Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying into it or not?

Default Buying into it or not?

Based on today's story in the Star and information leading up to it, I was just curious if you are buying into the "new" Pacer attitude. All the right things have been said and on the surface all the right things have been done. Today's story was actually a very good one although it did seem to kind of direct us toward lower expectations.

I find myself actually looking forward to the new season. What do you all think?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Buying into it or not?

My dad and I renewed our season tix for three more years. We drank the kool aid after Al signed and I haven't stopped sipping. If nothing else this team will be exciting again and we have young players that will hopefully play because they love the game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think, with every passing day, every new article, all the new quotes, I'm buying into it more and more. While I'm not 100% convinced of new attitudes, I'm really excited about the up-coming season.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

This is the strangest offseason for me. From about 94-2000 I was always excited and I knew I could expect great things. Prior to that I was a little bit too young to know enough about the team to have real "expectations". After 2000 I understood that we were in a re-building period and I just looked forward to watching the team play. With that said, I was very unhappy because I couldn't stand Isiah as our coach and I disliked Jalen very much. After we traded Jalen I got much more exicted and I felt very good going into the 03 playoffs. When we got beat by Boston I was extremely depressed, as much so as after the 98 season when we lost to the bulls and the 2000 finals. I know that may seem strange but I really thought that team had the championship parts. I hit a wall with my pacers loyalty. I just didn't think I could stand another season of Isiah and I was thrilled with the way the offseason turned out. The next 2 seasons I had championship expectations going in, and we all know how that turned out.

To sum this rambling up, I've always had expectations for the Pacers, and I've always felt I sort of knew what was going to happen (regardless of how wrong I ended up being, especially the last two years). This season I am stuck in the middle. I love what we've done this offseason, and I guess I'm still a little hungover from the championship expectations this offseason that I really badly want to expect that again. I can't come out and say I don't expect it, because that feels wrong, but I also can't say that I do, because I feel stupid to expect that of this team.

I know this rant seems off topic, but it is the same way I feel about the players attitudes. I want to beleive that Jack won't argue and that Tinsley won't get hurt and that Jermaine will lead this team to the promise land, but I can't say I do believe that will happen, and I can't say that I don't, either way I feel like I'm wrong.

I'm generally buying it. The reports from the first day of practice have me actually expecting a different offense now. Beyond that, I simply choose to be optimistic.

Banned

Every pre-season I am optimistic and looking forward to the season. This year is no different. All the off season speculation and pre-season hype has never meant a thing to me. Good or bad.

I always look at the season in quarters. I prefer to let the first 20 games of the season be the initial measuring stick. Then see how we progress as a team the next 20. And again the next 20. Hopefully seeing steady improvement and continuity. Then I like to see us playing our best ball the last 20. Thats what you hope for anyway.

None of what is said from June through October really means a thing. Only thing that matter is what happens on the floor from November through June. Well hopefully June.

I have to see them play, even in preseason to start to form an opinion.

To me, it's not about wins and losses, its about them having fun/showing enthusiasm and playing the right way.

By the "right way" I mean I'm tired of them being outsmarted at every turn, at both ends of the floor, and having a collectively low B ball IQ. I

f they show those 2 things, I'm all about it.

woman without a team

Nope, I'm not buying into it. I won't until the season is over. If nothing has happened then yes I'll buy into it. Until then I'm not a believer.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

But I'm still watching and waiting, so that has to count for something...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

_PD_

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, it's not about wins and losses, its about them having fun/showing enthusiasm and playing the right way.
    Wow. I'm the complete opposite. I guess this sort of stems from being a White Sox fan, but I don't give a rats *** how they do it or if they enjoy it I want to win. If we play an outstanding game and lose, I'm pissed. If we play horribly and win, I'm happy. That's all there really is to it for me.

Actually, after reading you're post again you may have been refering to the preseason games? If so, then I agree.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

i dont know if buying into it is the right phrase for me. yes, i am getting excited and i am very optimistic about this season. but there is somethin in the back of my head that says, we will be same ole slow grind it out offense more than run and gun.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the talk is earnest.

I'm left optimistic but not 100% convinced about everything, particularly how the players will get along with Rick.

