Thread: Harrington finds shooting touch

Post Harrington finds shooting touch

The numbers speak for themselves -- and their tone of voice has become so much more pleasant.Comment

More...

Default Re: Harrington finds shooting touch

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/610090406

October 9, 2006

pacers training camp
    Harrington finds shooting touch
    October 9, 2006

The numbers speak for themselves -- and their tone of voice has become so much more pleasant.

Al Harrington hit just 24 percent of his 3-point shots through his first seven NBA seasons, six of which came during his first stint with the Indiana Pacers.

He hit 34.5 percent last season in Atlanta, however, and appears to have made the shot a fixture in his repertoire.

Harrington hit his first three 3-point shots before missing his final attempt in the Indiana Pacers' public intrasquad scrimmage Sunday at Conseco Fieldhouse. The shots came routinely, as if he'd been hitting them all his life.

Hardly. Harrington used no shot doctor to improve his shooting; he merely went into the gym and made himself better.

"Just putting time in," Harrington said. "At some point, I was going to have to shoot the ball good, as many shots as I put up."

Harrington, who returned to the Pacers in an offseason trade after playing the past two seasons in Atlanta, was the standout player Sunday, which ended in a 39-39 tie. Team executives also have been quietly pleased with his play in training camp, noting a much more complete and mature player than the one who left the Pacers after the 2003-04 season.

Harrington has been playing center in camp, but that designation is more a formality than an indication of how he'll be used in the offense.

"What (power forward or center) is going to be able to guard a guy 6-9, 250 pounds who can put the ball on the floor?" O'Neal asked.

Or hit 3-pointers, for that matter.

Jackson drops in

Stephen Jackson, who is recovering from injuries suffered during an incident at a local club early Friday morning, worked out at the Fieldhouse on Sunday but did not stay for the Fan Jam.

Jackson has had the support of his teammates since he was punched in the mouth and struck by a car outside Club Rio. O'Neal, however, acknowledged the damage Jackson's image has suffered the past two years since the brawl with Pistons fans in 2004 at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

"We talked about it for quite a while at his house the other night. You can't have situations come up that are going to alter your life," O'Neal said.

White replaces Jackson

With Jackson out, rookie James White got the call at shooting guard with the projected starters on the White team.

The second-round draft pick has played well in camp, according to numerous observers.

"You can tell he's been in college five years," Harrington said. "He lets the game come to him; he doesn't force anything. He's never out of control. He's just solid all across the board."

White played point guard, shooting guard and small forward in summer league play, but has been used exclusively at shooting guard in camp.

"I'm pleased," he said. "I learn something new every day."

Getting to know Rawle Marshall

Position:
    Small forward.
    Jersey number: 2.
    Height, weight: 6-7, 190.
    Hometown: Georgetown, Guyana.
    College: Oakland University.
    Pro tenure: Played 23 games, starting nine, for Dallas as a rookie last season.

Question: You were born in Guyana, in South America, then moved to the U.S. when you were 4. Do you have any memories of your home country?

Answer: I don't remember anything. My brothers and a couple other family members go back all the time. They tell me how wonderful it is. Hopefully one of these upcoming summers I'll be able to go back.

Q: Do you have relatives back there?

A: My daddy's still there, and I probably have brothers and sisters on his side. Some of my aunts and uncles and cousins are still there.

Q: Not many NBA players ran cross country in high school like you did. Were you good?

A: I was really good. I was all-city and we made it to regional events and all that. They were mad when I told them I wasn't going to go out my senior year, but I wanted to put on weight for basketball. The principal, everybody, tried to get me to run.

Q: Did you enjoy distance running?

A: You know what, I did. I was always coming in first, and when you're a high school kid, if you're successful at something, you want to keep doing it. I only weighed about 150 pounds then, so I was built for it.

-- Mark Montieth

Glad to hear Harrington's comments on James White.

From the title of the thread and our team's make-up,

I was thinking that this story would be about Al taking his newest collection of handguns to a shooting range and having a good run.

"We talked about it for quite a while at his house the other night. You can't have situations come up that are going to alter your life," O'Neal said.
    Time for the Jackson apologists to step up and bash Jermaine for saying something wrong about their favorite "innocent victim"
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    White replaces Jackson

With Jackson out, rookie James White got the call at shooting guard with the projected starters on the White team.

The second-round draft pick has played well in camp, according to numerous observers.

"You can tell he's been in college five years," Harrington said. "He lets the game come to him; he doesn't force anything. He's never out of control. He's just solid all across the board."

White played point guard, shooting guard and small forward in summer league play, but has been used exclusively at shooting guard in camp.

"I'm pleased," he said. "I learn something new every day."
    Wow, that's nice.

Still wouldn't have minded somebody else for our first-round pick, but I'm not going to complain.

Did White seem to have decent 3-point range?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

hmm, so are we to assume that WHite is going to get the backup shooting guard minutes and Quis will be getting a mixture of minutes at the 1 and 3? I find it interesting Quis was not plugged in as the starting 2.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm guessing that Quis normally would have started last night.

But, because of his involvement in the incident, they started White instead.

It would correspond to TPTB shuttling Jax out of the Fieldhouse before FanJam started.

It may also explain various reports that Quis seemed down or grouchy or whatever.

I that White was promoted from third string to start in order to keep the second unit together--the way that Saras started over AJ last year.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'm guessing that Quis normally would have started last night.

But, because of his involvement in the incident, they started White instead.

It would correspond to TPTB shuttling Jax out of the Fieldhouse before FanJam started.

It may also explain various reports that Quis seemed down or grouchy or whatever.
    Um, no. Quis couldn't start with the White team because he was on the the Blue team - and he wasn't grouchy.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Exactly. This was an intrasquad scrimmage. Daniels started for one team, and White started for the other.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How can you know that Quis was grouchy? We've really not seen him, in a prolonged time, so who's to say what his personality is like, and that it was different?

Not saying he wasn't but does anyone feel like they already have a good read on the type of person he is?

Pacesetter

Al's bringin the mojo! Gotta love having one of Indy's favorite sons back in town to get on with the business at hand!

Man it's good to be a Pacer's fan! Go Al!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wow, that's nice.

Still wouldn't have minded somebody else for our first-round pick, but I'm not going to complain.

Did White seem to have decent 3-point range?
    No.

He was working it during warmups but it didn't look like Reggie, Peja or even Jack at this point. No worries, he wasn't brought in as a 3pt threat. I said after the summer games that he was clearly the most poised player out there. Among real vets that was no longer true, but he did play like he fit and understood the game and situations.

White is going to be a solid role player pretty quickly it would seem. Shawne is going to take a few years, but they knew that when they drafted him.

Also, Daniels was facing Granger most of the time, not White. MARSHALL was on White. I think one of the photos I posted from early in the game even shows Marshall flailing after coming off a screen while chasing White. So Daniels was playing at the #2 SF.

I said Daniels looked grumpy. It might be how he always carries himself, but to me it seemed like he was uptight about the other night or maybe worried about the fan reaction. His comments after the fact didn't give off that sense however. Maybe that's just his game face period, I don't really know and I wouldn't suggest that I did. I just expected to see the smile he flashed in pre-season photos. Instead he looked like he just left the Rio scene 20 minutes earlier.