Thread: Beyond the cuts

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Beyond the cuts

My biggest question is after we get the roster down to 15...

We all know that players #13, #14 & 15# will rarely see the light of day. Hell, these players are lucky to see their uniforms outside their locker stall.

Players #11 & #12 get to dress every game, but their only action is to occasionally waive a towel.

With that said, Does it really matter who gets kept because it seems like most of the guys that are fighting for a roster spot (Baston, O. Greene and/or Marshall) will not see minutes, even if we get sieged with injury.

#15) Shawne Williams
    #14) James White
    #13) Rowle Marshall

#12) Maceo Baston
    #11) Darrell Armstrong

#10) David Harrison
    #9) Josh Powell
    #8) Sarunas
    #7) Jeff Foster
    #6) Marquise

PG: Tinsley
    2G: Jack
    SF: Granger
    PF: AL
    C: JO
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Default Re: Beyond the cuts

Well... the reason you'd keep some of these other guys is to see which player(s) makes themselves expendable in the face of competition for their spot and the direction of the team.

These guys appear good enough to challenge for a spot in the rotation. Harrison has looked like he might be primed for a demotion in the rotation. Foster's lack of offense and the fact he's easily figured out and neutralized (when he's more than a situational player) doesn't help his cause either.

As I said, it isn't really how new players make the original players expendable as much as how the existing players make themselves expendable (by not moving forward, improving, and expanding or adapting their games).

Of course, who knows what will transpire with Sjax on several fronts... And when will Tinsley go down with an injury, illness, sinupoutinitis, or get a mysterious DNP-CD?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think the bench will be used a lot more this season than many are anticipating. Not necessarily because of injuries, either. I think there will be a lot of situational coaching, as opposed to just having a "2nd unit" and the emergency guy(s).

I do think a lot of these guys will see significant minutes.

I think there's another aspect to this you're discounting. Typically, the guys in the 14th, 15th, 16th, and so on slots are veterans or guys like John Edwards who will never see time as a rotation player. Our problem is that our 16th guy (currently either Marshall or Greene) is not only an NBA player, he's also going to be young with some upside. That's why I'd like to see us do a 2-for-1, just to be able to keep talent in-house. Marshall could be a 20ppg scorer 4 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We all know that players #13, #14 & 15# will rarely see the light of day. Hell, these players are lucky to see their uniforms outside their locker stall.

Players #11 & #12 get to dress every game, but their only action is to occasionally waive a towel.

With that said, Does it really matter who gets kept because it seems like most of the guys that are fighting for a roster spot (Baston, O. Greene and/or Marshall) will not see minutes, even if we get sieged with injury.

#15) Shawne Williams
    #14) James White
    #13) Rowle Marshall

#12) Maceo Baston
    #11) Darrell Armstrong

#10) David Harrison
    #9) Josh Powell
    #8) Sarunas
    #7) Jeff Foster
    #6) Marquise

Judging from past experience, the guys sitting in suits are more likely to be 3 of the best players on the team. The suits will be some combination of Tinsley, Foster, O'Neal, Daniels. The last 3 on the roster will be dressed and probably doing more than waving towels.

In your second unit above you have Harrison, Foster, and Powell. I believe there is no small forward among these three. Powell seems to have passed both Harrison and Foster in the rotation. In the second unit you have, Marshall seems to be the one that fits best with either Harrison or Foster going to third string. I look for one of these two to be traded. Greene will be on the team and will be needed as a defensive stopper or as soon as Tinsley goes down with injury and Saras proves he can't handle the job.

I see it more like this: ( if you disregard contracts and injuries, and just go by the talent)

#15) Shawne Williams (suit)
    #14) James White (suit)
    #13) Sarunas (suit)

#12) Maceo Baston or David Harrison (one will be cut or traded)
    #11) Darrell Armstrong

#10) Rowle Marshall
    #9) Orien Greene
    #8) Josh Powell (this group is an excellent group defensively)
    #7) Jeff Foster
    #6) Marquise Daniels

This team is filled with players who are likely to be injured or suspended, so I think the bottom half of the roster is quite important...particularly since there is not a large difference in quality if you look at the bottom half...almost all will be decent players. ...so I would not at all be shocked to see #11 be our 6th man off the bench.

In fact, this might be the deepest team we have had in awhile, considering we have had Eddie Gill, John Edwards and Jon Bender on the roster for several years.

With our history of injuries and suspensions, players 13-15 may be very important.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

#15) Shawne Williams
    #14) James White
    #13) Rowle Marshall

#12) Maceo Baston
    #11) Darrell Armstrong

#10) David Harrison
    #9) Josh Powell
    #8) Sarunas
    #7) Jeff Foster
    #6) Marquise

I agree with you I care a lot less about who players 12-15 are as I do what the players 1-9 are.

I will say this, I expect Greene to not only make the team, but I expect him (maybe not in November with him coming off his injury) to get significant playing time, I expect him to be a rotation player by mid December and a valuable rotation player.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Until injuries I see the rotation like this:

Tins - 31
    Jack - 31
    Granger - 30
    Al - 34
    JO - 36

Daniels 23
    Harrison, Foster and Powell split up 38
    SarJas, Greene and Armstrong split up 17

Greene could take away all of SarJas minutes and unless Sarunas starts playing better that seems likely to happen before 2007.

Rawle easily could get some of Daniels or Jack's time prior to injury needs as well.

To me a typical night goes 10-11 deep. Guys not getting PT NORMALLY - White, Williams, Baston. Guys getting zero at times as PT adjusts once the real games start - Armstrong, SarJas, Marshall...maybe Powell, maybe Foster, maybe Harrison.

With injuries Baston and the rookies could get a little PT and the rest of the guys 100% will.

Isn't it odd that the team was worried about bigs to start the summer and now looks to be stronger as a big lineup than a small one.

Depends on if you're looking only at this year.

If we're not going to win it all this year, then it matters that we find a guy who could be a major player in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    #15) Shawne Williams (suit)
    #14) James White (suit)
    #13) Sarunas (suit)

#12) Maceo Baston or David Harrison (one will be cut or traded)
    #11) Darrell Armstrong

#10) Rowle Marshall
    #9) Orien Greene
    #8) Josh Powell (this group is an excellent group defensively)
    #7) Jeff Foster
    #6) Marquise Daniels

That looks like a good rotation. Looks like our second unit comes largely from Texas.

...but as bad as Harrison plays, we will need him to body up to some big guys...so I don't see him going anywhere...unless we get another big body. Baston, however, should be one of the options on the chopping block.