Thread: Why I'm upset with TPTB

Default Why I'm upset with TPTB

A lot of attention has been focused on Stephen Jackson, and for good reason, but to be honest, I'm more upset with Pacers management over everything that's happened.

Why?

Because I wasn't expecting betrayal and backtracking from them. And now that this has turned into a public relations nightmare, I'm even more upset.

Everyone has heard the comments from Larry, Donnie, and Rick since the end of last season. They've promised more discipline. They've talked about taking charge. They got in front of television cameras and made a promise to the community to do the right things on and off the court.

Fast forward to Friday. No comment from management. Ads are pulled on television stations and websites.

Saturday. No comment.

Sunday. Management acknowledges, after leaving fans in suspense for 48 hours, that a player makes a lapse in judgement. Yet no punishment is offered.

Monday. Jackson is allowed to return to the practice court on Sunday for non-contact drills, and comes back again on Monday.

Tuesday. Jackson practices, and is allowed to address the media. Then Larry offers reason as to why they've been silent. "As an organization we can't have a lot of comments about what happened because we don't know what happened," Bird said. "We don't know the full story."

Media and city responds. Stephen is projected to play in Saturday's game. Even Kravitz writes an article urging us to move on.

Wednesday. Police report becomes public, Jackson admits to kicking a disabled man, is involved in fight (not avoiding), and flashes gun well before shooting it. Now he's being charged and is getting arrested.

Why do I have a problem with this? Because management allowed Jackson to come back to practice, after admittingly not knowing the full story. After no punishment. After allowing other players to publicly support him.

And on top of that, they allowed Jackson to address the media. And now a lot of us are feeling really stupid.

To me, the biggest offense has come from our trusty management team. They have not only repeatedly backfired on their word, but they allowed for this situation to get much messier than it should have, and they've taken the team and city's reputation to the guillotine. Now there's little they can do, and nothing will likely be satisfactory.

Default Re: Why I'm upset with TPTB

So, what should TPTB have done to keep Jax from getting into the situation he is now in.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've almost gotten more and more upset with Bird and Rick than I have at Jackson. I expect Jackson to be a screw up.

God, I think that in the workforce I will value character more than anyone. After all of this ****.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't agree with you more. I've almost gotten more and more upset with Bird and Rick than I have at Jackson. I expect Jackson to be a screw up.

God, I think that in the workforce I will value character more than anyone. After all of this ****.
    OK, I'll ask again, what could they and should they have done. Put him on house arrest

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So, what should TPTB have done to keep Jax from getting into the situation he is now in.
    Well according to Reggie, they need to tell Rick to have harder practices.

Or, they could move practice and have it from 11pm til 2am. That way, they'd know exactly what grown men were doing after midnight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still have not changed my opinion from the other day. It is not TPTB responsibility to babysit our players, who in case anyone has forgotten are grown men.

Why, because he isnít rushing to make a quick, emotion filled response?

Funny, I donít see DW doing that either. You want to know why? Because they are professionals.

It's our jobs as fans to get all emotional and analyze, and counter analyze what the players were doing and why they were doing it.

It is there job, as CEO and President, to wait for all of the facts to arrive before making a statement, and even then there is not much they can say.

The Pacers have already said they are disappointed with the decision the players made, what else do you want them to say? That Jack is a thug and that he brought this franchise down. IF you are expecting that, then you are going to be disappointed for a long time to come, and it wonít be just because of Larry Bird.

UB,

I think he's talking about how TPTB handled things in terms of letting the fans/media know what's going on and how they should have immediately responded. In a lot of high profile professions, the questioanble parties are given a leave of absence pending some facts coming forth: Schollteacher suspected of something, put on leave, Cop suspected of bad shoot, taken off the street, etc.

I'm thinking that after all the tough talk last season, imawhat thinks Jackson should have been at least suspended from being around the team till things sort themselves out a bit.

I agree with him.

You know something was awry. You know guns, alcohol and weed were involved. What happened to the old conduct detrimental to the team clause? Matter of fact, given our swollen roster and it being pre-season, now would have been the PERFECT time to send a message to the fans and team by suspending everyopne there till some solid facts come in.

Instead, the team is allowed to talk to the media, along with Jackson, and give their opinions, etc. Management does a lot of "Um...ah....er...."

And we have a perfect show of talking the talk but not walking the walk.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    UB,

I think he's talking about how TPTB handled things in terms of letting the fans/media know what's going on and how they should have immediately responded. In a lot of high profile professions, the questioanble parties are given a leave of absence pending some facts coming forth: Schollteacher suspected of something, put on leave, Cop suspected of bad shoot, taken off the street, etc.

I'm thinking that after all the tough talk last season, imawhat thinks Jackson should have been at least suspended from being around the team till things sort themselves out a bit.

I agree with him.

You know something was awry. You know guns, alcohol and weed were involved. What happened to the old conduct detrimental to the team clause? Matter of fact, given our swollen roster and it being pre-season, now would have been the PERFECT time to send a message to the fans and team by suspending everyopne there till some solid facts come in.

Instead, the team is allowed to talk to the media, along with Jackson, and give their opinions, etc. Management does a lot of "Um...ah....er...."

And we have a perfect show of talking the talk but not walking the walk.
    OK, I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Banned

The Pacers are BOUND by the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT with the players union. They have procedures they HAVE to follow. Did you see LA management admonishing Kobe and getting into all of that? No. Why? Because they have procedures they HAVE TO FOLLOW.

It aint as simple as many of you want to make it out to be. Did the Pacers come out and say they aint happy about this? Yes. Did they say they are disappointed? Yes. They said what they legally could up to this point.

Morally we want them to come out rip these guys apart. And I am sure they want to. Legally they cant.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    Morally we want them to come out rip these guys apart. And I am sure they want to. Legally they cant.
    That's probably true. But if they can keep Ron away just because he asked for a trade, then they can keep SJax away, too.

They DO have to pay him, that's where the CBA comes into play.

But they can ask him to stay home, with pay, until this is resolved.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Maybe they believed Jackson's side of the story and thought that it was going to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    That's probably true. But if they can keep Ron away just because he asked for a trade, then they can keep SJax away, too.

They DO have to pay him, that's where the CBA comes into play.

But they can ask him to stay home, with pay, until this is resolved.
    Yup!! They have to pay them, they don't have to play them.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

There's some minor detail stuff they might have handled differently but TPTB have been just as screwed by this - if not more - than the fans.

They really tried to re-establish trust in the team and Jackson dumped all over that - you know, from the way he was talking before this went down, that management had a long, hard talk with him during the offseason.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is why they should have moved the guy.

Yet another year look at what we're talking about instead of basketball.

I'm fed up.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

They can't do anything to prevent incidents. I'm upset with how they've handled it.

More importantly, I'm upset that they haven't stood up to their words. Shape up or get out. But even after that, they've given the players and media a chance to look stupid by publicly supporting Stephen prior to "knowing all the facts", and that's something that could've been avoided by management intervention.

Even if they believe his side, the damage this incident has done towards the Pacers/city relationship is almost irrepairable. That alone is grounds for conduct detrimental to the team. Maybe that wasn't enough, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I still have not changed my opinion from the other day. It is not TPTB responsibility to babysit our players, who in case anyone has forgotten are grown men.

It isn't their responsibility by any mean, but they're not free from responsibility. They shipped out their 'character' players and keep the questionable ones. In the locker-room, those guys may've caused trouble, but as citizens they haven't. They said they were going to do away with the nonsense, and went out and made questionable moves.

You forgot: Fired the gun BEFORE being hit by the car.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    A lot of attention has been focused on Stephen Jackson, and for good reason, but to be honest, I'm more upset with Pacers management over everything that's happened.

Why?

Because I wasn't expecting betrayal and backtracking from them. And now that this has turned into a public relations nightmare, I'm even more upset.

Everyone has heard the comments from Larry, Donnie, and Rick since the end of last season. They've promised more discipline. They've talked about taking charge. They got in front of television cameras and made a promise to the community to do the right things on and off the court.

Fast forward to Friday. No comment from management. Ads are pulled on television stations and websites.

Saturday. No comment.

Sunday. Management acknowledges, after leaving fans in suspense for 48 hours, that a player makes a lapse in judgement. Yet no punishment is offered.

Monday. Jackson is allowed to return to the practice court on Sunday for non-contact drills, and comes back again on Monday.

Tuesday. Jackson practices, and is allowed to address the media. Then Larry offers reason as to why they've been silent. "As an organization we can't have a lot of comments about what happened because we don't know what happened," Bird said. "We don't know the full story."

Media and city responds. Stephen is projected to play in Saturday's game. Even Kravitz writes an article urging us to move on.

Wednesday. Police report becomes public, Jackson admits to kicking a disabled man, is involved in fight (not avoiding), and flashes gun well before shooting it. Now he's being charged and is getting arrested.

Why do I have a problem with this? Because management allowed Jackson to come back to practice, after admittingly not knowing the full story. After no punishment. After allowing other players to publicly support him.

And on top of that, they allowed Jackson to address the media. And now a lot of us are feeling really stupid.

To me, the biggest offense has come from our trusty management team. They have not only repeatedly backfired on their word, but they allowed for this situation to get much messier than it should have, and they've taken the team and city's reputation to the guillotine. Now there's little they can do, and nothing will likely be satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post

Why?

Saturday. No comment.

They should both be shown the door. Immediately. Simply disgraceful NON action. To admit in public that they haven't even spoken with the players personally!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? Just boggles the mind.
    COmplete and total incompetence.

OK, I'll ask again, what could they and should they have done. Put him on house arrest
    Ok, lets start with something so basic and simple that a volunteer organization would grasp it.
    YOU TALK TO THE PLAYER AND ASK HIM WHAT HAPPENED.
    Then you go from there.
    They aren't capable of THAT!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Maybe they believed Jackson's side of the story and thought that it was going to go away.
    First they'd have had to ASK him what his side of the story was.

I agree with the premise. I think management has done a poor job of nipping problems in the bud. They allowed Artest to go too far and it's starting to look like Jackson as well. Imagine the behind the scenes turmoil if this is the crap happening out in the public eye. Those closest to the situations ( ie; coaches,players and other Pacer staff & associates) have to see some sort of build up to what has transpired over the last few seasons. Why not eliminate these problems before they become public. Everyone knew Artest was a timebomb, but think of his trade value prior to the brawl. Everyone knows Jackson is a timebomb but compare his trade value last week to now. Not to mention the toll it takes on a team to go thru these situations and in the case of the Pacers multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post

They should both be shown the door. Immediately. Simply disgraceful NON action. To admit in public that they haven't even spoken with the players personally!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? Just boggles the mind.
    COmplete and total incompetence.

In my opinion it's something that should be held without comment until further notice, especially if you're admitting that you don't know the facts. Instead, they admitted to not knowing the facts, announced support and made Stephen out to be the victim, allowed Stephen to return to practice, allowed the players to publicly comment on the situation, and then allowed Stephen to address the media.

The Pacers are proving why you don't comment on something at all until the facts are gathered. Now everyone looks stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    Ok, lets start with something so basic and simple that a volunteer organization would grasp it.
    YOU TALK TO THE PLAYER AND ASK HIM WHAT HAPPENED.
    Then you go from there.
    They aren't capable of THAT!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    UB is talking about what they should've done before the incident happened, not after. If you read his post two posts above that one you'd get that.