Thread: DW Props thread

diego

Default DW Props thread

Ok. I have been sitting here lately thinking about how lucky i have been to have a home town team like the Pacers to cheer for and be fan of. When you like at the NBA, i think it sometimes gets lost how good of an NBA team we not only have, but have had since DW become GM.

So as his days as "lame duck GM" start to wind down i thought it would be good to start a thread highlighting his accompilshments with the team.

This link is one i found that lists all his draft picks as well as most of his trades, so instead of typing it all out, you can just look at it. I think the article shows what an impressive run he has had as a GM.

http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/gmpacers.htm

A few things that stand out to me about DW as a GM:

1. He has a tremendous ability to evaluate needs of current team and then find the right player to plug in to fill that need. Some examples would be Chris Mullin, Mark Jackson, Jalen Rose, Artest, B.Miller...meaning he is able to find that player that almost always works out and fills his void

2. His drafting after looking back over all his draft picks made me realize his eye for talent is superb. As you will see in the link, very few of his picks have been busts, and besides Haskin all have contributed in NBA.

3. His ability to rebuild after building a championship team. Even as many fans, media members, etc were criticizing him, he stood true to his vision and now has put together a team that won more games than any other Pacer team, is still young and could be dominate for a long time, and one that has a legit shot at a title, maybe multiple titles.

4. I love his willingness to develop players and the follow through even when the fans and everyone doubts, he stands true. Al, Bender, Freddie, Tinsley, Artest, JO, and thats just this team. From the past...Jalen, AD, Rik, DD, Reggie...all were considered reaches and projects and they all have acheived all star status at some point, besides Rose, but he was close when here.

5. DW has a great relationship with his players and coaches and always treats them with respect and dignity. It is evident by the way players and coaches speak of him even after he has fired or traded them.

6. Lastly and most important to me, DW wants to win and works tirelessly to put a winning team on the floor every night for us fans to support. Thsi is the epitomy of a good GM IMO..is one that wants to win and will take the steps to make it happen.

So anyways wanted to start a thread just looking back over his years. The link doesnt capture everything obviously but it sure highlights some good things and proves DW is one of if not the best GM in the NBA.

Thank you DW for giving us these last 17-18 years of Pacer basketball.

diego

Default Re: DW Props thread

I cant beleive nobody has anything to say about DW. Everyone must be in one of the 5 Popovich threads. ed:

Zesty

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. I think you're right in that some of us tend to take having a consistently good Pacers team to root for for granted. You look at a team like Philly that made the Finals the year after the Pacers and where the two teams are now. The Pacers haven't missed the playoffs since they made the Finals despite a major overhaul of the roster, whereas the 76ers weren't any good this year and don't seem like they'll be that much better next year without some major changes. "Big ups" to D-Dub, as the kids say.

If the Pacers get to the finals I'm gonna start a thread titled I WAS WRONG!!! and invite anyone else who feels like confessing to join in.

I disagreed with DW blowing the team up in the summer of 2000 because I felt that getting back to a finals-level team was so tough and that the current team hadn't necessarily reached its peak yet and should be tweaked - they had JUST broken through one major barrier and who's to say that the following year (when I think they'd have been in the finals again) they wouldn't have taken it one more step.

So if they make the finals again, within 4 years of my previous opinion, then yup - I was dead, 100% wrong.

I'm saving my DW props for then.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I give Donnie many kudos......

If I had a picture, I'd throw in some PGR2 kudos as well......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I first read this I thought you were using PROPS as a verb.

Donnie Props thread...giving us some credit for our fine efforts at warding off trolls and assasins, or something.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

'Bout time we see some threads like this. Donnie has been probably the best thing to happen to this franchise. We've made the playoffs, what, 14 out of the last 15 years? And without a bona fide superstar [Reggie is certainly fantastic, but he's not like MJ or Shaq in that he'll get your team great seeding all by himself].

The man's foresight is astounding. He really has shown an outstanding eye for talent, and an even better eye for smart trades and draft picks. Who really wanted him to draft Reggie back in the day? Who saw the Jax-for-Jalen-for-Jax-again deal coming, or the Strip-the-Bulls-of-virtually-their-entire-talent-base deal?

I don't know all the other teams' playoff attendence records, but I'm pretty sure even the mighty Lakers had a period of overall crapiness. And the Knicks and Celtics have been lousy for a while now, after their eras of excellence.

To build a title contender, then have it fall apart, and to save that team by infusing it with young talent which is now coming together into yet another title contender....

Amazing.

Thanks, Donnie!
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Zesty

If I had a picture, I'd throw in some PGR2 kudos as well......
    Here ya go:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I cant beleive nobody has anything to say about DW. Everyone must be in one of the 5 Popovich threads. ed:
    I started to reply earlier. But the article and your comments really said it all very well, there isn't much more to say.

EDIT - George McCloud *was* a bust, too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I hold DW is the highest regard. There is no one else I would rather run the Pacers. I could write a book about all the ways DW is the best in the business, but I don't have the time

I hold DW is the highest regard. There is no one else I would rather run the Pacers. I could write a book about all the ways DW is the best in the business, but I don't have the time
    I dunno - I'd have a hard time putting him ahead of Jerry West. You can argue pretty strong for him for #2.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

DW is number one in my book. People don't seem to give him the credit he deserves, the man is a genius. He knows his basketball.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I disagreed with DW blowing the team up in the summer of 2000 because I felt that getting back to a finals-level team was so tough and that the current team hadn't necessarily reached its peak yet and should be tweaked - they had JUST broken through one major barrier and who's to say that the following year (when I think they'd have been in the finals again) they wouldn't have taken it one more step.
    There is a group here that would agree with you about losing key contributors and losing a possible shot at the finals because of it. There is no doubt a very thin line between keeping a contending group together and "reloading on the fly".

My thoughts:

If you are going to reload for the future, you have to trade your talent before its gone. Antonio Davis was at his peak when he was traded. It was the only time in his career that he was worth a 5th pick in the draft. Whether the Pacers would have won in 2000 with him is debateble, but if Bender works out, Donnie secured one piece of the Pacers future.

After 2000, Dale Davis was coming off his lone all-star appearance and was on the wrong side of 30. Trading him may have been painful for most of us when it happened, but no one argues that it wasn't a great trade. Unlike Bender, O'Neal quickly made up for the loss of DD.

Jackson left of his own accord. Smits retired of his own accord. Perkins, McKey, Mullin were all at the end of their careers.

Its not like they blew up a team of young talents. The team was just too old to make a series of runs. The current team is set to make several runs though and now is the time when "Do-nothing Donnie" should uh, do nothing.

A couple more thoughts: Donnie's greatest strengths are his eye for talent and his patience. The patience can drive the fans nuts, but in addition to allowing the talent to develop, it allows him to trade from a position of strength. You know how when you play Monopoly, there is that one guy who will not trade with you? And then you keep offering him more and more, and then when its lopsided he takes your deal and you lose? That is DW.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i enjoyed the article very much, though of course as a pacer fan i'm already aware of the history

just add to what grant said, not only did walsh get a lot of trade value out of the aging davises, but he got max return value for jalen rose too. antonio davis actually did hit his peak with toronto, garnering an all-star with them, but jalen and dale just never seemed the same again after leaving the pacers.

and donnie has a long history of making seemingly unfathomable decisions which almost always seems to turn out well. he's turned into a legend, and that kind of reputation has a way of feeding itself, that's way a lot of fans are willing to give donnie huge latitude on all his decisions. (i believe on this board the term is "walsh warriors" or "sunshine brigade" haven't heard that charge recently )

hope bird can do only half as well. wonder if the next draft would be bird's pick or would walsh still have a lot of input. hmm...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A couple more thoughts: Donnie's greatest strengths are his eye for talent and his patience.
    I first read this that "... Donnie's greatest strengths are his eyes ..."

and thought, well, I suppose Peck and DougAdams and others would have trouble arguing with that ... :
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

hope bird can do only half as well. wonder if the next draft would be bird's pick or would walsh still have a lot of input. hmm...

Walsh will have imput, but it will be Bird's final decision, he's head of basketball operations for the Pacers.

Walsh will have imput, but it will be Bird's final decision, he's head of basketball operations for the Pacers.
    Um, no, it'll pretty much be done in tandem. That's the way they've been working pretty much most of the season with Donnie actually still doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to running and managing the organization.

Props to Donnie Walsh. Oh yeah, I said it.