Thread: We need a new Commissioner

Default We need a new Commissioner

As of now I am no longer commissioner of this league.

If nobody steps forward to fill this position, there will be no league this season.

I can & will grant commish powers to the first person that PM's me their interest in the position.

I will continue to update the draft thread & I would like to continue as an owner, should there be a league.

Thanks

Default Re: We need a new Commissioner

Jose, I totally understand your frustration. This isn't an easy thing to do at all.

I'd really love for you to stay though. You have done a wonderful job thus far. And we can still make this happen if we stick together.

But if you decide to leave anyhow, thank you for the enormous amount of work you did for us.

We need a quick decision on what will happen with the draft (I'd say, just let the commissioner decide), so let us now whether you'll stay or not...

I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jose, I totally understand your frustration. This isn't an easy thing to do at all.

I'd really love for you to stay though. You have done a wonderful job thus far. And we can still make this happen if we stick together.

But if you decide to leave anyhow, thank you for the enormous amount of work you did for us.

We need a quick decision on what will happen with the draft (I'd say, just let the commissioner decide), so let us now whether you'll stay or not...

Too bad, thanks again for all the work...

EDIT - Any candidates to become the new commissioner?

I sent Ken a PM to ask whether he wants to do it...

Jose,

Though I fully understand the frustration and irritation and all other feelings that surround you at the moment, I still want to ask you as a friend, to reconsider this decision.

I know some of us have been talking a bit more then needed and picking a bit less then needed, but let's just forget that part, and move on.

This league is all about tradition; traditionally it's Jose Slaughter's league, top of the crop, "old core" league.

Let's not do away with that, you are doing and have done a brilliant job, no matter what people might say or suggest, that's a fact and I am sure ALL think that way.

Please reconsider.

abel
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I must admit that I feel a bit guilty as one of the rookies, and also as one of the more vocal folks inside this sub forum since I arrived.

I guess my excitement about being involved could have translated into obnoxiousness. For that, I'm sorry.

I hope that the league continues, and I hope we have a great season.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default FYI

A couple of days ago Jose asked me about how the online draft worked since I'd been through it with the Keeper League. I knew (or strongly believed) I'd have some time today so I offered to help him out by entering players already drafted and setting the draft order for later rds. So he gave me commish powers which will be temporary.

In order to do that I had to change the draft settings on the site - it won't let me enter a draft order unless it thinks there's actually going to be a draft. For whatever reason, as of right now there's no calendar setting for a draft to start later than 6:30 a.m. Saturday. Don't ask me why - the same thing happened with the KL and then a couple days before the draft, weekend times showed up. I hope the same thing happens here. Whatever happens, I don't believe we'll be starting it at 6:30 unless a new commish decides that's the way he wants to go.

So I'll be on the site today setting the draft order up and entering players already drafted. However I will NOT be commish for the season - the KL takes enough of my time. If someone doesn't step up to take over in the fairly near future I imagine the league will just die. I'm going by the assumption today that someone will step up. I guess we'll see.

BTW - you should now be able to go onto the site and rank players - there's a pre-rank link somewhere - I think under "My Team."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I have a question. Can there be more than one user set as co-commissioner of a league? I think we're all pretty busy, but if we can share the responsibility, that may work.

If not, I'll volunteer to be the commissioner ONLY IF NO ONE ELSE VOLUNTEERS. I do NOT have time for this, but frankly I think it's ridiculous to let a little whining end this before it truly begins, and if that's what it takes, I'll find a way. I'll just need tutoring from those who have done this before or are doing it now (DisplacedKnick, Jose) so I can work the site. I've handled plenty of whining (and much worse) on PD and in the elementary classroom the last three years; I can handle a little more if necessary.

So put me down as "if it looks likes we're going to die otherwise, Hicks will do it" and then when that probably happens (as no one has spoken up yet), it will be "Hicks is commissioner until he finds a replacement". But it's silly to let this die.

I'm sorry if my tone offends anybody, but that's how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have a question. Can there be more than one user set as co-commissioner of a league? I think we're all pretty busy, but if we can share the responsibility, that may work.
    Absolutely - on the owner page there's a box you can click with "Grant commissioner authority" or something like that.

