Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Kerry belittles US troops

Default Re: John Kerry belittles US troops

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

P.S. on a side note what do you believe Karl Roves first response was when he heard this?

was it

A. laughter
    B. Glee
    C. Joy
    D. all of the above
    I just hope he didn't wet himself with excitement.

I actually think his first response was to contact every writer, ad person, campaign manager, etc., and then order about 10,000 copies of this made and distributed.

Then he called Bush and said, "Hey George, remember when we were talking about the congressional elections the other day? Remember how you said we needed some sort of miracle to keep our majority? Well, you asked for a miracle - I give to you John Forbes Kerry."

And I still only think it's about 50-50 who wins. First, when was the last time a poll was run that didn't overstate Democratic support by 3-4 percentage points?

And second, John Kerry just reminded every hard-core conservative that while he or she may be disgusted by Mark Foley, they're even more disgusted by John Kerry. All that visceral distaste from the '04 Presidential re-election just resurfaced. The percent of Republicans voting in this election just rose by 10%.

And we wonder how Kerry could manage to lose an election against a President having a terrible time with a war and with a struggling economy. What a screw-up.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    i am not a kerry supporter. when i first heard that, i thought he was talking about bush. i don't believe he was talking about troops or future troops, nobody is that stupid.
    Please explain to me how he could have possibly been talking about Bush.

If he was talking about Bush, then Kerry has some type of serious brain problems. Because the words that came out of his mouth had nothing to do with Bush. Are we supposed to read minds now. Or maybe he was talking about the Pacers, or the Colts, yeh that's it.

No he was talking about those people that go into the military and those people who are over in Iraq. Bush wasn't mentioned.

I find this more unfathomable then his first comments. He must think we are stupid.

A note about the election: while I seriously doubt any democrats will change their vote and decide to vote for republican, what this does do is motivate the republicans base to vote.

My best friend is in the Army. He got his bachelors in Electrical Engineering. After he finished college he joined the Army and has served a 1 year tour in Iraq.

What John Kerry said offended my friend, his family, my family, and me. NOT ONLY what he said was inappropriate, but it was also wrong. My friend IS smart, my friend IS educated, AND HE SERVED PROUDLY FOR HIS COUNTRY. There is nothing wrong with joinining the armed forces.

John Kerry should apologize.

I think John Kerry should apologize too: For thinking there are any Democrats who want his foot-in-the-mouth boring arse running for President again. If nothing else, I hope that this flap ends the small amount of support he had.

On the other hand, anyone who is claiming John Kerry is against our military and that he thinks the military ranks are filled only with men and women, incapable of doing anything else, is getting too caught up in this nasty political season. You may wish it to be so, but that doesn't make it so.

I heard Rush Limbaugh proclaiming yesterday that not only John Kerry, but all Democrats hate the military. At first I was angry, then I realized that this is the cry of a man desperately trying to appeal to his base to get out and vote. UB in his post above says as much. If this is what it takes to get a Republican to stay the course in this election and get out and vote, God help the Republican party.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    I heard Rush Limbaugh proclaiming yesterday that not only John Kerry, but all Democrats hate the military. At first I was angry, then I realized that this is the cry of a man desperately trying to appeal to his base to get out and vote. UB in his post above says as much. If this is what it takes to get a Republican to stay the course in this election and get out and vote, God help the Republican party.
    It is good to hear that you were listening to Rush.

I truly believe that a decent % of democrats hate the military - it might be 25% I don't know, but there are some who hate it. That doesn't mean they hate the people in the military (but they cannot understand why anyone would want to join the military and they believe the only reason why they would is because of economic conditions.....) , they just hate what the military stands for and the way they go about what they do, the way it is set up - yes they hate the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It is good to hear that you were listening to Rush.
    I am slowly learning to appreciate the wisdom of listening to the other sides of the issues. I check in fairly often for brief listens to hear the latest spin.

