Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, now I'm frustrated. (League Pass Problems)

Default Ok, now I'm frustrated. (League Pass Problems)

Holy cow, I'm annoyed.

I finally broke down. I didn't really have the money, but I decided that the day had come. I was going to get League Pass and get every Pacer game. I was ready.

So I call up Time Warner Cable, my Cincinnati cable provider, to order League Pass, only to discover that the Indiana Pacers are blacked out.

Is this for real? As far as I can tell, I can't get FSI (I assume that's Fox Sports Indiana) and I can't get League Pass. I can't watch any games except for National broadcasts.

Can this be right?

Default Re: Ok, now I'm frustrated. (League Pass Problems)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy cow, I'm annoyed.

I finally broke down. I didn't really have the money, but I decided that the day had come. I was going to get League Pass and get every Pacer game. I was ready.

So I call up Time Warner Cable, my Cincinnati cable provider, to order League Pass, only to discover that the Indiana Pacers are blacked out.

Is this for real? As far as I can tell, I can't get FSI (I assume that's Fox Sports Indiana) and I can't get League Pass. I can't watch any games except for National broadcasts.

Can this be right?
    I don't see how it could be. The way it's supposed to work is they black out your local team (the team that's on TV in your town). So, any game that's blacked out on league pass should be shown somewhere else. I'd definitely get on the horn with a rep and give them an earful until it's fixed.

I always thought blackouts were restricted to a 60-mile radius. Did you move Cincinnati closer to Indy or something?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I always thought blackouts were restricted to a 60-mile radius. Did you move Cincinnati closer to Indy or something?
    I'm guessing it's a 100-mile radius. That's all I can figure.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. They could be right, too. The radius. Man, that's lame.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Wow. They could be right, too. The radius. Man, that's lame.
    So is there a solution? Or am I just screwed?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't think that this is right at all. I just refuse to believe it.

At the very least, you can now download all the games online.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

What about this broadband thing they have now? Cant you order it and watch the games on your comp?

If I am reading this correctly, maybe Cincinnati is within the Pacers over-the-air territory.

I know when I lived in Fort Wayne, the Pacers games on Fox Sports midwest were blacked out but what I did was I ordered all the local sports channels. But I don't think you can do that with digital cable.

I would first try to find out if Cincy is within the Pacers over the air territory. If they are, then I don't think you have any alternative, except to change to directv

This is from DirecTV's website

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/con...ssetId=1000009

Blackout Rules for NBA Games

Blackout restrictions apply to all NBA games that are offered on NBA LEAGUE PASS. Such blackout restrictions are designed to protect the television rightsholders in the competing teams' respective home markets. Blackouts are not based on arena sellouts.

Local Broadcasts
    If a local over-the-air network has the rights to broadcast an NBA game in its local area, customers in that area will be unable to receive that game via their satellite service. However, they may be able to see the game via their local channels.

Example of How Blackouts Work
    The Lakers are playing the Rockets and both teams are broadcasting the game locally — KCAL-9 in the Los Angeles area and FSN SOUTHWEST in the Houston area. NBA LEAGUE PASS scribers living in the Los Angeles area will be blacked out within the Lakers' over-the-air territory. To see the game, they must be able to receive KCAL. Subscribers living outside of the KCAL coverage area will receive the game via NBA LEAGUE PASS unless they live in the Houston area. Subscribers in the Houston area will be blacked out of the game in NBA LEAGUE PASS, but subscribers can view the game on their over-the-air television station or their local regional sports network (RSN) — included with TOTAL CHOICE programming and Local Channels.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the days when I had league pass, I learned that blackouts territories are determined by zip code. If (and this is a big IF) you can get a rep that understands how the blackouts work, they will be able to tell you if you are in a protected area or be able to give you the real reason for your black out of the game. Unfortunatly, your more then likely you will get a rep that doesn't know his head from his *** and he/she will read you line #18 off the script and be totally of no help.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So is there a solution? Or am I just screwed?
    Maybe if you found another cable company that's out of the radius but where you can still get service from....obviously not an easy thing to do.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, maybe Cincinnati is within the Pacers over-the-air territory.

I know when I lived in Fort Wayne, the Pacers games on Fox Sports midwest were blacked out but what I did was I ordered all the local sports channels. But I don't think you can do that with digital cable.
    I asked the rep this afternoon, and he said he didn't think it was possible. I'll try again Monday, but this is some serious craziness.

Is BitTorrent really my only alternative?

I live in Fort Wayne and have seen Pacers games on League Pass for the last 3-4 seasons. League Pass will black you out but FSN Midwest doesn't, at least not since I've been watching. In fact, even without League Pass I've always been able to see the Pacers games on FSN Midwest thanks to Sportspack (since the default FSN channel in Fort Wayne is FSN Chicago now known as Comcast Sportsnet).

So....if you have League Pass AND Sportspack (which gives you access to ALL the FSN stations) then a person in Fort Wayne can see every game with no blackouts.

Not sure how this situation applies to Anthem's situation but I agree with others that I honestly can't see that being possible.

