Thread: Odd thoughts on Colts vs. 'Skins (with apologies to Peck for stealing his title)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Odd thoughts on Colts vs. 'Skins (with apologies to Peck for stealing his title)

This has been discussed before, but, it's only more obvious now. I don't care who was missing for the Skins yesterday, they have a respectable defense, and our rookie RB carried 11 times for 85 yards. Nearly 8 yd/carry!

While on the other hand, Dominic Rhodes carried 13 times for 26 yards. I'm not a math major, but I ain't no fool either.

Isn't it blatantly clear that Addai needs to start, and be THE running back, while Rhodes plays the same role he did with Edge? We have the answer to our problem at RB, but he's not being used enough.

Manning and the passing game looks great. As if Harrison's 2 TDs and Wayne's 120 yards wasn't enough, we've got guys like Clark and Utecht ready and waiting to catch balls in the middle of the field. With Stokely still on the bench! And, I don't know if you all caught this, but we split Darrel Reid out as a WR on the goalline! He's a D-lineman! Also, we tried a fake-handoff-fake-end-around-bomb yesterday. Peyton missed long, but just seeing that attempted was fun for me. The only thing that needs any work here is pass protection, but Peyton is usually good at getting rid of the ball quickly--and now he can scramble with effectiveness!

The D looked so much better yesterday. The final score, allowing 22 points, wasn't indicitive of the way they played I think. The last TD was garbage, so, it should be read 14 (they got a 2-pt conversion for kicks) instead. The run D was vastly improved with the addition of Booger, and our LBs were freed to make plays. We finally got some decent pressure on the QB, sacking Brunell 2 or 3 times, and beating the crap out of him otherwise. I think half the team limped off the field at some points as well. Brackett and June played great yesterday, as did the DBs--coming on blitzes (Jackson) and making some big hits (David). I'm happy with the D now, and getting Sanders back can really make us scary again.

Once again, we had special teams problems. It's great to have Vinatieri back and healthy, but our coverage has GOT to be better. We allowed another runback, this time on a punt, and those kinds of things can absolutely kill you. That has to be tied up in one way or another, before it gets us.

Overall, I've got to say I'm happy with the team. 6-0 is 6-0, no matter who you play or how you win, and that's where we sit. Entirely safe in the division (thanks Houston!), leading the AFC (thanks ATL!) and looking better than ever after the bye! Here's to the swift return of Bob Sanders and Monte Reagor and Brandon Stokely, and to 13 more wins!!!

GO COLTS!!!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Default Re: Odd thoughts on Colts vs. 'Skins (with apologies to Peck for stealing his title)

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This has been discussed before, but, it's only more obvious now. I don't care who was missing for the Skins yesterday, they have a respectable defense, and our rookie RB carried 11 times for 85 yards. Nearly 8 yd/carry!

While on the other hand, Dominic Rhodes carried 13 times for 26 yards. I'm not a math major, but I ain't no fool either.

Isn't it blatantly clear that Addai needs to start, and be THE running back, while Rhodes plays the same role he did with Edge? We have the answer to our problem at RB, but he's not being used enough.
    I don't know as I agree. Here are his rush attempts from LSU:

2005 - 187
    2004 - 101
    2003 - 114
    2002 - 80

So even his senior season he only carried about 15 times/game. Combine that with NFL players being bigger, stronger and hitting harder and I don't think 25 carries per game is right for him.

I'd expect him to get more carries than Rhodes eventually but I never expect to see him carry the ball every series this season - eventually maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

Next year that may change - or it may not.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd thoughts on Colts vs. 'Skins (with apologies to Peck for stealing his title)

He was never used as a dominate RB by LSU. They had very capable runners down there. Vincent ran over 100 rushes, and Carey ran almost 60.

They had 509rushes as a team, with 13 different players. That's quite a bit. Thats' the '05 season.

In '04 he wasn't the starting RB either, Boussard was. Again, they had 506rushing attempts, with 13 different players.

In '03 they had 569rushing attempts with 11 different players, 4of them with 75+ attempts.

Over his three year career, he had rushing average of 4.9. That's pretty damn good.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rhodes should be kept to give Joe some rest, of course. I don't know what the Edge : Dom ratio was, but anything similar would make me happy. Even if it's a little less.

I know though, that Joe got 11 carries and Dom got 13 carries yesterday, and that's what I'm talking about. Joe > Dom so Joe's carries should be > Dom's carries. Whether or not he takes the full load like Edge did, or like other feature backs makes little difference. I just never want to see Dom get more carries than Joe ever again.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

The Colts are trying to ease Addai into the system. We don't want to overuse him now. If what we're doing works, then keep doing it.

Using both of them, can keep them both fresh...
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Colts are trying to ease Addai into the system. We don't want to overuse him now. If what we're doing works, then keep doing it.

Using both of them, can keep them both fresh...
    I agree, and I think it is the right thing to do. I think 11 may be slightly too low a number, but I think it will continue to rise untill he's at about 16 a game. That's a good number for him this season, maybe next year we can get him to 20.

I love Addai, and Rhodes has been anything but great, but he's also been good for 3 or 4 very nice runs this season too.