Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_061102.html

    Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?


    Thursday, Nov. 2, 2006
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

    Q. The Pacers are one of the best teams in the East, but who in the East is going to give them the most trouble? Obviously, the defending champs (Heat) and the Pistons always give us trouble, but what other teams are going to give us in trouble? Are there going to be any surprise teams? (From Tom in Anderson, Ind.)

    A. There appears to be more overall competitive depth in the East this season, which basically means reaching the playoffs will be more difficult. Counterbalancing that is the lack of a dominant team capable of intimidating all opposition during the postseason. This promises to be a very, very interesting season in the East because the balancing of power is beginning to shift.

    Though Miami is the defending champion and has the formidable triumvirate of Dwyane Wade, Shaquille O'Neal and Pat Riley, there's a real threat of complacency. Not only did the team remain intact but it leans on aging veterans (Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning) who may not play with the same team-focused drive now that they've won their long-sought rings. I suspect this is a team headed for a fall, although on talent alone Miami should finish in the top four.

    Detroit, which had been dominant until last season, lost quite a bit of its character when Ben Wallace signed with Chicago. Much can be made of how Nazr Mohammed is bigger and taller and capable of replacing Wallace's statistics but it's just not possible to replace his overall presence. Big Ben was the heart and soul of that team. The Pistons also have ridden their starters hard for several years with little support from the bench and that could catch up with them.

    The door is open, then, for someone to rise to the top. Most of the projected contenders are talented but flawed. Cleveland has a great player and depth of talent but has a mismatched lineup of thoroughbreds (James, Larry Hughes) and plowhorses (Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Eric Snow). New Jersey has a superb starting five but the Nets' depth remains very much in question. Washington can score but not much else.

    So who, then? Adding Wallace could make Chicago the team to beat. The Bulls have a strong core of talented young players that have been seasoned together, now complemented with strong veterans (including P.J. Brown) who fill important roles. The Bulls will have to deal with something new: the pressure brought by expectations. If they can handle that, they could become the East's elite.

    Several other teams have been largely overlooked but I believe will factor into the playoff race, particularly Milwaukee and Orlando. Most experts are discounting Boston and Toronto but both could contend deep into the season. In fact, the only teams without much in the way of postseason hopes are the Knicks, Hawks and Bobcats and all three will be much tougher outs than they were a year ago.
    ---------------

    I disagree with two points. I don't think Chicago will stand out like everyone is proclaiming. Who's going to score in the post for them? I think they will have to trade for a post player to be a threat.

    And I said long ago when Isiah was kicked down to coach that he would have the Knicks in the playoffs.

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    I think the east is more wide open than it ever has been

  3. #3
    Murf421
    Guest

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Yeah there really are alot of good teams in the East. It really will be tougher to make the playoffs this season,

  4. #4
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Did this guy not see the Wizard game last night?

    Washington's defense looked good. Tipped balls, blocks, steals, disrupting the passing lane. Obviuosly he only perused the box score.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  5. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did this guy not see the Wizard game last night?

    Washington's defense looked good. Tipped balls, blocks, steals, disrupting the passing lane. Obviuosly he only perused the box score.
    I'm guessing he watched the Pacers game. Weird thing for a Pacers writer.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did this guy not see the Wizard game last night?

    Washington's defense looked good. Tipped balls, blocks, steals, disrupting the passing lane. Obviuosly he only perused the box score.

    Yeah...I watched em lose last night.

  7. #7
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Anybody who thinks Boston or Toronto is going anywhere is on some ****.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody who thinks Boston or Toronto is going anywhere is on some ****.

    Not on anything and I think Toronto is going somewhere....
    Here, everyone have a : on me

  9. #9
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm guessing he watched the Pacers game. Weird thing for a Pacers writer.
    well he should shut his mouth cuz we looked good in the first game.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  10. #10
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Brunner} Who Will Be Top Teams In East This Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well he should shut his mouth cuz we looked good in the first game.
    You're right. He should never have answered that question. Must be pretty awesome to have your team look 'good' and still lose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •