Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

  1. #1
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,614

    Default QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_061020.html

    I've been a long-time Pacers fan from Guyana so imagine my delight that the first player in the NBA to hail from Guyana, Rawle Marshall, ended up with the Pacers. I've seen him play for Dallas and he certainly has scoring skills. His preseason scoring has not surprised me but has his stock improved enough to crack the roster? (From Varunesh in Kingston, Jamaica)



    A. Marshall is one of two players that have really played themselves up the depth chart, and both are former Dallas players acquired in the Darrell Armstrong trade; the other is, of course, Josh Powell. Entering camp, even though he had impressed the staff in workouts, I figured Marshall didn't have much chance of making the roster because at 6-7, 190 pounds, he has virtually the same profile as another ex-Maverick, Marquis Daniels, and prized draft acquisition James White.


    While Daniels has played just four preseason minutes due to a hamstring strain and White has struggled with the adjustment to the NBA, Marshall has looked right at home. He leads the team in minutes (33 per game) and has averaged 10.0 points on 50 percent shooting. A respectable mid-range shooter with a nose for the basket, Marshall also has proven capable of getting to the line and converting, going 20-of-25. All of which is impressive enough, but it's important to remember this is a guy who's specialty is defense, and he hasn't disappointed there. He's just a very smooth, fluid player that looks like he belongs in the NBA.


    Powell has exploded in the last two games, racking up 32 points and 13 rebounds while recovering from the flu. A rugged power forward with deceptive athleticism, Powell is one of those guys willing to give up his body for the good of the team. There's a quiet perseverance about him, as well; he's kind of the strong, silent type. Heading into camp, I figured he had at least an even chance of making it if he played well because the Pacers had a need for another big body. Powell definitely has that, and his ability to hit the 15-foot jumper fits nicely, as well.

    Three important preseason games remain and it will be extremely important for Marshall and Powell to continue to perform well. To this point, though, they've done exactly what players in their circumstances must in training camp and the preseason. They've made themselves extremely difficult to cut. In order to find a way to keep both, the Pacers would have to get pretty creative with their roster decisions. It seems pretty clear, if they had their druthers, the Pacers would find some way to make sure both Marshall and Powell are around for opening night – and well beyond.

  2. #2
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They've made themselves extremely difficult to cut. In order to find a way to keep both, the Pacers would have to get pretty creative with their roster decisions.

    It seems pretty clear, if they had their druthers, the Pacers would find some way to make sure both Marshall and Powell are around for opening night – and well beyond.
    Reads to me like Baston ,Greene or maybe even White could be out, or that the Pacers would try some type of 2 for 1, or even trade a player for cash or a 2nd rounder.

    Why Not Us ?


  3. #3
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    With all these guys proving themselves worthy, I see no way we don't pull off a 2-1 or a trade for a draft pick.

  4. #4
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,614

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all these guys proving themselves worthy, I see no way we don't pull off a 2-1 or a trade for a draft pick.
    You have to find a willing partner, I would think it's really really really hard to do a 2 for 1, especially this time of year.

    I try to think of it from the other teams standpoint, too. Do we want to take on more players/contracts when we haven't even played a game.

    It's easy to say, really hard to execute, I'm guessing.

  5. #5
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    I'm sure we could do Saras for second rounder in a minute, as many people suggested.
    But, I think A) TPTB are holding out for him to improve, and B) Larry doesn't want to lose face.

  6. #6
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure we could do Saras for second rounder in a minute, as many people suggested.
    But, I think A) TPTB are holding out for him to improve, and B) Larry doesn't want to lose face.
    Be realistic. We can't afford getting rid of PGs at this point. I'm sorry. Maybe we should have drafted a PG, I dunno. But getting rid of one of our PGs when the rest of our roster has one injury-ridled PG, one 38 year-old PG, and one guy we just picked up off of waivers doesn't seem that intelligent to me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Yes a 2 for 1 trade is very hard to make. It's easier said than done.

    I hope we find a way to keep both these guys though, along with Greene.

  8. #8
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Be realistic. We can't afford getting rid of PGs at this point. I'm sorry. Maybe we should have drafted a PG, I dunno. But getting rid of one of our PGs when the rest of our roster has one injury-ridled PG, one 38 year-old PG, and one guy we just picked up off of waivers doesn't seem that intelligent to me.
    Just for argument's sake, say that Powell and Marshall were Kobe and Karl Malone at age 22, would you keep a 31 year old Derek Fisher just because you needed PG protection?

    No. You gotta keep the talent. Powell or Marshall APPEAR (ie, could be wrong on this) to be more talented than SarJas. That makes them worth more on the market than SarJas. So at the very least you keep them, let them show their stuff a little, and if 2 of the other THREE PGs go down you trade them for someone better than SarJas has proven to be so far.


    The trade I kicked around due to the 3pt need (not that I think they need it since I like less 3PAs) is D. Marshall. Edwards/SarJas would match and that takes SarJas to a team that wanted him before and still has been looking for PG help.

    D. Marshall doesn't fix a problem and frankly I wouldn't care if he only saw 10 mpg, it just keeps the Pacers in a position to keep Rawle, Greene and Powell.


    Of course my first choice is a Baston cut, but if they can make a decent 2 for 1 in which they give a little in the deal, take on some salary length they don't quite want, then I think that works too. Baston is certainly strong enough to be a #10-12 guy on a standard roster.

  9. #9
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for argument's sake, say that Powell and Marshall were Kobe and Karl Malone at age 22, would you keep a 31 year old Derek Fisher just because you needed PG protection?

    No. You gotta keep the talent. Powell or Marshall APPEAR (ie, could be wrong on this) to be more talented than SarJas. That makes them worth more on the market than SarJas. So at the very least you keep them, let them show their stuff a little, and if 2 of the other THREE PGs go down you trade them for someone better than SarJas has proven to be so far.


    The trade I kicked around due to the 3pt need (not that I think they need it since I like less 3PAs) is D. Marshall. Edwards/SarJas would match and that takes SarJas to a team that wanted him before and still has been looking for PG help.

    D. Marshall doesn't fix a problem and frankly I wouldn't care if he only saw 10 mpg, it just keeps the Pacers in a position to keep Rawle, Greene and Powell.


    Of course my first choice is a Baston cut, but if they can make a decent 2 for 1 in which they give a little in the deal, take on some salary length they don't quite want, then I think that works too. Baston is certainly strong enough to be a #10-12 guy on a standard roster.
    But the talent gap between Marshall/Powell (Or Baston if you will) and Greene is not even close to the talent gap between Kobe and Fisher that you listed. Also, if we had a Kobe that could play PG down the stretch of games I wouldn't worry about this but here we're basically relying on a lot of players we don't want to rely on if something bad happens.

  10. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    I with we could have seen more of Daniels at PG. Anyway, at this point I'd probably be fine with giving Sarunas a clean start somewhere else.

    I don't think he'll be in a much better position with any team we traded him to, but I'd be happy to give him a chance somewhere else.

  11. #11
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the talent gap between Marshall/Powell (Or Baston if you will) and Greene is not even close to the talent gap between Kobe and Fisher that you listed. Also, if we had a Kobe that could play PG down the stretch of games I wouldn't worry about this but here we're basically relying on a lot of players we don't want to rely on if something bad happens.
    Just for argument's sake,
    The point was that you keep the talent. Why keep less just because you paid more for it? That's just stupid.

    Oh, because it's only a little bit of a difference. Tell you what, you give me 20 bucks and I'll hand you back 18. Practically the same amount, so what do you care?

    It's still less, that's why you care. And my point wasn't to cut Greene so you might read again. I just said that you don't worry about trading a PG because of some lack of depth. I specifically mentioned trading SarJas, not Greene.

    Cutting Greene, Marshall or Powell would be a stupid waste of talent. All 3 are good enough to play THIS YEAR and even before injuries set in. If you lose Tinsley and Armstrong and MUST have another PG to go with GREENE, you could trade Marshall for one better than SarJas is right now (IMO).

  12. #12
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point was that you keep the talent. Why keep less just because you paid more for it? That's just stupid.

    Oh, because it's only a little bit of a difference. Tell you what, you give me 20 bucks and I'll hand you back 18. Practically the same amount, so what do you care?

    It's still less, that's why you care. And my point wasn't to cut Greene so you might read again. I just said that you don't worry about trading a PG because of some lack of depth. I specifically mentioned trading SarJas, not Greene.

    Cutting Greene, Marshall or Powell would be a stupid waste of talent. All 3 are good enough to play THIS YEAR and even before injuries set in. If you lose Tinsley and Armstrong and MUST have another PG to go with GREENE, you could trade Marshall for one better than SarJas is right now (IMO).
    Obviously I see your point but I just don't see who we're going pull off a trade here or who we're going to get. I want to keep Marshall and Powell as well but I can TPTB's logic in keeping Greene ahead of them AND sticking with Saras.

    As for cutting Baston, I really don't see that happening. He just seems like too much of an actual signing to just be cut loose here. I hope I'm wrong though, I really do.

  13. #13
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,782

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    i mentioned in the trade forum that we should try and trade SarJar to PHX, they have an extra roster spot available AND i think if he is going to succeed in the NBA it will most likely be for Mike "Euroball" D'Antoni and his shoot-threes, high-octane offense... what defense? system

    i think we could get a 2nd round pick, plus they have a fairly unproven guy backing up nash.


    to the basic point.. i think its vital to keep marshall and powell. i hear good things about greene but we haven't seen it. but i'd be willing to keep him and try it out. i don't know how likely it is that bird will do trade SarJar but i don't think we should decide between marshall and powell. i think we need both.

