Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd thoughts from the home opener...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd thoughts from the home opener...

To quote the great Lloyd Bridges from the movie Airplane "Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue".

Ok, I actually for once get to leave early from work & the entire family is ready to go on time. We even get into town early enough to stop by & eat at Mr. Gyros (yes I love that place dirt & all) so all was good.

Then I even got to the game early enough that I was there prior to tipoff & since it is the beginning of the 40th season of Pacers basketball (God that means next year I'll be 40 ) we had a few pre-game extra's.

The highlight of the opening (& sadly ultimately of the entire night) was the introduction of five Pacers players from the very first opening night of the Indiana Pacers. Freddie Lewis being there was a real highlight for me but I know that Neto was the most popular.

Anyway it is always a real thrill seeing some of the old Pacers in the house. On a side note I hope that this is not the only night they plan on doing something to honor the franchises history because while it was great to see some of the old players the video clip they showed from each decade was way to short & really didn't paint a story.

Another interesting side note from the opening was that for the first time since way way back in the M.S.A. days (prior to the death of professional wrestler Owen Heart) did one of our mascots repel from the ceiling of the fieldhouse. I saw bowser come down & Diamond Dave said he saw Boomer come down from the other side. I found that to be very interesting because at the time Donnie Walsh made it clear that our mascots wouldn't be coming down ever again.

Now to answer some quick hitting questions so everybody knows right up front.

1. Did Peja get boo'ed? Suprisingly yes. I guess I just didn't think most people cared about him one way or another but the fans gave him a pretty healthy boo.

2. Did Jackson get boo'ed? Suprisingly very little. There were a few boo birds in during the opening but they were pretty well drowned out by the cheers. Other than that he got a couple of minor boo's when he shot what a lot of people thought were poor shots but he got no more than other players for the same thing. In fact I would say Jamaal got as many boo's if not more than Jackson did during the intro.

3. Did Al get the biggest cheers? I would say no, J.O. still got the loudest cheers during the opening.

Ok, now let's move onto the game.

I knew we were in for a long long long night when I looked out & saw Joey Crawford & Violet Palmer. Not because I felt they were going to screw us over per say but because both of them practice the "look at me" form of reffing so they would be inserting themselves into the game. Sure enough the first half was nothing but possesion after possesion of whislte blowing with I'd say about 90% of all calls called by either Palmer or Crawford. I don't think the other ref (who's name escapes me but IMO that's what made him a good ref.) called many fouls at all during the night.

As we all knew would happen the offense was ugly early & often. We either were throwing up junk three pointers or someone was attempting a fadeaway. There was no flow or rhytm at all. Some of that was due to light pressure applied by the Hornets but most of it was just due to our team being discombobulated.

Al Harrington was just forcing the issue early on & it was hurting his game. He tried to rebound & he did try & put a body on people but he was just out of sorts since the tipoff. Sadly he was our leading rebounder which does not say much because he had a whole whopping 7 rebounds.

In fact the one thing I hated the most about last night was the rebounding. In fact it was pretty disgusting. The offensive sets were were using had our front court away from the basket a lot & several of them still have the old habit of once the ball goes up they start running the other way and on the defensive end, well let's just say we managed to make Tyson Chandler look like Moses Malone on the boards.

So far I can't say that I'm thrilled with the Danny Al-Jermaine front court & again I can't help but think a lot of this is Jermaines fault. Now before all of Jermains fans come running at me please hear me out.

Jermaine is 6'11" tall. He is very well built & from what I've seen over the years isn't the weakest player in the world. But the man just will not play a physical game to save his life. So we have 6'9" (& I think that is being generous) Al Harrington who just three to four seasons ago was playing small forward down in the low post sumo wrestling players that are going to be 6'10" or better.

Sadly we have yet to play a real true big man or front line, I can't wait to see how badly Eddy Curry shreds us up tommorow.

Danny Granger is quickly becoming like Derrik McKey & I don't mean that as a compliment. Don't let that final 10 points he put on the board fool you. He had 4 points going into the last half of the fourth quarter but he hit two three pointers down the way to bring himself to double digits.

Now I understand that this is going to be a problem for him because Jermaine & Al are going to need their touches so there is going to be a problem of not enough shots to go around. However he has to be more aggresive on the court on the offensive end. Last season we saw times where he was to passive on the floor & in both games I've seen this season he has also only taken what has been blatantly open to him. He did have one nice drive to the basket tonight but we need that on a much more consistant basis from him if we are going to do anything this season.

