Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone hear the Harrison to the Bulls rumor?

Default Re: Did anyone hear the Harrison to the Bulls rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David Harrison and pure domination in the same sentence who would have thought you'd see the day...

Oh and genius, James White is already on another NBA roster, the Spurs. They have a pretty good history of judging talent.
    I backed up my "pure domination" claims with cold hard facts.

And James White will most likely play in about 30 minutes total this season before heading to either the NBDL or Europe. The guy just doesn't have NBA ability.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Please be accurate. Someone called and said that he heard it from his brother.
    That information in no way changes the merit of this discussion.

What is this, the Karl Rove method of sports discussion. Just call into a show with and mention something and half the listeners miss the source and jump only on the content. Three days later your crackpot call has become the current truth.

"Seems like the Bulls are in the market to move a first rounder to bring in another big. Are the Bulls trying to trade for David Harrison? I'm not saying they are, I'm just asking."

Bingo, the trade is on.

In those games that Harrison dominated the Pacers went 13-10.
    He had 4 or more fouls in 15 of those games including fouling out vs Orlando, 4 in 10 vs charlotte,3 in 10 in the playoff game,4 in the 15 vs Boston and 4 in the 19 vs NOH.
    He registered 5 or less rebounds in 9 of those games.
    He had 5 to vs Orlando.
    He shot 602 from the stripe and went to the line 5 times or less in 13 of those games while hitting double digit attempts twice in his career.
    I didn't bother to look at the other teams centers while matched up vs Harrison's big minute games.

You're over-rating the guy. In all 23 games you noted, he averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds and those are the good games. He did average a little under two blocks but he also averged a little under four fouls all in 24.3 minutes a game.

With that being said, you can find other players who put up similiar numbers to Harrison. Guys like Robert Swift or Kendrick Perkins or to some extent Brendan Haywood and I wouldn't trade a first round pick for those guys or say they dominate anything except maybe the buffets on a couple of 'em.

I don't think this particular rumor is true, but I did have some points:

1) It makes sense for Indiana to trade Harrison for either a potential starting guard or a draft pick because his path is blocked.

2) It is reasonable for the Pacers to expect a non-lottery draft pick in return because of the potential of Harrison and the rarity of his size.

3) The Bulls make sense as a team that would have interest in Harrison.

It's also worth noting that Harrison fouled out in under 20 minutes six times last year, and that doesn't take into account the times that Carlisle pulled him out before he had a chance to foul out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    In those games that Harrison dominated the Pacers went 13-10.
    Hardly his fault. One of the main reasons Harrisons gotten minutes in the first place is because so many of our crucial players have been hurt or suspended the past 2 seasons.

He had 4 or more fouls in 15 of those games including fouling out vs Orlando, 4 in 10 vs charlotte,3 in 10 in the playoff game,4 in the 15 vs Boston and 4 in the 19 vs NOH.
    As mentioned, fouls have been his biggest issue.

He registered 5 or less rebounds in 9 of those games.
    He had 5 to vs Orlando.
    He shot 602 from the stripe and went to the line 5 times or less in 13 of those games while hitting double digit attempts twice in his career.
    I didn't bother to look at the other teams centers while matched up vs Harrison's big minute games.
    Rebounding isnt his strong suite, but as mentioned, it improved fairly significantly from his rookie to sophomore seasons.

You're over-rating the guy. In all 23 games you noted, he averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds and those are the good games. He did average a little under two blocks but he also averaged a little under four fouls all in 24.3 minutes a game.
    Those were the majority of games in which Harrison played significant minutes. You cant put up impressive stat lines without being given the opportunity to do so.

I'm quite confident that if given 30 minutes a game, Harrison could put up 13/8/2 right now and with more minutes and more experience, 17/10/3 isn't out of the question.

You also fail to mention what his total field goal percentage was in those games. I'd guss around 70%.

With that being said, you can find other players who put up similiar numbers to Harrison. Guys like Robert Swift or Kendrick Perkins or to some extent Brendan Haywood and I wouldn't trade a first round pick for those guys or say they dominate anything except maybe the buffets on a couple of 'em.
    All three our worth a 1st. Swift was a lottery pick 2 seasons ago and has been fairly impressive. Perkins has shown signs of being a great center himself and is well worth atleast a mid-1st, if not lottery. Haywood had some promise once upon a time, and is still worth atleast a late 1st. Still, I wasn't as impressed with any of their game logs as I was with Harrison's.

Mamluk

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    Bottomline: when David Harrison gets sufficient minutes, more often than not he produces.
    OR when he produces, more often than not he gets sufficient minutes.

But really, after that { http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26015 } interview, you have to be his fan. He sounds smart.

Cheers,
    Mamluk

I hope they deal him for a 2nd rounder. If they somehow swindled a 1st I'd be ecstatic.

