Thread: Mutual basketball education thread

Default Mutual basketball education thread

I thought that it would be nice if there was a thread where people from Europe ( or just outside US) can ask questions about NBA&Pacers and vice versa.

So here is my question:
    Why the east in NBA is considered more physical then the west, while players and coaches move constantly from/to both sides?
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Default Re: Mutual basketball education thread

Quote Originally Posted by Israfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought that it would be nice if there was a thread where people from Europe ( or just outside US) can ask questions about NBA&Pacers and vice versa.

So here is my question:
    Why the east in NBA is considered more physical then the west, while players and coaches move constantly from/to both sides?
    That was because of the style of basketball played by the majority of teams in their respective conferences. The east had a lot of teams that played primarily half court basketball, whereas the west had some teams that preferred to run. Thats changing fast though as most teams try to run.

I'll get this started, but I bet some other people could give a better answer than me.

This might be a question more of perception than reality. I suspect what you're getting at is the tendency of more teams in the West to run and the tendency of more teams in the East to play tougher defense, a slower set game mostly in the halfcourt, leading to slightly lower scores.

But, if someone asks this question and thinks of Detroit vs Phoenix, there is the perception from a style standpoint that the East is more physical. I think that perception carries over to most of the other teams in both conferences. In reality the differences are probably not that statistically noticeable. EDIT: conference-wide
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Was it always like this?
    This is strange, because as far as I know/heard, people from East historically evolved as more physical/stronger species due to tough conditions there (200 years ago).
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

NaptownBound

Was it always like this?
    This is strange, because as far as I know/heard, people from East historically evolved as more physical/stronger species due to tough conditions there (200 years ago).
    I don't believe it's always been that way, but it has been that way for a while. Back in the 80s, there were uptempo teams... Lakers and Celtics come to mind. The thing was those teams also were great in the half court... which is the difference with the teams back then and today. A lot of running teams today aren't necessarily great half court teams (Denver comes to mind immediately)

I believe the East started to get more of a half-court physical identity when Detroit's Bad Boys started their reign. Isiah could always push the pace offensively, but defensively they punished teams. From there, Chicago got a tougher mindset, then New York and finally our Pacers. The elite teams in the East were more half-court oriented. While the teams out west in the early 90s (Suns, Spurs, Lakers, Blazers, Rockets) were more akin to run... but they ran at opportune times and were able to execute in the half court. However, they didn't play defense as physically as teams in the East did.

So to answer your question... I believe the East got more physical because Detroit, then Chicago won championships from 89-93 playing physically. If you're a team in the East, you had to see Detroit and Chicago 3-4 times a year, so to compete with those elite teams, you had to be able to play that style. The same can be said for the West. The Lakers set the precedent, then the Blazers followed suit, with the Suns/Rockets/Spurs right behind them. Thus, the difference in the conferences.

Was it always like this?
    (grin) In your first post you pointed out that the players and coach's constantly move from conference to conference.

Israfan, great idea and thank you for doing this.

In Indiana basketball is introduced to youngsters at a very early age and one of the reasons it is followed more closely than other parts of the US.

What is the most popular sport in Israel and what sport is taught to the kids first?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Israfan, great idea and thank you for doing this.

In Indiana basketball is introduced to youngsters at a very early age and one of the reasons it is followed more closely than other parts of the US.

What is the most popular sport in Israel and what sport is taught to the kids first?
    Thanks for everybody for anwsers on East Vs West question.

Sports in Israel.... it is complicated.
    First of all we have soccer. It is probably most popular sport in Israel. However, since Europeans are so good at it we hardly can go to "playoffs" in any kind of Euro competition.

The soccer is closely followed by basketball. It is considered that most Euroball fans are Israelis and Lithuanians. On the contrary to soccer both national team and clubs are on high level in European basketball. Maccabi Tel-Aviv now serves as D-league team for Pacers

Soccer and basketball are two games kids are taught in the school. In addition, since most of the population leaves near the Middeteranian sea, water sports such as windsurfing are very popular and we excell here on the international level.
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan