Thread: Lest we forget: How 'bout Al?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Lest we forget: How 'bout Al?

Lost in all the excitement and concern over who gets cut . . .

And the silver lining lurking behind the ongoing arguments over Tinsley and Runi . . .

. . . is the fact that Al Harrington looks really, really good.

He has a poise, a smoothness, and a confidence that he didn't have when he was here before. And his outside jumper is almost surreal it looks so good.

So far, he does not remind me of the "black hole" Harrington of the former years. His shots seem more confident and higher percentage. And when he grabs the rebound and starts the fast break, it is a thing of beauty.

You know, when we traded Al, our franchise went downhill. We kept Artest, we gained Jackson. Neither should have happened; we should have just kept Al all along. He defines the class and integrity of Indiana basketball.

I admit, I was one of those wanting to see Al traded in the former years. I got tired of the "black hole," and I didn't have the vision to see him rise above it. Like TPTB, I should have been more patient. It's still preseason, but I am very encouraged by what I see so far.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Lest we forget: How 'bout Al?

But will Al look like that when the team revolves around JO, as it surely will when he returns?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm a big fan of Al. I'm stoked that he's back, and doing well. I expect a big year from Al. Getting him back was the best thing to happen to the Pacers in the last few years.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But will Al look like that when the team revolves around JO, as it surely will when he returns?
    What I would really love to see is for JO to adopt more of a "Bill Russell" type
    mentality, and game. Focus on low-post defense first and foremost.

On offense, let Al be our first low-post option, with JO placing top priority on
    blocking out, and positional rebounding.

I could see it working nicely if JO focuses on being a "dirty work" type player
    first, and looking to score only when a "can't miss" opportunity presents itself.

I think Al would look great in this type of scenario.

JO will not revert to being anything but a scorer. I like the guy, but I don't see him redefining himself for a team concept. In his mind, he is the team, and everyone revolves around him, which is probably how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
    JO will not revert to being anything but a scorer. I like the guy, but I don't see him redefining himself for a team concept. In his mind, he is the team, and everyone revolves around him, which is probably how it should be.

If this team revolves around JO look for a sub .500 year for the Pacers.

-Bball
    WHO hasn't learned that dumping it into JO and watching is a recipe for failure? Everything I've read about TPTB suggests THEY have as well.
    So I don't agree it SURELY will when he returns. Focus, yes. Revolves around, I don't think so, not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    What I would really love to see is for JO to adopt more of a "Bill Russell" type
    mentality, and game. Focus on low-post defense first and foremost.

On offense, let Al be our first low-post option, with JO placing top priority on
    blocking out, and positional rebounding.

I could see it working nicely if JO focuses on being a "dirty work" type player
    first, and looking to score only when a "can't miss" opportunity presents itself.

I think Al would look great in this type of scenario.
    JO is going to have to get a WHOLE BUNCH TOUGHER for that to happen.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    WHO hasn't learned that dumping it into JO and watching is a recipe for failure? Everything I've read about TPTB suggests THEY have as well.
    So I don't agree it SURELY will when he returns. Focus, yes. Revolves around, I don't think so, not any more.
    Big difference between TPTB knowing something and doing it. If fact, I would considering betting a put option on it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

-Bball
    Not to mention PRESEASON.