Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    I haven't seen numbers lately, but you have to wonder if any coming democratic tide is having an effect on Limbaughs listenership. But when I hear things like this you just have to wonder, what kind of mind listens to this guys and says to himself, "Yeah, yeah, now this is the kind of guy I want to spend 3 hours a day listening to."


    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408508/

    Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox political ad
    Conservative talk show host accuses actor of faking Parkinson's disease

    Possibly worse than making fun of someone's disability is saying that it's imaginary. That is not to mock someone's body, but to challenge a person's guts, integrity, sanity.

    To Rush Limbaugh on Monday, Michael J. Fox looked like a faker. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, has done a series of political ads supporting candidates who favor stem cell research, including Maryland Democrat Ben Cardin, who is running against Republican Michael Steele for the Senate seat being vacated by Paul Sarbanes.

    "He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."...

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    I listen to Rush whenever I can, which is usually every day. I heard what he said about Fox and the articles I'm reading today on what he said simply are not telling the full story.

    Fox has admitted that he stopped taking his meds a few years back before he testified before congress (so the effects of his disease would be more pronounced) so Rush after seeing the commercial (which I consider shameful as if some people don't want to cure certain diseases) Rush said that maybe Fox didn't take his meds before doing that commercial and then said or maybe he's acting.


    That article is so B.S. Rush never accuses Fox of faking a disease. That is a false statement


    here is what Rush said


    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/dai...ght.guest.html

    They bring forth people who they think are victims for the purposes of exploiting them, and when you bring forth -- for example, if you're talking about embryonic stem cell research, and you want to convey the notion that the Republicans are opposed to it, and in effect they're for people having Parkinson's Disease. Make no mistake that's what the intent is.

    Then you bring forth a person who's suffering the disease, and you illustrate the disease and the ravages and the suffering on TV to create sympathy and infallibility, because you're not supposed to be able to attack somebody or criticize somebody in any way or in any regard if they suffer from the disease. It's considered cold-hearted and cruel. What's happening here is that Michael Fox has entered the political arena with his attack, which includes false information about Senator Talent and Michael Steele in Maryland. That's fair game, and I am not going to follow the script that says we're not allowed to comment on the things said by participants, "victims," what have you, that the Democrats put forth as infallible in the middle of a political campaign.

    Now, in terms of Michael J. Fox, I did some research today, and I found his book that was published. It's "Lucky Man," 2002, but he admits in the book that before Senate subcommittee on appropriations I think in 1999, September of 1999, he did not take his medication for the purposes of having the ravages and the horrors of Parkinson's disease illustrated, which was what he has done in the commercials that are running for Claire McCaskill and Jim Talent. So when you insert yourself into the political arena this way, to expect insulation and absolution and to expect yourself not to have what you say criticized in the manner in which you're trying to sway opinion is a little bit I think above the fray. I mean, to think that you're immune from any sort of criticism, it's worked in the past for Democrats, but it doesn't work here.

    RUSH: All right, people are asking for the cite, that's c-i-t-e. This would be Michael J. Fox, an excerpt from his book "Lucky Man" June 1, 2002. Here is what he writes regarding his appearance before a Senate appropriations subcommittee hearing in Washington on September 28th, 1999: "I had made a deliberate choice to appear before the subcommittee without medication. It seemed to me that this occasion demanded that my testimony about the effects of the disease and the urgency we as a community were feeling be seen as well as heard. For people who had never observed me in this kind of shape, the transformation must have been startling," as it was for me when I saw the commercial he was running in Missouri, because I had never seen him that way before, ever, and I got numerous e-mails from people saying he had said that he does this: goes off the medication to illustrate the ravages of the disease to people and so it's in his own book, that he admits doing this.

  3. #3
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    1,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I listen to Rush whenever I can, which is usually every day. I heard what he said about Fox and the articles I'm reading today on what he said simply are not telling the full story.

    Fox has admitted that he stopped taking his meds a few years back before he testified before congress (so the effects of his disease would be more pronounced) so Rush after seeing the commercial (which I consider shameful as if some people don't want to cure certain diseases) Rush said that maybe Fox didn't take his meds before doing that commercial and then said or maybe he's acting.


    That article is so B.S. Rush never accuses Fox of faking a disease. That is a false statement


    here is what Rush said


    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/dai...ght.guest.html

    They bring forth people who they think are victims for the purposes of exploiting them, and when you bring forth -- for example, if you're talking about embryonic stem cell research, and you want to convey the notion that the Republicans are opposed to it, and in effect they're for people having Parkinson's Disease. Make no mistake that's what the intent is.

