Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge enters not guilty plea on Jackson's behalf

Post Judge enters not guilty plea on Jackson's behalf

A Marion County judge has entered a preliminary plea of not guilty on behalf of Pacers guard Stephen Jackson on a felony charge of criminal recklessness.Comment

More...

Default Re: Judge enters not guilty plea on Jackson's behalf

Thanks Robo, it appears IndyStar has a more detailed update.

12:11 PM October 12, 2006

Jackson booked
    in strip club fight
    By Vic Ryckaert
    vic.ryckaert@indystar.com
    October 12, 2006

Update, 12:05 p.m. Prosecutor: ‘Just like any other case’

Stephen Jackson was expected to be released early this afternoon after his booking today on the charges related to last week’s brawl and gunshots outside a Westside strip club.

“I was there, I take responsibility for my actions, and I just want to get this behind me and get it over with,” Jackson told WRTV-TV (Channel 6) as he headed into the City-County Building this morning.

Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi, whose office filed a felony criminal reckless charge and two misdemeanors in connection with last Friday’s incident, acknowledged the intense interest in the case but said that wouldn’t matter.

“We’re going to treat this just like any other case,” Brizzi said outside the courtroom.

“Obviously, the scrutiny of the media, the attention, create somewhat of a distraction.

“But at the same time, it’s not a complicated case. We have the evidence to proceed and we’re going to proceed as normal.”
    Earlier: Jackson led from courtroom in handcuffs

The Indiana Pacers’ Stephen Jackson was led out of a Marion Superior Court in handcuffs this morning.

Jackson was booked today on charges of criminal recklessness and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct for shooting a handgun and kicking a disabled man during a fight at Club Rio, 5054 W. 38th St.

“He was treated just like any other defendant,” Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said. “They have to process him through the court he will have to post bond and be released.”

Judge Patricia Gifford told Jackson not to contact witnesses or others involved in the case. Gifford entered a not guilty plea for the Pacer.

Jackson will be fingerprinted and photographed during the booking process. He will be released later today after posting $10,000 bond.

Jackson and his attorney say he was acting in self-defense.

“A group of thugs attacked a group of young men who were there, some of which were members of the Indiana Pacers,” defense attorney James Voyles said. “There was a fight, there were threatening things that went on and during the course of that self-defense was used.”

Jackson will be back in court for a hearing on Nov. 1. His jury trial was set for Jan. 8.

The charges could trigger even more woes for Jackson because he is still on probation from a Michigan criminal case stemming from an attack on fans during a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Initially portrayed as the victim, Jackson was shocked Wednesday to learn he had been charged, said Pacers executive Larry Bird.

“This is a big blow for Stephen. He didn’t expect this,’’ Bird said. “He’s taking it very hard.”

According to court documents, four Pacers -- Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels and Jimmie “Snap” Hunter -- and several of their friends were leaving the club when they exchanged words with a man.

That man, Quentin “Fingers” Willford, 24, was identified in court documents as the person Jackson kicked.

Brizzi also charged two other men in connection with the fight.

Raymel Mattox, 29, the man Brizzi said instigated the fight, was charged Wednesday with disorderly conduct, battery and possession of marijuana. He is identified as Tinsley’s friend.

Also arrested was Deon “Dino” Willford, 23, charged with battery, failure to stop after an accident and operating a vehicle without a license. Police said he hit Jackson with a car in the strip club parking lot after Jackson kicked his cousin.

Willford also appeared in court this morning. Judge Patricia Gifford gave Willford until a Nov. 1 pre-trail hearing to hire a lawyer.

Willford remains held in Marion County Jail on $80,000 bond.

Mattox is at home in New York and has agreed to surrender to Indiana authorities soon, according to the prosecutor’s office.

IndyStar
    So of all dates, his pre-trial hearing begins on opening night in the NBA.

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting that Dino is being held on such a high bond.

I wonder what kind of backgrounds Fingers and Dino have?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Jackson
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just want to get this behind me and get it over with.

I wonder how many people say that as they are going into court for a preliminary hearing on felony charges. I would imagine a lot of them would prefer to "put it behind them" rather than face the charges and possibly pay the penalty required by law.

Just a thought.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

OK what should the pacers do. Assuming those are the dates that things actually go forward on, this will greatly interfere with Jackson being able play. However I would expect the trial at least to be pushed back. But if it isn't the Pacers need to keep Jax away from the team, we don't need trhe distractions of him being in and out of the lineup and the constant questions from the media.

Judge Patricia Gifford told Jackson not to contact witnesses or others involved in the case. Gifford entered a not guilty plea for the Pacer

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK what should the pacers do. Assuming those are the dates that things actually go forward on, this will greatly interfere with Jackson being able play. However I would expect the trial at least to be pushed back. But if it isn't the Pacers need to keep Jax away from the team, we don't need trhe distractions of him being in and out of the lineup and the constant questions from the media.
    Start Quis, and bring Jack off the bench when available.

Default Jackson and his attorney say he was acting in self-defense.

I love that quote...let me say it again............Jackson and his attorney say he was acting in self-defense.

Yes, being in a fight...walking over to your car to grab your gun and then going back to the fight is certainly self defense....right?

Jesus----all this time I thought self defense meant to protect yourself, not to go after someone and kick their ***. What was I thinking........

Although - I guess you could argue that SJax was defending himself from the car.....too bad there were actions prior to that................

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe played and missed what he needed to miss.

Although, given the mood in Indy, I'd say only lt Jax play the "away" games.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Jackson and his attorney say he was acting in self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU-IU View Post
    I love that quote...let me say it again............Jackson and his attorney say he was acting in self-defense.

Yes, being in a fight...walking over to your car to grab your gun and then going back to the fight is certainly self defense....right?

Jesus----all this time I thought self defense meant to protect yourself, not to go after someone and kick their ***. What was I thinking........

Although - I guess you could argue that SJax was defending himself from the car.....too bad there were actions prior to that................

Jackson's attorney is just doing their job, no matter how absurd it is.

Fingers did 6 years for burglary and some other stuff. His cousin Dino has been arrested multiple times, no mention of any convictions. I read it in the star this morning.

Apparently Jax2 went to get his gun from his car, then went over and kicked Fingers, then fired his gun (I guess to break up the fight? ), then he was run over and fired again.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Who, exactly, was "beating" Fingers? Was it the other Pacers?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It was the friend of Tinsley or Jax who was also charged, I can't think of his name right now.

Nothing I've read indicates that Hunter, Tinsley or Daniels were in anyway involved in the actual fight. Seems like the Artest thing again with Jackson getting into the middle of things, but in this case he went to his car and got his gun.

Another man, who was at the club with the players, Raymel Mattox, was charged with misdemeanor counts of battery, disorderly conduct and marijuana possession, and prosecutors said it was Mattox who started the fight and had the drug

The charges as I understand it was Tinsley's friend Mattox who started the altercation outside with Fingers, and Jackson apparently kicked him after he was on the ground

Why Not Us ?

ima touched on this:

Judge Patricia Gifford told Jackson not to contact witnesses or others involved in the case.
    Gonna be tough to do with Tinsley and Daniels on the same team.

I go back to my original thought that the Pacers should give him a paid leave out of the goodness of their hearts until his legal troubles are behind him.

Don't forget, there's still the possibility of 90 days in jail in Michigan. If the trial lasts a week or so, that gets you to April 15 if the prosecutor up there decides to put him in jail.

We'll see if Jackson can plea it down to a couple of misdemeanors. He'll probably have to wait until after November 7 to do that.

If it does go to trial IMO everyone - including Jackson - is best served if they can get it done quickly. There's nothing complicated about it - you have witnesses, video evidence - it's not like Voyles can spend his time looking for a one-armed man who really fired the shots.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I wonder if Jackson is still, "happy to be alive".

Interesting that Dino is being held on such a high bond.

I wonder what kind of backgrounds Fingers and Dino have?
    This is certainly ironic. A guy who probably cannot possibly afford bail gets $80k and a guy who probably easily carries around his bail bond in his pocket gets $10k. (assuming a bond is 10% of the bail amount).

The difference here I think is that dino used his car to run someone down and succeeded. That and his previous arrests. Jax2's offenses apparently didn't do much harm to anyone (yeah, I've been kicked before), but were more in the irresponsible, reckless category.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Judge Patricia Gifford told Jackson not to contact witnesses or others involved in the case.
    Yeah, how could he play for the Pacers with this stipulation?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Tyson - not guilty
    OJ - not guilty
    Kobe-not guilty
    Jackson - not guilty
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Tyson - not guilty
    OJ - not guilty
    Kobe-not guilty
    Jackson - not guilty
    Not to change the subject, but wasn't Tyson convicted. Patricia Gifford was the judge in that trial too, wasn't she? Not that it is even relevant to this at all. Just thought I'd throw that out as an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Whtwudusay View Post
    Not to change the subject, but wasn't Tyson convicted. Patricia Gifford was the judge in that trial too, wasn't she? Not that it is even relevant to this at all. Just thought I'd throw that out as an FYI.
    Convicted and got a couple of years in prison.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by defense attourney

A group of thugs attacked a group of young men who were there, some of which were members of the Indiana Pacers
    So Tinsley's friend started the whole thing, and the people who he hassled are the "thugs"?

Please let me correct the quote:

A group of thugs fought with another group of thugs, and some of one of the groups of thugs contained members of the Indiana Pacers
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Whtwudusay View Post
    The point I was making is they all entered a not guilty plea.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    The point I was making is they all entered a not guilty plea.
    Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    So Tinsley's friend started the whole thing, and the people who he hassled are the "thugs"?
    If you knew "fingers" like I do you probably would know that he is a "thug".