Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 106

Thread: Johnny Davis was on WIBC Tuesday night

  1. #51
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie Miller didn't stay in town (supposedly), as our leader. I'm not sure what everyone is getting at, other than nitpicking Jamaal just to nitpick. He's just the easiest target.
    Reggie had a well documented training regimen that included 5mi runs on the beach.

    Comparing Reggie leaving town to workout, with Tinsley leaving town and not working out is laughable.

  2. #52
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Who exactly said that Jamaal is lifting weights for the first time? If it was Johnny Davis how the hell does he know considering he wasn't even here? I'm not saying he's wrong I'm just saying I don't understand why everyone is taking what he says as gospel.

  3. #53
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who exactly said that Jamaal is lifting weights for the first time? If it was Johnny Davis how the hell does he know considering he wasn't even here? I'm not saying he's wrong I'm just saying I don't understand why everyone is taking what he says as gospel.
    Exactly. We know Jamaal's spent at least two offseasons in that insanely intense pro camp in Florida... the one Al introduced him to. There's no way that program didn't include weights.

  4. #54
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. We know Jamaal's spent at least two offseasons in that insanely intense pro camp in Florida... the one Al introduced him to. There's no way that program didn't include weights.
    It was reported that he was in ATL last offseason. I know it's not that far, but you still don't confuse Atlanta with Florida.

  5. #55
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    I looked up the facility I thought it would be, and it's IPI: Bollettieri Sports Academy in Bradenton FL.

    It also listed Jamaal and Al as alum. so I know for 100% it's that one.

    EDIT: Here's the link. http://www.imgacademies.com/basketba...sps?itype=8047

  6. #56
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was reported that he was in ATL last offseason. I know it's not that far, but you still don't confuse Atlanta with Florida.
    Maybe you shouldn't confuse "at least two offseasons" with "last offseason"............
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  7. #57

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    There is no way Tinsley has never lifted wieghts before. People are reading too much into it. What we should be asking is if he has worked on smiling on the bench.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  8. #58

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie had a well documented training regimen that included 5mi runs on the beach.

    Comparing Reggie leaving town to workout, with Tinsley leaving town and not working out is laughable.

    You totally missed the point. Re-read the post that brought that response.


    And you also missed the point of the Davis' quote, and/or you haven't been paying attention. If you had you'd notice that Tinsley comes into camp every year in great shape. He doesn't do it by sitting around and eating potato chips. He works out. A lot.


    By the way, you can gain a lot of muscle tone and strength without lifting weights (which he's obviously done anyways). Tinsley's not a center. He has strength in his size and he should be focusing on keeping his body tone enough to play an 82-game season. Consistently lifting weights helps, and I'm glad he's giving it a try.

  9. #59
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe you shouldn't confuse "at least two offseasons" with "last offseason"............
    I read it as, "last two offseasons."

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no way Tinsley has never lifted wieghts before. People are reading too much into it. What we should be asking is if he has worked on smiling on the bench.
    I'm not any way/shape/form of back tracking, only clarifying.

    I don't really think he's never picked up a barbell, dumbbell, or sat down on a machine. That would be completely naive.

    But when you say the phrase "lifting weights," in a sport related attitude, it means lifting 3+ times a week with an effort on a specific goal. It's not going in and throwing around weight on different machines, working different areas of your body every day.

    It's creating a schedule of working on specific body parts one day, another the next day, and so on.

    You don't say you've been lifting if you go in once, or even twice, a week and do a complete body workout. You'd be laughed at.

  10. #60
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You totally missed the point. Re-read the post that brought that response.
    I got you're point, you missed mine. I was saying Reggie was a perfect leader by example. He showed his teammates what hard work in the offseason does for a player. You don't have to workout together to lead them.

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you also missed the point of the Davis' quote, and/or you haven't been paying attention. If you had you'd notice that Tinsley comes into camp every year in great shape. He doesn't do it by sitting around and eating potato chips. He works out. A lot.


    By the way, you can gain a lot of muscle tone and strength without lifting weights (which he's obviously done anyways). Tinsley's not a center. He has strength in his size and he should be focusing on keeping his body tone enough to play an 82-game season. Consistently lifting weights helps, and I'm glad he's giving it a try.
    The bolded highlight is 100% false. If you want, we can get into phsyiological reasons why you get stronger/bigger, and all the reasons revolve around working the muscle.

