Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I HATE Daylight Savings Time

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I HATE Daylight Savings Time

I completely forgot about it last night, so I've been awake since 5am for nothing.

Default Re: I HATE Daylight Savings Time

I do too. We have about 6 clocks in this house (radios and microwaves included). I'm going to be all messed up for the next month or so.

DST was one thing Indiana had right and the rest of the country (except AZ) had wrong.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to fall in with the rest of the world even when they're screwed up. My biggest gripe is we're in the wrong zone - we should be Central and it should be the whole state.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

At least you're not here. Sure, we get more sunlight in the morning now. But for the next 5 months, the sun is going to be down by 4pm.

I LOVED it. And we're going back at just the right time, getting another hour of daylight in morning, swapping out the hour in the afternoon. Works for me.
    We counted devices this morning, but quit after 13 or so. We certainly have 15-20 clocks, some of which didn't need resetting. One VCR did, one didn't, etc.
    As the Star said the other day, Time to quit whining about it.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

I like it.

Only thing I didn't like about it was that the west coast playoff games started at 10:30 instead of 9:30 - I still watched of course. But staying up until 1:00-1:30 when I have to wake up at 6:15 isn't good for work product.

Other than that I have no problem with it

Next year we get 4 more weeks of DST. Starting March 11th and ending November 4th

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

i have never experienced daylight savings time before; can somebody tell me the major effects that it may have on when i do things or what i do? We're still the same number of hours difference from the West or Midwest, right?
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Leisure Suit Larry

It doesnt have a major effect at all. Its just a one hour change, I like it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DST was one thing Indiana had right and the rest of the country (except AZ) had wrong.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to fall in with the rest of the world even when they're screwed up. My biggest gripe is we're in the wrong zone - we should be Central and it should be the whole state.

The entire state should not be on the same time. The areas in the state by Cincy and Louisville revolve around those 2 cities and need to be on the same time as those places, regardless of what the rest of Indiana does.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    The entire state should not be on the same time. The areas in the state by Cincy and Louisville revolve around those 2 cities and need to be on the same time as those places, regardless of what the rest of Indiana does.
    Why?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I hate it too... I was on call last night and had to spend an extra one hour in the hospital. It sucked.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

DK you summed up my feelings exactly.

Everyone should be on the same page, it's a shame the rest of the country had it wrong.

Why Not Us ?

Angry Re: I HATE Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Savings time is stupid and I hate it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

It confuses me......

But we save an hour, correct?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    It confuses me......

But we save an hour, correct?
    Supposed to. Funny, eather way there's still only 24 hours in the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The only difference seemed to be for me that I got a hangover an hour later...or is it earlier...
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DST had its time and place, back quite a few years ago. But, in this day and age, we do not need DST.

DST was great.

But if it had been central time that really, really would of sucked.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

If DST is so wonderful, why not just stay on it 365 days per year?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    At least you're not here. Sure, we get more sunlight in the morning now. But for the next 5 months, the sun is going to be down by 4pm.
    Same for Chicago. My S.A.D. took a real hit the first couple winters we lived here. But the problem isn't Daylight time, its "Standard" time. I'd like DST to be year-round.

Now, for Indiana,

The earth is 360 degrees around. Divide by 24 hours and you get 15 degrees. You are more than 15 degrees west of Boston (71 degrees W)(which isn't even the eastern-most city in the Eastern Time Zone.)

You've made a business decision to join the wrong time zone.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

sweabs

I'm not going to complain. I got an extra hour of partying out of it last night.

Why?
    I'm guessing you've never lived in either of those 2 areas, though I could be wrong.

I live in New Albany, right by Louisville. New Albany is just a few minutes from Louisville, and is a Louisville suburb, regardless of the fact that it's in a different state. New Albany gets the Louisville paper delivered in it, New Albany gets Louisville television stations. New Albany is basically Louisville, it's just in a different state. New Albany revolves around Louisville much like portions of New Jersey do New York, or how northern Indiana revolves around Chicago.

Alot of people in New Albany and the southern Indiana area by Louisville work in Louisville. Common sense should tell you that it should be on the same time as the city it revolves around, I can't believe I'm explaining this. It would be miserable for people if they had to be at work at 9 AM Louisville time, but that would just be 8 AM New Albany time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I'm guessing you've never lived in either of those 2 areas, though I could be wrong.

I live in New Albany, right by Louisville. New Albany is just a few minutes from Louisville, and is a Louisville suburb, regardless of the fact that it's in a different state. New Albany gets the Louisville paper delivered in it, New Albany gets Louisville television stations. New Albany is basically Louisville, it's just in a different state. New Albany revolves around Louisville much like portions of New Jersey do New York, or how northern Indiana revolves around Chicago.

Alot of people in New Albany and the southern Indiana area by Louisville work in Louisville. Common sense should tell you that it should be on the same time as the city it revolves around, I can't believe I'm explaining this. It would be miserable for people if they had to be at work at 9 AM Louisville time, but that would just be 8 AM New Albany time.
    But, the area of Indiana in the northwest revolves around Chicago. Are they getting to stay in the Central time zone, or are they having to go Eastern? I would wager that more people are afected in that area than the Cinncy/Lousville areas.

I don't get wanting more day light in the morning in the winter. Why would you want to lose an hour of daylight at the end when that is when it would be the warmest? I would rather it be dark when I'm going to school/work than when I am coming home and have time in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    But, the area of Indiana in the northwest revolves around Chicago. Are they getting to stay in the Central time zone, or are they having to go Eastern? I would wager that more people are afected in that area than the Cinncy/Lousville areas.

I don't get wanting more day light in the morning in the winter. Why would you want to lose an hour of daylight at the end when that is when it would be the warmest? I would rather it be dark when I'm going to school/work than when I am coming home and have time in the evening.

Definitely there are more people in Chicago area than the Louisville/Cincy, but that's not really the issue. The southern Indiana area near Louisville where I live has a pretty large amount of people, and it would be ridiculous for those towns which revolve around Louisville to be in a different time zone. It would be plain stupid.

The area in northwest Indiana should stay with whatever Chicago does, which will be stay in the central time.