Thread: Coming this summer...... The Drafting Game

Default Coming this summer...... The Drafting Game

I've been thinking about doing this for a couple years now but I finally decided to give it a go this summer.

Since it's going to be a little slow in here for about a week & I wanted to get a feel for the responce to the game, I figured I'd throw this out to see what kind of reaction I get.

I don't have all the rules written in stone yet so this is kindda a work in progress type thing. I'll fine tune these as we get closer to the actual start of the game but here is what I have so far.

The idea of the game.....

To draft a 12 player roster of any basketball player you desire. Any player that has ever played the game is eligible. Living or dead, played in the past, is playing now or even a highschooler you might think will be the next big thing.

The start of the game will be August 1st & it will run until it is finished. That means we arn't rushing to get this wrapped up in 2 or 3 weeks. If it takes until the end of September, so be it.

The size of the draft will depend on how many wish to play. Due to the large pool of players to select from I don't want to limit the number of people that would like to join our game.

The draft order will be determined by me. It will be done by a blind drawing, I'll probably have my son pull the names out of a hat or something. The draft order will be the same for all 13 rounds. That 13 is not a typo!

In the 13th round each "team" will select a head coach. The same rule applies here as with the players, any person that has coached anywhere at anytime is eligible.

No delay of game & no *****ing. Just like in the NBA, I don't want to deal with either one. If you want to play, make sure you are ready when your turn comes up. If your playing & someone is a little slow in making a selection, I'll deal with it. I don't wanna hear any whinning!

It's your team, draft who ya like. If you want to draft 12 small forwards go ahead. I would prefer a more balanced team & you might look a little foolish without a hall of fame center & an all star point guard, but hey, who am I to judge?

Any ideas, suggestions or complaints will be considered.

If you think you might be interested in the above game, post your name on this thread.

Thanks

Default Re: Coming this summer...... The Drafting Game

I'm in.

The chance to pit my knowlege against the legenday Jose? Where do I sign up?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would like to play, it sounds like a great idea.

Of course I'm in. I think. I'll might be in Indiana at the time so I might have to pull out.

Questions. Whats the point of the game? Just to see who people draft?

Can you draft a player someone else has drafted?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course I'm in. I think. I'll might be in Indiana at the time so I might have to pull out.

Questions. Whats the point of the game? Just to see who people draft?

Can you draft a player someone else has drafted?

Oooooooooo I'm IN.....do I gitta talk smack about Will, ABA, and Redneck for their stooopid picks. MAN MY guys could play RINGS around anyone they pick!!!

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

One suggestion BEFORE the draft starts...Who are the referees??? IOW what era rules will these teams be judged against. Big dif between the rules Shaq encounters and those imposed on Jabar.

Just a thought.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

After the draft, how do you "play" ?

If I'm around and available when this draft is going on then I'm in.

You knew I wouldn't be able to resist this!

I just hope I get a high pick - I'm afraid my man Hawthorne Wingo won't be available!!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Oooooooooo I'm IN.....do I gitta talk smack about Will, ABA, and Redneck for their stooopid picks. MAN MY guys could play RINGS around anyone they pick!! I LIKE IT!!!!!!!
    HURUMPH!

Picking us out to talk smack about only shows who you fear the most!

<giggle,giggle,snort>

Mood

Oooooooooo I'm IN.....do I gitta talk smack about Will, ABA, and Redneck for their stooopid picks. MAN MY guys could play RINGS around anyone they pick!! I LIKE IT!!!!!!!
    HURUMPH!

<giggle,giggle,snort>

Oh. Indygeezer is sooooo looking forward to teaching you the meaning of the word fear. Geezer's going to elevate it to a whooooole new level. Indygeezer's gonna have you runnin' back home cryin' in shame.

HURUMPH!

<giggle,giggle,snort>

Oh. Indygeezer is sooooo looking forward to teaching you the meaning of the word fear. Geezer's going to elevate it to a whooooole new level. Indygeezer's gonna have you runnin' back home cryin' in shame.
    Uh-oh - another graduate of the "Jalen Rose School of Grammar!"
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

HURUMPH!

<giggle,giggle,snort>

Okay Jalen, what did you do with geezer? Let him go, he keeps the air from stagnating in Indiana.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

I guess I will wait to see how this shapes up but I don't see much fun in it , there is no salary caps , nothing to make it intresting.

If you come up with a way to figure a salary for every player that ever played in an NBA game, let me know.

I just figured a couple dozen of us could select a complete team & then kindda judge who did the best job of putting his team together.

What else ya gonna do this August, watch baseball.

Mood

If you come up with a way to figure a salary for every player that ever played in an NBA game, let me know.

I just figured a couple dozen of us could select a complete team & then kindda judge who did the best job of putting his team together.

What else ya gonna do this August, watch baseball.
    No, I may just spend the next 3-4 mos. staring at the pix to the left in Saucemaster's sig line. (I swear it was larger at first...and in better focus)

sweabs

No, I may just spend the next 3-4 mos. staring at the pix to the left in Saucemaster's sig line. (I swear it was larger at first...and in better focus)
    Ahhhh - how we love the Pacemates.

I'm interested.

I'm not officially declaring myself eligible; I still have to talk this over with my family and friends.

I still don't yet get the point of this-- do we all draft players, and then someone says who got the best picks? Or are they actually competing with one another like a fantasy league?

Hicks

Anyone that wants to play will draft a 12 player roster. No way to set up a fantasy type league for this, it's just something to do during the worst 2 months of the year.

There are a couple ways to vote on the best roster.

1. Set up a poll with every team listed & see who comes out on top.

2. Head to head, kindda like the NCAA's. I could set up a bracket where (for example) my teams goes against yours. We post both teams rosters with a poll asking everyone to vote for which team they think would win. Who ever gets the most votes advances. I like this idea the best but we would need to limit the game to 16 teams.

16 teams with 12 players is just 192 players. The first half should be full of hall of fame players the last few rounds could be interesting.

If we went with a 16 team head to head format there would be a total of 15 games to vote on. We could put a 24 hour window on voting for the first couple rounds then maybe when we get down to the final 4 bump that up to 48 hours.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know that NBA 2k4 (ESPN Basketball) has a set up where you can pit fantasy team against fantasy team with legends and sim games. That might be a little more reallistic of an outcome.

Just a thought
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jose, we could use the whatifsports.com website, and everyone would have to register if they haven't already, but it's free.

I was just looking at it, and if you go to SimMatchup - NBA - My Favorite Teams - Build Your Own NBA Team - and then make sure the 'Public' box is checked, you can make an entire 'dream team' of all the past NBA players.

You're only allowed to create one team with the free membership, but you can use it in a simulation, so if everyone has a team created, we can simulate them in a created tournament, on paper, of whatever style you choose.

It's only 10 players on a team, and I know you said 13, but it's the closest thing out there that will generate stats for a fantasy style simulation game.
    I guess you could still pick a coach, and say if the team won, the coach gets points as well, or something.

Anyway, take a look at it, I'm sure you've seen this site before, but see what you think about using it to simulate your fantasy draft team tournament. It might work out ok, and if you like it, I would be happy to help keep track of the teams, stats, and bracket, if you need it.

OK, I'll play.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

burnzone awesome Idea , if we do that I am in ...but I can't see me wasting my time with the other Idea ( no offense Jose)

Roaming Gnome & Burnzone

I'm not familiar with either site, either one sounds like an improvement over my off the top of my head idea.

We still have about 3 months how about those interested in playing, check out the sites & we'll go with what ever one works best.

This little distraction might turn out to be more fun than I'd thought.

Thanks for the input everyone.