Thread: Is Harrison Ready To Avoid Foul Play? {Pacers.com 10.5.06}

Question Is Harrison Ready To Avoid Foul Play? {Pacers.com 10.5.06}

Is Harrison Ready To Avoid Foul Play?

Brought back this picture for giggles

Thursday, Oct. 5, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. I have been a big fan of David Harrison. I heard Slick Leonard or some other announcer say that he is one of the strongest players in the NBA. We all know about his Achilles heal – foul trouble. I am not sure whether his foul troubles are the result of a lack of respect because he is still relatively young, or because he complains a lot.

Regardless, if Harrison can overcome the foul troubles, can we expect a lot of minutes and perhaps a surprise year from him? (From Andy in Franklin, Ind.)

A. Amid all the discussion of the offseason conditioning work done by guys like Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley – and their transformations have indeed been impressive – perhaps the most encouraging summer was turned in by Harrison, who reported for the first day of camp carrying a chiseled 265 pounds.

That's right, I said it, and I'll say it again: David Harrison looks chiseled. And that is a major, major development. This is a guy, after all, who has spent more time over 300 than John Force.

After the promise of his rookie season, Harrison was largely frustrated last year. His role never evolved as hoped in part because of the constant foul trouble, but also because of deficiencies as a rebounder and post defender. His emotions often ran unchecked, compounding the problems. There's no question he has developed a reputation with officials as a fouler and that's something he'll have to work to overcome.

Cutting down on the complaints and technical fouls would be a big help. Carrying less weight, however, could be the domino that starts things going in his direction, once and for all.

Though it has been speculated Harrison could be left behind by a more up-tempo system, he actually runs very well for a player of his size and has deceptive overall athleticism, so he could fit quite nicely.

With Scot Pollard now in Cleveland, the Pacers need Harrison to become more of a complete player capable of banging with the big bodies at both ends. The coaches know he can score and block shots, and that's a good start. But he needs to do those other things, the little things, to hold down a regular spot in the rotation.

The team probably will rely predominantly on a smaller lineup lacking a true center, moving former starter Jeff Foster to the bench, which would appear to limit Harrison's opportunities.

But if the combination of better conditioning, less weight and more maturity are intangibles that enable Harrison to begin fulfilling his vast potential, you can trust the coaching staff will find a way to make use of a 7-footer with a rare combination of skills.

Pacers.com

Why Not Us ?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Is Harrison Ready To Avoid Foul Play? {Pacers.com 10.5.06}

If someone saw Dave's true Hulk face when he really is losing it and going off they wouldn't let him near children like that.

His fouls problems are by far his worst trait, moreso than the temper even. Some of it is bum calls, but a lot of it has to do with using his hands on defense instead of his feet. He's young enough to still have it click, and doing so would be a huge jump in his game. He'd immediately become a 32-35 mpg player.

Any serious Pacers fan has to be crossing their fingers for that. But for now its just another in a long list of "I'll believe it when I see it" items.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep. The maddening thing is that there's no reason for him to even use his hands. He'd get position, he'd get leverage, and then he'd get greedy and go for even more leverage with his hands.

If we tied his hands together behind his back and let him play that way he'd actually be a better defender than Jeff Foster.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. The maddening thing is that there's no reason for him to even use his hands. He'd get position, he'd get leverage, and then he'd get greedy and go for even more leverage with his hands.

If we tied his hands together behind his back and let him play that way he'd actually be a better defender than Jeff Foster.
    That's REALLY out there. Jeff is a very good defender.

There are so many turn arounds that could make this a great season. Maybe David is now committed as a basketball player. Many of us agree on one thing though, he has to be allowed to play through the fouls. He will learn that way. If he fouls out in 12 minutes, so be it. I don't want him on the bench at the end of the game with 3 fouls to give.

Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    If someone saw Dave's true Hulk face when he really is losing it and going off they wouldn't let him near children like that.

His fouls problems are by far his worst trait, moreso than the temper even. Some of it is bum calls, but a lot of it has to do with using his hands on defense instead of his feet. He's young enough to still have it click, and doing so would be a huge jump in his game. He'd immediately become a 32-35 mpg player.

Any serious Pacers fan has to be crossing their fingers for that. But for now its just another in a long list of "I'll believe it when I see it" items.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think he improved greatly as the season went on it terms of fouls. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I can definitely recall less and less "unneccessary" fouls as the season went along (a lot less jumping into his opponents, hand usage, etc.). I don't know, but it seemed to me like he's getting close to where he needs to be.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    That's REALLY out there. Jeff is a very good defender.
    Only at fronting the post. You put him into a traditional man-to-man post defense and he gives up position before the pass and then gets run over afterwords.

And he's not a weakside shotblocker either.

Yes, be bugs Garnett and Duncan when he fronts them. For a few possessions. Then they adjust and its light's out and lob-to-layup time for Kevin and Tim.

David, if he'd just stop using his hands, already forces guys to get the ball where they don't want it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

You see the kid standing behind the kid shooting?

He's like, "Oh, f___ this"

If David has to compete with Jeff on the back-up center minutes, it might destabilize both of them. Kind of what happened last year with PGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Is anyone on this team going to get 32-35 mpg?

The Pacers ought to petition the league to expand games from 48 minutes to 72 minutes so they can take advantage of all this depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    If David has to compete with Jeff on the back-up center minutes, it might destabilize both of them. Kind of what happened last year with PGs.
    We'll see how the season plays out. As it stands right now, this is a great problem to have. You have to factor in injuries which usually decimate our front court and such as well, however. Also, some matchups will be better for Hulk but you gotta love Jeff as that first big man off the bench. That's the role I think he was meant to play.