Thread: Trade deadline: Deals that make sense (ESPN)

Default Trade deadline: Deals that make sense (ESPN)

Updated: October 17, 1:39 PM ET
    Trade deadline: Deals that make sense

By Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton
    ESPN.com

With the trade deadline set to pass Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, we asked John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli to break down 10 trades than made sense and could actually have a chance of happening.

John Clayton

Titans DT Albert Haynesworth to the Colts: The Colts should give up a third-rounder for Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. The Colts signed DT Corey Simon last year, but the move hasn't work out; the defensive tackle has been placed on the non-football illness-injury list and is out for the season.

The Colts found out in the first five games that they miss Simon's presence in the middle of their defensive line. They're last in the NFL against the run, allowing 166.8 yards per game. Haynesworth can be dominating, but his days are about over in Tennessee.

Coach Jeff Fisher has gone on record as saying he isn't sure he wants Haynesworth back after his suspension for stepping on the face of Cowboys center Andre Gurode. The team is going after five weeks of prorated signing bonus, a good sign that he's on the way out. Haynesworth could replace what the Colts lost in Simon.

Len Pasquarelli

Philadelphia DT Sam Rayburn to Indianapolis: The Colts' most recent experiment with a defensive tackle who began his career in Philadelphia, underachieving Corey Simon, was a flop, which is why Indianapolis could stand to add another veteran at the position.

Like Simon, fourth-year veteran Sam Rayburn is bigger (303 pounds) than what the Colts prefer on the defensive line, but he does have some quickness and one-gap ability.

Colts coaches keep pinning their deficiencies versus the run on poor tackling, but that isn't the lone problem, and another front-four body would be a plus. Rayburn, 26, had been the odd man out in the eight-lineman rotation Eagles' coordinator Jim Johnson has been using, but finally dressed on Sunday and posted one tackle.

He has played in 42 games, with four starts, and has 89 tackles and nine sacks. An undrafted free agent in 2003, the former Tulsa star really flashed in 2004, when he notched six sacks. He is under contract through 2011 at palatable base salaries that top out at $950,000 in the final year of his deal.
    Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton are senior writers for ESPN.com

ESPN.com.

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trade deadline: Deals that make sense (ESPN)

I'm not really up on what Haynesworth has been like as far as getting in to trouble before. Is this an isolated inident? If so, I'd be all for bringing him in.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not really up on what Haynesworth has been like as far as getting in to trouble before. Is this an isolated inident? If so, I'd be all for bringing him in.
    He always seemed to be a jackass to me, even before the Dallas game. I don't think the Colts would be that interested in him nor are the Titans just dying to help us out.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe Sam Rayburn but, hell no to Haynesworth, no douches.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't I hear somewhere he did the same type of thing in college or was that one of the other NFL bad boys?