Thread: How lucky we are!!

diego

Default How lucky we are!!

I was driving home last night and listening to the Greg Rakestraw sports show, and as i was listening i thought about all the callers and emailers that often chime in complaining about our local teams.

Now, i believe as a true fan, you have every right to cheer, complain, cry, or whatever...but i really think as fans in Indianapolis we have become extremely spoiled. I think we have become so spoiled that we have not stopped to appreciate just how lucky we are to be living in Indy right now with the local franchises we have.

On the professional level we have a NBA and NFL team that are both legit championship contenders and have been playoff participants pretty much every year throughout the 90's and 2000's. The Colts have been to 2 AFC championships since 1995, have won division titles in AFC East and AFC South, and have been perennial in the playoffs. The Pacers have had one of the NBA's best records over the past decade and have had the ECF multiple times and the NBA finals once. They pushed the great Bulls to their toughest playoff matchup ever. They had some great battles with the Knicks. And they too have been perennial in the playoffs.

Both teams have outstanding management and outstanding coaching. Both teams have shown an ability to build a successful title contending team that can survive over a period of years, not just a one and done type team. Both teams have legitimate superstars. i mean think about it, we have the opportunity to cheer for Manning, Edge, Harrison, and Freeney....Reggie, JO, Artest....and these are just current players. Not to mention both teams have arguably some of the best coaches in their respective sports.

Now i know we have not won a title in either yet and it can get frustrating, but just the fact that we have winning franchises to cheer for and be fans of should make us all very proud. I would rather come agonizingly close to a championship than to never sniff the playoffs. With success always comes more expectations, as it should, but to think where this town was sports wise in 1985 versus where it is now...WOW!

All of this and i have not even mentioned the local college athletics we have in Indiana as well as all the minor league sports teams liek the Firebirds, Indians, etc... Overall Indy has become a very solid sports town and continues to only get better. So i thought it would be nice to sit back and apprecitae what we got before its no longer here.

Default Re: How lucky we are!!

Excuse the short response, but, you're right.

Yeah (even shorter response)
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

diego

Thats all right...i cant seem to get a thread going with any good talk. I guess i will just go join one of the other 15 threads about Popovich.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was driving home last night and listening to the Greg Rakestraw sports show, and as i was listening i thought about all the callers and emailers that often chime in complaining about our local teams.

Now, i believe as a true fan, you have every right to cheer, complain, cry, or whatever...but i really think as fans in Indianapolis we have become extremely spoiled. I think we have become so spoiled that we have not stopped to appreciate just how lucky we are to be living in Indy right now with the local franchises we have.

On the professional level we have a NBA and NFL team that are both legit championship contenders and have been playoff participants pretty much every year throughout the 90's and 2000's. The Colts have been to 2 AFC championships since 1995, have won division titles in AFC East and AFC South, and have been perennial in the playoffs. The Pacers have had one of the NBA's best records over the past decade and have had the ECF multiple times and the NBA finals once. They pushed the great Bulls to their toughest playoff matchup ever. They had some great battles with the Knicks. And they too have been perennial in the playoffs.

Both teams have outstanding management and outstanding coaching. Both teams have shown an ability to build a successful title contending team that can survive over a period of years, not just a one and done type team. Both teams have legitimate superstars. i mean think about it, we have the opportunity to cheer for Manning, Edge, Harrison, and Freeney....Reggie, JO, Artest....and these are just current players. Not to mention both teams have arguably some of the best coaches in their respective sports.

Now i know we have not won a title in either yet and it can get frustrating, but just the fact that we have winning franchises to cheer for and be fans of should make us all very proud. I would rather come agonizingly close to a championship than to never sniff the playoffs. With success always comes more expectations, as it should, but to think where this town was sports wise in 1985 versus where it is now...WOW!

All of this and i have not even mentioned the local college athletics we have in Indiana as well as all the minor league sports teams liek the Firebirds, Indians, etc... Overall Indy has become a very solid sports town and continues to only get better. So i thought it would be nice to sit back and apprecitae what we got before its no longer here.

Pistons-Wings-and (in two years) Lions

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Hmm. Nope. Not that excited. Would be different if either of the team had previously won something (besides ABA).

Like comparing Purdue B-ball to IU. No comparrison, becuase Purdue has never won it all.

diego

Hmm. Nope. Not that excited. Would be different if either of the team had previously won something (besides ABA).

Like comparing Purdue B-ball to IU. No comparrison, becuase Purdue has never won it all.

