Thread: How much of Last Nights Poor Performance Can Be Attributed To Inexperience?

Default How much of Last Nights Poor Performance Can Be Attributed To Inexperience?

I mean inexperience as a team.

How many new players do we have this year? Was it 8? This was only Quis' 3rd game with the team, including preseason, right? So don't you think that played a big part in last nights game? It's not like it was a blowout loss vs a terrible team. The Hornets are a strong playoff contender who had two great offseason pickups in Chandler and Peja, and we had the lead late in the game.

A lot of guys had atrocious games. We were terrible on the glass and we shot poorly. This game seemed more of a fluke poor performance by a team still growing together than anything. Of course I'm always a glass half full type of person, so maybe I'm delusional.

Default Re: How much of Last Nights Poor Performance Can Be Attributed To Inexperience?

I have to admit as I watched the game I thought the two biggest reasons (and they were not the only reasons) we lost were that one they had guys hitting shots who normally don't hit shots, and then at the same time as that was happening, we'd play really solid defense only to have shots keep falling anyway.

The second was our clunkiness on offense, and some of that seemed to definitely be unfamiliarity among the players.

Default Re: How much of Last Nights Poor Performance Can Be Attributed To Inexperience?

I just find it amazing, after weeks of so many members talking about how they expect the team to start off slow due to being unfamiliar with each other, that so many people have gotten so down after a single loss. Like I said, the Hornets are a good team and we played them tough and despite having sub-par games from probably 80% of the roster, we could've easily won the game if Rasual Butler hadn't exploded in the 4th quarter.

Banned

I say let's give them about twenty games and then an educated assement can be made.

The only thing that concerns me is that we are without that deadly outside shooter for the first time in a long time. After 18 years of Reggie we had Peja for the last half of the season and now we don't. I think rick is trying to see if sarunas can give the team some of that but he hasn't so far. Clearly the best and most reliable outside shooter we have is Jax and he can be either really hot or cold and unlike reggie or Peja takes dumb shots. DA is just not going to be allowed to play big minutes so it's not going to be him.

Why not just say screw Saras and give all of his minutes to D.A.?

Our loss last night was poor shooting, except 3rd qtr. Al has yet to get going. Jax had another poor shooting performance. Keep in mind we were playing a pretty good team. San Antonio lost to Cleveland on their home floor. So don't let this one game get you guys down.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why not just say screw Saras and give all of his minutes to D.A.?
    I think we should add all of the Harrington minutes to DA, too
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    I think we should add all of the Harrington minutes to DA, too
    The difference is, Big Al's proven he can be a very good NBA player, and will almost certainly return to that level again shortly. Saras, on the other hand, has only proven himself in a league dominated by guys like Anthony Parker and Charlie Bell.

'Quis has some nice possessions, but just like at Charlotte there were times he seemed a little hesitant. Like, "I could really take this ball in the lane and make a play, but maybe I shouldn't. Uh, here, you take it." Maybe he doesn't feel like he has the green light or confidence to create within the offense.

How many of Al's problems stem from playing center?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'd love to see Al come off the bench to bring a little energy. I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with Al but I'd rather see him come off the bench than Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    The difference is, Big Al's proven he can be a very good NBA player, and will almost certainly return to that level again shortly. Saras, on the other hand, has only proven himself in a league dominated by guys like Anthony Parker and Charlie Bell.
    You really want DA 36 all the season? (you are saying so). The "Screw Saras" thing doesn't solve anything. If "screw Saras" is the solution - soon it will happen.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Quote Originally Posted by DeS View Post
    You really want DA 36 all the season? (you are saying so). The "Screw Saras" thing doesn't solve anything. If "screw Saras" is the solution - soon it will happen.
    If Saras keeps playing the way he did last night and the way he did for most of last season, I dont ever wanna see him on the court. I'd rather they divide his 18 mpg up between Quis and Armstrong.

Surprisingly enough I wasn't that disheartened by the loss. Why? They really seemed like they were trying, even when things were pretty hopeless. Just seeing JO make his shots towards the end of the fourth was pretty encouraging.