David Harrison is not a good player. His defense is horrible, his game is sloppy on both ends, he has not shown improvement, and he is and always has been easily frustrated. He'll probably be in your Russian League before White, who by the way is virtually guaranteed to be going to the playoffs this year.

Sports Logo

For those that have watched Harrison play, which best describes him?

A ) We have only seen flashes of brilliance from Harrison and is only being held back by Carlisle ( whether its the way that he runs his offense or limited minutes )

B ) Over the last 2 seasons, Harrison has peaked and that no amount of playing time will make any differece. What we see of Harrison now ( constant foul trouble but has a somewhat good offensive game for a Center ) is what we will see from him for the rest of his career.

C ) A combination of both (A) and (B), some of it maybe Carlisle's fault ( lack of confidence in him and therefore gives him limited minutes ) and Harrison's fault ( constant foul trouble and not learning from his mistakes ). As a result, he may become a better player...if given minutes....but nothing more then an acceptable Backup Center.

My choice is (C). I think that Big Men take time to develop and given time.....he can get to the point where we can see his talent-level plateau......but we shouldn't expect him to be a Starting Center....but more as an acceptable 2nd option ( at best ) or an solid 3rd option Center. I don't expect him to be a starter......but a solid 3rd option Center that can be used as a huge screen for our Guards to run around.

I have lowered my expectations on Harrison cuz I hope that he has some potential to be better....just not much more potential.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

woman without a team

What has Tyrus Thomas proved that Harrison? He was a higher draft pick? Whoopdy doo. Using your illogical logic, Stromile Swift is better than Ben Wallace and Brad Miller combined.
    Have you even seen Tyrus play?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

HOW BOUT THAT DAVID HARRISON TONIGHT PACERSFAN83??? MIGHT AS WELL HAND HIM THE STARTING JOB RIGHT NOW.

Dudes a scrub. Its obvious now. He has to have the bball IQ of my left nut.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Jesus, I didn't see the game, but what'd he do so badly? Looking at the box score, it seems like he did alright. I'd chill a bit dude.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Jesus, I didn't see the game, but what'd he do so badly? Looking at the box score, it seems like he did alright. I'd chill a bit dude.
    18 minutes, 3 points, 5 boards. Yeah thats pretty good you're right.

Dude was claiming when DH gets PT he is automatically a dominant force. Well tonight was a perfect chance with lots of PT with a questionable interior defense and he laid an egg, plain and simple.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Dude was claiming when DH gets PT he is automatically a dominant force. Well tonight was a perfect chance with lots of PT with a questionable interior defense and he laid an egg, plain and simple.

No doubt Harrison did not look good tonight, but did anyone look good?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

First of all, in 18 minutes, 5 rebounds is perfectly acceptable and 3 blocks is fantastic.
    And as I said in the other thread, he took a whopping 2 shots. He made 1 of them. If ball hogs like Jackson and Jasikevicius (who shot a combined 3-17 ) would know their role and pass him the ball, the team wouldn't have shot 38% and wouldn't have been utterly humiliated by a middle of the pack team like the Wizards.

Now please go drool over James "NBA caliber? Not Quite" White

First of all, in 18 minutes, 5 rebounds is perfectly acceptable and 3 blocks is fantastic.
    83, like you I have a little more faith or make that hope that Harrison will improve. However, sometimes you can polish a turd and it's still a turd. Many of David's rebounds came in the sloppy 4th. He didn't have a pretty game last night no matter how it is spinned. Once again though everyone looked pretty bad so the verdict is still out for me. I think the guy presses too much when he is out there thinking he's going to be pulled quick. Thus he get's into this scrambling mode thinking he has to cover everybody. Of course it didn't help considering the penetration by the Wiz guards.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

And as I said in the other thread, he took a whopping 2 shots. He made 1 of them. If ball hogs like Jackson and Jasikevicius (who shot a combined 3-17 ) would know their role and pass him the ball, the team wouldn't have shot 38% and wouldn't have been utterly humiliated by a middle of the pack team like the Wizards.

Now please go drool over James "NBA caliber? Not Quite" White
    You're really hitting this one hard, man. Is there some deep-seated need to bag on Harrison?

Harrison has the capability to be a very good backup center or a decent starter. But he's not going to get there without PT.

First of all, it was just one game. A players worth can't be fairly evaluated by just a couple of games but a collection of games. I'm not anymore high or any less high on David Harrison's future. You're lying to yourself when trying to defend his performance against the Wizards though. He got a block on the first possesion and then fell apart. That second foul on Thomas was ridiculous. He tried to take his head off instead of playing NBA defense. He once again proved his immaturity, and with only like 3 and half minutes elapsed. It's not like he and Thomas had been going at it for 35 minutes. I repeat three and half minutes. All of his other stats came at the end of the game in mop up time. If Harrison doesn't right his ship the Pacers may just let him vanish at sea. Based on his performance throughout his career, not just one game, he does this all the time. Emotions and fouls are part of the game. If you can't control them how is that any different than throwing the ball away?

