Thread: Yao v Shaq

Default Yao v Shaq

I watched everyone of the 5 Lakers v Rockets games, and I am a little confused about what I saw.

Is Shaq losing his effectiveness, or is Yao just as good as Shaq.

I have not seen Shaq play that badly in a playoff series since the pacers beat him in 1994, [size=9:dcf901cf74]well maybe when Hakeem swept him in the 1995 Finals[/size]

Shaq played well, don't get me wrong, but he was no where near what he once was. But then I was thinking maybe it was because of Yao, or because Kobe is shooting so much.

What are your thoughts

Southside_Pacer

Default Re: Yao v Shaq

I think it's because Yao can extend the floor and shoot farther outside than Shaq could ever imagine. That forces Shaq to play defense outside of his comfort zone closer to the basket.

The height advantage also plays in.

I think Shaq's game has dropped off quite a bit this season. You don't notice it much because hes so big but his body takes a pounding every night plus hes heavy so his joints are going to start feeling the strain like his current knee injury. If you look at his stats from this season there has been a big drop off from previous seasons; a couple of years ago he averaged 29 pts per game this season just over 21.

Also if you look deeper into his performances this season you don't see the sheer dominance like he has done in the past. Like the 1st game of the finals against the 76ers a couple of years ago he had like 44 pts and 22 rebounds he doesn't have those kind of dominating performances anymore like he used to. The wear and tear is starting to show its only natural. Also this season as Shaq's mobility has lessened teams have taken advantage of him using the pick and roll pulling him away from the basket and forcing him to use more energy on the defensive end of the court.

My question is why did Phil Jackson have Shaq in the game with 4 minutes left and a 25 pt lead knowing hes nursing a sore knee? What was he thinking?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think alot of it has to do with Shaq's knee injury , he's just hasn't been as explosive as he has in the past and I think it's bothering him more than he's letting on , but you can't discredit Yao's game it has improved alot since last year and the one thing I think that holds Yao back is he is just not agressive as he seems a bit too timid most the time.