Thread: Anyone watching Jericho?

Default Anyone watching Jericho?

Anyone else watching Jericho?

I'm really beginning to like that show.

And the ending the other night gave me chills.....Just imaginging if that was real.....

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone watching Jericho?

I like the show for moments like the end of this week's episode. ICMBs flying to who-knows-where in retaliation will certainly grab attention. However, I also hate the show for stupid episode plots and dimwitted characters. It's a weird love-hate thing, but I'm going to keep watching for now.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone catch the dates on the passports that Hawkins pulled up on Jake? Or on the petition for dissolution of marriage papers?

This show takes place in 2009.

I've finally caught up and watched all the episodes. Good show, some bad acting and stupid situations, but it is getting better.

I watched the first three weeks and what I'm about to say is just my opinion. If you like the show, great, I hope you continue to enjoy it. Everyone likes different shows.

I posted a few weeks ago that Jericho is the funniest show on TV after the Office, the problem with that of course is that it doesn't try to be funny. But the dialogue is so hokey, (cloyingly sentimental) is so overwrought, that I honestly laughed several times in each of the first two episodes, I thought maybe this is just a guilty pleasure type of show, you know the type that is so bad that you can't turn away. The speeches by the mayor were so sappy and cliche ridden, that I thought maybe the show might be trying to be funny.

But after week 3 it was evident that I just hate the show so I decided I want watch again.

I just picked up on this show with the reruns on Universal HD. I like the concept but the show needs to figure out if it wants to be a soap opera or not. It did seem to veer away from that somewhat heading into the final episodes so I'll be curious to see what they do with the new episodes that start tonight.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I watched it pretty closely for most of last year but missed the call-back and have pretty much given up on it. I'm with Stryder - the show has a pretty good premise but it's become way melodramatic - a futuristic apocalyptic soap. For a while I would have called it well written and poorly directed but now I'm just kind of tired of it - it reminds me of every post-nuke sci-fi I ever read when I was a kid.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tonight's episode seemed rushed and once again overly melodramatic.

I wonder if they are trying to get the show to an ending and that is why it was rushed? The cleanup of the cliffhanger from last season was pretty swift. Basically, they opened the show with the cliffhanger already finished and you just got a couple of flashbacks to show what had happened after the season finale ended.

They get either 7 or 8 episodes and no guarantees of more so they might be heading toward some type of a conclusion but leaving some story arc out there if they'd get a 3rd season. Which probably means the writing will suffer.

This show might have had the opposite problem of Lost... It could take it's time and go on and on because there is no real end game that has to be written in stone. Meanwhile, IMHO Lost is just filler after filler to get to it's end which has to be somewhat written in stone to actually make the whole thing make sense.

I read something somewhere that as the idea developed Jericho went from a movie to a series... and then someone decided they needed a more feminine appeal. That probably answers the reason for all the melodrama and soap opera angles that keep popping up.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tonight's episode seemed rushed and once again overly melodramatic.

I wonder if they are trying to get the show to an ending and that is why it was rushed? The cleanup of the cliffhanger from last season was pretty swift. Basically, they opened the show with the cliffhanger already finished and you just got a couple of flashbacks to show what had happened after the season finale ended.

They get either 7 or 8 episodes and no guarantees of more so they might be heading toward some type of a conclusion but leaving some story arc out there if they'd get a 3rd season. Which probably means the writing will suffer.

This show might have had the opposite problem of Lost... It could take it's time and go on and on because there is no real end game that has to be written in stone. Meanwhile, IMHO Lost is just filler after filler to get to it's end which has to be somewhat written in stone to actually make the whole thing make sense.

I read something somewhere that as the idea developed Jericho went from a movie to a series... and then someone decided they needed a more feminine appeal. That probably answers the reason for all the melodrama and soap opera angles that keep popping up.

-Bball
    Ah yes committee thinking. It doesn't work in the NBA and it doesn't work for T.V. either.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with most of your assessments. It is an average show that is about the only thing on. I like some of the characters. The black dude especially. The dialogue between the brothers last nights was poor and the commander of the Armed Forces was boring.

The farmer and IRS agent romance is over done, while the younger brothers hot girl is under used.

I heard all these complaints last year, so I didn't watch it. However, I gave it a chance when they repeated it over the summer and loved it.

I told my mom and sister that the pilot and next 3 episodes were on Sci-Fi Monday night and to give it a chance. My mom watched all 4 hours straight through and enjoyed it, and she watches cool stuff like Lost, 24, Alias, and Firefly. She actually compared it to Jeremiah, which I'd completely forgotten about. Grace tivo'd the episodes and I don't know if she's watched them or not. But she doesn't watch such things, so I'm not holding my breath.

As for last night's premiere, I read beforehand that they had to cut characters, rush the cliffhanger, and focus on action all thanks to the short order. I was leery, but still enjoyed last night.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I heard all these complaints last year, so I didn't watch it. However, I gave it a chance when they repeated it over the summer and loved it.

I told my mom and sister that the pilot and next 3 episodes were on Sci-Fi Monday night and to give it a chance. My mom watched all 4 hours straight through and enjoyed it, and she watches cool stuff like Lost, 24, Alias, and Firefly. She actually compared it to Jeremiah, which I'd completely forgotten about. Grace tivo'd the episodes and I don't know if she's watched them or not. But she doesn't watch such things, so I'm not holding my breath.

As for last night's premiere, I read beforehand that they had to cut characters, rush the cliffhanger, and focus on action all thanks to the short order. I was leery, but still enjoyed last night.
    Kegboy, I thought you had good taste in TV shows, now I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Kegboy, I thought you had good taste in TV shows, now I wonder?
    Eh, you don't like Michael Bay, so what do you know.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Eh, you don't like Michael Bay, so what do you know.
    Yes, but Jericho - really? oh well, I'm still someone who watches "the Apprendice" I didn't just post that did I

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, but Jericho - really? oh well, I'm still someone who watches "the Apprendice" I didn't just post that did I
    Admit it you don't like Jericho because you can't bet on it.

http://www.ultimatecapper.com/the-ap...ce-betting.htm

woman without a team

Grace tivo'd the episodes and I don't know if she's watched them or not. But she doesn't watch such things, so I'm not holding my breath.
    I watched the pilot and the first 3 episodes but when I went to watch the season premiere I decided there was too much in between that I didn't know so I went on line and started watching the episodes I haven't seen.

As for me not watching such things I'd say Jericho is a lot like Life and Day Break and I watched those.

UB, I've been watching Celebrity Apprentice. As far as I'm concerned they should just lock Pierce and Omerosa in a closet and let them eat each other alive. I think it's pretty sad that was the best group of women they could find. Or it's an indictment on the men that they had nothing better to do that be on Apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    UB, I've been watching Celebrity Apprentice. As far as I'm concerned they should just lock Pierce and Omerosa in a closet and let them eat each other alive. I think it's pretty sad that was the best group of women they could find. Or it's an indictment on the men that they had nothing better to do that be on Apprentice.
    Isn't it Piers and not Pierce. I enjoy that Trace Adkins usually says one thing per episode and yet it is usually an excellent slogan. But more than anything I miss Vinny

woman without a team

Isn't it Piers and not Pierce.
    Actually it's spelled j a c k a s s.

The only reason I'm watching is Trace. The rest of them are just weird.