Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need to keep both Powell and Marshall

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default We need to keep both Powell and Marshall

Both of these guys fit PERFECTLY into this "new system" we're supposed to be implementing. That AJ trade is looking like a STEAL for us right now.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: We need to keep both Powell and Marshall

So that means Greene or Baston.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

We really can't just pawn off one of our guys for a pick?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both of which seem to be guaranteed spots.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    JO
    Al
    Tins
    Jack
    Granger
    Williams
    White
    Runi
    Armstrong
    Powell
    Marshall
    Foster
    Baston
    Harrison
    Daniels

That should be our roster.

I say we cut Runi. Hell maybe we can get somebody to give us a second rounder even. A LATE LATE Second rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    JO
    Al
    Tins
    Jack
    Granger
    Williams
    White
    Runi
    Armstrong
    Powell
    Marshall
    Foster
    Baston
    Harrison
    Daniels

That should be our roster.
    Keep Greene and cut Jesse Cabbages.

It's good to see the two Dallas guys looking like steals. I think Skaut and Jerm called it first, with me later jumping on board after downloading a Mavs game of Powell and Marshall.

I want to keep Greene too, though. Honestly, I think TPTB need to make a brave move and cut whichever Euro they think will help us least. That, or make a trade. A trade would be even better.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

On the call in show tonight after the game, Kevin Lee mentioned that Marshall could be getting heavy minutes to showcase him in hopes of bringing in a possible 2nd round selection.

If a team is interested in a player that we may cut and they are not high up on the order of "waivers", there might be a possible deal to get the player from the Pacers instead of praying that player makes it down to them thru the "waivers" process.

Bottom line though, looks to me Marshall and Powell are the guys to keep.

Heck, Powell makes Foster pretty much expendable!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I can't tell you how fun it was to see Flight and Marshall on the wings.

Leisure Suit Larry

Yeah I'm hoping for these two also. I wish I could make a preseason game but oh well.

I just want to let you know that I've been asking buddies of mine who are Celtics fans what they think of Orien Greene and their general response is "Orien Greene? He's awful! I used to root against him! I knew the Celtics would lose once Orien Greene was playing significant minutes." So yeah.

Diesel_81

If we can't clear up some space for a trade then Baston may be the one to go. Lets face it he's not going to get any time. Powell has outplayed him and we have a ton of big men on our team that can play the 4 spot. I just don't see how you can cut Marshall with the way he's been playing.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Both of these guys fit PERFECTLY into this "new system" we're supposed to be implementing. That AJ trade is looking like a STEAL for us right now.
    These young pups do "got game" - very nice pickups for the Pacers. If kept,
    will be very interesting to see what kind of durability they have over the
    coarse of a full season.

Guys like these are such a breath of fresh air that make it easy to overlook
    some of the annoyances that have taken place.

I think we need to keep Powell and Marshall. Screw trading them...both of these guys could turn into excellent players for our franchise. I say we try and trade away Jack/Foster or something of the sort...I like Jack and Foster..but I'd prefer youth on this team to go along with JO and Harrington.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I just want to let you know that I've been asking buddies of mine who are Celtics fans what they think of Orien Greene and their general response is "Orien Greene? He's awful! I used to root against him! I knew the Celtics would lose once Orien Greene was playing significant minutes." So yeah.
    On every Celtics forum there is a negative image of Orien Greene's game. He doesn't look to have the abilities to be a NBA guard. Only his defense is noteworthy.

So maybe he had a stellar quarter against The Nets, is that really where you want to make a decision on? I say cut Greene and keep Marshall and Powell.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    On every Celtics forum there is a negative image of Orien Greene's game. He doesn't look to have the abilities to be a NBA guard. Only his defense is noteworthy.

So maybe he had a stellar quarter against The Nets, is that really where you want to make a decision on? I say cut Greene and keep Marshall and Powell.
    you make a good point. but, i think his defense is the main reason everyone is so high on him. having a good defensive stopper as our 3rd (and prob. sometimes 2nd) point guard would be swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post

TPTB wanted him (and signed him quickly) because of the way he singlehandedly distrupted our offense last year. We NEED a defender at the 1 spot. Desperately.
    Marshall may look good but he's behind 3 or 4 other good young swing players. There's simply no minutes there. He's only playing now because of the injuries. Once Daniels is back HE gets those minutes. He's gone.
    Unless they get REALLY smart and cut Jackson.

OK, so if we cut Greene, then that will mean TPTB flat out lied to him when they told him "there is no need for you to play with a broken finger, get your finger taken care of, you've made the team"

as far as those reports about every Celtics forum having a negative opinion of Greene (I'm sure they are like every forum, some posters like him some don't) all I know is I really liked what I saw of Greene last season, I want him on the Pacers.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    On the call in show tonight after the game, Kevin Lee mentioned that Marshall could be getting heavy minutes to showcase him in hopes of bringing in a possible 2nd round selection.

If a team is interested in a player that we may cut and they are not high up on the order of "waivers", there might be a possible deal to get the player from the Pacers instead of praying that player makes it down to them thru the "waivers" process.

Bottom line though, looks to me Marshall and Powell are the guys to keep.

Heck, Powell makes Foster pretty much expendable!
    I really think that Kevin is right here. Marshall is getting far too many minutes for a guy that is trying to make the team out of camp. Powell is not getting nearly as many minutes and we know that he has made the team. I think that they hope to parlay Marshall into a second-rounder.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, so if we cut Greene, then that will mean TPTB flat out lied to him when they told him "there is no need for you to play with a broken finger, get your finger taken care of, you've made the team"

as far as those reports about every Celtics forum having a negative opinion of Greene (I'm sure they are like every forum, some posters like him some don't) all I know is I really liked what I saw of Greene last season, I want him on the Pacers.
    They never said he made the team for sure. Carlisle said he saw enough.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At times, if you read our forum you would think that JO is garbage and Austin was the best player on the team. The Lakers forums often make Odom seem useless and Andrew Bynum the second coming of Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Chris Mihm, Luke Walton and Brian Cook (all players that I would be happy to have on the Pacers), complete and total garbage (who ironically could be traded, with "filler", for KG). You cannot go by message boards when evaluating a player.

And remember, Greene was a rookie last year. You have to imagine that he will improve a lot this year, especially in terms of the assist/turnover ratio and shot selection(selection, not %). Those are stats that are heavily influenced by experience. But the fact that he can guard someone at the 1 spot makes him a keeper in my book.

During the Al back and forth in August on the Hawks forum, a poster told me that Jax was bad because everyone this forum didn't like him. My reply was just because posters don't like a guy, it doesn't mean he's not good and quoted Jax's numbers from last year.

Also, the poster said well if Al's so good why would all of the posters on the Hawks forum not care that he was leaving the Hawks, to which I said, I don't know why posters don't care if their team loses its second best scorer, rebounder, and assist man...

I'm not saying I was over there flaming, but what a small group of biased posters on a bulletin board being quoted as a reason for a players ability doesn't hold alot of weight, imo.

You can basically find any opinion about any player ranging from great to terrible, if you look hard enough.

On Greene, what I've seen I like alot, but it's admittedly been limited in what I've seen. He's young, a pit bull, a true point guard, can't shoot. I don't think its a mystery. I really like what he brings.

The Celtics have also had numerous good perimeter defenders lately in Tony Allen, Marcus Banks and Delonte West, not too mention that they just got Rondo.

So I imagine it's a lot easier to hate Greene if you have multiple other players that can do the same thing. We, on the other hand, only have Daniels and a 38-year-old that can guard the little guys.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

What? Root against your own player You would think only Pacer fans did that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.