Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Sheed being... Sheed

  1. #1

    Default Sheed being... Sheed

    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061010/SPORTS0102/610100352/1004/SPORTS


    ----


    Wallace cries foul over rule

    NBA has adopted a zero-tolerance policy, meaning antics directed toward officials could bring a quick technical.
    Chris McCosky / The Detroit News



    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- You had to know the Pistons were going to take it personally.
    The NBA, in an attempt to cut down on the incessant complaining by players to officials, has instituted what amounts to a zero-tolerance rule this season.

    Where in the past the referees might look the other way when Rasheed Wallace threw his arms in the air or made some other wild gesture after a questionable call, or when Tayshaun Prince put his hands on his hips and shook his head in disgust after a call, this season, such actions could bring a quick technical.

    "It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace said, shaking his head. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."

    Commissioner David Stern would disagree. Stern has long been fed up with what he perceives as the non-stop histrionics and complaining by players.
    He has instituted a fine system, starting at $5,000, every time a player or coach makes a public criticism of an official. He has stiffened the consequences on multiple technicals -- $1,000 fine for the first five, $1,500 for the next five, $2,000 for the next five then $2,500 for the ones that followed, plus a one-game suspension for every other technical after the 15th.

    "What happens if I am one of the captains?" Wallace asked. "Does that mean I can't talk to them? You can't talk back to them like they're your mom and dad. It's like they're saying, 'If you say something to me I am going to put you on punishment.' That's how it is. I will come up with some way to tell them how I feel."

    Wallace earned 16 technicals last season and a one-game suspension. He could easily double that total.

    "I don't understand it, man, especially for a team like ours," Chauncey Billups said.

    "They know we are a very emotional team. I feel like this is a Pistons rule. It just gives them easier access to have us open up and get emotional and then, boom, they bust our bubble. It's like they are trying to take the emotion out of the game."

    Billups said it will be interesting to see how referees enforce the new edict.

    "I plan on having conversations with all of them," Billups said.

    "I am going to say, 'Come on, you can't take emotion out of the game.' This is an emotional game. There are highs and lows over the course of 48 minutes. If I am not playing good, or if we don't have some stuff going our way, I am going to be frustrated. You can't expect us to not be emotional about that.'

    " 'Now, if I'm cussing you out and I am showing you up for real, then I deserve that tech. If I am not, then it's not right.' "

    Heat coach Pat Riley doesn't think referees are fooling around.

    "They are going to be very conscious of player complaining," he told reporters last week. "That's one of the big things with them. Every call, there's always 10 guys complaining to the officials. They're just telling them to cut it out."

    Riley thinks players will still be able to express their opinions to the officials, but will have to watch their body language and tone of voice.

    "It's how you approach them and how many times you approach them and what you say to them," he said. "They're going to be open, always, to very positive dialogue. But if you come at them and you do things that sort of mock and humiliate them, it's going to be automatic. They're not waiting."

    Prince sees it as another attempt by Stern to control the league's image. It started with the institution of the dress code last season, the automatic technical, ejection and fine for kicking the ball or throwing anything (gum, wristbands, headbands) toward the crowd, and implementation of the fines and suspensions for technicals.

    And all of that, in one way or another, leads back to the brawl at The Palace in 2004. It was from that point Stern vowed to take stronger, more proactive approach toward player conduct on and off the court.

    "The NBA is always going to do something to be more controlling," Prince said. "That's what they're doing. They are taking the fun out of the game, basically."




    ----



    Is Sheed on crack? I remember a game when Sheed started jumping up and down after a call, yelling at a ref, then taking off his headband and repeatedly slapping it on the floor in protest... and they didn't T him up. The guy cries more than a Knicks fan on draft night. What's he complaining about?




    Oh, and assuming Jack is still with us this season, does anyone think this will help "motivate" his quest to be more respectable toward the refs? Just a thought

  2. #2
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy cries more than a Knicks fan on draft night.
    That's just flat-out hillarious. Props.

    As for the issue at hand: it's about time. There were way too many times last year (with Sheed in particular), where the refs just seemed intimidated or too afraid to blow their whistle and blow the technical.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    you could just as easily take out sheed and insert sjax.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Glad to see this rule put into place.

    Refs make mistakes, yes, but once they make a call they aren't going to change it. So players might as well shut up and try and make a play on the next possession.

  5. #5
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    This is good. I'm tired of watching Sheed get away with his toddler-inspired antics, and I'm tired of our own guys wasting their time *****ing to officials and costing the team.

  6. #6
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Whatever I may feel about Jackson, at least he's not Sheed.

  7. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    One one hand, I agree that players should stop *****ing about every little call.

    But on the other, it's funny how fans forget this when THEY disagree with a call.

    I just don't like the hypocracy of it all. Don't criticize a player for calling out a ref for a call, and then go and do the same yourself.

    Either respect the refs or don't. Don't respect them on one call and disrespect them on another. That's all I'm saying.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #8
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever I may feel about Jackson, at least he's not Sheed.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't like the hypocracy of it all. Don't criticize a player for calling out a ref for a call, and then go and do the same yourself.

    Either respect the refs or don't. Don't respect them on one call and disrespect them on another. That's all I'm saying.
    The players have to be held to a higher standard (as many here have been telling us [and telling us, and telling us] since Friday).

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Fans are not paid employyes of the NBA.

    Players are.

    Player are expected to get emotional and boo refs, players acting the same way is immature, and that is putting it nicely. Most player dont simply stop with a "I dont agree with that call, ref"

    This is a good rule, and I hope it is enforced very strictly.

  11. #11
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    I'm glad this is being enforced, call it the crybaby rule.

    As fans we can disagree with a call , and it does not affect the game or the perception of the league.
    However in an effort to reduce one more stigma from the NBA, and that is players whining about calls.
    Sure the other Pro Sports have it to a degree, but fair or not, it's not really magnifiied like it is in the NBA.

    As grown men, there is no reason to be so overly demonstrative, that you "act" as if you can't believe a foul was not called.
    There is nothing worse than a player hanging back to jaw with an official, meanwhile the play moves on and your man glides in for a layup.

    Let the coach get in the ref's ear if need be, he's not on the court. If you want to take an official to the side on the next deadball, to better understand how he is calling a certain part of the game that's entirely different.

    Just don't take yourself out of the game, because you are so preoccupied with a call or two not going your way.

    Why Not Us ?


  12. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    The new theme for next season will be fans complaining that the players SHOULD be yelling at "stern's refs" for "cheating" them out of a game. Guarenteed.

    As I said before, I'm in favor of this rule, but it's not going to make the fans any happier.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  13. #13
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    I'll still get made at the refs, but I can still be happy that the players can stop acting like infants. When I get upset, I post on a message board. When some of them get upset, they yell in a man's ear, or run around a basketball court swinging their arms in a tantrum and cussing in front of a crowd that includes children.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll still get made at the refs, but I can still be happy that the players can stop acting like infants. When I get upset, I post on a message board. When some of them get upset, they yell in a man's ear, or run around a basketball court swinging their arms in a tantrum and cussing in front of a crowd that includes children.
    No, that never happened at Conseco.

    What did he tell us to do? Go home mother f'ers. Right in front of a row of little kids, and loud enough for me to hear on TV


    Back on point, I agree with you. It will be nice to see this grown men act like.....well....grown men. Assuming the rule is enforced, that is

  15. #15
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    You're missing the point that they're grown men paid to play a kid's game....

    The one thing I agree with Sheed on is, It's a very slippery slope when you try to take emotion out of the game.

    It's one thing when you try to take away the complaining, but to try to take away the immidiate emotional reactions? That may affect the overall quality of play. Players will be more afraid of letting themselves go.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #16
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Aww, poor Pistons; the NBA really has it out for them.

    Personally, this is not good because my fantasy league counts techs in the h2h (don't ask why) and... I drafter RON
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  17. #17
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the point that they're grown men paid to play a kid's game....

    The one thing I agree with Sheed on is, It's a very slippery slope when you try to take emotion out of the game.

    It's one thing when you try to take away the complaining, but to try to take away the immidiate emotional reactions? That may affect the overall quality of play. Players will be more afraid of letting themselves go.
    I don't know what's more sad. The fact that you're arguing in favor of Sheed on this issue (in any way), or the fact that I'm responding: They're banning emotional reactions to the whistles and the officials themselves, not emotion in any other way. If you hit a big shot, you can still go ape**** about it.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Haha, it is just Sheed though. I think he really in his heart is a good guy, he's just emotional.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

  19. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha, it is just Sheed though. I think he really in his heart is a good guy, he's just emotional.
    More or less.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #20
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha, it is just Sheed though. I think he really in his heart is a good guy, he's just emotional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More or less.
    That's what can be said of Stephen Jackson, too.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's what can be said of Stephen Jackson, too.
    You're Absolutely Right.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

  22. #22
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    This team is doomed with this rule. Jack, JO, JT, and the Hulk. OH ****

  23. #23

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    I agree witht the rule but you have to make Technicals mean something. The NBA needs to make Technicals count as personals. Players with 4 personals won't say a word.
    2 minutes 2 aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh


  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy02 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree witht the rule but you have to make Technicals mean something. The NBA needs to make Technicals count as personals. Players with 4 personals won't say a word.
    I actually would not have a problem with making a technical a personal. Thats the way it is here in high school

  25. #25
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sheed being... Sheed

    Rasheed is Rasheed is Rasheed.

    His attitude and mouth will never change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •