Thread: Carlisle: "We’ve Got A Lot Of Work To Do" {Daily Digest, Pacers.com 10.27.06}

Arrow Carlisle: "We’ve Got A Lot Of Work To Do" {Daily Digest, Pacers.com 10.27.06}

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/digest_061027.html

Carlisle: "We’ve Got A Lot Of Work To Do"

By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 27, 2006
    Given the last two performances, the best that can be said about the Pacers' preseason is that it's over.

Committing 61 turnovers and allowing 223 points in consecutive losses to Charlotte and Utah left the Pacers with a 3-5 record and plenty of areas for Coach Rick Carlisle and his staff to address in the four days of practice remaining before the regular season opens Wednesday Charlotte.

For Carlisle, the key is not to overreact to the preseason results while maintaining the necessary sense of urgency to correct the problems that have arisen.

Carlisle

"When we had 31 (turnovers against the Bobcats) I knew we weren't going to do worse than that and I was right (they had 30 in Utah)," he said. "But unfortunately we've got to cut our turnovers in half over the last two games. I know we can do it. It's got to be a combination of better defense and better decision-making. We'll get there.

"Right now, we're all glad these games don't count as real games but it sends a message that we've got a lot of work to do."

Early returns on the progress of the up-tempo offense haven't been overly encouraging. The Pacers averaged 96.0 points and .451 shooting in the preseason, producing more turnovers (181) than assists (155). In their five losses, they averaged 26.6 turnovers. Part of the problem was the fluid nature of lineups and rotations due to a series of injuries that were relatively minor but nonetheless disruptive to the preparation process.

With the team nearly at full strength now – only Orien Greene (broken finger) and John Edwards (groin) missed the Utah game – Carlisle hopes these final few days of practice will offer the opportunity to tie off the loose ends.

"It's probably been the most difficult (preseason) from the standpoint of new personnel and health issues and just general inconsistency," he said. "But I've seen enough good things to not be dismayed by it, and just know that we have to keep working to improve. It's as simple as that, really.

"The positives are our health situation appears to be improving. That's the major positive. The downside is the inconsistency. We have four days to practice together, to work on different lineups and possible rotations and try to get some cohesiveness at both ends of the court. It's an important stretch for us."

HARRINGTON'S STRONG PERFORMANCES ENCOURAGING

Harrington

One of the few players to offer consistently encouraging preseason performances was Al Harrington, who put his considerable talents on display immediately. He led the team in preseason scoring (17.0) and steals (2.1) while shooting .506 from the field and averaging 5.0 rebounds – all in 24 minutes per game.

He scored at least 20 points four times, including a 24-point, 13-rebound effort in Utah.

"He's played well," Carlisle said. "He's shown he can run the floor effectively, that he can play out of movement effectively and that he can create individually if we need him to do that. And he's also, as he was here before, a very good team defender. He's been a great addition."

Harrington knows full well, however, the team has much progress to make in a short period of time.

"We can’t afford to play like that going into the regular season," he said after the Utah loss. "We should play a lot better and (have) these next four days of practice to improve. We've got to get better. We've got to come out of the gate stronger, we've got a lot of games on the road."
    The Pacers play 13 of their first 19, and 23 of 39, on the road.

DIFFICULT ROSTER DECISIONS LOOMING

With 17 still on the roster, the Pacers must pare that number by two by Tuesday evening. Final cuts are universally difficult but perhaps moreso this season because of the intense competition for jobs.

Of the players widely perceived to be "on the bubble," Rawle Marshall has played the most consistently (7.9 points, seven steals, seven blocked shots) but is in a position already stocked by Stephen Jackson, Marquis Daniels and James White; Josh Powell (7.7, 4.6 rebounds) had a productive burst midway through the schedule but tailed off in the last two games, totaling three points and two rebounds in 19 minutes; and Edwards offers the promise of a skilled 7-footer but has missed almost all of the preseason with injuries to his back and groin.

It's possible the Pacers could pursue a trade to solve the roster overcrowding but that's generally difficult to do this time of year because most of the competition is in the same position.

"I'm not sure if or what other options are being explored but I can tell you every team in the league right now feels that they have 16 or 17 NBA players and don't want to cut anybody," Carlisle said. "I don't think we're that different from a majority of teams in the league right now. From that standpoint, I know we're not alone."

LINEUP, ROTATIONS STILL EVOLVING

Though the projected starting lineup (Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Jackson, Danny Granger, Harrington and Jermaine O'Neal) was together for the final two games, those just happened to be the team's two worst performances of the preseason.

Though Carlisle believes the smaller front line of Granger, Harrington and O'Neal has the most potential, he's not yet ready to pronounce it his opening-night group.

"That's a tough one," he said. "I do think it can work, but right now I'm not committing to anything."

The primary alternative would be a bigger front line of Harrington, O'Neal and Jeff Foster, making Granger the sixth man.

Carlisle indicated the lineups and rotations that begin the season won't necessarily be locked.

"It's evolving and it'll evolve for awhile," he said. "I feel like I have some ideas about what will be effective but we're still too early in the process to say we've solved anything."

Default Re: Carlisle: "We’ve Got A Lot Of Work To Do" {Daily Digest, Pacers.com 10.27.06}

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers play 13 of their first 19 on the road.
    Wow.

I'll be very happy with a 0.500 record after 19 games.

Mood

Default Re: Carlisle: "We’ve Got A Lot Of Work To Do" {Daily Digest, Pacers.com 10.27.06}

Does it annoy anyone else that Conrad refers to John Edwards as "skilled"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It gave me a chuckle.

I had a mixed reaction of surprise, mild annoyance and pure wonder.

