hardly a secret.

I find him funny and get more enjoyment out of reading him than most sports "journalists" out there.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only thing I have to say is that he could have picked a better example than Aurora Snow. Seriously.

I'll read it after we win on Sunday, that'll make it more enjoyable.

Seriously, I don't understand why he has such a stick up his *** about us, considering his team has the 3 rings and, except for last year, constantly kicks our ***. It'd be like if we went out of our way to denigrate Denver, and got pissed off anytime anybody said anything remotely positive about them.

All I'm saying is, the boy's got issues. You should have heard him when he guest hosted on ESPN radio for a week last December, right before we lost to San Diego. You'd think Peyton had raped his mom, or something.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Maybe sports gal isn't putting out?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What Colts fans need to realize is it doesn't matter what happens Sunday night. If the Colts lose in the playoffs, then Peyton Manning has FAILED. PERIOD. That may not be fair, but it's the reality. The Colts are defined by what they do in the playoffs, not what happens in Week 9.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

woman without a team

Shags,

We Colts fans believe in taking it one week in a time. We'll worry about what happens in the playoffs when the regular season is over. At least that's the way I look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shags,

We Colts fans believe in taking it one week in a time. We'll worry about what happens in the playoffs when the regular season is over. At least that's the way I look at it.
    That's the only sane way to look at it. I'd go crazy if I had to wait till the playoffs. One game at a time.

Now see, that was so much more enjoyable after the wait.

I knew he was gonna pull a Wilt-Russell comparison. Didn't see the Ali-Foreman, though. And, again, I don't see how he calls us their biggest rival over the years when they beat us every single time. What was our record against NE before last year, like 1-11, or some **** like that. I don't care how much you hate somebody, if you beat them 11 out of 12 they ain't your rival, they're your punching bag.

I still marvel that the guy wins 3 out of 4 rings, and he gets all worked up over commercials. He's got a screw loose.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Heres a quote from Cris Carter

"Overall Indy just isn't that good"

^ Now that just, IDK it hits the WTF button a thousand times.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

HAHAHAHA PWNED!!!!!!!! sports guy writes some funny articles for sure, but that article made this win more sweet. somewhere in the world sports guy is crying.

woman without a team

So is it the Sports Guy's fault that practically EVERYONE on TV (except Shannon Sharp) picked the Patriots and half of them said they'd take Tom Brady over Peyton Manning. Superstitious as I am I do say it's the Sports Guy's fault that the Pats didn't live up to the hype. Thanks dude.

LOL I just wrote to the idiot that said, Overall Indy just isn't that good. I asked him if now he realized how moronic that statement was.

Simmons writes to be funny. Overall I like him as a writer. He is paid to be biased and have a different outlook and I like him because of it. He is also one of the few writers that will come out and say he was wrong on something.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Still ain't worse than Scoop Jackson.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

I'm sure someone will post it but TSG makes up for it in his new column.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked his new one, especially the Mellencamp bits.

Can I get a link to the new one? Yes I am THAT lazy.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/061110

COLTS (-12.5) over Bills
    Hold on ...

(Taking my right shoe off ... )

(Taking my right sock off ... )

(Jamming my entire right foot into my mouth.)

There. You happy, Colts fans? Just remember, Chamberlain's teams beat Russell's teams plenty of times in the regular season. Didn't mean anything in the big scheme of things. But with that said ...

1. For the life of me, as long as I live, I will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER understand why the Patriots didn't pound the ball down Indy's throats in that game. That may have been the most frustrating Pats game of the Brady era. I couldn't handle it. I was going crazy. I was calling every Pats fan I knew during the game. I watched the fourth quarter rocking from the fetal position. I was so perturbed afterward, I ended up playing "Madden" and beating up on the computer until 2 a.m. Why didn't they pound the ball? Why? Dungy pulled a Belichick on Belichick -- he brought Bob Sanders up for the eight-man front and dared the Pats to throw deep, and they were stupid enough to take him up on it. Terrible. Just awful. I still can't believe it. It was like Doc Rivers was running the Pats' offense. During the final drive, I kept waiting for them to isolate Brady on the right side of the field and have the other 10 guys standing around watching him try to create a play.

(Sorry, that was a veiled joke for the 25 people still watching the Celtics. You have to believe me -- we're officially at the Chinese Water Torture stage of the Doc Rivers era. I could write 15 more words about this, or I could write 15,000. For your sake, we'll settle for 15.)

2. Brady didn't win three rings by winging the ball downfield into triple coverage. Do you think he's getting caught up in the whole Brady-Manning thing and feeling some sort of pressing need to match points with Manning every time he plays the Colts? Sure seemed like it on Sunday. Not his finest hour. On the flip side, I thought Manning was unbelievable -- that's the single-best game he's ever played against the Pats. They threw the kitchen sink at him and he ended up making 3-4 "WOW!" plays over the course of the game. Just a phenomenal job. I'm not even following this up with some sort of "I will now take a bath with a running hair dryer" joke. You have to hand it to Manning and the Colts. Last season's win in Foxboro was tainted by all the New England injuries; this was just an old-fashioned gut check.

(With all of that said, I'd still wager against them in January. The only team I can remember winning a Super Bowl when it couldn't stop the run was the '98 Broncos. It's just too hard -- one mistake and you're trailing and that's it. We will see.)

3. Deion Branch, you were missed. No, really.

4. Here's what really bothered me about that game: it had the potential to be truly great. When Vinatieri shockingly missed the clinching field goal and Brady started their final drive, I found myself remembering that classic Monday night game when Montana led the Chiefs past Elway and the Broncos and hoping for a sequel ... then suddenly, Kevin Faulk (who was washed-up a year ago) botched the catch and that was that. You rarely see football games live up to the hype; this one had a chance. Too bad.

Jets (+10.5) over PATRIOTS
    All right, one more thing: Was there a more damaging play this season than the Pats D-line just missing Manning on the third down of Indy's first series, followed by the 44-yard strike to Harrison and Rodney Harrison blowing out his shoulder? Good God. I can't stop thinking about that game. I haven't shaved in 10 days. I am not prepared to live in a world where Manning and Dungy own Belichick and Brady. I'm just not.

(One silver lining: Isn't this the weakest Colts team of the past few years? Mediocre running game, porous run defense, no reliable third receiver, inexperienced backs. They can be taken down, right? Um ... right?)

How can he say that Brady is a better QB, then criticize the Pats for throwing the ball?

So basically he's saying that in order for them to win, they needed to run. I thought Brady could just sling the ball, because he is the best QB in the NFL.....

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    How can he say that Brady is a better QB, then criticize the Pats for throwing the ball?

So basically he's saying that in order for them to win, they needed to run. I thought Brady could just sling the ball, because he is the best QB in the NFL.....
    Considering in his last line he talked about living in a world where Manning and Dungy owned Brady & Belichick, I don't know where you get that he's saying that.

For the life of me, as long as I live, I will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER understand why the Patriots didn't pound the ball down Indy's throats in that game. That may have been the most frustrating Pats game of the Brady era. I couldn't handle it. I was going crazy. I was calling every Pats fan I knew during the game. I watched the fourth quarter rocking from the fetal position. I was so perturbed afterward, I ended up playing "Madden" and beating up on the computer until 2 a.m. Why didn't they pound the ball? Why? Dungy pulled a Belichick on Belichick -- he brought Bob Sanders up for the eight-man front and dared the Pats to throw deep, and they were stupid enough to take him up on it. Terrible. Just awful. I still can't believe it. It was like Doc Rivers was running the Pats' offense. During the final drive, I kept waiting for them to isolate Brady on the right side of the field and have the other 10 guys standing around watching him try to create a play.

(Sorry, that was a veiled joke for the 25 people still watching the Celtics. You have to believe me -- we're officially at the Chinese Water Torture stage of the Doc Rivers era. I could write 15 more words about this, or I could write 15,000. For your sake, we'll settle for 15.)

2. Brady didn't win three rings by winging the ball downfield into triple coverage. Do you think he's getting caught up in the whole Brady-Manning thing and feeling some sort of pressing need to match points with Manning every time he plays the Colts? Sure seemed like it on Sunday. Not his finest hour.
    Does the last line erase all of that?

EDIT: Also, he says he's not ready for that type of world. He still believes TB and BB own the Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Considering in his last line he talked about living in a world where Manning and Dungy owned Brady & Belichick, I don't know where you get that he's saying that.
    Rim, did you read the first article? The one where Simmons basically is saying Manning is over rated?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Rim, did you read the first article? The one where Simmons basically is saying Manning is over rated?
    Y'know, one day if you'd asked me, I'd have told you barn swallows were completely harmless.

The next day, after I opened my barn door and three of 'em hit me in the head, I'd tell you something different.

Believe it or not, people have been known to change their opinions. What part of his elaborate foot-in-mouth statement was beyond comprehension?

The whole second article's basically an apology to Colts fans for his earlier column, an admission that that column was wrong and right now Indy's the better team, and a "woe is me" wailing about the fact that right now Indy's the better team.

Not sure why any of that should take word-parsing.

Also:

Good God. I can't stop thinking about that game. I haven't shaved in 10 days. I am not prepared to live in a world where Manning and Dungy own Belichick and Brady. I'm just not.
    can't by ANY stretch of the imagination be interpreted to mean:

He still believes TB and BB own the Colts.
    That's a friggin' cry of despair.

In fact the only thing that can even moderately be protrayed as a dig was his statements about the Colts not having won a SB - and that came off more of a "at least let me hang onto this a little longer." Heck, in his last line he infers that there's a pretty good shot of Indy going all the way.

Can't believe I'm spending this much time talking about the Rush Limbaugh of Sports.