I truly believe that a decent % of democrats hate the military - it might be 25% I don't know, but there are some who hate it.
    I doubt the percentage is over 1 percent. I know of no one who doesn't think we need a military.

On the other hand, do I think the military is bureaucratic, wasteful, and mindless at times. Yep. Those at the top have far different goals than those at the bottom who are left to do the real work.

A summary of what the pundits and spiners had to say last night.

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.c...ter_d_112.html

CNN's Cooper: "Election 2006, it is beginning to look a lot like election 2004 -- Bush vs. Kerry all over again" ("AC 360," 10/31).

Washington Post's Milbank: "It's sort of this made-for-Fox News Halloween thriller. It only runs in even years, but Karl Rove casts some spell. John Kerry turns into the Grim Reaper, and the Democrats all look as if they've seen a ghost" ("Countdown," MSNBC, 10/31).

FNC's Kondracke: "I think that he was criticizing the troops, but I don't think that he meant to do it" ("Special Report," 10/31).

FNC's O'Reilly: "I don't believe John Kerry meant to demean any American military member. I just don't. I think that fair-minded people know that that would be political suicide for the senator. He wouldn't do it" ("O'Reilly Factor," 10/31).

National Journal's Cook: "I don't know what Kerry meant. ... Frankly I don't think that there is anything that John Kerry could say or do that could positively or negatively significantly affect this election, because frankly I don't think he's terribly relevant to this election" ("Tucker," MSNBC, 10/31).

CNN's Quijano: "Clearly Senator Kerry's comments a political gift for Republicans" ("Lou Dobbs Tonight," 10/31).

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ): "John Kerry should apologize to the brave young men and women who are serving this nation in Iraq. Thousands of them risking their lives, putting them on the line, not because of any other reason but patriotism and certainly not because of any academic deficiencies. Some have high school diplomas. Some have graduate degrees, but they're all serving. I'm grateful for them. And to somehow suggest that only those who are lacking academic credentials are the ones who are serving is an insult to every one of those young people and brave, young and old, who are serving in what I believe is a noble cause. So, that's my view, and I hope that Senator Kerry will apologize quickly so that we can get this issue behind us" ("Hannity & Colmes," FNC, 10/31).

Pat Buchanan: "Kerry has probably been more permanently damaged than he was in 2004. I don't know how it's going to impact this election, but I will say this. It's going to be the big news tomorrow and it's going to be on a lot of these shows this weekend. And that is not good news for Democrats, and a lot of them are going to be asking to disassociate themselves from Kerry" ("Scarborough Country," MSNBC, 10/31).

Dem strategist James Carville: "It is much easier to say, I botched a joke, than to say, I botched a war. And he was very frank. ... He gave an explanation. And, as I say, Senator Kerry is one of the great war heroes to ever serve in the Congress. He has about a 100 percent record when it comes to the veterans. So, I don't understand exactly what the problem is. He didn't owe anybody an apology. He owed an explanation" ("Situation Room," CNN, 10/31).

FNC's Barnes: "If it was a botched joke, what did he mean to say?" ("Special Report," 10/31).

Rep. Ben Cardin (D-MD): "John Kerry has clarified what he said. And I think it was the wrong choice of words. I'm sorry he did what he did. But I think the issue, that we want to make sure it doesn't confuse the subject of the war in Iraq. The war in Iraq, we need a new plan. I voted against the war in Iraq four years ago. But we need a plan to get our troops home" ("Situation Room," CNN, 10/31).

Dick Armey: "I would say to John Kerry, look, you live by the P.C., you die by the P.C. I mean, the P.C. was a Democrat creation, so share and share alike" ("Hardball," MSNBC, 10/31).

Tom DeLay: "I don't think he intended to insult the troops at a campaign event, but he did. I don't think he intended to call them stupid, but he did." More, on Kerry's apology: "I saw it on the news conference, and it was very clear to me. He blamed everybody else but himself" ("Hannity & Colmes," FNC, 10/31).

I keep reading news reports thinking I'll be wrong on this. IMO, if Kerry just issues a public statement apologizing today the story will blow over by Friday or Saturday and will have much less of an impact on the election.

If he waits until tomorrow or Friday (and I firmly believe he'll apologize eventually because Rove and Co are THE masters at fanning brushfires) this will be the lead story on Meet the Press, Face the Nation and all the other weekend news shows and will be the lead election story right to Tuesday unless some other big surprise awaits us.

And Republicans will flock back to the polls. It'll bring back most of the "I'm so disgusted by the Foley scandal" people and a lot of the folks, such as myself, who fit in with the "I'm so disgusted by this party as a whole" people.

Because a lot of people are disgusted by John Kerry and have been for years.

I suppose this is an apology

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

Kerry makes direct apology to troops
    Wed Nov 1, 2006 4:28 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic Sen. John Kerry apologized directly to U.S. troops on Wednesday for comments about Iraq that had prompted a firestorm of criticism from Republicans and President George W. Bush.

"I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform and I personally apologize to any service member, family member or American who was offended," Kerry said in a statement.

Kerry said earlier in the day he was sorry for a "botched joke" about Bush that was interpreted as a slam on the U.S. military. Republicans demanded a more direct apology and seized on Kerry's comments to students as a sign of Democratic weakness on national security.

Kerry told students in California on Monday that if they study hard they could do well but if they did not, "you get stuck in Iraq." His office said he misread his remarks and intended to say "You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

That'll do it then - the Republicans can probably still use this tomorrow but if they go past that it'll look like beating a dead horse out of desperation. Still helps the Republicans but not nearly as much as it might have if he hadn't issued the apology.

I suppose this is an apology

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

Kerry makes direct apology to troops
    Wed Nov 1, 2006 4:28 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic Sen. John Kerry apologized directly to U.S. troops on Wednesday for comments about Iraq that had prompted a firestorm of criticism from Republicans and President George W. Bush.

"I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform and I personally apologize to any service member, family member or American who was offended," Kerry said in a statement.

Kerry said earlier in the day he was sorry for a "botched joke" about Bush that was interpreted as a slam on the U.S. military. Republicans demanded a more direct apology and seized on Kerry's comments to students as a sign of Democratic weakness on national security.

Kerry told students in California on Monday that if they study hard they could do well but if they did not, "you get stuck in Iraq." His office said he misread his remarks and intended to say "You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."
    do you believe it? (that it was a botched joke?)

Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post

do you believe it? (that it was a botched joke?)
    No, not at all.

You know what though, maybe it was, maybe the telepromter went down, but that is even worse, he was going off script and giving us some insight into what he truly believes.

So whether it was a botched joke or he just miss-spoke I believe that he believes what he said. He didn't think it would offend anyone though. I'm sure in his circles this is a very common thought that many believe in.

Mood

I'm going to make this comment before reading the two pages of responses: I'd heard from my conservative (very) Republican grandmother about him making some comments, but this is when I've finally heard what he said.

My immediate response was "Oo" as if he'd done something wrong, but within a couple of seconds I realized he was referring to Bush being uneducated.

Now, what needs to be admitted by his supporters (direct supporters or otherwise) is that it DID come out in a way that lets the message be taken differently than it was intended. But I believe that he was belittling Bush, not the troops.

I still don't understand what's wrong with what Kerry said.

Quote Originally Posted by abington View Post
    Yes Peck, it is great news for you republicans. Now you can continue to help the very rich, screw the poor, mock the diseased, and kill brave American troops for oil profit. These are great times indeed.

Well at least you didn't say brave uneducated American troops for oil.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm going to make this comment before reading the two pages of responses: I'd heard from my conservative (very) Republican grandmother about him making some comments, but this is when I've finally heard what he said.

My immediate response was "Oo" as if he'd done something wrong, but within a couple of seconds I realized he was referring to Bush being uneducated.