If that trade happened, I'd believe all that trade exception for moving committee votes or whatever that Donnie Walsh pulled off. He'd have to be giving people offers they can't refuse.

I reeeeeeally hate to break this to some of you ..... but this draft is not deep at any position. Sorry.

and Jasikevicius (who shot a combined 3-17 ) would know their role and pass him the ball,
    Um, yeah, I have to call BS on this one. Cabbages and Hulk have a freaking mind-meld going. SJ typically looks addicated to passing to David. I feel safe in saying that most of SarJas assists last year or this have come with David on the scoring end.

David does it to himself. He struggles for post position often, rebounding position is worse, he is the king of the pointless, silly foul, and then he eventually loses his temper and effectively removes himself from the game.

IF he gets post position and they get the ball to him, then he's extremely tough. Great footwork with the ball in the post, very polished. He's nowhere near that good in getting the position in the first place, which is why the high PnR between he and Cabbages has been the staple of his scoring output.

And Cable, try mixing in an option that doesn't include where you think Rick is a moron who can't coach. Does Rick not use him even though he's good or does he just suck because Rick never developed him?

How about RC is not deaf, dumb and blind and notices things like his center picking up his 3rd foul, or hulking out on a ref, or getting abused on the defensive end when out of position? He gets him in games and calls his number within the next few possessions all the time.

Get back to me when he doesn't do that in fact. After that David has to impose himself into the flow a little bit. They can't spend 20 seconds of shot clock waiting on him to work himself free below the FT tip ring.

I like David's strengths and his potential, but I have concerns about how much of it he will ever meet. I don't want him gone and I expect him to have plenty of strong games. But the fact is that he appears to be a guy that could have a lot more than plenty; they could be the norm if he'd just figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I like David's strengths and his potential, but I have concerns about how much of it he will ever meet. I don't want him gone and I expect him to have plenty of strong games. But the fact is that he appears to be a guy that could have a lot more than plenty; they could be the norm if he'd just figure it out.
    That will never happen though Seth. Look if Harrison doesn't look any better with being tutored by Jabbar then forget it. Oh, wait it's that Bynum guy who has a big man coach in Jabbar and starting to really open eyes.

The Pacers think having Harrison work with Chuck and JO (when he is injured) is enough. Of course we know Harrison doesn't want to improve so why try? After all he gained all that weight over the summer because he's too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    That will never happen though Seth. Look if Harrison doesn't look any better with being tutored by Jabbar then forget it. Oh, wait it's that Bynum guy who has a big man coach in Jabbar and starting to really open eyes.

The Pacers think having Harrison work with Chuck and JO (when he is injured) is enough. Of course we know Harrison doesn't want to improve so why try? After all he gained all that weight over the summer because he's too lazy.
    There's truth there.

Chuck Person is our big man coach. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You're really hitting this one hard, man. Is there some deep-seated need to bag on Harrison?

Harrison has the capability to be a very good backup center or a decent starter. But he's not going to get there without PT.
    You're obviously misreading. I've been the one defending Harrison throughout the whole topic.

Well it's finally happening. Harrison is going to the Bulls tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    There's truth there.

Chuck Person is our big man coach. Yikes.
    Have you not been near Chuck in person recently?
    Dude would drop dead if he had to run with the SG/SFs.

My view on this more seriously is that Harrison's FOOT WORK in the post is the best thing about his game, so I don't see the problem there. It's not about being taught I don't think, it's about effort and ability to read ever-changing situations.

Look, you can coach a guy on what to do in a certain situation, but smart players learn the reasons behind those methods and can apply them when the situation changes during the game. They use different methods to reach the same goal, while a player than doesn't understand what they are learning will just try to pound those same methods into a situation where they won't work.

I have my concerns that David is this type of player. When players like Jack and Tinsley are able to more easily get post position than Harrison, I have doubts that's it's just a lack of coaching. He can't adjust when team's deny him post position in unexpected or aggressive ways, or when plays just blow up and need some improvation.

To me David is a VERY good player when everything is laid out in a familiar way for him during the game. If he can get into a comfort spot then he plays very well, but if he's not starting from a familiar situation he struggles to adapt or improvise. And that's not just as simple as being a young player. Some guys have instincts for that stuff and some never do get it.

Naturally it improves the more you play because eventually you do start to see even the odd plays enough for them to look familiar. But experience or coaching don't have an equal impact on all players...athletic ability isn't the only aspect to potential.

David might just end up being a guy that only looks great in certain circumstances tailored to help him find his way. That would mean that he'll never hit starter level ability, even if Jabbar was brought in to coach him.