We're in the "Talk the talk" phase. I'm ready for the walk.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

I still see the Kool Aid pitcher as half-empty....but I'm starting to buy in a little more.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    Wow. I'm the complete opposite. I guess this sort of stems from being a White Sox fan, but I don't give a rats *** how they do it or if they enjoy it I want to win. If we play an outstanding game and lose, I'm pissed. If we play horribly and win, I'm happy. That's all there really is to it for me.

Actually, after reading you're post again you may have been refering to the preseason games? If so, then I agree.

I was taught basketball old school and believe if you play the right way with enthusiasm the wins take care of themselves. The "right way" encompasses so many things. Also, I'm not sure the "Wins take care of themselves" means they win alot even, but it should mean that you are reaching your potential as a team. If they play that way they should win as many as the talent level of this group allows.

I think most teams never reach that potential, ever. Look at the 2000 team as a rare example tho. I think with that group they played as well as they possibly could by playing the right way, they had max'd out imho. They were as good as they could possibly be. Reggie is a great example too. A way skinny, not freakish athlete who is a hall of famer. Reg did by far the most with his ability, reached the maximum potential, thats rare, I think.

When I say I don't care about wins, not take that to mean I care about style, I don't care AT ALL about style, over 100 points a game, up or down tempo, any of that. It's about moving your feet on defense, no easy shots/hand in the face everytime, boxing out every play, setting up your teammates for easy shots, never looking up at the stat board in the end of Conseco Fieldhouse to see how many rebounds you have, be in condition so you can play 3 more quarters after playing a full game, taking a charge, setting a real pick not a fake one that roll off of hoping to get the ball, I could go on..... It's all playing the right way.

If we are a true title contender, I don't care if the score is 22-21 with 50 turnovers.

If we need a few years of seasoning before we are ready to rumble, then we might as well be entertained along the way.

Isaac, the difference is that in baseball, only a small percentage of the teams qualify for the postseason. So the regular season W-L record has more meaning. The Sox had an impressive W-L record this year, but unfortunately for them there were two *even better* teams in their division.

But if it were basketball, they'd still be in the playoffs.

Therefore, I agree with Speed's comments. I'll start to buy into it when I see the team playing the right way - with a high bballIQ, sharing the ball, moving without the ball, committed to defense and rebounding, and communicating on defense (and by communicating on defense, I don't mean for one rookie to be standing in the middle of the court, yelling at everyone else, while his man shoots an uncontested three) (nor am I referring to the shouting matches that SJax, Fred Jones, AJ, and other players would get into.)

If they are doing all those things consistently by/after the All-Star break, this team will be in position for a deep playoff run during a rebuilding year. If not? Well, this is a rebuilding year.

I buy that a concerted effort is being made to change the culture. But even if everything is wine and roses, I still don't see us being very good.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Jay, I was more referring to the fact that the sox best teams have been winning ugly type teams.

To answer the question: I don't know

But I'm excited that training camp has started, looking forward to the first preseason game and can't wait until the regular season starts.

I don't get too caught up in too much else except for enjoying the ride. It was fun just to see the news reports, it was fun just to receive my season tickets in the mail, and it is fun to have something to read on Pacers.com and Indystar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    Jay, I was more referring to the fact that the sox best teams have been winning ugly type teams.
    Okay.

But then again, I'd describe:

when I see the team playing the right way - with a high bballIQ, sharing the ball, moving without the ball, committed to defense and rebounding, and communicating on defense
    as "winning ugly."

I am really excited for this season to get started.

I am not sure what to expect of this team, and frankly I like it that way.

I would love to be surprised, pleasantly of course.

Does this mean I beleive all the spin that the Pacers PR people are putting out? No, that is there respective jobs and they are doing a very good job of it. I will beleive all the talk when the players walk the walk. So far though, I am liking what I am hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I buy that a concerted effort is being made to change the culture. But even if everything is wine and roses, I still don't see us being very good.
    By "us", I'm assuming you mean the Cavs.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Okay.

But then again, I'd describe:

as "winning ugly."

Yeah you're right, as soon as I typed that I realized it.