Thread: Which Pacers didn't like each other?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Which Pacers didn't like each other?

I was surprised by this quote from Jermaine O'Neal:

"I can't reiterate enough how much different things are this year," said O'Neal .... "This team is a different team. Everyone's happy all the time; you feel good about going to the gym. We didn't feel that way the last two years. If you don't like each other, it's tough to win."

So . . . what changed, who changed, to make the atmosphere different? Jax and Tins are still here. Saras is still here.

You could say Artest, but he was only in the locker room the first seven games.

Was it Croshere? I doubt it.

Was it Pollard. Seems even less likely.

Bender? Nah.

Was it Anthony Johnson? That may be the only choice we are left with, but I've never heard anything else to make me think AJ's influence was THAT negative.

Maybe it was that assistant coach.

Anybody got any ideas?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Which Pacers didn't like each other?

A Buddy I work with who interned with the Pacers over the summer says Fred Jones was a jerk to every body who he felt was unfairly starting ahead of him.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Ha!

I completely forgot about Freddy. Just goes to show you (if your report is true), what we see on the outside may be very different than the inside.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Didn't we hear all this same type of stuff last year? Weren't we being told how much better things were in this very regard?

I'm not sure we can take anything away from it to mean it means any certain player(s). It could just mean with the start of a new season everyone is trying to let bygones be bygones and starting with a clean slate. So right now they are telling themselves it's working. Or at least JO is parroting the party line and telling the press it's working.

Let's see how well everyone is getting along if they start losing and question marks develop. Being a transition year (with an attempt to change course), it's highly likely both of those things will hang over the team.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't we hear all this same type of stuff last year? Weren't we being told how much better things were in this very regard?
    Not that I recall.

Some "everybody's excited for the new season." But I don't remember any implications that we got rid of a trouble-maker (prior to Ron's craziness, that is).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it was probably AJ and Kevin O'Neil.

I don't really buy the Freddy thing, he always seemed to be joking around with everyone before games.

It DEIFINITLEY wasn't Pollard, he seemed to be good friends with everyone. Maybe Peja wasn't well liked either.

I just think our team was very cliquey last year, maybe it itsn't so much that way this year.

I believe it was AJ to the depth of my bones. I think he and Tins have never liked each other and I doubt he and Fred got along too well either for some reason. Not to even bring in the probability that he and Runi had issues.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

If there was tension between AJ and Tins, they shipped out the wrong guy. I just wonder, what would AJ have to be angry about. He was the starter, probably the overall best performing guy over the last half of the season.

AJ had a couple of million reasons to be p'd off about, besides the fact he felt he was the starter, which thought was underwritten by the attitude of the coaching staff.
    Add to that the human relations disaster K Oneill was and top that off with Ron Artest feeling un-appreciated and underpaid, followed by Peja being p'd off about being traded and you have a nice nest of trouble to brew in.

Comments like the one above aledgedly Jones felt he should start as well so in short the inmates had taken over the asylum already.

Last year there were no comments about atmosphere, just that "they understoof that interpersonal relations were important and as such JO had gone through lengths to "pull" Artest into the group, inviting him in to his house and out so socials.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    As I recall, the only thing we heard was that JO and Artest had sorted some things out. I don't recall ever hearing that the chemistry in the locker room had improved, especially on top of Reggie's commentator statement that chemistry was still the biggest problem.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I do feel like JO sort of repeats himself though. I mean last year he said this was the best team he'd ever been on, and he said the same thing this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    A Buddy I work with who interned with the Pacers over the summer says Fred Jones was a jerk to every body who he felt was unfairly starting ahead of him.
    Your buddy doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

AJ was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    I think it was probably AJ and Kevin O'Neil.

I don't really buy the Freddy thing, he always seemed to be joking around with everyone before games.

It DEIFINITLEY wasn't Pollard, he seemed to be good friends with everyone. Maybe Peja wasn't well liked either.

I just think our team was very cliquey last year, maybe it itsn't so much that way this year.
    I heard something similar about Fred, so I buy it. I also heard AJ was a problem.

Leisure Suit Larry

I heard about Fred and AJ too but it was probably just on here so that's why we all heard it. I don't think Fred was that bad because he was/is friends with Jack and he was Jack's backup. AJ would just whine all the time. You know if he was saying stuff to the public he was saying it to the team too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    I heard about Fred and AJ too but it was probably just on here so that's why we all heard it.
    I heard rumors on here yes, but I didn't pay them much mind until I heard worse rumors from another source.

The problem developed when we had so many injuries and players deep on the bench got major minutes. Not many players or people can go back to an old situation and be satisfied.

Pacesetter

How would anybody know? AJ could have been the biggest ******* in the locker room combined with Scot's pessimism, and urge to be the class clown, coupled with Austins inability to relax and lighten up combined with Fred's apathy, combined with Artest's lingering stinch. I mean where should a person begin with the speculation?