Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeper League Setup on NBA.com

Default Keeper League Setup on NBA.com

All KL members should have received an e-mail from me regarding a KL I've set up on NBA.com. This is just a backup plan for the time being but it does give us most of the options we had at sports.ws - other than the games format.

The e-mail has more details.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: Keeper League Setup on NBA.com

I'm concerned that it divides it up into 5 positions instead of 3 (PG through C vs. G, F, C). I specifically made my draft choices thinking I'd be dealing with a G, F, C setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm concerned that it divides it up into 5 positions instead of 3 (PG through C vs. G, F, C). I specifically made my draft choices thinking I'd be dealing with a G, F, C setup.
    I didn't use that selection - what I used was selecting 2 G, 1 GF, 2 F, 1 C and 1 CF as starters - for the time being.

The big problem is this league doesn't go by filling minutes so the utility of players who play 15 minutes with a high FPPM seems to be less.

Basically you'd select your 7 "starters" and the remaining 5 would be the bench. The scores of the 7 starters would be used to determine who won with the bench as a tiebreaker. I may change that to 8 players before the draft - I really need to dive into the site to get the scoring figured out.

Part of the reason I set this up already is so everyone could log on and check out how it works to make sure it's an option we want to use. I don't think there's a site out there that uses the identical system as sports.ws - if there was, we'd be using it. We're at the point of looking for what amounts to the best avilable option.

For me, the keys, in order, were these:

1 - Customizable scoring system
    2 - Ability to set up a Keeper League
    3 - Head-to-head option

The first 2 we have, the 3rd we sort of have. The league does have the ability to make and veto trades, the waiver wire seems to work very similarly with an inverse record preference, etc.

We're looking for the best of a bad set of options. In the other league, a legit option is to fill your roster with guys who play 20-25 mpg with a high FPPM. In this league, that's a big negative unless I find the scoring's different from what I think it is.

There's no great solution - best available is what we'll have to live with and hope it's only for one season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks Rim.

I looked at the site and my team. Since we only have a12 team roster, I would recommend we leave the "starters" at 7. That gives us more flexibility if injuries become a problem. If we have 8-9 starters and you get a couple of guys hurt that play the same psotion, center for example, then you lose all of your bench flexibility. The deeper bench will also allow for keeping those projects that might not contribute this season but you would probably keep for next year.

Don't shoot me Rim, but I just realized today that I'm tied up next Saturday morning until 10:30 central time at least. I'm the leader of our men's ministry at church and that is our breakfast/work day date. I'll try to get out of there as quickly as I can, but I give no guarentees. I'll get you a contengency list by Friday evening. I will be at one of these drafts one day.

A little more info on positions.

There is a commissioner utility that allows me to designate player positions.

I have to do a lot with it.

The site right now has some wierd designations. Frex, it will designate someone a GF and a G, but not at F.

Here's my plan: For every likely player I'm going to try to get in there and make sure the positions make sense. Frex, say they have Gasol listed at CF and C. I'm going to go in and add him at F as well. Then it'll be up to the owner to use him however he thinks best, based on positions. Some players, like Yao, are obviously just a center.

I don't believe the site allows owners to put players up for a position change. However we can work around that - just do an informal vote via e-mail, here or on the message board. But I want to take care of most of it right now.

For this year, even though in the past we haven't automatically carried over positions, I'm going to take the position players played last year from your 9-man rosters and plug those in accordingly. I'll do the same for players that IMO are likely to be drafted. Dunno how I can get that done by Saturday but I'll figure it out.

Now, because of the way this thing scores, I'm going to change it to 3 guards, 3 Forwards and 1 center - for now. If in the past 3 years you haven't picked up a CF or GF I'm afraid that by designating a dual position to count in our scoring, if you dont have a dual player you'll be getting screwed.

Of course those of us who really worked at getting dual players for the purpose of flexibility will be getting screwed here, but not as badly as the other way around.

And again, right now I have 1 preference for 7 players. I can go to 8 very easily by adding a 2nd center as a starter, which would seem to make sense. So let me know either here or on e-mail how many players you want stats to count as starters and how many to be the bench.

IMO the following would work well:

3 - G
    3 - F
    2 - C

8 starters and 4 bench. But I'll go with whatever gets the most support by Friday evening.

I like the 2 C option, but 1 is more then enough
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I'd like to vote for the 8th starter.

I like the 2nd center option as well.

The other league will be set up with the 3 guard, 3 forward & 2 center option.

OK - I've changed the roster settings so we'll have 3 G, 3 F and 3 C

Here's the problem - there has been a commissioner option, "Set player eligibility" which I've used to make position changes.

That option has disappeared. I was up to the letter M and was going to finish that tonight.

Hopefully this will reappear at some point because the site had some goofy positions assigned. If it doesn't, I guess we'll deal with it.

We also still lack 4 teams that haven't signed up.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

Here's the problem - there has been a commissioner option, "Set player eligibility" which I've used to make position changes.

That option has disappeared. I was up to the letter M and was going to finish that tonight.

Hopefully this will reappear at some point because the site had some goofy positions assigned. If it doesn't, I guess we'll deal with it.

Ok, ehm.... 3 "active" Centers? Wow! Are there enough C's in the league to make this work when you figure in benches too? Or was that a typo and should I read 2 Centers?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

9 active players on a 12 man roster? That seems too high to me, especially for a keeper league. How can you stash a guy when you have to keep an active backup for each spot? 3 centers also seems high because in the old system you only had to have 2 players to cover the position. Right now I'm just going to have to fill my list with every active center available and hope I get one to fill every spot.

Will a player like Bosh still be able to rotate between 2 spots or will he only be a C or F? I would rather have a 3,3,2 alignment if we have to have more than 1 center each week.

I just checked the site and it still says 3,3,2. Is that correct?

Sorry - I changed it from 3-3-1 to 3-3-2. NOT 3-3-3.

Been sitting in too many mindless conference sessions for my brain to function properly.

LOL - just found the "player eligibility" link too.

I need sleep.

Will I be able to set up my contingency list before the draft starts, or is that only an option after 9AM tomorrow?

I have my list of 60+ players, and my availability to draft live tomorrow morning is doubtful.

If a draft contingency can't be set up before 9 AM, I'll e-mail it to you tonight, Rim.

I don't know my way around the site too well, and haven't seen a place to set up the draft list.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Will I be able to set up my contingency list before the draft starts, or is that only an option after 9AM tomorrow?

I have my list of 60+ players, and my availability to draft live tomorrow morning is doubtful.

If a draft contingency can't be set up before 9 AM, I'll e-mail it to you tonight, Rim.

I don't know my way around the site too well, and haven't seen a place to set up the draft list.
    There's a "rank players before the draft" link but the system blows.

It still has all the Keepers on it so if, frex, you wanted to add Josh Boone to your list you'd have a choice between scrolling him all the way past the keepers, or trying to track just who's not available.

Everywhere on the site it says assigned keepers won't be available to draft. That better be true - they've been assigned.

OK, I found that, but it's so slow to load that it times out so I can't get in.

I'll try some more.

Also on the assigned positions and the way this site handles multiposition players, tell me if I have this right:

My CFs and GFs will have to be designated as one position or the other every time I set my lineup. And each time I set my lineup, I'll have the option to pick each multiposition guy to go either way, right? The difference then is that I just won't be able to have any player using minutes at two positions at once.

I'm hoping that's the case, since I have almost no Fs and a ton of CFs.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I can't seem to get on the pre-ranking page at all right now. That's not a problem if the keepers get removed. I'll go with the auto picks. If they have not been removed, then I don't wan to screw everyone else up. We shall see!

I have a question as well.

Kobe is listed as a SG

Andre Miller as a G

Hinrich as a PG

When did the SG & PG classifactions come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I have a question as well.

Kobe is listed as a SG

Andre Miller as a G

Hinrich as a PG

When did the SG & PG classifactions come into play?
    I could be wrong, but I believe Rim set our league as straight 3G, 3F, 2C. That would mean that any player with a guard designation could fill any of the 3 spots. The same with F & C. One can probably designate specific positions if one wanted to. That is the way it works on Yahoo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I can't seem to get on the pre-ranking page at all right now. That's not a problem if the keepers get removed. I'll go with the auto picks. If they have not been removed, then I don't wan to screw everyone else up. We shall see!
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one - I couldn't get there either.

However you want to do it - I can't log on as you and draft, but I can log on as me and assign the player you'd be due to draft to your team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe Rim set our league as straight 3G, 3F, 2C. That would mean that any player with a guard designation could fill any of the 3 spots. The same with F & C. One can probably designate specific positions if one wanted to. That is the way it works on Yahoo anyway.
    What about players that were FC Center at gametime who are now just PF at NBA.com? Is there a a way to reassign them to their traditional use in this league?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Rim, did you get my PM?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    What about players that were FC Center at gametime who are now just PF at NBA.com? Is there a a way to reassign them to their traditional use in this league?
    I went through all the keepers and assigned them the positions they had at the end of the season. Anyone else and we'll have to do a league vote - probably here.

I'll be sending out an e-mail in a little bit to everyone - my suggestion is that when you want to vote on a position change, start a poll here and vote on it that way. Make sure it's public so we count KL owners only.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Rim, did you get my PM?
    Just did - send me an answer.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

All KL members should have received an e-mail from me regarding a KL I've set up on NBA.com. This is just a backup plan for the time being but it does give us most of the options we had at sports.ws - other than the games format.

The e-mail has more details.
    I don't have the name of our league and the password I need. I need both or I can't pick up my new team and draft.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I don't have the name of our league and the password I need. I need both or I can't pick up my new team and draft.

Regards,

Mourning
    use your "normal" username for NBA.com (login in via ufc2.nba.com)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!