Thread: Lost in all the negativity: Pacers start their NBA season on Wednesday!

Default Lost in all the negativity: Pacers start their NBA season on Wednesday!

So...the NBA season is starting Wednesday and I'm just as psyched this year as I was last year...It'll be fun to see what we can do as underdogs for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time. Regardless, I thought I'd start a thread for everyone who doesn't care about future 2nd round picks, unfortunate off-the-court circumstances, or pre-season struggles right now because THE SEASON IS STARTING.

These are the stories I'm looking forward to the most (in no particular order):

1.) The development of Granger.
    He's shown flashes and the work ethic to become great. The second year is big. He has to keep developing (even though guys in his position usually don't make the LEAP until their third year).

2.) Al's back!
    Can Al Harrington continue his strong play or was the pre-season just a fluke? Will he defer more to JO and Jack or are we seeing the emergence of future all-star in the forward-weak East?

3.) JO.
    How good is JO, really? Some say the true testament of his playing ability was two years' ago. Some say he's declined since that (even though, when healthy, his play has been improved across the board). Where will JO emerge on the player power rankings by the end of the season?

4.) The frontcourt...and the backcourt
    Does there exist a greater disparity between front-courts and back-courts in the NBA? Obviously, the front court is going to be there. But when they struggle, can the backcourt pull through for us?

5.) Health
    I'm looking at you Jamaal, Jermaine, and Marquis.

6.) Jamaal Tinsley
    For the first time since his rookie season, JT looks ready to ball. How long can he stay this way and how long before he steps out of the offense? Can he stay within the offense, proving once and for all that he really is a top 10 PG in this league?

7.) Jack
    Will Jack silence his critics or simply increase the number of calls for his head?

8.) Sarunas
    Can Sarunas play better than he did in the pre-season or this the end of Sarunas Jasikevicius era in Indiana?

9.) Leadership
    Where will the leadership come from? JO? Al? DA? JT? Sorry...I just love the two letter thing...Is this just overrated? Has the leadership always been there via JO? Will his leadership be enhanced by Al's arrival?

10.) Marquis Daniels
    The range of expectations for him runs the gamut. I feel, however, that his acquisition was lost in the Al Harrington/cuts histeria. The man averaged double figures under a coach who did not use him or play him correctly on the arguably best team in the league. While under Don Nelson, Marquis did extremely well when given minutes and used in a free-flowing offense.

11.) The coaching
    What will the coaching be doing this season? Was the firing of Kevin O'Neill significant? The hiring of Johnny Davis? Can Rick return to a freer offense like the one he designed for Larry Bird?

12.) David Harrison - overrated or full of potential?
    I feel as if by the end of this season we should know how good David Harrison really is and how much potential he has. If he doesn't progress a lot this season then is it safe to call him mediocre?

13.) 4th quarters
    The Pacers gave too much up in 4th quarters and in clutch situations last year. Who will step up and be there this year? Will anyone? Or will have another season as the "unluckiest" team in the NBA?

14.) Chemistry
    I like Chemistry. It's one of my favorite subjects. I hear many people don't like it, though. I just feel as if the people teaching them chemistry have made it harder than it needs to be. This is how I feel about the Pacers. Aren't they really making it harder than it needs to be? We're back to basics. We've got guys that are motivated, guys that work hard (even for their spot on the team!), guys that like each other, guys whose skillsets tend to mesh, some leaders...we have all the right ingredients we've liked in previous years. I feel like we're not making it harder than it needs to be and that this group can really have some nice chemistry. It'll be interesting to see if I'm right.

15.) The beginning of the season and how we respond
    A lot will be determined in the beginning of this season. We start out playing 13 of 19 on the road with a brutal 5 game West Coast road trip that features one "3 games in 4 nights" and one "back-to-back" stretch
    coming towards the end of November/beginning of December. Even if the Pacers start out with a record below .500, what will be significant is not the record, but how the Pacers respond. In the locker room and on the court. That's why I think we'll know by the end of December whether or not this team is for real or not.

I'm psyched. I hope the rest of you are too!

Default Re: Lost in all the negativity: Pacers start their NBA season on Wednesday!

Default Re: Lost in all the negativity: Pacers start their NBA season on Wednesday!

Im as excited, if not more excited, about this season then any ever.

Theres just so many unknowns, that Im gonna find every game interesting, even the games vs Toronto and Charlotte!

I think Im most excited about Quis Daniels, and seeing what he can bring. He's got breakout player written all over him, and Id love to him get 35 minutes a game at the 1, 2, and 3.

Ofcourse I cant wait to watch Granger blossom. He probably wont be anything above our 4th-5th scoring option this year, but his time will come for that, in the meantime just stuff the stat sheet at both ends of the court.

I cant wait to see Jamaal Tinsley stay healthy and play the type of basketball that fits his game and that is fun to watch. I hope he makes everyone forget the past 3 years.

I hope JO shuts everyone up. I hope he has career highs in rebounding, blocking, and FG%.

I hope Al finally gets big minutes on a winning team and people recognize him for the All-Star worthy talent he is. I hope his 3 point shot has improved even more in the offseason.

I hope David Harrison plays well in whatever minutes he receives.

I hope Shawne Williams shows glimpses of future brilliance as a 20 year old rookie.

I hope Saras redeems himself. I hope he can shoot for the entire season the way he shot the first 2 months of his rookie season. 47/41/90 would be fantastic and give us something we really lack.

I hope Foster continues to rebound like a mad man and tak eevery charge thrown his way.

I hope we surprise the entire league and win 50+ games.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like to think of myself more as a "fan" than a sunshiner or homer but I'll take it!

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Mood

Sports Logo

I forsee a real roller-coaster ride of a season coming up. Hopefully more ups
    than downs.

What I do not want to see is us barely squeak into the playoffs on the last
    day, then get run in the first round. Would rather not make it in if that's
    going to be the case. If we make the playoffs, go in strong, and on a
    mission.

If they can develop a good solid grasp of tempo and team rythme, they
    might end up being tougher than many expect.

Let the games begin!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    So...the NBA season is starting Wednesday and I'm just as psyched this year as I was last year...It'll be fun to see what we can do as underdogs for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time. Regardless, I thought I'd start a thread for everyone who doesn't care about future 2nd round picks, unfortunate off-the-court circumstances, or pre-season struggles right now because THE SEASON IS STARTING.

These are the stories I'm looking forward to the most (in no particular order):

1.) The development of Granger.
    He's shown flashes and the work ethic to become great. The second year is big. He has to keep developing (even though guys in his position usually don't make the LEAP until their third year).

2.) Al's back!
    Can Al Harrington continue his strong play or was the pre-season just a fluke? Will he defer more to JO and Jack or are we seeing the emergence of future all-star in the forward-weak East?

3.) JO.
    How good is JO, really? Some say the true testament of his playing ability was two years' ago. Some say he's declined since that (even though, when healthy, his play has been improved across the board). Where will JO emerge on the player power rankings by the end of the season?

4.) The frontcourt...and the backcourt
    Does there exist a greater disparity between front-courts and back-courts in the NBA? Obviously, the front court is going to be there. But when they struggle, can the backcourt pull through for us?

5.) Health

6.) Jamaal Tinsley
    For the first time since his rookie season, JT looks ready to ball. How long can he stay this way and how long before he steps out of the offense? Can he stay within the offense, proving once and for all that he really is a top 10 PG in this league?

7.) Jack
    Will Jack silence his critics or simply increase the number of calls for his head?

8.) Sarunas
    Can Sarunas play better than he did in the pre-season or this the end of Sarunas Jasikevicius era in Indiana?

9.) Leadership
    Where will the leadership come from? JO? Al? DA? JT? Sorry...I just love the two letter thing...Is this just overrated? Has the leadership always been there via JO? Will his leadership be enhanced by Al's arrival?

10.) Marquis Daniels
    The range of expectations for him runs the gamut. I feel, however, that his acquisition was lost in the Al Harrington/cuts histeria. The man averaged double figures under a coach who did not use him or play him correctly on the arguably best team in the league. While under Don Nelson, Marquis did extremely well when given minutes and used in a free-flowing offense.

