Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stern bites bullet, wants players to leave guns at home (ESPN.com)

Post Stern bites bullet, wants players to leave guns at home (ESPN.com)

David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

More...

Leisure Suit Larry

Default Re: Stern bites bullet, wants players to leave guns at home (ESPN.com)

So Stern wants to run these guys' lives now? Pathetic.

Yep and he can apparently.
    He tells 'em what to wear, what ball to play with, when to have a crap.
    Herr Schtern does it all for the good of the league.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

God I hate this guy. Where's my Napolean Stern avat..., nope if I changed my avy and the Colts lost on Sunday I'd never forgive myself. Eh, yeah I would, but Grace would give me ****.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Is Stern dictator of the NBA? Honestly, is he commissioner for a life term? When does he just go away?

Red face Re: Stern bites bullet, wants players to leave guns at home (ESPN.com)

Really, really sad.
    (not Stern)

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It pretty much has. It's been going down hill for atleast 10 years now.
    Stern is a big problem. So are certain immature players in the league, including on our team. Only the facts.

So we cant talk bad about any person in the world anymore? Aint that nice. Lets just pretend we love everybody and everybody is great. I love Sarunas Jasikavicus and I love Rick Carlisle. YAY.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Until they take away the 2nd amendment....Stern can go fly a kite. It's not a league issue. If a player has all the permits needed to carry a firearm, what's the problem? There are laws and local law enforcement to police the use of a firearm. This is an area Stern should tread very lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Really, really sad.
    (not Stern)
    I don't follow you...Are you saying because they are ball players, they have less of a right to carry a firearm? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    So we cant talk bad about any person in the world anymore? Aint that nice. Lets just pretend we love everybody and everybody is great. I love Sarunas Jasikavicus and I love Rick Carlisle. YAY.
    Everyone can comment on whatever they want in whatever way they want as long as civil language is used.

Calling anybody names is simply prohibited.

Also means that if ppl call you names, they get the same treatment as when they call JO names.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Leisure Suit Larry

Uhh...what did i say?

Leisure Suit Larry

careful with the personal attacks moses....

Mood

Some of you seem to miss the point. If you insult anyone (by name calling or otherwise), a member, or a non-member, it's gone. Period.

Some of you love to whine about "power trips". What power? It's a frickin' internet message board. I have the luxury of choosing what I don't want to see on here, and attacks are one of them. If you don't like it, then you don't like it.

Leisure Suit Larry

this is DAVID STERN we are talking about, I doubt he reads it and gets offended.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    this is DAVID STERN we are talking about, I doubt he reads it and gets offended.
    I don't really care if he's offended or not.

Come on guys. We are supposed to be on here to discuss the Pacers anyways. Just because we can't do any "name calling" isn't a big deal. It doesn't matter if you, I, or anyone else agrees or disagrees with it. It's a rule so we have to follow it. It's not a big deal.

Anyways about the topic, I think that it is stupid to carry a gun with you because I think you are only asking for trouble, but it isn't my choice and it's not David Sterns choice. David Stern does not have the right to tell the players that they can or cannot carry a gun with them outside of their homes. He isn't the law. He is a basketball commisioner. Stick to basketball David. You can't really control player's lives like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Until they take away the 2nd amendment....Stern can go fly a kite. It's not a league issue. If a player has all the permits needed to carry a firearm, what's the problem? There are laws and local law enforcement to police the use of a firearm. This is an area Stern should tread very lightly.

I don't follow you...Are you saying because they are ball players, they have less of a right to carry a firearm? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Wasn't talking about the players.

woah, how daring of an employer to ban guns in the workplace. why...that never happens.

it is also perfectly legal for me to get drunk. but if i go into work that way, i will have an issue.

employers set rules for their employees, no big deal. no rights infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by gph View Post
    woah, how daring of an employer to ban guns in the workplace. why...that never happens.

it is also perfectly legal for me to get drunk. but if i go into work that way, i will have an issue.

employers set rules for their employees, no big deal. no rights infringement.
    Maybe I misunderstood it but I think that Stern is trying to say you can't have a gun outside of your house, even if your not taking part in an NBA function. So like it would have been illegal for Stephen Jackson to have his gun at a strip club. I think that Stern is trying to make that illegal, carrying a gun anywhere outside of your home.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    Really, really sad.
    (not Stern)
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    Wasn't talking about the players.
    I was thinking the same thing.

As for Stern trying to regulate the players' gun-carrying habits, it goes a little too far here. He can say not to take them to NBA functions, and I have no problem. But, I don't think he should tell them to keep them at home strictly. If they have to keep them at home, it almost defeats the purpose of having it at all.

The dress code is fine. Changing the ball is stupid, but within his power. This is a step to far, and I don't think the NBAPA will go with this.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I believe it was a suggestion, not a mandate
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I believe it was a suggestion, not a mandate

Here is what he said:

"...the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out."

"Asked what kind of firearm rule he would want if collective bargaining weren't involved, Stern said: "I would favor being able to have a firearm to protect your home. Period."

He added that walking the streets carrying guns was "dangerous for our players," but said there has been no further discussion with the union about strengthening the policy."

How is that being a dictator? Sounds like he is trying to protect the image of the league and keep the players in work.

Well, even as a suggestion, it's a bad one. He should have kept that to himself, because he's basically saying he'd prefer it if the players didn't have one of their constitutional rights. It's the same as saying "the players should waive their right to unreasonable search and seizure, because statistics show that those who are being searched have usually done something wrong anyways".

If he wants to make a rule, fine, so long as he's willing to defend that rule. Otherwise, he's just trying to make himself more important than the game.

Actually, he should have said what he really ment which was, "I know players have the legal right to carry their weapons, but if they are going to carry said weapons and do stupid things with them that make the league look bad then maybe they should leave them at home."

I guess I just prefer my commisioner to be seen and not heard. This is a non-issue, because there's absolutely nothing he can do about it. And if he feels like making a suggestion, maybe he could send out a memo. The press is a bad place to make suggestions.