Thread: ABA League Info

Default ABA League Info

I was going to tag this onto one of the other threads but decided some of this is pretty important.

First, I have all the picked players up to Grant Hill entered on rosters. One of the other commish's (or several) may want to double-check that I have those correctly. In the KL I saved TT instead of KT for someone - I'd hate to, say, give Frank Slade Jerome instead of Lebron James.

Second, I'll be gone for about the next 3 hours. This afternoon/evening I'll start changing the draft order for later rds to match what's on the draft thread. That'll take a while - in the KL I only had 60 and it still took over an hour. Here we're talking over 200.

One of the things you may want to consider (I think Ken suggested this) is cutting off the 24-hour draft at the end of a round. There's a setting for how many keepers to enter and right now I have it at 4. I'm not sure what happens if we start a draft in the middle of a rd - will it let us set a 4th rd draft order if we're in the middle of it? - but I don't really want to find out.

And if any other commish's want to work on the draft order feel free - if 3 of us each took 3 rds it would go quicker (if having 3 people changing orders at the same time wouldn't blow up the site). But I'm bach'ing tonight - if I need to do all of it I can.

For owners:

If you can't be on the site for the draft you can go on now and pre-rank NBA players. The players that have already been picked will still show up so you'll have to work around it. If you have those set, even if you can't be on tomorrow, the site will auto-draft for you from that order - I hope. I think Ken did that in the KL so he can say how that worked. The players that have been added to rosters will disappear when the draft starts. And once the draft starts you'll be given the chance to build a draft queue which acts like contingency lists did on sports.ws.

Which brings us to the biggest monkey in the wrench. For whatever reason, the closest time offered by the site to when we want to start is 6:30 AM tomorrow morning. Next closest is Tuesday. Now I don't know why this is but it did the same thing when I was setting up the KL draft - and then weekend times suddenly appeared. I HOPE the same thing will happen here but if it doesn't commish's will need a backup plan.

Also, someone will need to check draft orders shortly before the draft - I had to enter the KL order 3 times. The last time was Friday evening (we started the draft at 9 the next morning) and that one held up.

I'm planning on being de-commissioned tonight unless Hicks & co desperately want help during the draft. I can be there tomorrow, not Sunday though.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: ABA League Info

I have a major school project to work on today, so I'm sorry but I can't help with getting the .com site to do what we want regarding draft picks and orders.

If you can grant me temporary commish powers I should be able to work on the draft order this evening.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

All sounds good...Not sure my exact plans later tonight, but may just be around the house. Drop me a PM if you need help inserting things into the NBA.com site, and I'll help out if available.

Also....It looks like Round 3 will hopefully wrap up shortly. I have the last pick in Round 3/first in Round 4. I'm planning to just make the one pick, and save Round 4 for tomorrow (assuming we are able to get the "weekend time" to appear). Is that the way to go? Like you said, DK, not sure we want to experiment with mid-round starts.

Please advise.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Unfortunately I'm moving into a new workspace today, otherwise I would gladly volunteer.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I'm locked out of any sports related sites here at work & I have plans for most of the evening as well. I will be freed up late tonight to help tie up any loose ends.

I want to thank everyone for coming together & getting this league back on track.

Well, I have the picks up to Ginobolli entered and I've changed the draft order for rds 4-12. I must be getting better at it - took less than 2 hours.

Jay - I think that's the thing to do - stop after rd 3 and pick up with rd 4 on the site.

However - the draft date and time is still 6:30 tomorrow - the commishes need to stay on top of that - change it if that option shows up and come up with another plan if it doesn't. Someone should also check the draft order tomorrow morning and make sure it holds up. I had to redo it a couple of times with the KL but the one I did Friday held up until the next day. Wouldn't be a terrible idea for someone to check what I did too - it wouldn't suprise me if I made a mistake or two. By rd 10 or so my eyes were starting to glaze.

Finally, if one of the commissioners would uncheck the "commish powers" box next to my name, I'd appreciate it. I won't be around tomorrow morning from about 8:30 to 11 but other than that I'm happy to answer questions.

Maybe I just can't see it (where would it be?), but I don't seem to be a commissioner on the .com site, so I can't do anything in that regard.

Displaced Knick & Hicks

I removed DK from the commish list & added Hicks.

I should be up late tonight. I'll give it a look & make sure all the hard work you put in, is still in place.

Round 3 is over
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I have 0 experience with this website, so someone tell me what I need to do for tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I need to pick a co-commissioner to handle tomorrow. Hell, considering what work I still have to do in the real world, probably both.

All right, I've added Frank Slade and Jay Redd as co-commissioners.

And as of this writing, I can't change the start of the draft time from 6:30AM tomorrow. When should that change?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have 0 experience with this website, so someone tell me what I need to do for tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I need to pick a co-commissioner to handle tomorrow. Hell, considering what work I still have to do in the real world, probably both.
    The draft will start on its own - so nothing. Might want to doublecheck & make sure the players from the 1st 3 rds and draft order are still OK before the draft starts.

Your biggest job will be drafting for whoever sends you lists. But that's not too bad.

Then there's figuring out what to do if the site doesn't give you a Saturday Noon start option before you decide you want to get some sleep - that's the one major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    All right, I've added Frank Slade and Jay Redd as co-commissioners.

And as of this writing, I can't change the start of the draft time from 6:30AM tomorrow. When should that change?
    Dunno - it may not. You may want to send a message to the site admins.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The draft will start on its own - so nothing. Might want to doublecheck & make sure the players from the 1st 3 rds and draft order are still OK before the draft starts.
    All the players from Rounds 1-3 are now on the correct teams. I also just send an email through the "Contact Us" form asking what's going on with the draft time availablity.

I'll double-check the rest of the draft order now.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs