Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

  1. #1
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    It doesn't help the team one damn bit, the management knows people don't like Jack. But going and Booing Jack a member of this team for nothing he is doing on the court at that moment(Whether or not that helps a player is debatable) is just moronic. It doesn't make the team better.

    I really feel people who go to games with a predetermined plan of booing one of their own players are like one of the worst fans. I don't like JO or Jamaal but I still cheer for them when I go to a game. And until they are traded, or sign with another team I will continue to not boo them, and screw with thier head, hurting the team.

  2. #2
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    I dont agree with it either, you are booing them but you really want them to win games. Well booing damn sure is not going to help anyone win games.

  3. #3
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Guest

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Great post! I'm glad someone agrees.

  4. #4
    Member Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Butler University
    Age
    26
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    I didn't boo.


  5. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Did you see his line?

    Who says it was for what happened off the court?

  6. #6
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you see his line?

    Who says it was for what happened off the court?
    Because this is dating back to last season, when he got booed pretty much everytime he touched the ball. I remember once he hit a 3 pointer and people booed, I was like WTF morons. Sarunas just TO'ed and you didn't do ****.

  7. #7
    Member Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Butler University
    Age
    26
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Why does Saras get so many cheers? He's horrible


  8. #8
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Sadly, or after looking at the box score maybe mercifully, I was not able to attend the game because I was in Ohio so I was not there when Jax was introduced.

    I don't boo very often & just as often as not I don't cheer either, just ask Hicks he'll tell you I pretty much sit there like a bump on a log unless something sparks me.

    However I just want to be the first person to disagree with the premise of not booing off-court behavior. IMO, it does not make them the worst kind of fans.

    No, the worst kind are the ones who only pay attention when the team is in a deep playoff run & stay home & not watch the rest of the time.

    Let me ask you a question. How is it that management knows the fans don't like Jax? I can assure you that it is not because they have mental telepathy.

    It's because the fans boo'd Jackson long & hard last season. Often times, IMO, unfairly but that is not my decision to make. But boo him they did.

    Now let's take your premise for a min. & say that every fan should just cheer with unabashed enthusiasm whenever any person wearing blue & gold walks on the floor.

    Let's just use Jax as an example.

    Let's say the fieldhouse expolded with applause for Jax, even though let's say roughly 75% of those in attendance no longer wanted him on the team.

    How then would management know that the fans were unhappy with Jackson? If you only cheer no matter what then your voice is not heard.

    Is it fair to the other players? Probably not, but I think they are smart enough to know that the fans are directing this at one player & one player alone.

    This guy has taken what should have been a fresh new start & dipped it in the same old stink of previous conflicts. So are fans wrong to be upset? I say hell no.

    IMO, the fans would only have themselves to blame if they didn't let tptb know how they felt. I'm sure for everyone involved (minus Jackson) would prefer the fans to do this as opposed to the other way they could protest. They could just stay home.

    As far as screwing with the team & messing with their heads I'd say that went out the window with the magic of 3 a.m.

    I am differant than most people but I just feel that people who go to games with the mindset of not telling the truth about how they feel only hurts the team.

    IMO, we should never boo when a team is just beating us. We should never boo when a guy or the team is busting their @ss trying but just not able to get it done.

    But lack of effort, lack of desire & yes stupidity off court justifies a good old fashioned boo.

    Like I said often times last season I thought the fans were wrong to boo him, but it's their choice.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  9. #9

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sadly, or after looking at the box score maybe mercifully, I was not able to attend the game because I was in Ohio so I was not there when Jax was introduced.

    I don't boo very often & just as often as not I don't cheer either, just ask Hicks he'll tell you I pretty much sit there like a bump on a log unless something sparks me.

    However I just want to be the first person to disagree with the premise of not booing off-court behavior. IMO, it does not make them the worst kind of fans.

    No, the worst kind are the ones who only pay attention when the team is in a deep playoff run & stay home & not watch the rest of the time.

    Let me ask you a question. How is it that management knows the fans don't like Jax? I can assure you that it is not because they have mental telepathy.

    It's because the fans boo'd Jackson long & hard last season. Often times, IMO, unfairly but that is not my decision to make. But boo him they did.

    Now let's take your premise for a min. & say that every fan should just cheer with unabashed enthusiasm whenever any person wearing blue & gold walks on the floor.

    Let's just use Jax as an example.

    Let's say the fieldhouse expolded with applause for Jax, even though let's say roughly 75% of those in attendance no longer wanted him on the team.

    How then would management know that the fans were unhappy with Jackson? If you only cheer no matter what then your voice is not heard.

    Is it fair to the other players? Probably not, but I think they are smart enough to know that the fans are directing this at one player & one player alone.

    This guy has taken what should have been a fresh new start & dipped it in the same old stink of previous conflicts. So are fans wrong to be upset? I say hell no.

    IMO, the fans would only have themselves to blame if they didn't let tptb know how they felt. I'm sure for everyone involved (minus Jackson) would prefer the fans to do this as opposed to the other way they could protest. They could just stay home.

    As far as screwing with the team & messing with their heads I'd say that went out the window with the magic of 3 a.m.

    I am differant than most people but I just feel that people who go to games with the mindset of not telling the truth about how they feel only hurts the team.

    IMO, we should never boo when a team is just beating us. We should never boo when a guy or the team is busting their @ss trying but just not able to get it done.

    But lack of effort, lack of desire & yes stupidity off court justifies a good old fashioned boo.

    Like I said often times last season I thought the fans were wrong to boo him, but it's their choice.
    I agree with this post 100%

    For the record, the recap of the game said he didn't start getting booed until he started playing bad.

  10. #10
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    For the record, the recap of the game said he didn't start getting booed until he started playing bad.
    I was there and they did boo him each time (3) he came into the game, I didn't hear any booing while he was playing though.

    I don't think I've ever booed the Pacers team or any Pacers players ever and I often get mad when I hear fans boo the home team or any of the players.

  11. #11
    Member #31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,811

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Well, im not booing, but when & while i watch these guys im mostly holding my head and have a very weird face expression and sometimes i maybe scream and then i finally say something.. but its not romantic words. And thats NOT because "for things off the court" believe me!

  12. #12
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    I think people boo because of the financial divide between them and the players and the perceived mental divide as well. I think people pay a ton of money to take their families out on a nice outing, only to see a rich boy-thug-wanna-be who probably has more money in the lockerroom, than the family has in the bank, acting like a fool. If they wanted to see rich-"gangsta" wanna-bes, they would have stayed home and watch "Cribs" on MTV and saved some money....just my $.02.

  13. #13
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Maybe they had to boo at the game because the other night they weren't at 38th and Lafayette Rd.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

  14. #14
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Being a fan is an implied contract between the player, the team and those in the seats. If said player performs up to expectations (yes, this includes off the court) they rarely get booed. If they screw up on the court (yes, off the court too) there is a price to pay for it. I seriously, seriously doubt the players care if they get booed or not as long as they see that big paycheck.

    This is a bit of a stretch, but if you have a spouse that keeps screwing up - do you cheer them every time they come into the room? No. If they keep screwing up - you divorce yourself from the situation. Basically, the fans have gone through divorce proceedings with Jackson.

    A fan is a fan. They usually will cheer the team. It doesn't mean they have to like the player or players. It's their right. I have no use for Jackson or Tinsley but the Pacers are still my team.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  15. #15
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    I used to have a zero tolerance for booing the home team. I thought it was despicable. It shows how far I've gone into the "dark side" when it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

    As for booing a player just because you don't like them, well, I say pick your moments. entering the game is not the right moment in my opinion.

    The time I recall the booing being deserved was last season after the meltdown in Milwaukee.

    We missed - what - 10 FT's any one of which would have won the game? The next game, the Pacers return to Conseco and start the night missing thier freethrows. This is Indiana - we make our free throws. The crowd let the Pacers have it, and they deserved it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  16. #16
    Pacesetter
    Guest

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court
    This is a good question. This is something alot of people want to know, especially those playing in an NBA uniform. The answer is easy. Fans don't show up to games to watch their favorite players because they want to see them score a hundred points, the reason they show up and cheer their favorite players is because they LIKE them. Pure and simple to the point. There's no great mystery here, they LIKE the players they cheer. So, in contrast when a player goes out and commits felonies, they feel that person has betrayed them - and consequently boo him. It's just part of the business. If fans didn't LIKE the players they would probably never go to an NBA game; it's not worth the price of admission to watch a shoot around.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sadly, or after looking at the box score maybe mercifully, I was not able to attend the game because I was in Ohio so I was not there when Jax was introduced.

    I don't boo very often & just as often as not I don't cheer either, just ask Hicks he'll tell you I pretty much sit there like a bump on a log unless something sparks me.

    However I just want to be the first person to disagree with the premise of not booing off-court behavior. IMO, it does not make them the worst kind of fans.

    No, the worst kind are the ones who only pay attention when the team is in a deep playoff run & stay home & not watch the rest of the time.

    Let me ask you a question. How is it that management knows the fans don't like Jax? I can assure you that it is not because they have mental telepathy.

    It's because the fans boo'd Jackson long & hard last season. Often times, IMO, unfairly but that is not my decision to make. But boo him they did.