11.) The coaching
    What will the coaching be doing this season? Was the firing of Kevin O'Neill significant? The hiring of Johnny Davis? Can Rick return to a freer offense like the one he designed for Larry Bird?

I feel as if by the end of this season we should know how good David Harrison really is and how much potential he has. If he doesn't progress a lot this season then is it safe to call him mediocre?

13.) 4th quarters
    The Pacers gave too much up in 4th quarters and in clutch situations last year. Who will step up and be there this year? Will anyone? Or will have another season as the "unluckiest" team in the NBA?

14.) Chemistry
    I like Chemistry. It's one of my favorite subjects. I hear many people don't like it, though. I just feel as if the people teaching them chemistry have made it harder than it needs to be. This is how I feel about the Pacers. Aren't they really making it harder than it needs to be? We're back to basics. We've got guys that are motivated, guys that work hard (even for their spot on the team!), guys that like each other, guys whose skillsets tend to mesh, some leaders...we have all the right ingredients we've liked in previous years. I feel like we're not making it harder than it needs to be and that this group can really have some nice chemistry. It'll be interesting to see if I'm right.

15.) The beginning of the season and how we respond
    A lot will be determined in the beginning of this season. We start out playing 13 of 19 on the road with a brutal 5 game West Coast road trip that features one "3 games in 4 nights" and one "back-to-back" stretch
    coming towards the end of November/beginning of December. Even if the Pacers start out with a record below .500, what will be significant is not the record, but how the Pacers respond. In the locker room and on the court. That's why I think we'll know by the end of December whether or not this team is for real or not.

I'm psyched. I hope the rest of you are too!

I definately am psyched as well. Ive been through ALL the bad and ALL the good since 1982 and still love the Pacers.

rexnom - you have made some excellent excellent points and questions on here. KUDOS We will have to save this thread and review it at seasons end. Kravitz has nothing on you rexnom

I would like to also add one more question on here - how will RC use all the talent he has and how will he integrate young, energetic and talented players like Powell, Marshall and Greene. I definately think the guys should steal minutes from some people higher than them on the depth chart. I think rexnom touched on this between his "Coaching" question and his "Chemistry" points. Will RC do that? I hope so.

Go Pacers!!!!!!!!!!

NICE THREAD!

YES, I AM READY FOR THE SEASON TOO! GO PACERS!

Nice post rexnom!

2.) Al's back!
    Al is the real deal. He has as much desire and drive as Granger, and he's shown improvement every year. His preseason was no fluke, and he feels he has a lot to prove in the way of consistency.

3.) JO.
    This is definitely Jermaine's best chance to have a good year. He has someone who will complement him offensively and take a lot of pressure off of him. And if we rely on good ball movement and Jermaine is committed it will play off of his strengths. He spent the offseason preparing himself for the best, and I hope it pays off.

5.) Health
    Easily my biggest concern.

6.) Jamaal Tinsley
    Completely dependent on #5. I have no doubt that Jamaal's one of the best when healthy. Now the offense fits him better as well.

7.) Jack
    As a player, he seemed to have a pretty good preseason. Less pressure could mean better results.

8.) Sarunas
    If he stays with the team, I'm sure he'll play better than in the preseason. He couldn't play much worse.

9.) Leadership
    It's not over-rated, and I don't think we'll have much of it. The Pacers made a mistake by naming someone who isn't a leader as their clear-cut leader. Not a knock on Jermaine, it's just not in his personality. Great talker, not-so-great doer.

I thought he showed a lot of progress last season, but he completely wiped that away with his preseason, in my eyes. We'll see.

13.) 4th quarters
    It's all about defense. If we can get the stops, we can do it. Al's help defense will certainly help, but it's another wait and see.

14.) Chemistry
    I hope it's as important as it's made out to be.

I can't wait untiul we have some real games to watch and to discuss.

29 hours and counting...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Despite my apprehension and low expectations for this year's team, I'm happily ordering NBA League Pass again, can't wait for tomorrow night!

Here's to a season of blocking out, high percentage looks and no controversy!

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    I just love the two letter thing...Is this just overrated?
    Yes, the two-letter thing is overrated.

But seriously, nice work.

Let's tip it off.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs