Thread: So who wanted Greene as a 2nd backup PG?

Default So who wanted Greene as a 2nd backup PG?

Post in contravention of our rules, please leave the cookies and hidden links at the site of origin.

Default Re: So who wanted Greene as a 2nd backup PG?

So your point is?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please remove the hmtl codes.

As for this situation, even though Boston didn't want him, we don't really have a backup PG so we might as well let him audition.

But it looks like we'll carry Tinsley and a bunch of third-stringers into the regular season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Oh my god...this is typical Jack stuff. This is why basketball GMs need to be more like Locke and less like Jack and Hollinger...it's not all about the numbers.

The best part of Orien Greene's game is not in the numbers.

goes back to what we were saying earlier, number crunching never tells the whole story. I remember the Pacers playing against Boston last year and he completely disrupted the Pacers offense.

What were Haywoode Workman's numbers and how important was he!!

He's a good defender. Hollinger has never heard of defense.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I fail to see the problem of having a one-dimensional guy on the end of your bench, provided that his one dimension (playing solid pressure D) is something that no other player on the team at his position can play AT ALL.

If Tins and Saras could guard their own shadow, then he wouldn't be in camp.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Judging by the name of the poster, I would say that he might have a little bit of an agenda in posting that.

Just a little bit...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

NBA rookies generally aren't very good out of the box, and this guy was asked to play a lot in his first year. I bet he's much improved this year.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Forget whatever stats he showed (I assume the very questionable, mostly offense per minute, Hollinger stats), some of us actually watched him play in the first game, and quite sincerely Greene not only played better defense, he also MOVED the ball better than Cabbages.

Seeing him in action had an instant impact on me, it was clear what DW and Bird saw in him. The same has been true of Powell and Marshall, and even White and Williams despite their typical rookie mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Judging by the name of the poster, I would say that he might have a little bit of an agenda in posting that.

Just a little bit...
    I think it's more the other way around. Some of you are talking about Sarunas in mostly every thread. He gets the most attention of you all, while there are bigger concerns about this team (leadership/injuries of JO, Tinsley and the attitude problems of Jackson). When I think about it, most of you are just jealous of him, not having such a beautiful wife!

I beg your pardon. My wife is just as beautiful. ....( waiting ) Ok, she' not looking over my shoulder any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saruniac View Post
    I think it's more the other way around. Some of you are talking about Sarunas in mostly every thread. He gets the most attention of you all, while there are bigger concerns about this team (leadership/injuries of JO, Tinsley and the attitude problems of Jackson). When I think about it, most of you are just jealous of him, not having such a beautiful wife!
    I'm personally hoping that Larry Bird gets jealous enough to trade him in a 2-for-1, allowing us to keep Powell, Marshall, and Baston. The side benefit of getting rid of all of the Sarunas homers would be pretty nice, also.

To get down to brass tacks, I think Sarunas is an average backup PG, but he needs to dominate the ball to be effective, a la Steve Nash. I dare someone to refute that statement, because the stats clearly show he plays much better when he starts or is featured in the 2nd unit where he can make nifty passes to inside players. The problem is, he's not nearly the player Nash is, and this system isn't built for the PG to dominate the ball.

I hope the JO-Jamaal-Steven homers go away when they are traded too!

If we cannot purge ourselves of Jax in the next day or so...or do some other trade, Saras needs to be cut. Marshall is young and has great upside...we should not let him go. He really fits the style of this team, has a good offensive game and plays good D.

...but I doubt that will happen because Bird's extreme arrogance exceeds all reason. He is just too full of himself to admit he made a mistake. Bird should not be allowed to make another mistake due to his arrogance.

This is coming from a Saras supporter no less. I just came to accept the facts.

Orien is absolutely a better player than Sarunas. Trust me, I got the chance to watch both equally - not base anything on my biased views. Your boy is essentially 15th man material, and Orien is going to be a valuable reserve for this team. Stop complaining about JO as well - you can whine about Jack and Tins (most people do) - but what did JO do to deserve any criticism?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Saruniac View Post
    I hope the JO-Jamaal-Steven homers go away when they are traded too!
    There are no JO-Jamaal-Stephen homers just Pacers fans. Sarunas homers are fans of the team just because of Sarunas, if Sarunas goes anywhere, you and Kestas and all of the other ones will leave and go to the new team Sarunas is at.

OG is the better NBA player than Sarunas. Sarunas is much more skilled and is probably the better player at the international game, but OG is a much better NBA player and is the better player for this Pacers team.

Think about it like this.

The Pacers want to get up and down the court. You need to be able to pressure the ball, especially at the point guard spot. Our starting point guard isn't no defenseive wizarad (Tinsley) and so usually you want your backup to be able to complament him, maybe cover up some of his weaknesses. OG can do that. OG is big, athletic, and already a good defender. Now I have not had the chance to see the kid play except for maybe one or two times last year but from what i've heard OG has the skills to run a team in the NBA. So hopefully with time he will be able to run a team effectively too.