Thread: Ainge gives Carroll the boot as interim coach in Boston

Default Ainge gives Carroll the boot as interim coach in Boston

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...celtics_coach/

not surprising at all, really.

Ainge: Carroll out as Celtics' coach
    By Jimmy Golen, Associated Press Writer | April 26, 2004

WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Boston Celtics announced Monday that interim coach John Carroll, who took over a team in turmoil and guided it to the briefest of playoff appearances, will not be back as coach next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
    ADVERTISEMENT

Under Carroll, the Celtics went 14-22 to finish the regular season 10 games below .500, but they were able to eke out the last postseason berth in the Eastern Conference. They were swept from the first round by the Indiana Pacers.

The playoff appearance was a mixed blessing for Boston and its basketball boss, Danny Ainge, who had said the team would be better off taking its chances in the draft lottery. Ainge did not attend the Celtics' first home playoff game on Friday night, choosing instead a scouting trip to Europe.

Ainge has said he is in no hurry to make a decision about a new coach.

Carroll was the head coach at Duquesne from 1989-95 and a longtime Celtics assistant who took over when Jim O'Brien resigned over philosophical differences with Ainge. Although the Celtics made the Eastern Conference finals and semifinals in the previous two years, Ainge traded star Antoine Walker and O'Brien favorites like Eric Williams and Tony Battie.

The moves netted injured big man Raef Lafrentz and the defensively challenged Ricky Davis, among others, and made it difficult for O'Brien to implement his disciplined, defensive style. O'Brien resigned on Jan. 27; the Philadelphia 76ers hired him to be their head coach last week (4/20).

Carroll took over a team that was nearly .500 and second in the Atlantic Division and lost 12 of the first 13 games. The Celtics turned things around in time to salvage a playoff spot.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

sweabs

Default Re: Ainge gives Carroll the boot as interim coach in Boston

Just a matter of time...but that was quick!

Ainge should give himself the boot.

Ainge should give himself the boot.
    I'm assuming you now have a new assistant coach named John Carroll in Philadelphia, unless O'Brien and Carroll have issues with O'Brien resigning and Carroll staying in Boston.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

NewYawk

Danny Ainge is making a lot of enemies really, really fast.

Gotta laugh at Ainge. He's the only GM who Scott Layden compares favorably with.

Has he made a good move yet?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Yep staying out of Boston for the final two home games
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep staying out of Boston for the final two home games

I thought he was there for the last one.

IMO Carroll's fate was sealed when he failed to deliver the lottery and stumbled instead into the playoffs. That was not in the script.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those who are clueless on why ainge wasn't around for some of the later boston games , he was scouting talent in Europe. Carroll's firing was no suprise it was pretty much know he was going to be fired after the celtics finished playing this year.

Gotta laugh at Ainge. He's the only GM who Scott Layden compares favorably with.

I thought the Walker move was OK. He should have gotten more, but there was some addition by subtraction. Adding Antoine only made the Mavericks 8 games worse, even with 6th man Antawn Jameson.

The Celtics were also 8 games worse, but that was mostly the Ricky Davis fiasco leading to O'Brien's firing.

If I'm a betting man, if Ainge had stopped at the Walker trade, they would have won about 41 or 42 games, in the ballpark of last year. Given the Raef injury and the Vin Baker relapse, they would not have been that much different from last year. Losing Eric Williams and Tony Battie left them heartless.