Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have read & understood the updated draft info

14 73.68%
  • I have read & understood the updated draft info

5 26.32%

Thread: ABA Draft Question - PLEASE VOTE

Default ABA Draft Question - PLEASE VOTE

Heres the plan for the remainder of the draft.

1. We will continue with the 24 hour draft clock until noon, Indianapolis time, Saturday October 28th. During this time I would hope people could either check in when they have a selection coming up, or PM me a list long enough to cover their pick.

2. As of noon on the 28th we will change to a 10 minute draft clock. The draft will be completed by the afternoon of the 28th. If you're not able to be on line for the completion of the draft then please PM me a list of players long enough to finish the draft. If you're not online & I don't have a list, you will be skipped after 10 minutes!

3. I need to know who has & who has not read this, so please vote.

This should also be posted on the league site as well as e-mailed to everyone.

Thanks for your efforts in getting thru the draft.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: ABA Draft Question - PLEASE VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heres the plan for the remainder of the draft.

1. We will continue with the 24 hour draft clock until noon, Indianapolis time, Saturday October 28th. During this time I would hope people could either check in when they have a selection coming up, or PM me a list long enough to cover their pick.

2. As of noon on the 28th we will change to a 10 minute draft clock. The draft will be completed by the afternoon of the 28th. If you're not able to be on line for the completion of the draft then please PM me a list of players long enough to finish the draft. If you're not online & I don't have a list, you will be skipped after 10 minutes!

3. I need to know who has & who has not read this, so please vote.

This should also be posted on the league site as well as e-mailed to everyone.

Thanks for your efforts in getting thru the draft.
    Proposal. Wouldn't it be better to change this from saturday to sunday? That would give us an extra 24 hour where some people can pick and saturday for most people here is the day in the weekend that's the busiest. I don't know how that's in the states, offcourse.

Anyway moving from saturday to sunday would be a major improvement for me. IF that's not possible then maybe later like 18:00 or 19:00 PM Indytime?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This could be a big problem for me. I'll be out of town most of Saturday and have to work until 5:00 on Sunday. If we still have 8+ rounds to fill (which looks like it may be the case), I see no way to throw together a contingency list that large that fast.

Why not just go to a one-hour clock now? Would force people to check in at least once a day before Sunday, and if you fall asleep at the wheel and don't check in for 24 hours or send Jose a list, then you fall 24 places.

We'd prolly have to take nights off and our Euro friends would obviously be at a little bit of a disadvantage, but I think sending 20 player long contingency lists would be an option.

I dunno...throwing it out there.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Why not just go to a one-hour clock now? Would force people to check in at least once a day before Sunday, and if you fall asleep at the wheel and don't check in for 24 hours or send Jose a list, then you fall 24 places.

We'd prolly have to take nights off and our Euro friends would obviously be at a little bit of a disadvantage, but I think sending 20 player long contingency lists would be an option.

I dunno...throwing it out there.
    Sleep and work make that pretty much impossible. I have to work 7 hours tomorrow.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I also have to work on saturday now, where I was not scheduled to work, when this poll was first posted.

It would also really help me if the time when the draft clock switches to 10 minutes could be pushed to saturday night, or sunday.

I only have a short que, and I honestly don't have time to construct a contingency list for 10+ roster spots by friday night.

I know the season starts next week, and everyone would like to get the draft overwith, but I'm just not able to do a saturday 10 minute clock, if it starts at noon. Saturday night, or sunday, I can do.

Any possible accomodations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm not volunteering this for everyone, but I have made arrangements with lifeisgood that I would make "best guess" picks for him based on his team's position needs should he be unavailable when his picks come up on Saturday.

You don't have to have a list 300 names long, you just have to have someone you trust get the *type* of players you want. Of course, you'll need someone you trust to do it with fairness and honesty.

Another option is to put your picks on "best available" and have NBA.com pick for you.

With the waiver system and trades, you can still have a competitive team, especially if you have the first 4-5 picks or so locked up before the lightning round.

Another suggestion: can we please end the draft at a round number (say the end of the 4th), and then resume the draft at the beginning of a round on Saturday? I'd just like to be able to somewhat plan my picks in advance.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I would prefer to knock out the first five round before going to the "lightning round." I typically try to draft my starters with the first five picks. Not always, but typically.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Another option is to put your picks on "best available" and have NBA.com pick for you.

Another suggestion: can we please end the draft at a round number (say the end of the 4th), and then resume the draft at the beginning of a round on Saturday? I'd just like to be able to somewhat plan my picks in advance.
    Some good ideas LA.

While I can sympathize with the time factor being a problem for some and I myself usually work 13 hours a day, so I understand.

The fact of the matter is though, this weekend is all we have. If we extend the time frame through Monday or Tuesday during the work week it will only be worse as far as availalbilty.

So I'm not sure what other options are left at this point, given the circumstances. Being the weekend Saturday and or Sunday may pose problems for some , I have come into to catch up on work this Sunday evening but we are going to have to bite the bullet at some point, to wrap this up.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I would prefer to knock out the first five round before going to the "lightning round." I typically try to draft my starters with the first five picks. Not always, but typically.
    I see what you're saying, but we have 8 starters and minutes don't count for anything really.

I don't think there's any way to make it 5 rounds before the season starts using this method. And I think my saying round 4 was overly hopeful.

We'll be lucky to get through the 3rd round before Saturday at this rate.

Ending the snail rounds after three is the most realistic situation.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Ending the snail rounds after three is the most realistic situation.
    So it would moisturize your situation, preserve your sexy and let you go off to do what you need to do?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    So it would moisturize your situation, preserve your sexy and let you go off to do what you need to do?

I see two solutions.

1. People PM me a list long enough to cover their next pick. This is something that I have been trying to get people to do since the start of this draft, 5 freakin days ago.

Would it have worked? yes

Could it work now? doubtful

Now all this! 4 days after I tell everyone that we would have to complete the draft on Saturday.

Well if some of you guys had stepped up a little we wouldn't be where we are now. So, the season starts Tuesday, giving us 4 days to complete a draft that is on pace to last more than a month. Some guys can't make it Saturday, some can't make it Sunday. Well someone needs to tell me how to do this so that 23 people from around the globe with 23 different lives & schedules can get together & get this done.

Clue: Its not ****ing possible!

I've wasted far too much of my time on this this.

2. Someone step up to take over the league or there will be no league!

I think everyone who can't make it needs to ask someone who can make it to make their picks for them, and we end it on Saturday, getting as much done between now and Saturday as we can on the current schedule. Saturday morning we go to a lightening round (10-15 minutes per pick).

My suggestion would be to finish this round and then move the draft to the NBA.com board Sunday so that the remaining players can be auto picked if needed. That would give the commish. Time to remove the players already taken from the list on the site and allow everyone to order their players on the site as well. Not perfect, but it is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    My suggestion would be to finish this round and then move the draft to the NBA.com board Sunday so that the remaining players can be auto picked if needed. That would give the commish. Time to remove the players already taken from the list on the site and allow everyone to order their players on the site as well. Not perfect, but it is an option.
    I'm with you on this, except I would just stop this draft now and let Jose get these picks in the system. Less stuff to input for him. I'm not sure how the commish stuff works, but I guess it can be switched from offline to a list draft? Maybe put in the picks already made as keepers?

Once the picks already made are put in, switch it over to a list-based draft and give everybody through Sunday night to get their lists in order and have the draft run Monday morning?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

No way will everyone be able to make it for either any time on Saturday or Sunday.

So I say, Jose, make a quick poll tomorrow morning and pick two times...I suggest 12:00 noon Saturday or 12:00 noon Sunday. Whichever gets the most votes by the end of the day tomorrow becomes the time we start the "lightning round" with 5 minutes per pick (10 seems needlessly long). We finish Round 3 before that time as we have been, and Pick #1 of Round 4 will commence at the voted-upon time. If you can't make it, send Jose or Ken a list of as many "pre-ranked hopefuls" as you can. Those who can make it there will pick. Those not there will get the top guy on their list, or once their list is exhausted, they will get the top player available by NBA rankings. (Or designate Los Angeles or another 'confidant' to select for you).

I think this is the only way to get it done this weekend. It sucks for those who can't make the chosen time, of course. But you'll likely get 5 players you kind of want at least for a solid base, and have to work from there from NBA.com's auto rankings.

My idea anyway.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    That would be perfect!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    1. People PM me a list long enough to cover their next pick. This is something that I have been trying to get people to do since the start of this draft, 5 freakin days ago.
    Everyone needs to be convinced of the above (via PM). As much as I hate making lists, I don't see why making a list of 10 players is out of the realm of possibilities for anyone. Like Frank said, we're just going to have to bite through this. And to be able to do that, put a little more effort into it.

To go along with that principle, I would suggest a draft clock of 8 hours. That seems enough to cover for unfortunate situations and also not too long at the same time. If everyone cooperates, we should be done within a week. Does it really matter that we miss the beginning of the season?

Again, when you see that you're up next within 10 picks or so, and you know you can't be online, just make a list. (I plead guilty as well)

These are my thoughts on the situation. Anything else is fine with me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think everyone who can't make it needs to ask someone who can make it to make their picks for them, and we end it on Saturday, getting as much done between now and Saturday as we can on the current schedule. Saturday morning we go to a lightening round (10-15 minutes per pick).
    If I become commissioner this evening, this is what I'm going to do.

If I don't hear from everyone concerning their "draft helper", I'm going to do it myself (I spent far too much time yesterday making a giant contingency list, I can do a pretty good job of it).

IMO you're better off just getting your lists to whoever the commish is.

During the draft, at the bottom of the page the commiss has a button, "Draft for this owner" while anyone else will need the other owner's username and password and have to login and out. He can even stop the draft while he makes the pick.

If there are too many for the commish to handle (I had 5 in the KL and once I figured it out that was OK) you could designate a 2nd commish for the draft. Much easier to do it that way IMO rather than logging in and out.

Edit: There's also an option on the draft settings; "Missed picks before auto-pick." Basically, you can decide how often to let an owner go to his time limit before the site picks from a list of NBA players without waiting the full time.

This is NOT the same as selecting from a contingency list - or on this site a draft queue. Those are manually selected by the owner. And if it's set up and the owner has activated it, picks are made immediately.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

That's a good idea about sending it to the commish instead of "helpers". I think what will happen is if you can give me even a short list of players you want, I'll see what I can do and then do my best to give you a good team after that.