  14. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i mentioned in the trade forum that we should try and trade SarJar to PHX, they have an extra roster spot available AND i think if he is going to succeed in the NBA it will most likely be for Mike "Euroball" D'Antoni and his shoot-threes, high-octane offense... what defense? system
    Sarunas and Foster for Kurt Thomas and a first-round pick?

    Yeah, we give up more than we get back. But it would actually be like trading Sarunas and Foster for Thomas, Marshall, and a pick.

    Plus Saras could get a fresh start somewhere else.

  15. #15
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sarunas and Foster for Kurt Thomas and a first-round pick?

    Yeah, we give up more than we get back. But it would actually be like trading Sarunas and Foster for Thomas, Marshall, and a pick.

    Plus Saras could get a fresh start somewhere else.
    This was the rumor last summer, though I was tossing James Jones in trying to make sense of it.

    Right now this would be a homerun deal for the Pacers IMO. Marshall has been very impressive and IMO will make more of a contribution this season than SarJas will, perhaps more than Foster as well (harder to compare though).

    This keeps a solid big here, and PHX effectively gets SarJas for free. Makes a lot of sense to me.


    The only reason we are talking this way is because of the pre-season results. And honestly if this team wants to be up-tempo Rawle is the fastest guy on every break. I had NO interest in Rawle to start the preseason, so this is all just earned respect.

    Greene also showed a strong 4th in game 1, which included 5 assists (a couple were pretty nifty even) to go with his dramatically stronger on the ball defense (compared to anything in Indy not named Ron in the last 5 years).

    Powell seems likely to have a better year than Foster, so you want to keep him as well.



    I understand that as a signing (esp for 1.8m) Baston seems more "legit", but the fact is that the team could have cut Rawle sooner and spent ZERO on him, so why didn't they? And Snap was a signing, though much cheaper. And Edwards is likely to be cut despite his $1m+ salary for this season.

    They kept Rawle I assume because they wanted to find out. Well they did, they found out that he's a strong SG/SF type that attacks the basket AND gets out on the break very well.


    All I know is that when Bird turned to me to say "dump Rawle" my response would be "wait, why are we doing this again, why don't we want to keep talent." Hopefully others in TPTB are thinking the same way.



    I also started to mention the odd jump in White's PT. He got "let's take a look at him" numbers in the last game IMO, compared to what he has been getting. If you are resigned to the fact that Williams and White are staying and you have this big issue trying to decide who to keep from a different group, then why give the rookies the PT of guys you want to look at?

    Is it possible that after seeing Rawle they might consider White expendable? I hope not because I think White and Williams are simply rookies and will tighten their games up. But then its not like Powell and Rawle aren't almost rookies too.


    In the "3 years from now" view does anyone see Baston being better than White, Williams, Powell, Greene or Marshall? Does anyone see the team needing Baston to play big minutes this year, at least if they also keep Powell?

    So why do they keep him again? You don't need him now and you won't use him in the future.

  16. #16

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Stating the obvious here but: I think it is a good problem to have not to be able to decide who to cut because the players are too good. I am praying the 2for1 with PHOX will happen. If Saras would embrace his destiny as a E. Piatkowski/S.Kerr hybrid (good shooter with good court vision but not fast enough for a PG) then he would make big stride. Focus on the shooting Saras, NBA PG are just too fast for you nowdays.

  17. #17
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Yes, no matter who we have to trade with, move Saras, and make some space for Marshall and Powell.

  18. #18
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Guys, I just hope we can pull a trade off...but I fear we won't.

  19. #19

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Could the Pacers add Armstrong to the staff since he is wanting to coach next year and keep Greene, Powell and Marshall on the roster?

  20. #20
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could the Pacers add Armstrong to the staff since he is wanting to coach next year and keep Greene, Powell and Marshall on the roster?
    You mean ala "Tree" Rollins Coach/Player ?
    I don't think that creates a loophole, but I could be wrong.

    Why Not Us ?


  21. #21

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, no matter who we have to trade with, move Jackson, and make some space for Marshall and Powell.
    fixed

  22. #22
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean ala "Tree" Rollins Coach/Player ?
    I don't think that creates a loophole, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah, we could make him staff. But then he couldn't play in the games.

  23. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,473

    Default Re: QOD 8/20/06-Has Marshall Done Enough To Make Roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, we could make him staff. But then he couldn't play in the games.
    And he's arguably our best PG. The question tho could be... How much does that matter this season alone in the bigger picture? He's 78 years old and plans to retire after this season. Is this season about this season or is it something bigger (building for the future... a transition year)?

    With Walsh still at the helm I know the answer: It's about this season alone and making the playoffs.

    Armstrong stays.

    If anything happened otherwise it would be a major course correction.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •