Thread: Extra year of probation for Jackson {IndyStar}

Default Extra year of probation for Jackson {IndyStar}

Extra year of probation for Jackson

Michigan prosecutor says Pacer has not fulfilled terms of sentence for his part in 2004 brawl

By Mike Wells
    Mike.wells@indystar.com
    October 10, 2006

Stephen Jackson has been given an extra year of probation because he did not complete the terms of his sentence for his part in the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004, an Oakland County (Mich.) assistant prosecutor said Monday.

The Indiana Pacers shooting guard was originally sentenced to one year of probation, 60 hours of community service, fined $250 and ordered to undergo anger management counseling. His probation was scheduled to end Sept. 23, but assistant prosecutor John Pietrofesa said it was extended to Sept. 23, 2007, after Jackson failed to complete all of the conditions of the deal.

"He hadn't satisfied everything he was supposed to do so he is under probation for another year," said Pietrofesa, who did not specify which of the conditions Jackson failed to complete.

Pietrofesa said last week's incident had no bearing on Jackson's probation since no charges have been filed. On Friday morning, Jackson was involved in an incident outside a Westside strip club in which he fired five gunshots into the air after he was hit by a car. Indianapolis police said Jackson, along with three of his teammates, "were victims in this case."

Jackson, who is recovering from injuries suffered during the altercation, is expected to join his teammates at practice today.

"It's going to be a few days before he'll be able to participate in contact drills because he has a lot of stitches in his lips," coach Rick Carlisle said. "The plastic surgeon wants to make sure that those things don't get busted out until they're taken out."

Carlisle said Jackson is "very doubtful" for Wednesday's preseason game against New Jersey at Conseco Fieldhouse.

IndyStar

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Extra year of probation for Jackson {IndyStar}

Maybe he should take more time completing the terms of his probation and less time playing cowboy at 3 am outside of strip clubs. Just a thought.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I mentioned in another thread.......I believe if they wanted they could revoke his probation because he was carrying a firearm while on probation.

Legal minds.......am I right or not?

Where is Vicious Tyrannt on this?????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Extra year of probation for Jackson

Michigan prosecutor says Pacer has not fulfilled terms of sentence for his part in 2004 brawl

By Mike Wells
    Mike.wells@indystar.com
    October 10, 2006

Indianapolis police said Jackson, along with three of his teammates, "were victims in this case."

So this statement by the police means absolutely nothing in your assessment of the situation? You don't think the media has turned the attention from this statement even a little?

Post Arrest in strip club shooting (ESPN.com)

A man was arrested on criminal recklessnesscharges for a fight outside a strip club in which police sayIndiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson fired a gun in the air afterhe was slugged in the mouth and hit by a car.

More...

What did he forget to do? Pay the fine?

This is just stupid.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

This is just stupid.
    This bugs me a lot more than the Rio thing, at least as the evidence stands now in that case. Probation isn't that tough to take care of, especially if you have money. Show up to things, listen to people, put some time in doing community work.

If anything I think it sometimes goes too light on people. There is no good reason for him to have blown this. If he had good reasons for any of it he could have presented it to them and had times/dates adjusted as long as he was putting forth the effort in their mind.

He had already messed this up before he got near Club Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

This is just stupid.

A guess would be that he didn't perform the community service. Just a guess though.

Sort of goes right back to his pattern of making poor judgments/decisions.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jax really needs to find him a good woman and get married so he will have someone to remind him of what is important and needs to get taken care of. It works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I mentioned in another thread.......I believe if they wanted they could revoke his probation because he was carrying a firearm while on probation.

Legal minds.......am I right or not?

Where is Vicious Tyrannt on this?????
    I thought he was OK because the probation had ended. But this changes that... at least somewhat. So, does this mean the probation period never ended or was there a window of time he was off probation?

In any case.... Mistakes do happen so I wouldn't be too quick to judge that it is a fact that he didn't complete the terms of the deal. He might've failed to get credit for some community service time, or some paperwork might've slipped thru the cracks. It happens.

But if in fact he did skip out on his terms...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

In any case.... Mistakes do happen so I wouldn't be too quick to judge that it is a fact that he didn't complete the terms of the deal. He might've failed to get credit for some community service time, or some paperwork might've slipped thru the cracks. It happens.

But if in fact he did skip out on his terms...

-Bball

See I guess Jack is just unlucky, they didn't lose the other guys paper work.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

the whole world is conspiring against our poor innocent Saint Stephen.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK this has me ticked. The club rio thing I can live with. Not fulfilling the terms of probation is another.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacesetter

I feel sorry for Steve. First, he gets punched in the mouth by ET, then Dino runs over him, he then get's interrogated by police. He goes in the next day and surely had to sit through hours of a verbal assault from Walsh & Bird, has a court appearance to make on Wed, and now this.

When it rains it pours!

He should just chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Keep your head up Stevie!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post

Jax really needs to find him a good woman and get married so he will have someone to remind him of what is important and needs to get taken care of. It works for me!
    Actually, he did find one and was about to be married. The story goes that she wouldn't sign a pre nup and he told her to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I thought he was OK because the probation had ended. But this changes that... at least somewhat. So, does this mean the probation period never ended or was there a window of time he was off probation?
    My guess is that because he was on probabtion for misdemeanor assault & battery, rather than felony, it doesn't matter.

Not 100% on that - call it 95%.

If it had been a felony his permit would have been revoked, I believe. Otherwise, unless his probation terms specified it, he should be OK.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Is it over yet?

Can JO now not miss tommorow's preseason game?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter View Post
    I feel sorry for Steve. First, he gets punched in the mouth by ET, then Dino runs over him, he then get's interrogated by police. He goes in the next day and surely had to sit through hours of a verbal assault from Walsh & Bird, has a court appearance to make on Wed, and now this.

When it rains it pours!

He should just chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Keep your head up Stevie!
    Yeah, I feel sorry for him too
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Everyone is going to remember the initial "Michigan prosecutor says Pacer has not fulfilled terms of sentence for his part in 2004 brawl," from October 10.

And now the Star says that:

Jackson's lawyer said the player's probation will be terminated if restitution is resolved in a civil suit brought against him from the brawl in 2004. Jackson's probation has been extended to Sept. 23, 2007.
    Attorney Jim Voyles said William Pawlson, represented by Geoffrey Fieger, has a pending civil suit against Jackson.

"Mr. Jackson's probation would have terminated on Sept. 23, 2006, if not for an issue of restitution," Voyles said. "He has completed community service, he has completed anger management, all fines and costs have been paid. The only issue to be resolved is whether or not any restitution is owed at all."

If this is true, I'm pretty peeved. This civil suit thing is pretty different in my mind when compared to the initial article, which implied that Jack failed to do his community service or something.

Hey, Indy Star - how about we wait until we know what the details are before we report something (in the initial story it was said that prosecutors "did not specify which of the conditions Jackson failed to complete.")? We would have a much better picture of what was going on. As it stands we'll have some people running around thinking one thing and some thinking another.

Now I'm not one of those that thinks Jack is a blameless victim in all of this. I happen to think he has been victimized in some ways and has shown some serious bad judgment in others ways. Like most things in life, it isn't black or white. But this kind of reporting....burns my arse.

Rant off.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Actually, he did find one and was about to be married. The story goes that she wouldn't sign a pre nup and he told her to get lost.
    Looks like holding out for the pre-nup may have cost him even more.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    If it had been a felony his permit would have been revoked, I believe. Otherwise, unless his probation terms specified it, he should be OK.
    As the billboards on buses in Chicago remind us, it's a federal felony for a conviceted felon to be caught with a gun.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macgumerait View Post
    Everyone is going to remember the initial "Michigan prosecutor says Pacer has not fulfilled terms of sentence for his part in 2004 brawl," from October 10.

And now the Star says that:

Jackson's lawyer said the player's probation will be terminated if restitution is resolved in a civil suit brought against him from the brawl in 2004. Jackson's probation has been extended to Sept. 23, 2007.
    Attorney Jim Voyles said William Pawlson, represented by Geoffrey Fieger, has a pending civil suit against Jackson.

"Mr. Jackson's probation would have terminated on Sept. 23, 2006, if not for an issue of restitution," Voyles said. "He has completed community service, he has completed anger management, all fines and costs have been paid. The only issue to be resolved is whether or not any restitution is owed at all."

If this is true, I'm pretty peeved. This civil suit thing is pretty different in my mind when compared to the initial article, which implied that Jack failed to do his community service or something.

Hey, Indy Star - how about we wait until we know what the details are before we report something (in the initial story it was said that prosecutors "did not specify which of the conditions Jackson failed to complete.")? We would have a much better picture of what was going on. As it stands we'll have some people running around thinking one thing and some thinking another.

Now I'm not one of those that thinks Jack is a blameless victim in all of this. I happen to think he has been victimized in some ways and has shown some serious bad judgment in others ways. Like most things in life, it isn't black or white. But this kind of reporting....burns my arse.

Rant off.
    I thought the initial article was clear that he'd performed his community service but hadn't completed all the other terms of his probation.

Of course, maybe we each read different "initial articles."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    I thought the initial article was clear that he'd performed his community service but hadn't completed all the other terms of his probation.

Of course, maybe we each read different "initial articles."
    That's certainly possible! When I said initial article, I meant the one that heads this thread. It says:

The Indiana Pacers shooting guard was originally sentenced to one year of probation, 60 hours of community service, fined $250 and ordered to undergo anger management counseling. His probation was scheduled to end Sept. 23, but assistant prosecutor John Pietrofesa said it was extended to Sept. 23, 2007, after Jackson failed to complete all of the conditions of the deal.

"He hadn't satisfied everything he was supposed to do so he is under probation for another year," said Pietrofesa, who did not specify which of the conditions Jackson failed to complete.

Since there was no mention of the fact that settling the civil suit is a condition of his probation in this article, I think we are left to assume that he flaked on the community service hours, the fine, or the anger management.

What isn't said is just as important as what does get said, remember that, boys and girls!