We never get the game get away from us and we never collapsed. I thought it was a pretty strong showing for a completely retooled team's second regular-season game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I said in my assesment from the game thread, I came away from this loss with a positive feeling. We played horribly, but we were able to see our deficiencies and hopefully we will be able to learn from them.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Yeah I definately think we're still growing as a team and we're having some growing pains which is to be expected. I think these next couple of games are winnable lets see how we rebound now. It's much easier to make an assessment and corrections after a loss than it is a win I'm looking forward to the next game.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said in Peck's thread that I think some of the problem is losing shooting rhythm (which is important to rebounding rhythm as well) because of extra passes. It will take some time for everyone to get comfortable with one another to the point that they can "feel" when it is right to shoot rather than taking the extra pass.

Now, if our jump shot percentage stays in the toilet that won't help, but still...

In terms of "wait 20 games to judge", now is the time we are identifying the concerns we need to watch to see if they go away during that 20m games. No one is saying any of these flaws are permanent, just that they are things we expect to see worked with through the opening games of the season.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Of course, the team has not gotten use to the new players but that's not why we lost. It was mainly due to lack of effort on blocking out for the rebound.

Our shooting was lousy, especially from 3 pt. land, however, we could have overcome that with a more continuous effort. We were motivated in spots but we laid down in the last quarter.

Regardless of Al's poor shooting so far, I think that he should be launching more shorts than the ever-mediocre shooting Jax.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteone View Post
    I say let's give them about twenty games and then an educated assement can be made.
    I've seen "waiting until after 20 games have been played" mentioned a few
    times, before making an assesment. All things considered, with the retooling,
    trying to work the kinks out of our system, and all, is that really enough?

We split the first 2; great! Of the next 18 games, only 6 are home games,
    with 12 on the road. Of the road games, we have 6 in a row during a west
    coast swing - our longest road trip of the season.

If using the first 20 games as our marker point, I would have to say if they
    come out of this stretch winning 1/3 of the games (.333), they would be
    doing reasonable well. Anything more than this, I think, would be a very
    encouraging sign.

Now if they are hovering around .500 by all-star break, I would be quite
    happy, and feel they were ready for a strong stretch run. That stretch
    run goes through a tough March schedule that has mostly road games too.

Hopefully, we've seen an end to the negative incidents occuring for a while,
    and the fans will help keep strengthening our home-court advantage. We
    really really need it this season, now more than ever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Al was the center last night only in the sense that that is where he was announced as. He defended West and JO had Chandler, and it was the same matchups when we were on offense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    Of course, the team has not gotten use to the new players but that's not why we lost. It was mainly due to lack of effort on blocking out for the rebound.

Our shooting was lousy, especially from 3 pt. land, however, we could have overcome that with a more continuous effort. We were motivated in spots but we laid down in the last quarter.

Regardless of Al's poor shooting so far, I think that he should be launching more shorts than the ever-mediocre shooting Jax.

Al needs to take it to the hole and forget about that 3pt shot, Jax is a loss cause and needs to go.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have to admit as I watched the game I thought the two biggest reasons (and they were not the only reasons) we lost were that one they had guys hitting shots who normally don't hit shots, and then at the same time as that was happening, we'd play really solid defense only to have shots keep falling anyway.

The second was our clunkiness on offense, and some of that seemed to definitely be unfamiliarity among the players.
    Yeah, that was a big part of it. It was a game where I think some casual fans just say "see, Jack sucks" or whatever their issue is, but where an involved fan saw them get a lot of decent possessions only to not finish them off (man, does Tins miss a lot of good looks right at the rim or what) while NO/OKC actually made their 4th quarter run facing the best defense the Pacers showed all game.

In the "Rick changing the lineup" discussion I agreed with RC's view that something does look really wrong, but I also agreed with the comments that maybe they just need to have 10-15 games to play their way into a comfort zone.
    I just find it amazing, after weeks of so many members talking about how they expect the team to start off slow due to being unfamiliar with each other, that so many people have gotten so down after a single loss.
    I agree. My only worry has been that the frontline looks overmatched. JO had 2 games in a row where he looked dominated inside on offense. His shot has been there, but he's been stuffed several times trying to score from the low post.

And isn't it funny that a quality team like Cleveland went into Charlotte a few nights later and lost to them. Makes the Pacers situation look a lot better.

Also seeing Al get it going the next night makes it a lot easier to relax and let them find their way.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

PS - welcome Roferr. I would be posting more at Star but the activity is still pretty low over there right now. Plus I think the vibe over here is more positive overall which is nice.