    Then you bring forth a person who's suffering the disease, and you illustrate the disease and the ravages and the suffering on TV to create sympathy and infallibility, because you're not supposed to be able to attack somebody or criticize somebody in any way or in any regard if they suffer from the disease. It's considered cold-hearted and cruel. What's happening here is that Michael Fox has entered the political arena with his attack, which includes false information about Senator Talent and Michael Steele in Maryland. That's fair game, and I am not going to follow the script that says we're not allowed to comment on the things said by participants, "victims," what have you, that the Democrats put forth as infallible in the middle of a political campaign.

    Now, in terms of Michael J. Fox, I did some research today, and I found his book that was published. It's "Lucky Man," 2002, but he admits in the book that before Senate subcommittee on appropriations I think in 1999, September of 1999, he did not take his medication for the purposes of having the ravages and the horrors of Parkinson's disease illustrated, which was what he has done in the commercials that are running for Claire McCaskill and Jim Talent. So when you insert yourself into the political arena this way, to expect insulation and absolution and to expect yourself not to have what you say criticized in the manner in which you're trying to sway opinion is a little bit I think above the fray. I mean, to think that you're immune from any sort of criticism, it's worked in the past for Democrats, but it doesn't work here.

    RUSH: All right, people are asking for the cite, that's c-i-t-e. This would be Michael J. Fox, an excerpt from his book "Lucky Man" June 1, 2002. Here is what he writes regarding his appearance before a Senate appropriations subcommittee hearing in Washington on September 28th, 1999: "I had made a deliberate choice to appear before the subcommittee without medication. It seemed to me that this occasion demanded that my testimony about the effects of the disease and the urgency we as a community were feeling be seen as well as heard. For people who had never observed me in this kind of shape, the transformation must have been startling," as it was for me when I saw the commercial he was running in Missouri, because I had never seen him that way before, ever, and I got numerous e-mails from people saying he had said that he does this: goes off the medication to illustrate the ravages of the disease to people and so it's in his own book, that he admits doing this.

    That is very interesting considering that when told about the comments Fox himself alludes that the pills he is taking are working really well.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408508/

    "Fox was campaigning yesterday for Tammy Duckworth, a congressional candidate, outside Chicago, when he alluded to Limbaugh's remarks. "It's ironic, given some of the things that have been said in the last couple of days, that my pills are working really well right now," he said, according to a report on the CBS2 Web site."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    I'd like Rush to c-i-t-e the proof he has that Michael J. Fox didn't take his medication for this commercial, first off.

    Then, once we've got that out of the way, we have to ask ourselves something. If the whole point is showing people how bad the disease is, why would you use a bunch of medication to suppress the side effects? The whole point is to say that with stem cell research, they might find a cure. Without it, I'm dying, and here's what it looks like.

    If the pills treated the problem, not the symptoms, I'd be upset about it. But showing the truth isn't a problem for me, and, for that matter, I don't see anywhere in that that Rush Limbaugh has any proof that Fox is faking it

  5. #5
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like Rush to c-i-t-e the proof he has that Michael J. Fox didn't take his medication for this commercial, first off.

    Then, once we've got that out of the way, we have to ask ourselves something. If the whole point is showing people how bad the disease is, why would you use a bunch of medication to suppress the side effects? The whole point is to say that with stem cell research, they might find a cure. Without it, I'm dying, and here's what it looks like.

    If the pills treated the problem, not the symptoms, I'd be upset about it. But showing the truth isn't a problem for me, and, for that matter, I don't see anywhere in that that Rush Limbaugh has any proof that Fox is faking it
    Ditto!

    Hehe, get it. Se Rush has ditto-heads and..uh...nevermind.

    UB, I would be shocked if you DIDN'T say you listened to Rush everyday, lol.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    I've been amazed that anyone would take anything Rush says seriously.

    He's a political entertainer.

    This should really be a fun couple of weeks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  7. #7
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,203
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    I think Rush could burn down an orphanage while pissing on an American Flag and his listeners would find a way to defend him.

  8. #8
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,920

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Fox: I Was Over-Medicated In Stem Cell Ad

    (CBS/AP) Responding to criticism by conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh, actor Michael J. Fox defended his appearance in a political campaign ad, saying he wasn't acting or off his medication.

    In fact, at the time he was over-medicated for his Parkinson's disease, Fox said Thursday in an exclusive interview with CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric.


    "The irony is that I was too medicated. I was dyskinesic," Fox told Couric. "Because the thing about … being symptomatic is that it's not comfortable. No one wants to be symptomatic; it's like being hit with a hammer."


