View Poll Results: What Scoring System Should We use in the Keeper League?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set Lineups Daily (Current System)

9 56.25%
  • Set Lineups Weekly

4 25.00%
  • Don't know or Don't Care

3 18.75%

Thread: KL Scoring Method - Please Vote

Hybrid View

Default KL Scoring Method - Please Vote

OK - now that we're into the season I wanted to raise this issue and see what everyone thinks about it.

When I set up the league, the site offered two scoring methods - one where you set lineups daily, and one where you set them weekly. I chose daily because I thought it would be a way for owners to be more involved on a day-to-day basis and it would reward people who are very involved and check the site frequently. Plus I thought it would be more fun.

I still think all these things - I also think it's not a real good setup for a Keeper League because it penalizes owners who are keeping someone in hopes that he'll be a high-quality player - maybe a superstar - in a couple of years but isn't playing right now.

This doesn't bother me - my team has a bunch of guys playing big minutes who should be keepers for some time to come. But others may have drafted a Tyrus Thomas or be hanging onto a Robert Swift - a guy who may pay off down the road but probably won't help you much this year.

With the daily lineup settings, every player's scores will count on a fairly frequent basis and if you're holding 2-3 players in hopes of a big future payoff, you have an even bigger knock against you than you did before.

So now that we've all had a few days to work with the scoring system I wanted to throw this poll up there. I won't be voting in it (actually I'll use the "don't care" option) but I will take the results as of Monday morning and adjust the league settings appropriately (assuming it lets me - and that option's still there on the commish page so I think it will). This shouldn't have any implications for the ABA - that's a one-season only league so IMO that isn't an issue.

Please use this thread to discuss it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: KL Scoring Method - Please Vote

I like the ability to set the lineup everyday and getting to replace players that are hurt or not playing. This gives one more control of one's team and keeps you from getting stuck with empty numbers. Of course, I like this system better than the old one because I get to use all of my players pooints instead of leaving them on the table. All of my keepers are also major contributors, so I am not having to "stash" anyone.

That said, when I actually become employeed next week, which looks like will happen, my time to devote to this and my other teams will but severly cut. But, then I'll be where everyone else is, so that is only fair. I vote to keep it as is.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the ability to set the lineup everyday and getting to replace players that are hurt or not playing. This gives one more control of one's team and keeps you from getting stuck with empty numbers. Of course, I like this system better than the old one because I get to use all of my players pooints instead of leaving them on the table. All of my keepers are also major contributors, so I am not having to "stash" anyone.

That said, when I actually become employeed next week, which looks like will happen, my time to devote to this and my other teams will but severly cut. But, then I'll be where everyone else is, so that is only fair. I vote to keep it as is.
    First - CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome back to the working world.

Second - your linups can be changed for each day well in advance. I currently have my "rotation" set for the next 10 days.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Second - your linups can be changed for each day well in advance. I currently have my "rotation" set for the next 10 days.
    I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression you can't set a roster more than 7 days at any given time due to this:

Warning: Any changes made to your lineup for any week of the season will override all changes made to future lineups. If, for example, you changed your lineup for week #20 and then change your lineup for week #15, your lineup for week #15 will be applied to all future lineups.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression you can't set a roster more than 7 days at any given time due to this:

Warning: Any changes made to your lineup for any week of the season will override all changes made to future lineups. If, for example, you changed your lineup for week #20 and then change your lineup for week #15, your lineup for week #15 will be applied to all future lineups.
    I was very confused about this one too.

I've tested it and asked NBA.com about it. The only thing that sentence is referring to is that you have to set your lineups chronologically. In other words, if you set your linup for Saturday and then change your linup for Friday, you lose your settings for Saturday and have to redo them.

When I asked NBA.com about the sentence, they said that if my league is set for daily lineup changes, the sentence should read "days" not "weeks".

I haven't really told the ABA league about it because, frankly, if Kerosene had rotated his players so that all positions were filled on a daily basis, he would have cleaned my clock. Instead, I have a fairly healthy lead.

I'll send him an email after our game is over.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I am all in favour of keeping it on a day to day option, it is part of what makes it fun to play, the toying with the lineup, if player A has a bad week, player B can be replacing him injuries, demotions etc they don't cost you a week, just one night.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Many ABA owners don't know that they can rotate guys in and out of thier linup.

I have mixed feelings since I have a few "future players" who wouldn't be on my roster with the goal winning right now.

It stinks being penalized for that, but I think that most people are in the same boat.

I voted for not changing, since I figure to pick up some points from people not so clear on the concept of regularly adjusting the lineup.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I'm going to vote don't care but here is my 2cents.

I like neither systems because:
    (1) weekly: I don't like it for the very same reasons mentioned before. Sitting on our hands for a weeks making the game not very entertaining.
    (2) daily: I don't like this because it turns the game (in my opinion) into a race of who-is-the-most-active-owner instead who-is-the-best-gm.

Another thing that I don't like (and this applies to both weekly and daily) is that since the game is a weekly scoring system, you can run into a case where I only have 2 games from VC for that week while my oponent might have 4 games out of Kobe (for example). Yes, I will have 4 games from VC the following week but if that was a playoff game, I won't survive until next week for that to matter.

Thats a tough call, I like the idea of being able to stash some players like on the injured list but also like the flexi of every day changes

can somone just give me a brief rundown of the Bench players scoring, I'm a little confused about the notion...

do they count for full points half points or whats the situation...

I'd be tempted to keep it the same, I just want to know the penalty in point terms of having a rookie Bench...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    Thats a tough call, I like the idea of being able to stash some players like on the injured list but also like the flexi of every day changes

can somone just give me a brief rundown of the Bench players scoring, I'm a little confused about the notion...

do they count for full points half points or whats the situation...

I'd be tempted to keep it the same, I just want to know the penalty in point terms of having a rookie Bench...
    If the position you pick for a player is "bench" you get zero points for him. Unless there's a tie.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't forget to vote in the Anthony Parker position change. There have been 9 votes here but only 5 in the other. Even if you say no, I would appreciate it.

Since the overwhelming response was to leave it as is, we'll leave it as is.

Be nice if the site would add yesterday's scores at some point.