While I'm at it let me make it a point right now to say this. We shoot to many d@mn three point shots. Now if we were hitting at 50%. from beyond the arc that would be one thing but 27% & to continue to chuck is just to many for my taste.

In this game Jackson, Granger, Saras & Armstrong all took more shots from beyond the arc than they did from inside the line, which I find repulsive.

Now not all was horrid btw. There were some good spots on the floor.

Darrell Armstrong was litterally a spark plug & rallied the crews to bring us back to take a slight lead for a short time. He really is an on the ball defender who can put pressure on the other teams point guards, which is something we haven't had here for a long long time.

Marquis Daniels also came to life in the second half as well applying both solid defense & smart offense as well as getting in on some rebounds.

So the Dallas connection played very well for us for a short time frame.

Other than way to many three point shots I thought Jackson was ok. Not a great game but didn't stink the place up either, other than his shot selection. But he did leave the refs alone & I only saw him & Carlisle conversing once but it looked cordial to me so I don't think there was a problem there.

Harrison was in for 3 min. & just did not accomplish much but then again didn't have time to do much either. When we start facing some real centers I wonder how his min. will be?

Foster was just Foster which is to say he didn't hurt the team but I'm just not sure helped the team either. The front court of O'Neal & Foster offends me to my very core so I know that once we do switch back over to Jeff Al-Jermaine I will be in for a very long season. BTW, I wouldn't be suprised if we don't see a change in the lineup as early as tonight.

Now I'm going to offend everybody with my next statement & I hope you won't hold it against me & trust me I know that it will never happen but here is what I'd like to see.

Instead of benching Danny, which we all know is going to happen, I would like to see them bench O'Neal.

No, seriously I'd much rather have Danny Al & Jeff than I would O'neal & Foster ever on the floor together.

I think that part of the proble with the front five is that they all are trying to defer to Jermaine to much & he is getting to many touches. The second unit has a hard time scoring so I think J.O. would be better with the backups.

Oh, trust me I know it will never happen but if you ever really & truely want to break out of this half court funk we get into then letting Danny & Al be the focus in the front court during the opening is your best bet.

Besides I'd be willing to tell O'Neal that he wasn't getting off of the bench until he learned to box out on the boards, but that's just the hatred in me talking so please ignore that.

Saras was great, beyond great in North Carolina. Sadly he left all of that at the airport apperantly. But hey, what the heck he was no worse than anybody else really.

Marshall just wasn't out there enough to make an impression on me one way or the other.

Now here is my dissapointment for Carlisle for the night. I thought Baston would be perfect to play against the Hornets. His leaping ability I thought would prove usefull but for whatever reason he could not get off of the bench.

Speaking of bench, I really wish they would not have put Powell on the inactive list. My God our team lacks a true big man so bad right now I wanted to ask Darnell Hillman to suit up & play for us right now.

Needless to say the Pacers did themselves a real favor in offering $4.00 tickets as the place was mostly packed. However their lackluster play did not win them any new fans out of those seats.

We have to give this team about 20 games to truely know where they stand & it would be nice to see them play vs. a top tier team.

But just from the first two games I've seen I can only quote the great Roaming Gnome as we left the building. "it's going to be a long season".

I think patience is called for & not to read to much into these early season games.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd thoughts from the home opener...

Originally posted by Peck View Post

Danny Granger is quickly becoming like Derrik McKey & I don't mean that as a compliment. Don't let that final 10 points he put on the board full you. He had 4 points going into the last half of the fourth quarter but he hit two three pointers down the way to bring himself to double digits.
    Thanks Peck! I look forward as does the rest of the forum to your posts!

When I read last month that Carlisle wanted Grange to concentrate on defense I thought it a bad deal. I thought at the end of last year he might develop into our go to guy, but not this way. I think having Danny concentrate on defense will hurt his development.

Comment

Great post as usual, Peck. I hven; tseen any of our two first games yet, but I will very soon. I will take some extra notice to the stuff you noted here and Jim R has in another thread.

But, like you noted at the end of your post ... we have to be patient for atleast the first twenty games to see how this team developes and how Carlisle uses its "components". I say atleast twenty games, because our schedule is quite hard and we might not get a truly fair view of what our team can do so soon after that period.

Regards,

Mourning
      2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

I just wish we'd stop playing Saras, and instead split his minutes up between Armstrong and Quis to give them more time.

Comment

What if Josh Powell started alongside JO and Al? Couldn't that work?