What about Direct TV or something?
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_Pacerfan View Post
    What about Direct TV or something?
    It's still League Pass. I watched the game but I get FSI.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is some info. I found. There is info. for other leagues as well at the link, so i only posted the NBA related stuff below.

http://dtv.fxep.com/Blackouts.html

The most commonly asked RSN questions are usually about blackouts. In the world of sports broadcasting, situations arise when FOX Sports Net is not permitted to broadcast games in certain parts of the country. These blackouts are designed to protect the rights to certain games purchased by programmers other than FOX Sports Net.

Blackouts on the Regional Sports Networks are not based on arena sellouts. They are in place to protect the various broadcast rights holders for each game. Each league, NBA, NHL and MLB, determine it's team territories differently. Consequently, and NBA team and a MLB team from the same market will have drastically different local blackouts areas. This can be a confusing subject at times, this section explains the different scenarios in the simplest form.

NBA - Blackout #1
    Regional Coverage Blackout: Subscribers may only watch their home team on their home Regional Sports Network.

Example: Subscribers residing in Denver, CO, receive home team coverage of the Denver Nuggets, which appears on FOX Sports Rocky Mountain. If the Denver Nuggets games were on any other RSN, those subscribers would not be able to receive that game.

NBA - Blackout #2
    Over-the-Air-Blackout: NBA game is being carried locally by an Over-the-Air station. (Refer to OTA Blackout zip codes.)

Situation: The RSN must blackout a radius of 75 miles from the stadium on the non-RSN team to protect the rights of the local over-the-air station.
    Example: FOX Sports Detroit is carrying Detroit Pistons vs. Dallas Mavericks game. In Dallas the local over-the-air station, KDFI, is also broadcasting the game. A 75-mile radius around the Dallas Mavericks arena is blacked out. Anyone living inside this radius has to watch the game on the local station KDFI.
    Comments: As long as a customer has an over-the-air antenna in that 75-mile radius, they should be able to pick up that game on the local over-the-air station.

NBA - Blackout #3
    National Rights Holders - TNT/TBS/NBC have national rights to the NBA. Games will be available through Regional Sports Networks (RSN) to the local territory only.

Example: FOX Sports Detroit and TNT are broadcasting the same Detroit Pistons game. FOX Sports Detroit has primary coverage in the Detroit Pistons territory. TNT has national rights (all areas outside the Detroit Pistons territory) and the game would not be available on any regional sports network.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Situation: The RSN must blackout a radius of 75 miles from the stadium on the non-RSN team to protect the rights of the local over-the-air station.
    Example: FOX Sports Detroit is carrying Detroit Pistons vs. Dallas Mavericks game. In Dallas the local over-the-air station, KDFI, is also broadcasting the game. A 75-mile radius around the Dallas Mavericks arena is blacked out. Anyone living inside this radius has to watch the game on the local station KDFI.
    Comments: As long as a customer has an over-the-air antenna in that 75-mile radius, they should be able to pick up that game on the local over-the-air station.
    This is weird, because I'm pretty sure Cincinnati is more than 75 miles away from Indianapolis.

I really don't understand.

This is weird, because I'm pretty sure Cincinnati is more than 75 miles away from Indianapolis.

I really don't understand.
    That part is talking about " local over-the-air station". That is different from Fox sports Indiana - which is the regional sports network. So I don't think the 75 mile radius rule applies to FSN-IN

That part is talking about " local over-the-air station". That is different from Fox sports Indiana - which is the regional sports network. So I don't think the 75 mile radius rule applies to FSN-IN
    Well I certainly don't get the Pacer's "over the air" broadcasts.

I guess I need to call them up tomorrow and ask for a manager.

WTTV4 isn't carried on cable in Cincy is it? I'm just wondering if your problems might be a holdover from last year when WTTV4 showed several Pacer games? I'm doubting that... (I don't think WTTV's signal reaches that far and I can't imagine it being on Cincy cable) but it wouldn't surprise me, along that vein, to see this have something to do with the FSMW and spinoff FSI. Maybe you get FSMW and so the computer thinks the game is on FSMW so they black out Fox Sports Indiana?

....Or it's somehow related to that bit of silliness with FSMW/FSI which are really kinda the same channel...excpet when they are not...

No Pacer games (unless national) are being broadcast over the air this season. Fox sports got the rights to the package, so don't let OTA blackout be the reason they give you. That would be a holdover from last season and no longer applicable.

Edit: Are you sure you're really blacked out? Maybe the system is right but the reps are wrong.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm not blacked out in New Paris, but Cleveland is considered my "local" team. They are blacked out on mine. You may be screwed, since I don't think the Cincy feed of FSOhio picks up the Cavs games, they may consider the Pacers more "local" than the Cavs, although the games aren't on. Screwed up.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

What a nightmare.

I'm so sorry about this Anthem. Hope you get it straightened out.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Pacers don't have any over the air games on in Indy either

Anthem,

Call the Pacers' front office and tell them your story. Seriously. I'm willing to bet that they might have someone in-house who talks to the cable companies and can give you some answers (and if the cable company is screwing up and not showing games, the Pacers will want to know about that anyway).

EDIT: Another option would be to call the FSN office or the actual NBA League Pass network (if you can find their contact info) and ask them if they're supposed to be blacked out in your area.

Ok, I'm going to attempt to make direct contact with four companies:

Time Warner Cable: (513) 469-1112
    Pacers Sports and Entertainment:
    Fox Sports:
    NBA League Pass:

I'm searching the web right now for contact info. If you have an appropriate contact number, please send it to me.