Prepping his trade value?

Maybe "skilled" is like saying she has a good personality, which means shes ugly.

skilled = soft

Ya, I really have no idea.

Maybe something like.... punctual could have been more acurate... or tall, maybe.

Edwards offers the promise of a punctual 7-footer but has missed almost all of the preseason with injuries to his back and groin.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    With 17 still on the roster, the Pacers must pare that number by two by Tuesday evening.
    That's gotta hurt for anyone, to be waived the day before opening night.

Though John Edwards probably already knows what's coming...

I'm still hoping we can find a way to keep all the young guys.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Not at all...he is skilled! With his deadly and unstoppable sky-hook, he is
    the closest thing you'll find to a caucasian Abdul-Jabbar in the NBA!

:johnedwards:

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Not at all...he is skilled! With his deadly and unstoppable sky-hook, he is
    the closest thing you'll find to a caucasian Abdul-Jabbar in the NBA!

:johnedwards:
    I'm completely bedazzled by the dancing bannana and carrot/peppers? GO KAREEM ABJOHN JAEDWARDS!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hicks, giving Bruno the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming it's one of two things:

- Company line to up his trade value so that when NBA GM's have to Google him to see who the hell he is, they get 'Skilled' on the same web page.

- Bruno is using skilled specifically in reference to that pregame rap Reggie used to make him do.

I'm going with number 2 on this one.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Mood

I'm worried that it's to soften the blow of us keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

Wow.

I'll be very happy with a 0.500 record after 19 games.
    Same. That's why I think we should prepare for a very slow start. Just be ready for it and don't act like it's the end of the world. It's not.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by speed
    Maybe "skilled" is like saying she has a good personality, which means shes ugly.

skilled = soft
    I got another adjective to discribe a player that is usually "worse then advertised"... He is a "Hard-nosed" player.

What it means, I don't know. Usually it is used to descibe someone of Edwards "skill"!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    That is why I nearly did this to my computer when I read that.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

It does fit the pattern doesn't it?

But nobody in the front office could be that stupid... could they?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

sweabs

With the encouraging play by Harrington in this new style of offense, I really have no problem making him our man at the 4 spot and making Danny our guy at the 3. I still think those two are best suited for this type of game. If Jermaine can't accept playing the 5, then tough luck. If he can't mix in well with the starting 5, then maybe TPTB will realize it may be time to part ways and get a centre who can play in this type of offense. I am that comfortable with Danny and Al at the forward spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It does fit the pattern doesn't it?

But nobody in the front office could be that stupid... could they?

-Bball
    Yes they can. I can feel it in my bones. They will cut Rawle and Josh and keep Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Yes they can. I can feel it in my bones. They will cut Rawle and Josh and keep Edwards.
    The thought of that is ridiculous. Powell is not going anywhere. Doesn't he have guaranteed money too?

It is possible, sadly, that Rawle could get cut. We have other decent swing men including Daniels, Jackson, White and Granger...where 3 of the 4 are currently better players.

BUT TPTB need to get creative to hang onto Rawle. As another poster mentioned, we might need more depth at the swing positions with Daniels and Jackson possibly being out due to injury or jail time.

I have a hard time imagining they could keep Edwards. I do admit it wouldn't totally surprise me because Edwards would seem to give us a 7'er at the end of the bench that Walsh seems to love. But the man was barely used when he was here the first time and it he hasn't even played this preseason. Altho historically we've given too much leeway to some injured players and sent some very bad signals to other teammates while doing so, this would be the absolute WORST signal (in this regard) we could send. You have players busting their tails to make the team. You have a team in transition. You have a team striving for better chemistry. And did I mention you have players busting their tails to make the roster? And while observers debate how to make room for 2 players who seemingly have done everything and more to make the roster, the team would cut them and keep a player who never took the floor all preseason?

There would be no more debate about the ineptness of our management at that point. That would mean we have people in charge who need to be hospitalized in a padded cell.

As bad as our current braintrust have allowed things to get, I have a hard time imagining they could be that stupid.

....But I don't entirely discount the possibility either.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    With the encouraging play by Harrington in this new style of offense, I really have no problem making him our man at the 4 spot and making Danny our guy at the 3. I still think those two are best suited for this type of game. If Jermaine can't accept playing the 5, then tough luck. If he can't mix in well with the starting 5, then maybe TPTB will realize it may be time to part ways and get a centre who can play in this type of offense. I am that comfortable with Danny and Al at the forward spots.
    I agree, and the first team I'd call is Atlanta to ask about Joe Johnson.

Carlisle: "We’ve Got A Lot Of Work To Do"

At this point - the master of understatement.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Same. That's why I think we should prepare for a very slow start. Just be ready for it and don't act like it's the end of the world. It's not.
    I agree. This team has had some slow starts that ended up good, and I can think of at least one recent season where they came out like gangbusters and dropped hard after the brawl.

Like preseason I'll be watching the style of play, looking for improvements, things like that. There will probably be a healthy dose of losing, but as long as they find their way and start to bring it together they should be fine.

Look at Miami in Wade's first year. They struggled, especially when he missed a long stretch with an injury, but once he came back and their schedule got really favorable in the home/road ratio they took off and ran their way up to a 2nd round matchup vs the Pacers that went 6 games. All the year before Shaq of course.

I'd say its gonna go down to 2 of the 3:
    Rawle/Edwards/Baston
    Most likely the first two.

I just don't see us keeping Jeff, DH, Edwards on the same roster.

I don't see how they can soften the blow of a bullet going through my skull.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I don't see how they can soften the blow of a bullet going through my skull.
    Such a perfect setup line and I'm just gonna let it pass
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.