    His body visibly wracked by tremors, Fox appears in a political ad touting Missouri Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill's stance in favor of embryonic stem cell research. That prompted Limbaugh to speculate that Fox was "either off his medication or acting."

    Fox told Couric, "At this point now, if I didn't take medication I wouldn't be able to speak."

    He said he appeared in the ad only to advance his cause, and that "disease is a non-partisan problem that requires a bipartisan solution."

    "I don't really care about politics," Fox added. "We want to appeal to voters to elect the people that are going to give us a margin, so we can't be vetoed again."

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2128188.shtml
    =============

    So he took too much of his meds and did the commercial anyway? Something doesn't smell right here. Limbaugh seems a lot more right than wrong on this issue.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. #9
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,203
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So he took too much of his meds and did the commercial anyway? Something doesn't smell right here. Limbaugh seems a lot more right than wrong on this issue.

    -Bball
    Spoken like someone who has NO idea what dyskinesic means. Basically, it's caused by long term use of the medications that treat Parkinson's and other disorders. So it's a side effect, not an overdose. What was that I was saying about people defending Rush again...

  10. #10
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,920

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spoken like someone who has NO idea what dyskinesic means. Basically, it's caused by long term use of the medications that treat Parkinson's and other disorders. So it's a side effect, not an overdose. What was that I was saying about people defending Rush again...
    It's a fact he can appear in a much more stable state. We've seen it. He's been on TV recently. He didn't have to appear in that state.... unless he wanted to.

    And MJF himself said he was "too medicated". He didn't say it was because it's a side effect of the long term usage so you are building your case around what was not said.

    If MJF always appeared this way then you might have a point, but he doesn't. His meds still keep the symptoms under control to some degree so therefore he allowed himself to be filmed in this state for some reason. And wasn't that Rush's point? Feel free to list the possibilities that exist for that reason.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #11

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a fact he can appear in a much more stable state. We've seen it. He's been on TV recently. He didn't have to appear in that state.... unless he wanted to.

    And MJF himself said he was "too medicated". He didn't say it was because it's a side effect of the long term usage so you are building your case around what was not said.

    If MJF always appeared this way then you might have a point, but he doesn't. His meds still keep the symptoms under control to some degree so therefore he allowed himself to be filmed in this state for some reason. And wasn't that Rush's point? Feel free to list the possibilities that exist for that reason.

    -Bball
    No, Rush's point was that he was faking or not on his meds.

    That's been proven false.

    Just another case of Rush opening his mouth and inserting his foot.

  12. #12
    Member Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Age
    32
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Michael J. Fox Ad: Parkinson's Debate
    "Unfortunately, medications often may not work that well, especially as the disease progresses."

    Glossary of Parkinson's Disease Terms
    "Dyskinesia: Abnormal muscle movements. May appear as a side effect of long-term drug treatment in Parkinson's and may worsen in response to stress."
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

  13. #13
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Rush's point was that he was faking or not on his meds.

    That's been proven false.

    Just another case of Rush opening his mouth and inserting his foot.
    No, Rush's point was that the ad was misleading and false and that has been proven to be true. The part about Fox was only about 5% of Rush's comments on the issue. Rush's points are that the ad is misleading and false and that the democrats use victims as political tools.

  14. #14
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Both parties have for the longest time used victims of disease and tragedy as political tools. It's beyond me why it should be news to anyone or that the dems would have any sort of monopoly on it.

  15. #15
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Is it really beyond you? What isn't treated as though it was the exclusive action of one side or the other when their opponent speaks politically?

  16. #16
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it really beyond you? What isn't treated as though it was the exclusive action of one side or the other when their opponent speaks politically?
    I do believe we're in agreement here.

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,949

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    [dips toe into Politics board]

    As an addendum to this, just thought I'd share that I saw on Brit tonight that Fox did one of these commercials against Michael Steele in Maryland. They responded with a commercial of a female doctor refuting his charges, saying that Steele supports stem cell research and supports those with disease. She then says, "I know, because I'm Michael Steele's little sister. I have MS, and he supports me." It's a powerful ad, and IMHO makes Fox look really bad.

    [runs away from political board]
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [dips toe into Politics board]

    As an addendum to this, just thought I'd share that I saw on Brit tonight that Fox did one of these commercials against Michael Steele in Maryland. They responded with a commercial of a female doctor refuting his charges, saying that Steele supports stem cell research and supports those with disease. She then says, "I know, because I'm Michael Steele's little sister. I have MS, and he supports me." It's a powerful ad, and IMHO makes Fox look really bad.

    [runs away from political board]

    OK, who's using Kegboy computer - I know he never stops in here. He knows all of us are wackos

  19. #19
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Rush's point was that the ad was misleading and false and that has been proven to be true. The part about Fox was only about 5% of Rush's comments on the issue. Rush's points are that the ad is misleading and false and that the democrats use victims as political tools.
    A false and misleading political ad? No. They NEVER happen.








    (Grace goes running and screaming from the political board. )

  20. #20

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Rush's point was that the ad was misleading and false and that has been proven to be true. The part about Fox was only about 5% of Rush's comments on the issue. Rush's points are that the ad is misleading and false and that the democrats use victims as political tools.
    I don't care about Rush's comments concerning the other 95% of what was said. He's a blowhard idiot who regularly says stupid, controversial things for the sole intent of free publicity. Last time I believe it was Donovan McNabb. This time it's Michael J. Fox.

    He had no proof for anything he said, and Mr. Fox refuted everthing he said during his diatribe. Really, it hurts me to think people listen to far left or far right idealogues and actually nod their heads in agreement.

    I disagree with a lot of stuff Bill O'Reilly says, as he leans conservative and I lean liberal, but at least he makes an attempt to keep it fair and balanced. So far, he's really the only guy on the air who I find both entertaining, and actually worth listening to.

  21. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Fox admitted on ABC Sunday morning that he had not read the Missouri Bill that he was campaigning for.

    Einder, I enjoy Rush's show - I'm sorry, but I do. And yes I do happen to agree with him on most issues, really I should say that he agrees with me.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fox admitted on ABC Sunday morning that he had not read the Missouri Bill that he was campaigning for.

    Einder, I enjoy Rush's show - I'm sorry, but I do. And yes I do happen to agree with him on most issues, really I should say that he agrees with me.
    Wait a minute, UB. Have you actually seen this commercial? If you have, look one more time, please. What is so terrible about this commercial that it was worth Rush trashing Fox the way he did?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WB_PXjTBo

    After watching the ad, tell me why you even bother with mentioning that Michael Fox had not read the Missouri referendum question about stem cell research?

    The ad Fox did in Missouri was an ad supporting Claire McCaskill for the US Senate. Nothing more, nothing less. The ad does not mention the Missouri referendum issue in any way.

    Talented as he is, Rush Limbaugh is a hypocrite and character assassin. There are plenty more like him at both ends of the wacked out political world. It's no wonder the country is so misinformed and screwed up.

  23. #23
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,708

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a minute, UB. Have you actually seen this commercial? If you have, look one more time, please. What is so terrible about this commercial that it was worth Rush trashing Fox the way he did?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WB_PXjTBo

    After watching the ad, tell me why you even bother with mentioning that Michael Fox had not read the Missouri referendum question about stem cell research?

    The ad Fox did in Missouri was an ad supporting Claire McCaskill for the US Senate. Nothing more, nothing less. The ad does not mention the Missouri referendum issue in any way.

    Talented as he is, Rush Limbaugh is a hypocrite and character assassin. There are plenty more like him at both ends of the wacked out political world. It's no wonder the country is so misinformed and screwed up.


    It is my understanding that the Fox ad also ran in other states, and I think Fox said on Sunday ABC's Sunday morning show) that he was campaigning for the issue of stem cell research and that he isn't a democrat or republican.

  24. #24
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    1,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

    Indeed Fox also supported Ben Cardin in Maryland, and was supporting someone in Illinois for their stances on Stem Cell research. In 2004 Fox also campaigned for Arlen Spector, a Republican on the stem cell research (though the phrase Biomedical research was used instead) and Limbaugh never ridiculed him for that ad. If you ask me it isn't a matter of supporting anyone pary for Fox, but supporting the people who support an issue he deeply cares about.

    On that note there is an interesting fact. In that same interview on ABC ( I also saw it) Fox mentions that the reason he is campaigning for Senatorial, and potential house members who support stem cell research is becuase Bush used the one and only veto of his administration on a Stem Cell bill that was passed with Bipartisan support. Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy voted for the same bill.

    So when it comes down to all Fox is doing is supporting an issue and candidates who represent his view. This time around they just happen to be Democrats. If Rush has a problem with that, then that is his choice. However, to politicize the issue by saying he is being used by the democrats is nothing but partisan rhetoric. Bottomline: by mocking Fox he was doing his part to get republicans/conservatives to the polls by politicizing a wedge issue. I guess we will see if that happens next Tuesday.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •