Thread: Reggie's on Dan Patrick right now......

Default Reggie's on Dan Patrick right now......

Dan's been promoting talking to Reg about Stephen all day........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Default Re: Reggie's on Dan Patrick right now......

Reggie Miller: This is a black cloud for the Pacers, A punch in the gut to Donnie.

Apparently they were not tired enough after practice...

Jackson thinks he's Doc Holiday, from Tombstone
    Halfway jokingly says it a sign of the times, (players today) think they need "street cred".

Has never owned a gun himself.

Doesn't like that other players saying they are standing behind Jackson given the circumstances... They should not be standing behind his actions, as if Jax was in the Wild Wild West..

Tested the new ball last year, didn't hate it but it felt lighter and did have a cheaper feel to it.

That was what I caught... feel free to add if I missed something.

Why Not Us ?

I don't really agree with this "players today" garbage - when you hear that, it's usually some old fogey being overly sentimental.

I wonder if Jackson is just uncomfortable with being a multimillionaire. His roots are not among millionaires and having private parties at places like "Seven", and he maybe he doesn't want to feel like a phony. If so, it's not that he "thinks he needs 'street cred'" so much as that he does and always has identified with people from a less privileged background, and he doesn't want to run from it to "safe" places among a bunch of rich people.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really agree with this "players today" garbage - when you hear that, it's usually some old fogey being overly sentimental.

I wonder if Jackson is just uncomfortable with being a multimillionaire. His roots are not among millionaires and having private parties at places like "Seven", and he maybe he doesn't want to feel like a phony. If so, it's not that he "thinks he needs 'street cred'" so much as that he does and always has identified with people from a less privileged background, and he doesn't want to run from it to "safe" places among a bunch of rich people.
    I really agree with this post. I hadn't really given that much thought, but I really think you are correct.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm very encouraged to hear about Reggie's comments.

Sure makes sense to me.

I was sort of dumbfounded myself by the players' comments. I'm glad to hear that Reggie felt the same way.

I wonder how Reggie has stayed alive all these years without a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Sure makes sense to me.

I was sort of dumbfounded myself by the players' comments. I'm glad to hear that Reggie felt the same way.

Just because he didn't have one doesn't mean he might not have needed one, this is the guy whose house got burned down by some *******. But I suppose if he had been killed in that fire it would have been his fault for being there.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Sure makes sense to me.

Reggie has class and intelligence. That's why he never had these types of problems. He is a bit rough on Jack, but there is more truth to his statements than not...and the truth can hurt.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post

This is a very good point, and its not just something Jack is dealing with or even black players from poor backgrounds. Lots of stars have trouble dealing with a lifestyle that is so alien to their own background, and while plenty of people dream of getting into the Gucci life that doesn't mean they'd be good at it.

Funny thing is that normally when stars hang at regular joe places they are men of the people. We lived in Pittsburgh in the 70's and fans loved that the Steelers and Pirates could often be found hanging at some local bar with the "guys".

Of course the nature of being in those places is that they might get rough at times, but again there was a certain admiration for men that hadn't become too effete to hang with that atmosphere.

Reggie was the ultimate professional and he knows from playing with these guys that they lack it utterly and hates to see what they have done to the P's reputation the last few years.
    If you leave the strip club and 3am, have to answer to the police, drive home, you aren't getting to bed until at least 5am. Nobody can practice well on that amt. of sleep.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

He's got to be a little sarcastic or at least motivational with some of these statements. I always thought that Reggie and Jax were cool, unless he's just temporarily second guessing Jax until more facts come in or something. If he is serious, I think he may have crossed the line of being a supportive former franchise player and being a PTI guest. Does anybody else have any info to add because Reg is always purposeful in his statements, especially if the situation is serious.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Reggie has been quoted many times as saying Artest wasn't the only problem.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I heard part of this interchange on the local news (WTHR). I think at least part of Reggie's motivation in these comments is saying what he thinks Dan Patrick and a national audience wants to hear. That may or may not be what he would have done had it been one of his teammates.

He has every right to his opinion. I can understand his frustration. I'm not sure he'd have been as quick to come out and condemn a teammate at this point with information potentially still coming out and before the season had even started.

I loved Reggie as a player but he's also the guy that nailed Cheryl Swoopes on national TV for not taking care of her infant child upon a camera shot of her then husband taking care of the child in the stands. He gets a lot more outspoken as a national broadcaster and sometime I think he's pushing his case for a gig on a PTI type show.

I'm interested to hear if anything else comes out of this eye witness report of ten guys fighting in the parking lot.

Gervin2Granger

What is Dan Patrick's problem in interviewing. After hearing many of you guys voice in on my Q&A with Reggie and being extremely pleased at the feedback I recieved from all of you, but was still weary at the being better than Patrick comment. However I just finished listening to the interview with Reggie on ESPN-Insider and noticed how Patrick basically is as bad as Oprah. He is constantly putting his own opinions into his interviews and asking questions that have already been asked in countless interviews with athletes. I just thought the interview was very poorly done. Especially when Patrick would just ask Reggie what was on his mind. I don't know about you guys, but I hear enough about A-Rod from baseball analysts. I like Reggie a lot and probabaly more than alot of people, but as far as I'm concerned his opinions on baseball are as valid as Ken Griffey Jr's would be on Hockey.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Dan Patrick is a celebrity too, so his show is as much about him spouting off as it is the guests he's "interviewing."

Like Jim Rome, who *could* ask some really good questions. Or could just go off on whatever tangent he wanted.

Your questions really were well-thought-out. Not sure I posted that in your thread because I didn't want be just another "I agree" but its true.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you