Thread: Doc Rivers hired as Celtics coach

Default Doc Rivers hired as Celtics coach

that was fast!

He seemed to be a good coach until the wheels suddenly fell off in Orlando.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...vers_as_coach/

Celtics to hire Rivers as coach
    By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | April 28, 2004
    Doc Rivers will be the next head coach of the Celtics.

Team sources and a source close to Rivers confirmed that the former NBA coach of the year would replace John Carroll as head coach and that it was only a matter of finishing paperwork before the hiring becomes official. A press conference to announce the hiring will take place Thursday.

Rivers, who was fired by the Orlando Magic in November after the team got off to a 1-10 start, had coached the Magic for four full seasons and made the playoffs three times, advancing to the second round once. He was the NBA's coach of the year in 2000 after guiding the Magic to a 41-41 record in his first season as coach.

He played for five NBA teams in his 12-year career: Atlanta, the Clippers, New York and San Antonio.

Carroll, who replaced Celtics coach Jim O'Brien after O'Brien resigned in January, was let go by the team on Monday.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Doc Rivers hired as Celtics coach

Good hire IMO.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Zesty

He played for five NBA teams in his 12-year career: Atlanta, the Clippers, New York and San Antonio.
    I laughed out loud when I read that.

When did his Magic get out of the first round? 2000? at who's expense?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

wasn't it the sixers ?

wasn't it the sixers ?
    No, because in 2000 we beat Philly in the 2nd round. And the Magic didn't make it out of the first round in 2001, 2002, or 2003.

Mood

Then it was New York

grrrr time to google it

Then it was New York
    Again, not in 2000. We beat NY in the ECF that year.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't remember him getting that team out of the first round ever. But I've slept since then.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Nope I just checked they never have

I don't remember him getting that team out of the first round ever. But I've slept since then.
    Same here. I'm thinking maybe that report thinks they got their as much as T-Mac did last year.

that was wrong.

They've never won a playoff series under Rivers.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2002/s/history_orl.html
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo

I think they know they wont be good for a few years and they think Doc can keep the heat off for one or two years.

Didn't they beat Detroit once? Hill got hurt in that series for the Pistons and the Magic still went ahead and made the deal in the offseason.

Mood

1999-00
    Coaching:
    Doc Rivers 41 - 41
    No Playoffs

2000-01
    Coaching:
    Doc Rivers 43 - 39 (playoffs:1 - 3) Lost to Bucks

2001-02
    Coaching:
    Doc Rivers 44 - 38 (playoffs:1 - 3) Lost to Char Hornets

2002-03
    Coaching:
    Doc Rivers 42 - 40 (playoffs:3 - 4)Lost to Detriot

Didn't they beat Detroit once? Hill got hurt in that series for the Pistons and the Magic still went ahead and made the deal in the offseason.
    I think that was Detroit and Miami.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Y'all know I'm not a big supporter of Isiah Thomas' coaching, but I really don't think Doc is much better than Zeke.

I may be in the minority on that point, but I think Doc would be better off staying on TV forever (he's pretty good although its hard to tell when he has to work with Al Michaels) or spending some time as somebody else's assistant before he's a head coach again.

Having a good relationship with the players is a very, very small part of the job that receives more attention than it deserves. Not that it isn't important, but this is 'coaching', so things like x's and o's, strategy, rotations, practice, gameplans, etc. are more important. It's more than just the ability to diagram a play, I can do that for crying out loud, but I don't claim to be 'coaching material'. Its evaluating your team's strengths and weaknesses, and the opponents strenghths and weaknesses, developing a scheme to beat them, and preparing the players to do it.

The hardest parts are the last two, and Doc hasn't shown me much of anything there.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I don't for the life of me know why Doc took that job.

It is a horrible job right now. Would you want to coach Ricky Davis?

Would you want Ainge to be your boss?

here read this article
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._great_escape/

For Carroll, leaving Celtics is great escape
    By Peter May, Globe Staff | April 28, 2004

John Carroll may not realize it now, because he is, as politicians like to say, "between jobs." But he is really the fortunate one in all this. He handled an impossible situation as well as he could, managed to maintain his dignity in the face of player insurrection and management meddling, and now doesn't have to deal with the mess that has become the Boston Celtics.

And what a fine mess it is. Did you happen to get a look at those TV ratings for Games 3 and 4 against Indiana? More people watched the Penn Relays than either Celtics game, the Friday night game registering a pathetic 0.6 (although it was simulcast on ESPN). More people watched the pre-race show for the Aaron's 499, whatever that is.

And for the first time in more than a quarter century, the Celtics did not sell out a home playoff game. In fact, the attendance numbers for both games were somewhat misleading because season ticket-holders who anted up for next year by a certain date were given additional freebies to the playoffs.

We haven't even touched on the mess on the court, which includes handling "a lot of agendas" as Carroll noted yesterday in an interview. Among the known agendas: Ricky Davis complained about not getting enough shots even as he deliberately missed a mandatory team dinner in Miami the night before a big game with the Heat. And that was before he complained about Carroll not calling his number enough prior to the Game 4 mercy killing at the FleetCenter. Marcus Banks, a rookie, complained about not getting enough minutes during the playoffs. Chucky Atkins called his teammates "soft," Paul Pierce called for more "intestinal fortitude" and Mark Blount was like the Count of Monte Cristo, crossing off the days until his freedom.

That's what we know. And all on a 36-win team that had no right being in the postseason, but happened to land there even as the know-it-alls above Carroll wanted him to play the kids and make the playoffs at the same time.

I don't think the Celtics were worse off even in the mid-1990s. At least back then, there was some discernible interest in the team. There's none, now. Zero. There'd be more interest in a lockout. You have players feuding, players' insubordination, a papered house for the playoffs, owners wondering why there aren't more dunks for Davis, and Danny Ainge actually saying he didn't decide to release/fire/remove Carroll until Monday morning.

Asked yesterday if he wanted to continue coaching the Celtics, Carroll said "yes." My guess is that if his answer could have been scripted in subtitles, it would have been, `Are you [expletive] kidding me?' Ainge's hire had better be ultra-prepared for what lies ahead. My suggestion would be to call Jim O'Brien and Carroll before signing on the dotted line. Continued...

It was Ainge's first good move and Doc's worst career move.

How can coach who is on the short list for almost any job openings think that Ainge's plan is the best out there or even a competent one?

I guess the plus side is that with management committed to a lottery bound team there will be little pressure to win. I think Danny would be estatic with a 20 game win season.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

So, does this mean he's not doing TV for the rest of the year?

First off, great move for the Celtics. They need someone who can manage personalities, and get alot out of a little. He should do both.

Second off, why in the hell did he take this job???! My sister mentioned maybe Doc going to Boston a couple days ago, and I said, "No way. He's gonna want to go someplace where he has some power. He won't have that with Ainge." What happened to Atlanta? What happened to Dallas? Hell, I'd rather do TV another year than take that job.

Speaking of Atlanta, what's the deal? The season's over, the ownership is final, are they ever gonna get a new coach? Are they waiting for somebody still coaching, or are they *gasp* gonna keep Stotts?

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

So, does this mean he's not doing TV for the rest of the year?

First off, great move for the Celtics. They need someone who can manage personalities, and get alot out of a little. He should do both.

Second off, why in the hell did he take this job???! My sister mentioned maybe Doc going to Boston a couple days ago, and I said, "No way. He's gonna want to go someplace where he has some power. He won't have that with Ainge." What happened to Atlanta? What happened to Dallas? Hell, I'd rather do TV another year than take that job.

Speaking of Atlanta, what's the deal? The season's over, the ownership is final, are they ever gonna get a new coach? Are they waiting for somebody still coaching, or are they *gasp* gonna keep Stotts?

I have not heard if he is doing TV or not. If he isn't, that will mean Bill Walton more than likely is back as the number 1 guy. I would guess that Docv will continue doing TV,. Right now he is only doing one game a week until the ECF.

I think the Hawks are completely dormant.

...Bill Walton...
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

...Bill Walton...
    No, its more like ed: : :censor:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Y'all know I'm not a big supporter of Isiah Thomas' coaching, but I really don't think Doc is much better than Zeke.

I may be in the minority on that point, but I think Doc would be better off staying on TV forever (he's pretty good although its hard to tell when he has to work with Al Michaels) or spending some time as somebody else's assistant before he's a head coach again.

Having a good relationship with the players is a very, very small part of the job that receives more attention than it deserves. Not that it isn't important, but this is 'coaching', so things like x's and o's, strategy, rotations, practice, gameplans, etc. are more important. It's more than just the ability to diagram a play, I can do that for crying out loud, but I don't claim to be 'coaching material'. Its evaluating your team's strengths and weaknesses, and the opponents strenghths and weaknesses, developing a scheme to beat them, and preparing the players to do it.

The hardest parts are the last two, and Doc hasn't shown me much of anything there.
    i have no opinion of doc, but i've seen magic fans say exactly that - good relations with players, not good with strategy/tactics. almost zeke-like in fact.

maybe that's what the celtics need, a coach to coddle and play the young 'uns until they grow up. then when the time is ripe, danny can fire doc and coach the team himself