Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Pierce for Al Harrington?

Default Paul Pierce for Al Harrington?

I apologize for mentioning this during the playoffs.

But today Chad Ford, ESPN Insider, mentioned that there is a possibility the Celts might look to trade Paul Pierce, and he mentioned AL Harrington or Zack Randolph as possible players he could be traded for.

No he did not say that any discussions what-so-ever have taken place.

Interesting idea

Default Re: Paul Pierce for Al Harrington?

So Pierce coming off the bench??? Has it already come to that for him?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the P's perspective...PP for Randolph??? I do it in a New York minute.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Pierce would be the starting 2-guard, once we win the title and Reggie retires.

Not a possibility that gets me excited.

And if Ainge did this, he would be run out of town for sure.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Pierce would be the starting 2-guard, once we win the title and Reggie retires.

Not a possibility that gets me excited.

And if Ainge did this, he would be run out of town for sure.

How long do you suppose AInge has before he gets run?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Well, I think he has until after next season. If they are not a 0.500 team, he will be in trouble.

Of course he keeps saying stupid stuff, like that he expected to win as many games this year as last year, and when that became impossible, that he expects to win as many next year as last year.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Banned

Paul Pierce has never demonstrated that he puts TEAM ahead of SELF. I believe he'd be a disruption to the excellent team chemistry that the Pacers have right now.

Don't do it, Pacers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be a little surprised if Portland traded Randoph for Pierce. Portland does need a 2 guard though, so maybe they'd offer a package of Abdur-Rahim (who WILL be traded this offseason) and something else (Derek Anderson? Damon Stoudamire?) for Pierce.

Randolph ain't going anywhere.

Ainge would love to get Abdur-Rahim, but Pierce would be a little too much to give. Draft picks could balance it out some.

No thanks.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

One of the problems with a trade like this is the salaries don't match.

Al makes less than half what Pierce makes, so others have to be in the deal.

I don't see the Pacers trading for any player who makes a max salary; With JO already on board, team salaries get strangled with two max salaries on the roster.

Mindreader!!!!

I ran PP for Al trades on RealGM this morning.

The bad thing is PP makes so much that we pretty much have to include Croshere to make it work. Al and Austin for Paul and Jermaine Jones works.

Austin had a good series against them, when he played that is. Doubt it was good enough to make them want him despite his contract, though.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

uhh sorry, but there are more footangels then just the salaries.

A. do you really want him on this team?
    B. what does he bring that is not already on this team or ready to develop on this team? (for WAY less)
    C.Do you really think he is willing to play 3d or lower fiddle?

in short: NO NO NO

not now, not ever NEVER

<shiver>
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Paul Pierce would be devastating on this team, but like has been said he makes the max. If I'm gonna pay someone else the max it has to be McGrady.

However, I wouldn't trade for either because they make so much money. This team is going to continue to get better with experience so I would give the money to our own players when their contracts come up.

diego

OK. Come on guys, can you imagine a lineup with JO, Ron, Tins, And Pierce. OMG!!! You would be able to score and defend at every position.

I know some talk of chemistry here, but anytime, and I mean anytime you can put 3 20ppg players in your starting lineup, all playing their NATURAL positions, then it is a nobrainer.

It is funny, we complained all year becauuse we needed better outside shooting, and when i mention Artest as a possible replacement to reggie, most say no way, he cant shoot that well. And now we are talking Freddie, who yes, has improved his shooting, but do you really think over an entire season starting, his % will look that good and that the defense will fear his 3 point shot. NO WAY. I love Freddie and think he is the perfect back up SG, or starter for a team that doesnt need points from that position.

So point being, if you tell me the starters next year could be Foster, JO, Artest, Tinsley, and Pierce....in a heartbeat. Not to mention Pierce is no slouch on defense either, definitely an upgrade over Reggie.

Portland would be stupid to trade a legitimate big man who seems to have a boatload of unexplored talent, especially since they play in the "bigger-bodied" western conference..

I think Pierce could be molded by a coach/management so if they were serious about sending him to the pacer enough I'd do that trade maybe.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I apologize for mentioning this during the playoffs.

But today Chad Ford, ESPN Insider, mentioned that there is a possibility the Celts might look to trade Paul Pierce, and he mentioned AL Harrington or Zack Randolph as possible players he could be traded for.

No he did not say that any discussions what-so-ever have taken place.

Interesting idea
    I think it's a great idea! I mean realistically this Pacer squad is NEVER going to win 61 games or even get out of the first round of the playoffs. I say trade Al AND JO. Are there any takers for Artest while we're at it. Bird, Walsh and Carlisle really need to evaluate this team and figure out how to rebuild this disastrous team.

OK now back to reality - this team needs Al Harrington more than it needs Paul Pierce. One of the main reasons for this is that Al is one of JO and Bender's best friends and they are great for team chemistry. These 3 seem to form a nucleus that keeps this team flowing and takes the pressure off. Another reason is that Al has shown improvement this year. He has elevated his game even more during the playoffs, which is very important imo. The next reason I'll give is that Al is a MUCH better defender than Pierce is. This team is successful because of defense, not offense. The last reason is actually 2 - Jones and Bender. One of these guys can/will step into the SG spot when Reggie retires. They've made great strides this year, especially Freddie. He has gained confidence and he has become this teams 2nd best perimeter defender.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

sweabs

I agree with you fwpacerfan, I would love to keep Harrington on this squad - but after this year do you think he will be content coming off the bench as a 6th man? He is averaging a double-double in playoffs thus far, and is only starting to play up to his potential. Teams are going to want this talented young uprising star, and will be offering him A STARTING ROLE - which I gather he will not turn down. Therefore, I think the Pacers will have to get the best in return for him - and Pierce certainly isn't shabby (if that trade was in fact offered).

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess my only thought here is that if we can't give Al the minutes and salary to be happy on the team, how the h**l would we do so with Paul Pierce? We might be able to give him the starting position at 2 but we sure as shooting can't pay him the max.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

sweabs

I guess my only thought here is that if we can't give Al the minutes and salary to be happy on the team, how the h**l would we do so with Paul Pierce? We might be able to give him the starting position at 2 but we sure as shooting can't pay him the max.
    Which is why I don't think this trade is realistic...

diego

Well thi swould all depend on what Reggie did. But if reg is no loner here there would plenty of minutes at the SG for Pierce. He would start. Freddie would be his back up, and Bender would take over as 6th man, mainly subbing for both Ron and JO. I dont see where this is unrealisitic. Not to mention if needed, Pierce could play the SF position as well.

I am sorry, i love Freddie, but he is not starting caliber, IMO. He is an excellent back up and role player, but is not a starter, especially when paired with a non scoring point guard. Freddie is a great guy to have because he will play whatever is needed and will do what is asked. he is a great role player.

I am not saying this trade is realistic...but again if you can get 3 20ppg scorers at their natural positions....all with good defensive skills, NO BRAINER.

As far as us needing AL more than PP, how do you figure that. We still have Bender, and if you look at Pierce's numbers, he is a great rebounder for a SG. Not to mention AL is still very inconsistent. AL is one of my favorite players and i would hate to lose him, but i am sorry he is not in PP's league IMO. Just trying not to be a homer here.

diego

I will also throw this out....

How many here thought Rasheed would not be a good fit chemistry wise and defensively for the Pistons when they made that trade. Dont lie because i rememeber reading the posts. fact is it made them significantly better as i feel adding a Paul pierce would do to us.

Rasheed provided scoring and inside presence for them which they needed. PP would provide outside shooting and the ability to create own shot from the guard spot which are our biggest weaknesses.

sweabs

I will also throw this out....

How many here thought Rasheed would not be a good fit chemistry wise and defensively for the Pistons when they made that trade. Dont lie because i rememeber reading the posts. fact is it made them significantly better as i feel adding a Paul pierce would do to us.

Rasheed provided scoring and inside presence for them which they needed. PP would provide outside shooting and the ability to create own shot from the guard spot which are our biggest weaknesses.
    I don't think anyone is denying the fact that Pierce would make us better - but the money becomes an issue.

Mood

I think anyone who wouldn't give up Al straight up for Pierce is nuts.

The man is selfish because he's far and above their best player and scorer. He'd help make a three-headed monster here with JO and Ron.

If you can make a trade that gives you THREE border-line superstars in your starting lineup, you do it.

We'd be the only team in the league with both arguably the best defender AND scorer in the game.

Pierce goes to FT line about 10 times a GAME when he doesn't have Ron on him, which would never happen here for obvious reasons.

He has range all over the floor, and would do well in Rick's system that's about taking good shots, which would probably up his %s a bit.

He can score by shooting and attacking. We'd probably average high 90s in ppg and still hold teams to mid 80sppg.

I don't think anyone is denying the fact that Pierce would make us better -but the money becomes an issue.
    Al/Pollard for Pierce works salary-wise. OK, I know, they probably wouldn't take Pollard. But let's say, hypothetically, they offered this trade...who wouldn't do this? Pollard rarely plays, yet we pay him just a little less than Al. So really, if we did the trade, we could get the same amount if not more production from Pierce than we would with Pollard and Al combined...and still pay the same price.

I think that if J.O could see the good in the trade and agreed with it, then I say we should do it.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Well I was reading some celetic forums and if ainge doesn't axe pierce the fans would like to see pierce get peddled off. The Trade I think it would be a fair trade but you gott add another person besides al before the trade would work for the celtics and ourselves and I don't think AL's value is enough to warrant a 1 on 1 trade.

I think as we advance in the playoffs people will see our weakness is our backcourt scoring we aren't a jumpshooting team and when were forced to play as one we do rather poor , all a team has to do too beat the pacers is play defence on the front 3 and put all the wieght on the backcourts shoulders.

Freddie is not ready to be a starting SG , Artest at SG is insane to think after looking at some stats , we need a point producing sg that can play decent defense and give us back court scoring strength. I am not saying Pierce is the perfect fit for us but I am tired of hearing about chemisty when we need consistancy and yes chemistry is great and it helps alot but with good consistancy comes that chemistry.