Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indy's Future at Shooting Guard?

Default Indy's Future at Shooting Guard?

Who's Indy's future at shooting guard? Is it Stephen Jackson? Marquis Daniels? Or someone else?

EDIT: forgot the poll, can an admin please add one?

Default Re: Indy's Future at Shooting Guard?

I'm strongly in favor of Marquis Daniels. I just feel he's a far superior all-around basketball player to Stephen Jackson. He can't hit from downtown, but he does everything else so much better. If he can become even a so-so (33%ish) 3-point shooter, he'll be something special.

I'll go with "neither." If we're forced to choose, I'd probably choose Jackson. Marquis hasn't yet shown that he's capable of being a superior player.

I choose:
    "Someone Else"

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I choose:
    "Someone Else"

-Bball
    :

Great minds think alike... and ours too.

Rawle.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

What do you mean by "future" If you mean two or three seasons, then I think Marshal might be the answer, but not this year or next

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it could be Marquis, but I think he's best suited as a 6th man who comes in and brings defense and energy. Right now there is no question the best man for the job is Jack.

I think Rawle could be that guy in 2 years.

What about Dwyane Wade? He's looked pretty good so far, maybe we could get him for David Harrison? They could use a dominant force in the post since Shaq is retiring soon.

I think it's probably Jax through his contract, it's interesting Rawle is what you would want I suppose a defensive minded guy who gets stats without having his number called. Rawle has actually done a better at this than DG, but it's early. Daniels has not nearly hit his stride, look at his numbers at Dallas, I think he's will have twice the impact he is now by Christmas, but I am pleased that he quietly seems to be able to put up numbers, to me that's always telling that you look at the box at the end of the game and they have much better numbers than expected. A side note, look at Marquis numbers from his first full year and compare them to Grangers, pretty close. So to answer the question, I would say your 2 guard of the immediate future, the next 3 years is here in Jax and your long term shooting guard is still in college somewhere, imho.

I think the starter two years from now will be either a draft pick or someone we traded for. Marquis has an outside chance. Marshall would be a pleasant surprise.

I'm quite certain Marquis would be a 16/6/4/2/48% All-Defense player if he played 35 minutes a game. His game is very similar to Larry Hughes, except I think Quis can be better.

Eric Gordon?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Banned

Someone else gets my vote, these two can't cut it for sure.

Why, exactly, can't Marquis Daniels "cut it"? He's more than "cut it" when he's started for the Mavs the past few seasons. Why couldn't he "cut it" for us? Does Marquis have a single weakness outside of his poor long distance shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    Why, exactly, can't Marquis Daniels "cut it"? He's more than "cut it" when he's started for the Mavs the past few seasons. Why couldn't he "cut it" for us? Does Marquis have a single weakness outside of his poor long distance shooting?
    He plays out of control sometimes..but I still like him a hell of alot more then I do Jack. Marquis reminds me of Ginobli in some ways in terms of how he handles the basketball. A little reckless, but he somehow manages to get into the lane with possession of the ball and lay it in for an easy 2. Jack can't do that. I think we need to post Jack up more often to fully utilize him as our SG. I'm sick of him hoisting up 3's unless he's hitting them.

Our future at SG could be Marshall though. He needs more muscle on his frame and some experience, but he could really be something special.

Rawle Marshall has been impressive so far, but only relatively impressive, relative to being a complete unknown before this season. He still has to prove he can be a quality backup on a full-time basis before we even get to him possibly starting. Right now, hes James Jones #2 to me. And I should point out, Rawle Marshall is an even worse 3 point shooter than Quis. So to those who think Quis isn't capable of starting due to his shooting, I see no way possible you can defend Rawle Marshall as the Pacers SG of the Future at this point in time.

I'm also a little baffled by people judging Marquis after 5 games after the backlash I took over the Granger thread. I guess 107 minutes is enough playing time to judge a SG, but 146 minutes isn't near enough to judge a SF.

I want Rawle to get his chance. I think he's a guy that will put up 15ppg if given the minutes. Most important, he will get that 15 without shooting 15-20 times. I would like to see what he can do when they call plays for him. He seems to have a great knack for getting in the hole or getting fouled. Also, he plays D, has the right attitude and has the chance to get a lot better.

Between Quis and Jack, I would take Quis. He is younger, a better ball handler, a good play maker and a great defender. We have other guys who love to shoot it like Al and JO. In any event, Jack might not be an available choice long term.

EDIT: Jack will start all of this year IMO.....unless traded or cut due to being convicted of the felony charge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I want Rawle to get his chance. I think he's a guy that will put up 15ppg if given the minutes. Most important, he will get that 15 without shooting 15-20 times. I would like to see what he can do when they call plays for him. He seems to have a great knack for getting in the hole or getting fouled. Also, he plays D, has the right attitude and has the chance to get a lot better.

Between Quis and Jack, I would take Quis. He is younger, a better ball handler, a good play maker and a great defender. We have other guys who love to shoot it like Al and JO. In any event, Jack might not be an available choice long term.

being EDIT: Jack will start all of this year IMO.....unless traded or cut due to convicted of the felony charge.
    One can only hope that he is traded whilehe still has some value.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    His game is very similar to Larry Hughes

In that case, trade him now!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

In that case, trade him now!
    Luckily this is not actually the case. He is in no way ball dominant, and he clearly shows restraint on his shot selection. He's put up a couple of long ones, but typically he'll pass them up in search of something juicier inside.

I still don't like him as the starting SG though, not unless Danny truly becomes a 38-40% shooting SF. I LOVE Daniels as the 6th man coming in behind the SG and SF however. That's a great role for him, one that should pay out in lots of playing time for a long time to come if he embraces it.

Of course in a few weeks if Jack has found that hot streak he has always found his way into before then suddenly he'll be more in vogue and crap like this will go away somewhat. The fact is that Jack isn't exactly old himself and is playing some good ball too.

The only issue I've really seen so far is a lack of team coherency. I think that is why we see them settle on jumpers too often, where the TOs come from, and why so much of the offense seems disjointed.

Otherwise I think everyone has made good on what we expected their game to look like at this point, though Sarunas surprised us a little and Jack has been a lot better in everything than expected except shooting, which is oddly really, really low (yes, even for him haters).

I have to admit I'm a lot less worried now than I was coming out of preseason. I can see how this team will get it together, and on the defensive end they've been a lot stronger than I expected and should only get better.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Eric Gordon?
    I like where your heads at. Let's get it done!

Seriously, you are a troll. You only posted this thread to voice your view on how Marquis is some amazing player waiting to break out while Jack is holding him back.

Jack is by far our best SG option and I just don't understand how the hell you fail to comprehend that. The man plays hurt, averages 16+ PPG the past 3 seasons, is a very good defender, and has nice range.

Just because he's a streaky shooter doesn't mean Marquis Daniels or Rawle Marshall are better, lol. Get a grip.

Pacesetter

My prediction is that we'll get our shooting guard and center from the same stable.

Who cares. Play Jack and Quis at the same time some. That's what I'd like to see. Hell, in tonght's Orlando game, I was watching hoping he'd get a few minutes (Quis that is) at point just to D up on Nelson when he got hot. They were wearing him out on JT for a while.

I guess I'd say my ideal future SG is probably not on the roster based on what I have seen so far, which is not a lot to go on. If forced for the near future, I'd still say Jack is the best bet. He's not playing bad this season.

Tonight he showed restraint several times and make key extra passes. His assists numbers are solid this year. He's kept under control so far, generally looks to be more team oriented, and plays reasonable D. In fact vs. Orlando I thought he played a perfect all around game for a #3 or #4 scoring option. In the second half anyway. Quis was key of the bench keeping us close in the first half, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Seriously, you are a troll. You only posted this thread to voice your view on how Marquis is some amazing player waiting to break out while Jack is holding him back.

Jack is by far our best SG option and I just don't understand how the hell you fail to comprehend that. The man plays hurt, averages 16+ PPG the past 3 seasons, is a very good defender, and has nice range.

Just because he's a streaky shooter doesn't mean Marquis Daniels or Rawle Marshall are better, lol. Get a grip.
    There is not a large talent difference between Jack and Quis. That much is reflected in their compensation. However, Jack is ranked above Quis for now.

Jack is the better perimeter shooter for sure...but his streakiness subtracts much of the value of that advantage he has over Quis. Otherwise, it is largely a wash. Jack might be able to handle bigger guards, Quis might be better handling quick ones. Quis can handle the ball much better and can play PG. Jack cannot. Both are turnover prone. Both can make assists. One has a felony charge, the other does not.

No, there is not a huge difference here. Not how you describe it at least.

...and although Marshall is my favorite, he cannot be considered at that level until he proves much, much more.