    Lifting doesn't just make you stronger, and shouldn't be just advocated for post positions. Why would volleyball players have a strict weight workout then?

    There is soooo much more to weight training than the general population knows. Personal trainers have a stereotype about being a big strong dumb guy, but a good one will be very educated and will be part of a worldwide recognized organization.

    EDIT: Yes. I do get kind of touchy on this subject, because I work very hard in school right now to learn this stuff. It really is an eye opening experience.

  11. #61
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think what you meant to say was "Jamaal's never been Chauncey Billups or anything." Chauncey is bigger, so clearly he's stronger than Dajuan..........



    I'd forgotten all about that, uh, incident.

    MagicRat is in mid-season form.

    +++++++++++

    Back on topic, since we hear (and see) every year that, "Jamaal is in the best shape of his life", it seems to me that this is just another way of trying to say the same thing - that he's coming into camp in shape. I think many of you are turning this into something that it is not - it is not an indictment of what he's done during any previous offseason because he's made it a habit to get in shape during the offseason.

    But they're adding to that new things that he's going to do during the season. That's been his problem - not his health in November and December but his health in March.

    As for basketball players lifting weights, in the dark ages when I was playing, a lot of coaches didn't want their perimeter players lifting weights - especially during the season - because it would screw up their jumpshot.

    Offseason lifting had to be supplemented by lots of shooting drills.

    Post players - that was different.

    The view may have changed. But then again, we also spend a lot of time talking about the lost art of shooting in American players so maybe the viewpoint has changed incorrectly.

    Can you imagine if Jamaal's jumper could get any worse?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #62
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mg:

    I'd forgotten all about that, uh, incident.

    MagicRat is in mid-season form.
    Hey, I'm the one who brought it up!

    Anyway, I think we're all missing the point. It doesn't matter if Jamaal's weight trained in the past or not. Judging from the anorexic picture of him from Monday, he's obviously not very good at it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  13. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I'd forgotten all about that, uh, incident.

    MagicRat is in mid-season form.

    +++++++++++

    Back on topic, since we hear (and see) every year that, "Jamaal is in the best shape of his life", it seems to me that this is just another way of trying to say the same thing - that he's coming into camp in shape. I think many of you are turning this into something that it is not - it is not an indictment of what he's done during any previous offseason because he's made it a habit to get in shape during the offseason.

    But they're adding to that new things that he's going to do during the season. That's been his problem - not his health in November and December but his health in March.

    As for basketball players lifting weights, in the dark ages when I was playing, a lot of coaches didn't want their perimeter players lifting weights - especially during the season - because it would screw up their jumpshot.

    Offseason lifting had to be supplemented by lots of shooting drills.

    Post players - that was different.

    The view may have changed. But then again, we also spend a lot of time talking about the lost art of shooting in American players so maybe the viewpoint has changed incorrectly.

    Can you imagine if Jamaal's jumper could get any worse?
    /off topic

    My old track coach didnt, and I beleive still doesnt, like having his distance people lift weights......esp not in season.

    /Back on topic...

  14. #64

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got you're point, you missed mine. I was saying Reggie was a perfect leader by example. He showed his teammates what hard work in the offseason does for a player. You don't have to workout together to lead them.
    There was no point to miss. I agree that you don't have to work with the team, but Tinsley is just as good of an example as Reggie was for offseason workout programs, if not better. Tinsley's results from his offseason workout programs are way more visible than Reggie's ever were. And yes, he comes into camp every year in great shape. If you disagree, point out a camp that he didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The bolded highlight is 100% false. If you want, we can get into phsyiological reasons why you get stronger/bigger, and all the reasons revolve around working the muscle.

    Lifting doesn't just make you stronger, and shouldn't be just advocated for post positions. Why would volleyball players have a strict weight workout then?
    Preaching to the choir. Aside from running cross-country/track for the best coach in the state and adhering to a number of different workout programs, I went to college for Physical Therapy. I'm well aware of the anatomy, physiology, and biology of muscle activity. So I've been on both sides.

    What you bolded doesn't make sense with your statement. You reply to the bolded words "By the way, you can gain a lot of muscle tone and strength without lifting weights" by saying you disagree and that you gain strength/size "and all the reasons revolve around working the muscle". What exactly are we disagreeing on?

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    You can say that again

  16. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    with Tinsley leaving town and not working out is laughable.
    What are you talking about? Tinsley has shown up for camp the last two years very trim and in great shape.

    He just has not managed to stay healthy and sinus problem free for the entire season.....

  17. #67

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    FWIW, Johnny Davis said that Tinsley hired a chef this time around, but Tinsley had a personal chef three years ago, so it's not completely new. I think the difference might be that Tinsley hired his last chef in the offseason and maybe he's planning on keeping this chef around all year. I don't know. Either way, sinus problems are seasonal, and I'm not sure how he'll be able to get past them this time.

  18. #68
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was no point to miss. I agree that you don't have to work with the team, but Tinsley is just as good of an example as Reggie was for offseason workout programs, if not better. Tinsley's results from his offseason workout programs are way more visible than Reggie's ever were. And yes, he comes into camp every year in great shape. If you disagree, point out a camp that he didn't.
    I think I'm getting ready to have a heartattack. Tinsley is no Reggie, not even close. There's a big difference in being in shape, and being in tip-top shape. The length Reggie played, how he played, and how many games a year speak for themselves. Tinsley, at the pace he is going, won't even be in the same ball park as Reggie Miller.


    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Preaching to the choir. Aside from running cross-country/track for the best coach in the state and adhering to a number of different workout programs, I went to college for Physical Therapy. I'm well aware of the anatomy, physiology, and biology of muscle activity. So I've been on both sides.

    What you bolded doesn't make sense with your statement. You reply to the bolded words "By the way, you can gain a lot of muscle tone and strength without lifting weights" by saying you disagree and that you gain strength/size "and all the reasons revolve around working the muscle". What exactly are we disagreeing on?
    You can't tone a muscle, nor strengthen it, without working it. There is no possible way. None. That's what I'm disagreeing with.

    You can lose body weight/fat and make yourself look toner, with bigger/stronger muscles, but you've done nothing to the actual muscles. You can't gain strength or toneness, without training. It's impossible.

  19. #69
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are you talking about? Tinsley has shown up for camp the last two years very trim and in great shape.

    He just has not managed to stay healthy and sinus problem free for the entire season.....
    How you take care of your body, directly affects your overall heath. The better you do it, the healthier you are.

    They're one in the same.

  20. #70
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't tone a muscle, nor strengthen it, without working it. There is no possible way. None. That's what I'm disagreeing with.
    I still don't know what you're disagreeing with.

    He said you can build muscle without lifting weights. You're trying to disagree with him by saying "without working it."

    That comes across to me as you saying the only way to work a muscle is to lift weights.

    Charles Atlas may come to your house and kick sand in your face if you try to make that argument...........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  21. #71
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't know what you're disagreeing with.

    He said you can build muscle without lifting weights. You're trying to disagree with him by saying "without working it."

    That comes across to me as you saying the only way to work a muscle is to lift weights.

    Charles Atlas may come to your house and kick sand in your face if you try to make that argument...........
    Lifting weights incompasses push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and every other type of body lifting exercises. It isn't restricted to using dumbbells, plates, or machinery.

    Which is exactly what Charles Atlas advocates along with Jack LaGrange. (I know that's not his last name, but it's close)

    EDIT: Jack LaLanne. I knew I was close.

  22. #72
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lifting weights incompasses push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and every other type of body lifting exercises. It isn't restricted to using dumbbells, plates, or machinery.

    Which is exactly what Charles Atlas advocates along with Jack LaGrange. (I know that's not his last name, but it's close)
    La Lanne.

    So you're disagreeing based on semantics and a very broad definition of "lifting weights"? Come on, now.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  23. #73
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    La Lanne.

    So you're disagreeing based on semantics and a very broad definition of "lifting weights"? Come on, now.......
    I honestly didn't know that people didn't include body weight exercises in the weight lifting category.

    I took it as saying you could gain it through nutrition/supplementation/other substance.

  24. #74

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    I hope Kstat lifted this off season because I think Since is pushing for Most Argumentive Poster this year.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  25. #75

    Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

    Don't argue with Since86 about nutrition and physical conditioning.

    He's very well informed and probably right. Besides, he's tenacious as heck about it and will never relent.

    This thread hasn't even warmed up. Doesn't everyone remember the thread about the the effects of eating a meal one hour later than usual? But Since only gets this way when you step onto his turf.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •