View Poll Results: Should F Troy Murphy be changed to FC?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: ABA Position Change Vote: Troy Murphy from F to FC

Hybrid View

Mood

Default ABA Position Change Vote: Troy Murphy from F to FC

I think we've all seen that Nellie plans to play the small front line of Dunleavy/Murphy, and he did in fact start Murphy at the C during the preseason.

http://www.nba.com/games/20061014/GSWDEN/boxscore.html

http://www.nba.com/games/20061017/GSWPOR/boxscore.html

Also,

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/nba/061003/v100334.html

Troy Murphy will move to centre in Don Nelson's running offence

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - Troy Murphy figures he's a perfect fit to shift to centre in new coach Don Nelson's up-tempo offence. Adonal Foyle is determined to drop a few pounds and prove he deserves ample playing time, too.
    The six-foot-11 Murphy will move from power forward to the middle for the Golden State Warriors this season, and Nelson plans to use Foyle - who two years ago signed a cushy new six-year deal worth nearly US$42 million - more on a by-need, matchup basis.

Nelson is already doing many things differently from what his players have been used to as he begins his second stint coaching the Warriors. They have missed the playoffs in 12 straight seasons since Nellie last took this team to the post-season in 1994 during his initial tenure in Oakland.
    Nelson, hired in a surprise move Aug. 30 to replace Mike Montgomery, is known for using four-guard lineups with an undersized centre.

"That's great. I'm looking forward to it," Murphy said. "I've seen the way he uses big guys who can shoot. I'm excited to play for him. Playing against centres and more physical guys, that means centres also will be covering me, which is what we're looking for. I don't think there are any centres who can cover me. I'll have to do my best on defence. I think it's going to be really good."

Murphy has averaged a double-double in scoring and rebounding in three of his previous four seasons and ranked sixth in the league at 10 rebounds per game last season. He scored 14 points per game and made 78.7 per cent of his free throws, a statistic that goes a long way with Nelson considering the coach knows how many close games Golden State lost at the line in the recent past.

"He's already shown me what I wanted to see - him buying into playing centre," Nelson said of Murphy. "If he's able to play some Five, it would really help in my scheme of things."

Nelson has made it clear he expects more than just Murphy to carry the rebounding load, calling for every player to improve his game and make adjustments to a new style of play.

He wants these men thin, and asked players to show up for training camp five pounds lighter.

"To run, everybody has to be in great shape," Murphy said. "You want to be in shape and you want to be lean and skinny. I'm sure as the season progresses and training camp progresses there will be adjustments I have to make."

Nelson is even demanding better free-throw shooting from stars Baron Davis and Jason Richardson if they want to be on the floor in crunch time - and hasn't hidden the fact he wants Davis to lose a few pounds from his 6-3 frame.

Foyle, beginning his 10th NBA season after the Warriors selected him with the eighth overall pick in the 1997 draft, averaged 4.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in 77 games last season and doesn't plan to sit on the bench without first doing his best to change Nelson's mind.

"Adonal is a wonderful person," Nelson said. "Certain nights he will play against the bigger centres and certain nights he won't play as much."
    For Foyle, already hearing that Nelson expects him to assume a lesser role is disappointing. But the 6-10 centre is down to 268 pounds from his playing weight of 277 last year and would like to be around 260 when the season tips off.

"What are you going to do? Part of the deal is you go along with the philosophy and you try to force the matter a little bit in terms of your play and make yourself more open to playing different positions and doing different things," Foyle said. "My job is to get into the best shape I can possibly get in and to be ready to show all the different dimensions of my game so he can see the cost of not playing me."

Mood

Default Re: ABA Position Change Vote: Troy Murphy from F to FC

I need someone to remind me of two things:

1) How long or how many votes does it take to end this poll?

2) Assuming the winning vote is "Yes", as commissioner, how do I change Murphy's position on the site?

I don't know what time frame you want to use, but as commissioner, when you log onto the main league page, on the left-hand margin, towards the bottom, is a link, "Update player eligibility." Click on that link and the rest is easy to figure out. I believe you can get there through the "toolbox" button too but this way's quicker.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

LosAngeles

No brainer.

Mood

I just went where you said, DK, and yeah that's easy enough. The odd thing though, is when I got there and pulled up Troy, he had "F" and "FC" already checked. Yet when I look at my team, I can only select "F".

Secondly, I don't remember our rules for passing a vote of this kind last year; can anyone refresh my memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just went where you said, DK, and yeah that's easy enough. The odd thing though, is when I got there and pulled up Troy, he had "F" and "FC" already checked. Yet when I look at my team, I can only select "F".

Secondly, I don't remember our rules for passing a vote of this kind last year; can anyone refresh my memory?
    We don't use FC as a separate position. You can if you want I guess - we won't be in the Keeper League though.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Oops - I accidentally voted twice in this poll.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

DK, waht do you do with a guy like Nene then in the KL, he's a FC according to all sites you look him up at?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    DK, waht do you do with a guy like Nene then in the KL, he's a FC according to all sites you look him up at?
    All players in the KL have the same position they ended last season at. If they were a FC, they'll be a C, FC and F.

In the KL there was no way to owners to adapt their teams, which included 9 players from last season, to a league which added two entirely new positions - positions teams hadn't, over 4 years, ever considered drafting for. FC and FG don't exist in the KL, just C, F and G, for scoring purposes, because that was how they were scored in the hoops.ws system.

You could probably start from scratch and tell owners you were going to score, say, 2 guards, 1 GF, 2 forwards, 1 CF and 2 centers and expect owners to have to draft with that in mind. I don't remember that being talked about but in theory it would be OK. But it wasn't OK for the KL

Mood

So if I want Murphy to be able to be a F or a C, I have to uncheck (or leave alone I guess) "FC", keep "F" checked, and check "C" as well?

So if I want Murphy to be able to be a F or a C, I have to uncheck (or leave alone I guess) "FC", keep "F" checked, and check "C" as well?
    Yup.

Mood

OK, so what was the deal last year with votes like this? I never needed to change my players' positions, so other than throwing my vote in when others wanted a change, I didn't pay a lot of attention to how long it took to "pass". Can I go ahead and switch Murphy, or would I normally need to wait for something?

OK, so what was the deal last year with votes like this? I never needed to change my players' positions, so other than throwing my vote in when others wanted a change, I didn't pay a lot of attention to how long it took to "pass". Can I go ahead and switch Murphy, or would I normally need to wait for something?
    That's up to the league - in the KL votes are open 24 hours and it takes 7 yes votes, as long as it's a majority in favor (10-7 against wouldn't work, or even 7-7). Since you have a bigger league you may want to go to 8 or 9 yes's - last year the KL took 7 and I THINK votes were 24 hours. Not sure what it was for the ABA.

Just depends how you want to work it. I'd say where the Murphy vote is right now you're pretty safe.

Mood

Well we have 24 teams this year, right? So wouldn't we need 13 votes?

Well we have 24 teams this year, right? So wouldn't we need 13 votes?
    I have 11 for a trade veto but some people won't really care on position changes and won't vote. But it's however you want to do it. I know last year it took 7 in the KL and I'm sticking with that.