Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers' Jackson 'happy to be alive' (ESPN.com)

Post Pacers' Jackson 'happy to be alive' (ESPN.com)

Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson is "happy to be alive," after being punched in the mouth and hit by a car during a fight at a strip club in which police say he fired a gun in the air.

More...

Default Re: Pacers' Jackson 'happy to be alive' (ESPN.com)

Updated: Oct. 10, 2006, 3:27 PM ET

Pacers' Jackson 'happy to be alive

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson is "happy to be alive," after being punched in the mouth and hit by a car during a fight at a strip club in which police say he fired a gun in the air.

"I want to apologize to my teammates, to the fans and to this organization," Jackson said Tuesday after his first practice since the fight early Friday. "It was a very unfortunate incident. I definitely take responsibility for my action and everything I've done."

Indianapolis police on Tuesday arrested Deon Willford, 23, on felony counts of criminal recklessness and leaving the scene of a personal injury accident and a misdemeanor count of driving without a license for the fight.

Willford drove a car that hit Jackson, sending him tumbling over the hood, said Indianapolis Police spokesman Sgt. Matthew Mount. Police said Jackson fired a gun in the air in apparent self-defense during the fight.

Jackson has stitches in his lip and other scrapes and bruises.

"I'm definitely blessed to be here today," he said in his first public comments since the fight. "I didn't really think I'd be up the next day after I got hit by a car and be walking. But I'm definitely blessed. I'm glad to be on the court. I'm happy to be alive and be able to be with my teammates and my family."

He could be available to play in the Pacers' second preseason game against Utah on Saturday.

Besides Jackson, teammates Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels and Jimmie Hunter were at the club at 3 a.m., police said. Officers said they found a small amount of marijuana in the passenger-side door of point guard Tinsley's car. But no arrests were made because there were three others in Tinsley's car and police could not determine who had the marijuana, authorities said.

The Indianapolis Star reported on Monday that Jackson has had his probation extended one year after he did not complete the terms of the sentence he received for the 2004 brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Oakland County (Mich.) assistant prosecutor John Pietrofesa told the paper that last week's incident had no bearing on his decision because no charges were filed.

Former Pacers star Reggie Miller criticized the players on Monday. The league's all-time leader in 3-point goals went on Dan Patrick's ESPN Radio show and said the actions by the four players were a "punch in the gut" to team CEO Donnie Walsh and president Larry Bird. He also criticized coach Rick Carlisle, saying his training camp hasn't been difficult enough if the players have enough energy to be partying at 3 a.m.

Bird said Tuesday he had no response to Miller's comments.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson is "happy to be alive," after being punched in the mouth and hit by a car during a fight at a strip club in which police say he fired a gun in the air.
    Goodness. If someone had posted this as an imaginary tale one week ago, I'd say its too crazy to be true.

Damn Jacks lip is messed up

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"I want to apologize to my teammates, to the fans and to this organization," Jackson said Tuesday after his first practice since the fight early Friday. "It was a very unfortunate incident. I definitely take responsibility for my action and everything I've done."
    Hmmm... I keep hearing that he hadn't done anything wrong. Why did he apologize, then?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude must have had a ring on or something. Seems like something other than a fist hit him in the center of his upper lip. And you know that it wasn't fingers that him.

Wow, I'm really impressed by his comments. He placed no blame on his assailiants and apologized directly to everyone who counts on him.

Jack > all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Hmmm... I keep hearing that he hadn't done anything wrong. Why did he apologize, then?
    He realizes he put himself in a bad situation. The attack itself warrants no blame to be placed on Jack, but he definitely takes responsibility for his lack of judgment for going to the strip club at 3 AM. Gotta give him credit for that.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do give him credit for that. I'd really like to believe that he says what he means. I think he meant it when he complained about the boo-birds last spring. I think he meant what he said just a few weeks ago, but I don't think he makes very good decisions and I think "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."

Do you blame him for the bad judgment that put him in harm's way at 3am?

Ulitimately, I'm much more concerned about the "weak flesh" than I'm reassured by the "willing spirit."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    He realizes he put himself in a bad situation. The attack itself warrants no blame to be placed on Jack, but he definitely takes responsibility for his lack of judgment for going to the strip club at 3 AM. Gotta give him credit for that.
    Give him credit? I would say that it's only fair he admits that he did something dumb after he did something dumb.

I'd find it strange that the other three won't apologize in the same way Jack did. Unless details of the fight show otherwise, they are as much to blame as Jack, namely for putting themselves in a bad situation.

Btw - Jay, I love your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post

The pope didn't say anything wrong a few weeks ago, but he apologized because his words had given unintended offense.

And , no, I'm not saying Jackson is like the pope.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Give him credit? I would say that it's only fair he admits that he did something dumb after he did something dumb.

I'd find it strange that the other three won't apologize in the same way Jack did. Unless details of the fight show otherwise, they are as much to blame as Jack, namely for putting themselves in a bad situation.
    Apologize for going to a strip club at 3am, is that a crime? They dont have to apologize for ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Apologize for going to a strip club at 3am, is that a crime? They dont have to apologize for ****.
    See the other threads about the incident why some feel that the 4 players were partially in the wrong - because they put themselves in a bad situation.

Do the players therefore "owe us an apology"? Well, admit that they were wrong in the first place is the least they can do IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    See the other threads about the incident why some feel that the 4 players were partially in the wrong - because they put themselves in a bad situation.

Do the players therefore "owe us an apology"? Well, admit that they were wrong in the first place is the least they can do IMO.
    They were not wrong at all, if NBA players need to apologize about going to clubs late at night then 80% of the NBA news conferances would be players apologizing. STOP REACHING

I'm am stunned that he is taking some responsibility for his actions. This is an important development.

I expected him to say "screw the fans, screw the team management's concerns over player image, you can't tell a grown man like me what to do on my time."

Instead we get an apology. He either has had:

1) a good talking to by the powers that be
    2) good advice from agent/ PR advisor
    3) a character transplant

In any event, I feel better about him for having read this.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

They were not wrong at all, if NBA players need to apologize about going to clubs late at night then 80% of the NBA news conferances would be players apologizing. STOP REACHING
    Somehow some of us just ain't convinced that being in a club in the middle of the night on the 1st night of training camp can be called professionalism.
    STOP PREACHING.

Let the man apologize. He is doing the right thing. Let's all move on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    Somehow some of us just ain't convinced that being in a club in the middle of the night on the 1st night of training camp can be called professionalism.
    STOP PREACHING.
    Nah you good.

It's good to see him o.k.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post

Bird said Tuesday he had no response to Miller's comments.
    Bird is disappointing me in this whole matter.

For someone who is one of my top-two all-time favorite players, it is sad for me to see that he is a subpar executive and an ineffective manager of people. He's not showing much leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    Bird is disappointing me in this whole matter.

For someone who is one of my top-two all-time favorite players, it is sad for me to see that he is a subpar executive and an ineffective manager of people. He's not showing much leadership.
    Maybe he simply didn't agree with Reggie, and rather than calling him out and risking any backlash, he just kept quiet. Reggie is the franchise - Bird ain't. If he doesn't agree, why would he even bother saying anything?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Let's all move on now.
    Coming to think of it, that's a great replacement for the "It's up to You" slogan. much more appropriate.

Something tells me that those 80% should indeed apologize for their club actions. Why do they waste our hard worked dollars in a tittybar? Let them give more to charity when they don't know what to do with their/our money?

Thumbs up Re: Pacers' Jackson 'happy to be alive' (ESPN.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    Coming to think of it, that's a great replacement for the "It's up to You" slogan. much more appropriate.