Now, what needs to be admitted by his supporters (direct supporters or otherwise) is that it DID come out in a way that lets the message be taken differently than it was intended. But I believe that he was belittling Bush, not the troops.
    exactly. i don't support him or care about his stance on any issue. but, it seemed obvious to me that he just worded a bad joke the wrong way.

But Bush isn't uneducated - not at all.

After obtaining an MBA from Harvard University (Bush is the only US President to serve holding a Master of Business Administration degree [11]),

Getting an MBA from Harvard is not uneducated. If that is the point Kerry was trying to make then he is delusional

Mood

It was an insult, not a factual statement. Although I did hear Bush had something like a C average. But that's not the point (I just felt like throwing it out there to see if it might be true or not; figured one of you would know), nor if true would it make him uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Well at least you didn't say brave uneducated American troops for oil.

Although I did hear Bush had something like a C average.
    Let the record show that Bush had better grades than John Kerry.

Link to a blog I sometimes read.

Dumb assumption number two: Republicans differ from Democrats because Republicans are immoral and Democrats are moral. Broadly speaking, the Ds, the party that brought you a mushroom cloud in a TV ad in 1964, generally wail the loudest about unfair attack ads (and Evil Genius Karl Rove, heir to the Lee Atwater legacy, who produces every single one of them). This is, of course, the opening line of their own attack ads.

Kerry is now complaining that Bush is attacking him about his joke, by which he now claims he was merely attacking Bush. Is Bush's attack that Kerry insulted the American military less fair than Kerry's attack that Bush is dumb?

Well, it is if Bush is just being mean but Kerry is being fair. And in the absence of supporting evidence, the nature of which one cannot even imagine, we can get to that conclusion only if we allow that by nature Bush is morally bad and Kerry morally good.

Once again, it doesn't work. Both parties are completely filled with bad people. Republicans alone didn't corrupt the electoral system with their evil attack ads, any more than Democrats alone did. Voters know this. They distrust politicians, not just Republicans or Democrats.

Let's not go parading Harvard around like it's MIT. Harvard is well-known for being more impressed by your connections and cash flow than they are about your SAT scores. And business isn't exactly rocket science. Finally, I have a feeling George Bush had as much trouble passing his tests as D.J. White has passing his at IU. Profs bend over backwards to make sure "known" people get decent grades.

I'd be interested to see what kind of grades Kerry got, I've not heard much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post

I'd be interested to see what kind of grades Kerry got, I've not heard much about it.

I have a feeling that if a test for "common sense" exists, Kerry should not take it.

Even if Kerry was talking about Bush in a 'botched joke' I have to wonder if a man in Kerry's position needs to be 'joking' about the president in such a way in a time of war... about the war!

The man is a fool IMO. (Paraphrased) It is better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Let's not go parading Harvard around like it's MIT. Harvard is well-known for being more impressed by your connections and cash flow than they are about your SAT scores. And business isn't exactly rocket science.

You are joking right?

You are joking right?
    Why would he need to joke about that?

Harvard isn't MIT - Harvard annually ranks as one of the top 3 Universities in the nation, along with Yale and Princeton.

MIT does not.

You know what though, maybe it was, maybe the telepromter went down, but that is even worse, he was going off script and giving us some insight into what he truly believes.
    That was certainly no formal speech. Looked to me like he was talking extemperaneously to a relatively small group of campaign workers.

That brief video we all have seen from YouTube is abruptly clipped and gives us no idea of what was said next or in the rest of the talk. But you can believe one thing: He never mentioned our soldiers once again in a negative way. Otherwise it would have been taped and shown repeatedly over and over again. Nor had he ever made a similar remark in his campaigns for the Senate or the Presidency. Again, likewise, we would have been treated to video of these comments.

Your continued protest that Kerry hates our military and meant to insult those in the military is frankly an undeserved personal attack on Kerry, as well as a goofy conclusion. Just cause you want it to be so, doesn't make it so.