This is a new site so to a certain extent even Jose and I are kind of feeling our way around but I'll offer any support (but not as co-commissioner - just advice) I can to whoever takes over.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

All right; that's good. So, would anyone volunteer to be a co-commissioner with me? I can handle the draft, but I'd certainly need assistance maintaining the league throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    All right; that's good. So, would anyone volunteer to be a co-commissioner with me? I can handle the draft, but I'd certainly need assistance maintaining the league throughout the season.
    From the sheer fact that I am in front of a PC most all day I don't mind helping out in any way I can. This is the busy season (NFL) for me, but I'll manage to find some time to ensure we keep this alive.

Being a newbie to this league, I'll need filled in on the nuances and jist of everything, but I'll do what I can to assist if needed.

(That's if no one else wanted to volunteer)

Why Not Us ?

I appreciate it, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    From the sheer fact that I am in front of a PC most all day I don't mind helping out in any way I can.
    I echo what Frank said basically. I spend way to much time in front of a computer at work, so I can help handle anything that comes up.

I've run a bunch of baseball and football leagues over the past 3-4 years, so I know primarilly what to expect from fantasy. This league is HUUUGE so that will present some unforeseen problems I imagine, and I'm as unfamiliar with the NBA.com site for fantasy purposes as you all are, but I can help out whereever needed.

It would be a shame for this to all fall apart just because people seemed not to understand how quickly the days until the season arrived would pass. We just have to get the players on the teams and we'll be fine.

Let me know what you need Hicks.

And thanks for all the work, Jose.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will also help out when needed. I have access to a computer pretty much whenever I need it. My plate isn't too full either at the moment.

Thank you Jose for all of the work you did on the league. You were a great Commish.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's too bad, Jose. I liked the job you did. Thanks for all your hard work.

I'm just completely overwhemled with work and school right now, not to mention constant PC problems. I'm trying to do the best I can with what little free time I have. It doesn't help that Halloween is this Tuesday, either.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It doesn't help that Halloween is this Tuesday, either.
    Aw...

Are you trying to figure out what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle you're going to be?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Aw...

Are you trying to figure out what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle you're going to be?

Nah, I'm pretty sure I've settled on Kickyourassatello.

The pain in the ass is, I have school/work from 9am to 9pm on Halloween. I'm debating skipping my late class at least.

I still think Jose should remain commish.

For me that is 75% of the reason of playing in this league to begin with.

And no, I have no time and no interest in becomming commish.

I just wonder how you are all ready to rave and rant about the draft but take time beyond normal to select a pick when you are up.
    Then when the commish announces the sole solution he has, you all start given "advice" on how to run it, no wonder he reacts that way.

A lot of the attraction to play just left throught the backdoor along with Jose.

I can understand you're busy, each and everyone, certainly LA, but I too work 20 hours a day 7 days a week at the moment, and yet I find time to get near a puter, use my laptop, blackberry, someone's server or desktop wherever I am or whatever, and once my pick is near I narrow down my selection, pm them to Jose and done.

It is Jose's league, it was and it is and he decides what happens, you knew the rules when you entered, and this is not a democracy, one ship, one captain.

Sorry if offend anyone, but I am extremely upset over this.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The way it is now looks good to me.

Jose Slaughter Head Commissioner

Hicks Assistant Commissioner
    Frank Slde Assistant Commissioner
    Jay Redd Assistant Commissioner
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Jose has indeed stepped down, and it looks like myself, Frank Slade, and JayRedd are sharing the responsibility right now. Jose has offered to help me, so he's still involved (and obviously he's a part of the league).

It seems I'm the "head" commissioner, but frankly, I don't think it matters. But speaking for myself, I don't plan to make any changes from Jose's setup. The only decision I'm making along with the others is when to start the draft tomorrow, where it will be, and how we'll do it.

Other than that, we'll all just keep it the way it's been going. If there's a question, I'll ask Jose and I'll know what normally would happen, and we'll keep things going.