Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granger - Disappointing?

Default Granger - Disappointing?

So whats up Mr. Danger? We all had sky high expectations for ihm going into this seaosn *removed*. Is it just a slow start or do you think everyone here went overboard with the Granger love in the offseason?

Default Re: Granger - Disappointing?

True there has been plenty of DG love. At the same time there was also a lot of concern that playing him along side Al and JO would limit him. I would agree that he's been a slight disappointment, but my expectations were not skyhigh. Plus, just five games in it could prove to be a slump or he could progress. There are a lot more guys playing that haven't showed me a lot than have.

I think Danny is going to have to eventually play a more vital role in the offense to reach peak effectiveness. I am one of those that believes he should be used like Pippen. I am sure its more of a feeling out process at the moment but I am concerned about what role he is going to play.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

people love to jump the gun so early, we are only 4 games into the season lets wait and see how it unfolds.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

He's not getting 20 a game, which we'd all like, but I thought he's looked pretty good out there in the 2 games I've seen. His jumper's been off, but he brings more to the table than just that.

His numbers are better than last year, when he was a rookie. What are you expecting to see from Granger if 10/6 is "dog crap?"

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    people love to jump the gun so early, we are only 4 games into the season lets wait and see how it unfolds.
    Good point.

OneHappyFan

DG is going to be fine, I think he just have to work more in the flow of the offence. One thing I have noticed is that he is not very good driving to the basket with the ball, to often he gets stripped going to the hole. I think he gets going to fast and is not aware of the defenders around him.

NaptownBound

it's only been five games people! chillax.

The thing we need to remember about Granger is how quickly he picked up on learning two different positions last season. He's proven to be a fast learner, I think we should be patient, and I don't think he'll dissapoint.

I think his problem is that he might not be confident or comfortable enough on the offensive end. You see him making nice defensive stops and picking up nice rebounds because he's comfortable there. His offensive game is obviously lacking comfort. I think he questions his own decision making, thinking too much about a shot before letting it go, showing he's about to drive instead of just doing it.

I noticed early in the 76ers game the other night, Rawle Marshall came in and blew the place up. I think Granger saw what he was doing and decided to turn the temperature up. That's when he scored the final 8 points of the 3rd quarter. I think Danny will be fine, but he needs to work on his confidence and assertiveness offensively.

I'm sure he's more disappointed in himself than we are...Starting in the NBA takes a little getting used to, no?

I think RC will eventually have to change the starting lineup. Danny just doesn't seem to feel comfortable in his role as a defender. Maybe the thing to do is go with the following:

Starter - Pos. - Reserve
    JO - PF - Powell
    Al - SF - Jax2
    Foster - C - Harrison/Baston
    Granger - SG - Daniels/Sarunas
    Tinsley - PG - Sarunas/Armstrong

The reason being Granger would be freer to do what he seems to do naturally - think offense first, defense second. I know what RC wants him to do and by all accounts he is capable, but right now it just seems as though he's a fish out of water. Besides, our Guards aren't hitting on all cylinders right now. Maybe moving Granger to SG will be a spark.

Al doesn't seem to be quite comfortable at Center either. He's only had one breakout game from this position thus far against NY, but otherwise, he's not hitting on all cylinders either.

I know we're only 5 games into the season - it's still very early - but the way I see it this team will ride the backs of JO and Tinsley, but they will survice only if Al, Granger and Jax2 are finally able to consistently contribute on offense alot more than they have to date. I think a lineup change is inevitable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    So whats up Mr. Danger? We all had sky high expectations for ihm going into this seaosn *removed*. Is it just a slow start or do you think everyone here went overboard with the Granger love in the offseason?

Danny will get it going, it may have something to do with all the new players and he is tying to fit in.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyFan View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that he is not very good driving to the basket with the ball.
    And he's not very good at shooting outside.

That leaves us with . . . . ?

I just don't think Granger is a good offensive player. He's a great defender and great intangibles guy. I would consider him a Foster-type player who is decent with the outside shot (not great) and can be a bit more of an offensive threat. And he's a better defender than Jeff, and comparable in rebounding.

I think the McKey analogy on Danny is going to be accurate.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I think RC will eventually have to change the starting lineup. Danny just doesn't seem to feel comfortable in his role as a defender. Maybe the thing to do is go with the following:

Starter - Pos. - Reserve
    JO - PF - Powell
    Al - SF - Jax2
    Foster - C - Harrison/Baston
    Granger - SG - Daniels/Sarunas
    Tinsley - PG - Sarunas/Armstrong

The reason being Granger would be freer to do what he seems to do naturally - think offense first, defense second. I know what RC wants him to do and by all accounts he is capable, but right now it just seems as though he's a fish out of water. Besides, our Guards aren't hitting on all cylinders right now. Maybe moving Granger to SG will be a spark.

Al doesn't seem to be quite comfortable at Center either. He's only had one breakout game from this position thus far against NY, but otherwise, he's not hitting on all cylinders either.

I know we're only 5 games into the season - it's still very early - but the way I see it this team will ride the backs of JO and Tinsley, but they will survice only if Al, Granger and Jax2 are finally able to consistently contribute on offense alot more than they have to date. I think a lineup change is inevitable.

Danny is doing just fine defensively, and he is a defense first player, offense second. I don't think there will be a lineup change unless we consistently prove that we're not able to get it going offensively early. I think on the defensive end, we're pretty good.. could use some tuning, but that'll come as this team gels together. Remember, we have 8 new faces. There's going to be ups and downs, even with the players from last years team.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyFan View Post
    DG is going to be fine, I think he just have to work more in the flow of the offence. One thing I have noticed is that he is not very good driving to the basket with the ball, to often he gets stripped going to the hole. I think he gets going to fast and is not aware of the defenders around him.
    I noticed this also. Danny needs to work on his ball handling badly. People always want to compare him to Scottie and I see why because he looks so much like him physically, but Pippen was great with the ball and Granger just looks uncomfortable with it.

Dannys gonna be good, but if he wants to reach his full potential and not end up like our boy Mckey (which wouldn't be terrible) he needs to be able to put the ball on the floor.

Danny is taking good, open jumpers. Let him settle into the role for a month or so, and then I suspect those jumpers will fall a little more regularly. He consistently shots the ball long, which points towards Granger trying too hard. He'll settle down, and I would expect him to average 12-15 points a game by midseason.

RedPitSea

Guys its only 5 games and how many are in a NBA season 82 or something like that? Danny feeds off his D in order to get his O running. Thats just how he works. If you have ever noticed he'll block a big shot and in turn knock down a big 3 or a nice mid range 2.
    Im warning you now dont ever doubt this guy because in the end all that doubted him end up looking bad. Ask the 13-14 teams that passed on him. Give the guy a little time to gel with the team and he do very well. Remember hes never started a full 82 games season and even last year he was all over the depth chart from starting to 3-4 man off. A little time adjusting to the new players and just flat out getting adjusted with everything will take time. Dont give up yet people you will soon remember why you loved this player so much. He embodies everything right with your team.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

When the Pippen comparison was made it included the SLOW PROGRESSION Pippen had in his career. I didn't realize anyone was even surprised by DG's output so far.

What did you expect 5 games into his sophmore year and his first shot at really starting with a full, healthy roster? Sheesh.

This is the year that he LEARNS TO PLAY BETTER, not "gets instantly better at the end of camp". The projection isn't even that next year he'll be awesome. As long as he keeps improving for about 4 seasons straight (big progression, not improving one small thing in the summer like vets do) he'll end up being the guy hoped for.

You know, normal, healthy development. When a guy like Wade comes out year 1 and goes off, that just means that he's going to become even more insanely good. DG is coming along pretty well when you look at his draft class, which is how he has to be measured.

I think Danny will be fine as well. He seems a little lost at times and also seems to be pressing too much on offense. Give him some time, it is only his second year.

Holy crap! I can't believe this thread. Maybe you should trade him? He has been a disappointment so far this season, huh? I gave Indiana fans a lot of props for their support of Danny last year. I didn't think they were going to be so quick to pull the rug out. He'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by loborick View Post
    Holy crap! I can't believe this thread. Maybe you should trade him? He has been a disappointment so far this season, huh? I gave Indiana fans a lot of props for their support of Danny last year. I didn't think they were going to be so quick to pull the rug out. He'll be just fine.

To be fair, it was one guy against Danny with everyone else on PD backing Granger up.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    To be fair, it was one guy against Danny with everyone else on PD backing Granger up.
    And the "one guy" has been working his way through the roster with "Can you believe player X? He sucks!"

At this rate, he'll be out of players by december, and through with the coaching staff by Christmas. Then we'll all be treated to "Can you believe our PAC 10 college scout? He sucks!" "Can you believe our Eastern European scout? He sucks!"

Or maybe he'll get bored before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    And the "one guy" has been working his way through the roster with "Can you believe player X? He sucks!"

At this rate, he'll be out of players by december, and through with the coaching staff by Christmas. Then we'll all be treated to "Can you believe our PAC 10 college scout? He sucks!" "Can you believe our Eastern European scout? He sucks!"

Or maybe he'll get bored before then.
    My questions is: When is he going to weigh in on the absence of Pom-Pom Girl?

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    My questions is: When is he going to weigh in on the absence of Pom-Pom Girl?
    So Pom-Pom Girl is missing from Conseco? So she wasn't a real fan afterall...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

What bothers me is the fact that Granger has yet to prove himself to be capable of being the type of scorer most of you want him to be, yet everyone here is acting like it's a guarantee to happen. I'd be far less worried about his offensive start this year if he had already proven himself in the past, but he hasn't.