Not that excited? Whatever. You are probably a bandwagoner that only roots for a teams that most recently won a ring.

Not that excited? Whatever. You are probably a bandwagoner that only roots for a teams that most recently won a ring.
    I couldn't help but laugh quietly to myself when I saw a lady wearing a 90's Chicago Bulls T-Shirt on the campus of BSU yesterday and think "ouch".

Quote Originally Posted by diego
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Settle it, tough guy. I get your point about have two good franchises, but that is not enough. I'm not saying I want a team built to win it in one year and then get stuck with the crap.

Compare San Antonio to the Pacers since 85. Which team has done better?

Still not that excited

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If you feel the Pacers are a title contender, than there is INDEED no reason to be satisfied right now, because they haven't done anything. A second-or third-round loss would be a dissapointment.

However, if you DON'T expect the Pacers to win the east, then yes, I'd be excited if I were you.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

diego

Kstat,

Its not just about winning the title. That was not the purpose of the thread. Of course i would not be satisfied without a title, but that does not mean that i dont appreciate the fact we have two very good franchises in our city to cheer for. If you notice my post is about more than just winning. Its about the type of players we have, the coaches we have, and the way the franchises are run.

Yes winning a title is most important and believe me i dream about it everyday with both teams....but ultimately it is nice to know we have two solid franchises in Indianapolis to be fans of.

diego

Settle it, tough guy. I get your point about have two good franchises, but that is not enough. I'm not saying I want a team built to win it in one year and then get stuck with the crap.

Compare San Antonio to the Pacers since 85. Which team has done better?

Still not that excited

See i wasnt comparing us to San Antonio. If i were a fan of the Spurs i would be as equally happy to be a fan of that team. My point was about the city in general in terms of sports. Not this team versus other teams and that crap. If all you care about is titles, then i would question your passion for sports. I am and have been a fan of the Colts, pacers, and Reds, and would consider myself a passionate fan. But just because they are not winning titles does not mean i dont still get excited every time the season starts, or i dont get excited when we have years like this one...being a true sports fan is more than just waiting for them to win a ring.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes winning a title is most important and believe me i dream about it everyday with both teams....but ultimately it is nice to know we have two solid franchises in Indianapolis to be fans of.
    Not to harp on grammar (I'm from Greenwood, I've got little room to talk...)

But which is it, because it can't be both. If winning a title is most important, then ultimately, by definition, winning a title is most important.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

diego

Not to harp on grammar (I'm from Greenwood, I've got little room to talk...)

But which is it, because it can't be both. If winning a title is most important, then ultimately, by definition, winning a title is most important.

you know what i meant...

Southside_Pacer

Let's see what we have here:

Indianapolis Colts
    2003 AFC South Champions
    2003 AFC Runners Up
    Co MVP Peyton Manning
    Pro Bowlers in Freeney, Harrison, Manning, and Vanderjagt
    One of the best Presidents in the business
    One of the most respected head coaches in the game
    Will be featured on national TV four times

Indiana Pacers
    2003-2004 Central Division Champions
    2003-2004 NBA Regular Season Best Record
    2003-2004 First Round Playoff Sweep
    2003-2004 Defensive Player of the Year in Ron Artest
    2003-2004 JO named to NBA 2nd Team, Artest named to NBA 3rd Team
    2003-2004 JO All Star Starter, Artest All Star Reserve
    2003-2004 Carlisle Head Coach of the Eastern Conference All Stars
    2003 Larry Bird named President of Basketball Operations
    Walsh is one of the best in the business still as a GM

Indianapolis Indians
    Milwaukee finally sent some great players and the Tribe is off to a great start and should compete for a title this summer

Indiana Firebirds
    Probable AFL Rookie of the Year in Adrian McPhearson
    Possible Coach of the Year in Mike Wilpolt
    Possible Playoff Berth despite 0-5 start

Indiana Hoosiers
    2003 National Champions in Men's Soccer
    Despite the fact that IU's basketball team sucked this year, Davis did sign one of the nation's top recruiting classes that fit the team's needs

There's still high school sports that are popular, Notre Dame, Purdue, Ball State, IUPUI, Butler, Evansville, Valpo, etc all have loyal followings.

There's the Month of May down at the track, and the Brickyard 400 coming up.

Yeah, we've got a lot going on.

And nobody cares about hockey in this town as a whole as far as I know.

So you can have the Red Wings.