Comment

Peck, interesting thought on Baston. That same thing ran through my mind as well. Not only was Chandler pushing our guys under the rim. Often it was his superior quickness and movement that earned him rebounds. And obviously the guy has ups. JO and Al's move their feet as if they were mired in cement.

I'm not sure Baston fares any better, but with his supeior athletic attributes I would have like to see him try. Certainly he would have given up some size. However, it appears RC my be designating him as beyond a whiff of the rotation at this point .

P.S.-Was it part of our game plan to just let David West get uncontested shot after uncontested shot? Even if we thought we'd force him to hit some first, didn't anybody get the memo that the guy was on?
            I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

I doubt it. I think a lot of Pacer fans are overrating both Powell and Marshall because they had good preseasons. If he can perform at the same level in the regular season, then he's capable of being a Udonis Haslem-level player at some point, but I don't think were near the point of starting him. Hell, he hasn't even played yet, has he?

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                Then I even got to the game early enough that I was there prior to tipoff & since it is the beginning of the 40th season of Pacers basketball (God that means next year I'll be 40 ) we had a few pre-game extra's.

I knew we were in for a long long long night when I looked out & saw Joey Crawford & Violet Palmer. Not because I felt they were going to screw us over per say but because both of them practice the "look at me" form of reffing so they would be inserting themselves into the game. Sure enough the first half was nothing but possesion after possesion of whislte blowing with I'd say about 90% of all calls called by either Palmer or Crawford. I don't think the other ref (who's name escapes me but IMO that's what made him a good ref.) called many fouls at all during the night.

Al Harrington was just forcing the issue early on & it was hurting his game. He tried to rebound & he did try & put a body on people but he was just out of sorts since the tipoff. Sadly he was our leading rebounder which does not say much because he had a whole whopping 7 rebounds.

Danny Granger is quickly becoming like Derrik McKey & I don't mean that as a compliment. Don't let that final 10 points he put on the board fool you. He had 4 points going into the last half of the fourth quarter but he hit two three pointers down the way to bring himself to double digits.

Marquis Daniels also came to life in the second half as well applying both solid defense & smart offense as well as getting in on some rebounds.

BTW, I wouldn't be suprised if we don't see a change in the lineup as early as tonight.

Now I'm going to offend everybody with my next statement & I hope you won't hold it against me & trust me I know that it will never happen but here is what I'd like to see, Instead of benching Danny, which we all know is going to happen, I would like to see them bench O'Neal.

Firstly, I am that same age and thought that exact same thing.

Also, I said the same thing as soon as I saw Crawford. I sat there and told my wife, watch Crawford, he will make several odd calls to draw attetion to himself and Violet will call at least 5 charges, she loves calling the offensive foul. At one point a Hornet brought both arms down across a Pacer to almost intentionally foul to prevent the shot and she called a charge, awesome!!

Watched Al in pregame warm ups and if he makes a move to his right and goes into that fade away, I bet he only hits 2 of 10 being wide open. He'll be fine, but it surprises me how mentally, he still can't shake of a bad play or missed shot very well.

Granger is McKey with that first unit, I thought this would be the case not because starting, but because Carlise has decided DG is the stopper on the team, so now you have him pigeon holed into this role. Why can't he be a basketball player, he has so much to offer and it will come off the bench, and I would also bet tonight starts that.

Daniels is starting to get to what I thought he might bring. To me, you can tell he's still shaking of rust, or lack of confidence from a new situation. I think the player we've seen the first two games is a shadow of what we'll see in a month from now. He's a very quiet stat stuffer, which is nice to have.

Lastly, the whole benching JO thing, I had a similar thought and it is just as unlikely to happen, but I thought it's in the teams best interest to bring Al off the bench. There he doesn't have to fit in, he is the man, gets his touches, can be the best player on the floor. It will never happen and I've thought I was crazy for even thinking it, but with Pecks comments I thought I'd throw that out there.

Lastly, whats scary is it seems that however the point guards go is how this team goes and I have to say that's not a good thing, imo. At BEST Saras will be inconsistent, Tinsley good to very good, and DA can not be counted on to be what he's done the first two games, he just can't. Keep in mind I'm saying at their collective best that what they can be is inconsistently good.

I watch with great anticipation tonight to see them try to dictate pace and guard the likes of Marbury and Nate Robinson.

One other thing, about Powell, I think you'll see him and Greene (looked like he only had a light wrap on the hand in shoot around) be solid rotation players in the very near future, both bring exactly what is being missed. Both are Bulldogs.

Comment

From the balcony you can't see a whole lot, but the Mrs. and I both agree on this from the nose bleed. Go to any high school in Indiana and you'll find better jump shooters than we have 1 thru 15 on this team.
                  You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

What does it say about the franchise player when the idea of BENCHING HIM comes up to IMPROVE the opening offense, and it's not responded to with only lots of laughter and "that should never happen!"?

I don't think this is O'Neal's fault, but I do think he doesn't fit in that well anymore. The more I think about finding the best 2-guard (or hell even a 1) we can find for him, the more I like it.

Comment

I don't know what you all are talking about really. I think O'Neal's offense and defense have looked as good as ever the first two games. I think the faster tempo really allows him to show off his great quickness. The only thing I'm worried about is his rebounding. A total of 10 in two games is just plain pathetic.

Comment

I go on the side of you can't bench JO and "that should never happen". I know Peck meant this theoretically not in application. I just think it's just a transition right now. The first team deferring to JO is a problem, but here's the deal and my issue with JO, is if he is the man and will get doubled he and they should be able to make teams pay, it's always simple math. 2 on you then someone is open, drives me crazy.

Last night Byron Scott, had the game plan to double ANY low post guy with Tinsleys man, Mel wouldn't take the open shot. That's not JO's fault. I agree he needs to hit the boards better and yes box out. I don't buy that crap that some guys rebound better not boxing out, if your in front of the guy rebounding, you're the closest to the basket and the other player has to go through you to get there, not brain surgery.

I am not a JO apologist, but it all reminds of Garnett in Minnesota, its still a team game, its not singles tennis or wrestling. I don't care how good a non perimeter player you can only control what happens in a game so much.

Players like MJ, Wade, Lebron can so much more directly control a game because they can directly create, imo. Now JO could help this team more by getting 12 boards and 5 assists instead of um 6 and 0 ?!?!?

I'd think you'll see Foster start tonight (even though thats not a good fit for me for different reasons) and then Powell get activated (which I think is a perfect fit) and Greene get well and roles and pieces start to fit, probably around Christmas, at least I hope so.

Comment

I'm firmly convinced Granger will be a McKey-type player and have been ever since you got Al which IMO was a huge mistake this offseason.

We know (or are pretty sure) that Granger won't look too hard for his shots and is willing to defer to the rest of the team. We also know that Al, JO & Jax DO look for their shots and won't defer to teammates.

Danny Granger just became the 4th option on the Pacers and he'll do what 4th options do - rarely look for his shot and only take one where he's wide open or the shot clock is running down.

IMO Granger has the potential to be a better offensive player than either Jackson or Harrington and one of the goals of the coaching staff had to be that by the end of this season he was your number one perimeter option.

With the Harrington - fan-pacification trade, Walsh & co turned Danny Granger from a possible all-star within 2 years to a role player.

Of course the other option is to trade Jackson which will give Danny more touches. Since I believe Granger has the potential to be a better player down the road I think that's a good move but management seems to feel differently.
                          The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
                            I'm firmly convinced Granger will be a McKey-type player and have been ever since you got Al which IMO was a huge mistake this offseason.

We know (or are pretty sure) that Granger won't look too hard for his shots and is willing to defer to the rest of the team. We also know that Al, JO & Jax DO look for their shots and won't defer to teammates.

Danny Granger just became the 4th option on the Pacers and he'll do what 4th options do - rarely look for his shot and only take one where he's wide open or the shot clock is running down.

IMO Granger has the potential to be a better offensive player than either Jackson or Harrington and one of the goals of the coaching staff had to be that by the end of this season he was your number one perimeter option.

With the Harrington - fan-pacification trade, Walsh & co turned Danny Granger from a possible all-star within 2 years to a role player.

Of course the other option is to trade Jackson which will give Danny more touches. Since I believe Granger has the potential to be a better player down the road I think that's a good move but management seems to feel differently.
                            I see what you're saying. Just as a side note, DG has gotten good shots the first two games, its just that he's been on the back of the rim almost everytime. If those open looks were falling he's have decent scoring numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

Granger has a long way to prove himself as a top-3 scoring option. Why rush him into it? If he suceeds in his current role and the team feels his offensive game can be taken to the next level, I'm sure they'll make it happen. Right now we need Danny to be focusing on defense, rebounding, and doing some of the dirty work.

Comment

Working...
                              X