    Now let's take your premise for a min. & say that every fan should just cheer with unabashed enthusiasm whenever any person wearing blue & gold walks on the floor.

    Let's just use Jax as an example.

    Let's say the fieldhouse expolded with applause for Jax, even though let's say roughly 75% of those in attendance no longer wanted him on the team.

    How then would management know that the fans were unhappy with Jackson? If you only cheer no matter what then your voice is not heard.

    Is it fair to the other players? Probably not, but I think they are smart enough to know that the fans are directing this at one player & one player alone.

    This guy has taken what should have been a fresh new start & dipped it in the same old stink of previous conflicts. So are fans wrong to be upset? I say hell no.

    IMO, the fans would only have themselves to blame if they didn't let tptb know how they felt. I'm sure for everyone involved (minus Jackson) would prefer the fans to do this as opposed to the other way they could protest. They could just stay home.

    As far as screwing with the team & messing with their heads I'd say that went out the window with the magic of 3 a.m.

    I am differant than most people but I just feel that people who go to games with the mindset of not telling the truth about how they feel only hurts the team.

    IMO, we should never boo when a team is just beating us. We should never boo when a guy or the team is busting their @ss trying but just not able to get it done.

    But lack of effort, lack of desire & yes stupidity off court justifies a good old fashioned boo.

    Like I said often times last season I thought the fans were wrong to boo him, but it's their choice.
    Great post.

    For the part I highlighted, I could not agree more. I agree 100%, 1000%, 100,000%.

    I, for one, will not boo my team if they are just having an off night or just having one of those "bad days". However, if a guy is just going through the motions, or just looks like he doest give a crap and is just around to pick up his paycheck, please beleive I will boo him

  18. #18
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Maybe they just didn't like Jax's new cut ?

    Why Not Us ?


  19. #19
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    They boo Jack but cheer the hell out of Saras, even when Jack is obviously trying his *** off out there. Nope, not a race issue at all.

  20. #20
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They boo Jack but cheer the hell out of Saras, even when Jack is obviously trying his *** off out there. Nope, not a race issue at all.

    Are you saying Cabbage doesn't try? As much as I don't like him it's not for lack of effort on his part. I just don't think he lives up to his billing.

  21. #21
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They boo Jack but cheer the hell out of Saras, even when Jack is obviously trying his *** off out there. Nope, not a race issue at all.
    IRL or NASCAR. Your post didn't deserve any better reply.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  22. #22
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They boo Jack but cheer the hell out of Saras, even when Jack is obviously trying his *** off out there. Nope, not a race issue at all.
    How many times has Saras jumped into the stands to fight with fans, or pulled out his jersey ready to fight the entire opposing team?

    How many times has Saras been arrested since he's been here?

    How many times has Saras been in a fight at a night club at 3am?

    Jax has been arrested/charged with a criminal crime, convicted once and most likely will a second time, twice in FOUR years.

    He his getting arrested every other year here. If he was Reggie, and played 18yrs with the Ps, he's on pace to be arrested nine freaking times.

    Yep, Jax is booed because he's black. That's it.

    I agree 100% with Peck BTW.

  23. #23
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    The real question is actually how many times has Runi helped this team win?

    Um 1 maybe 2 times.

    Plus take into account how they ended up here

    Jack came here as compensation so that we wouldn't just lose Al Harrington for nothing.

    Runi came here and left us unable to resign James Jones and Dale Davis.

  24. #24
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there and they did boo him each time (3) he came into the game, I didn't hear any booing while he was playing though.

    I don't think I've ever booed the Pacers team or any Pacers players ever and I often get mad when I hear fans boo the home team or any of the players.
    Yeah, I'm not a guy that boo's either. At worst I will yell about something specific, like "get back on defense next time" or something, and even that is rare.

    The idea that you must boo to make your point is ridiculous. How about just keeping your yapper shut? You don't think silence makes its point? No one is asking you to cheer for a player you don't like, but just take the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" attitude. It's tried and true IMO.


    The fans that really get me are the ones that sit till the end of a Pacers blowout loss apparently just to boo and heckle the Pacers some more. I sit and watch every minute even if it's mostly crap, but I understand why a fan would say "enough" and walk out. But if you hate enough to whine and moan, why not just end the pain and leave?

    A few nitwits boo'd Tinsley at FAN JAM of all places, a free "we give you a hot dog and some chips" family friendly scrimmage. That's really going out of your way to be a jerk, ironically rather the same personality they are complaining about some Pacers having.

  25. #25
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,253

    Default Re: I don't get why people boo at the games for things off the court

    Jack deserves the boos and Saras does not deserve the cheers. Hope that pleases y'all.

    BTW, if Saras had Jack's police record, he would be getting boo'ed just as hard. Just the facts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •