Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Davis was on WIBC Tuesday night

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC right now

It's about being in the best shape you can be. JO's problem was that he had too much bulk. His diet and exercise plan worked to make him huge, but huge was not where his body was in it's best shape. That's why he changed back to slimmer JO.

It just seems weird that a professional athlete, paid to be in very good shape essentially, wouldn't do all he could to be in his best shape.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It just seems weird that a professional athlete, paid to be in very good shape essentially, wouldn't do all he could to be in his best shape.
    Exactly. Especially when you've had numerous seasons where your body has broken down for long periods of time.

It should have been common sense.

sweabs

I've always thought that when Jermaine "bulked up" he would resemble something more like Alonzo Mourning in terms of pure muscle and body shape. However, it seemed like he put a lot of weight on, lifted some weights, but never worked on his cardio (which is what Since86 was referring to). If you look at pictures of Jermaine in his earlier days, he was skinnier, but also seemed to have more definition. He had the strength and the quickness. I'd like him to regain both of those attributes, and not just one or the other.

Just my opinion - maybe I'm on my own with this one.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    So, JD with the O, Person with the D....what's RC gonna do?
    This is an obvious emulation of the Bird-RC-Harter era. Considering those results I have no problem with it.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Too much weight on a frame not intended can be unhealthy.

It was also reported that JO worked his total body this year, instead of just his upper body. That get's you in big trouble, and I'd lay money on it that it was a big reason for his lower body injuries.

College players lift weights EVERYDAY. Most highschool players lift weights 3-4 times a week. It's a proven science. It works, but only if you do it correctly (or at all.)

I can't believe they didn't make him atleast do something, maybe not intensely, but atleast lift something other than his water bottle.
    You mean like the dislocated shoulder? I'm not sure why you made lower body injury plural.

On top of that his body showed excellent resilience to a leg injury early in 04 during the ECF when his knee went the wrong direction and he returned later in the same game and played the rest of the series.

Tinsley started his NBA career with very minimal injuries, and even in the last few seasons he has spent a lot of time sitting due to "sinus problems". It's easy to see why he might not have seen a major need for weight training.

And just how much lifting and how many personal chefs did Mark Jackson have in 1995?

Moderate weight work and a very focused diet should make any athlete more effective than doing without them, but I don't think those are the source of many of Tinsley's previous issues.

To me what it sounds more like is that every single player and coach has agreed to take some step toward the solution, everyone is coming into the season trying to concede some area that previously they held their ground on.

It might not be the solution, but its a good step toward one.

Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC soon

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    Tinsley has now hired a chef and has begun lifting weights for the first time.
    For the first time? What the hell was he doing before?

I don't believe that an NBA player doesn't lift weights during the season. Period. Jamaal's never been Dajuan Wagner or anything, but he doesn't get knocked around, either.

I take it to mean that this is the first time he's committed to lifting weights during the off season. If he seriously refused to lift during the season, than that's just one more example of how **** poor the discipline of this organization has been. And if Jamaal doesn't lift weights, than I sure as hell can see somebody else out there who doesn't. :bouncingoffpickssmilie:

As for the whole JO didn't bulk up properly, uh, isn't that the training staff's fault?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I don't believe that an NBA player doesn't lift weights during the season. Period. Jamaal's never been Dajuan Wagner or anything, but he doesn't get knocked around, either.

I take it to mean that this is the first time he's committed to lifting weights during the off season. If he seriously refused to lift during the season, than that's just one more example of how **** poor the discipline of this organization has been. And if Jamaal doesn't lift weights, than I sure as hell can see somebody else out there who doesn't. :bouncingoffpickssmilie:

As for the whole JO didn't bulk up properly, uh, isn't that the training staff's fault?

Wait a minute, we aren't talking about 5th graders here or even high schoolers. Blaming the organization seems like a stretch to me. Isn't Tinsley 28 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I think what you meant to say was "Jamaal's never been Chauncey Billups or anything." Chauncey is bigger, so clearly he's stronger than Dajuan..........

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Isn't Tinsley 28 years old?
    I'm not sure. When I wiped all of their slates clean for the season I lost that information.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I'm not sure. When I wiped all of their slates clean for the season I lost that information.......
    I can't believe anyone reads my posts. You need to stop that right now

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Wait a minute, we aren't talking about 5th graders here or even high schoolers. Blaming the organization seems like a stretch to me. Isn't Tinsley 28 years old
    5th graders and HS'ers aren't paid.

So, what, they've got a state-of-the-art gym and they let players lay around and play playstation all day? If this is really the "first time" Jamaal's lifted weights, then either the Pacers haven't believed it's important, or they've let it slide for 6 years.

Once again, I think the point is this is the first time Jamaal's committed to weight training outside of Conseco. Now, either he decided on his own it's something to do, or the training camp recommended he do it for better conditioning, or TPTB put their foot down and told him to.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does that explain why JT stays in Atlanta (W/E) while his teammates are in Indy all summer working out together? Perhaps he has been hiding his lack of work ethic from their sight. And yes, I now our Euroguy wasn't here either...but JT is the PG starter IOW the leader/quarterback, IMPO he should be here with his teammates. (and honestly, that sounds harsher than I mean it to be)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I'm really digging all the Tinsley hate. What you guys are saying is pure speculation..and you are running with it like it's the truth.

"Tinsley goes to Atlanta to hide his poor work ethic!"

"Tinsley is fat and just now hired a chef!! Every player in the NBA should have their own personal Chef!"

etc etc

Wait for the season to start before you start crying about Tinsley. The guy looks very in shape this season. It's the offseason for a reason guys. He's not obligated to work out at Conseco..especially when his house is in Atlanta.

Who gives a rat's rear if Tinsley didn't lift weights consistently during the offseason til now? Sure that may be frustrating, but all the complaining in the world is not going to change it. I for one will be glad that he finally has taken these steps to be a complete player. I like how our view of athletes is so horribly skewed. A 28 year old in just about any other profession is still learning and growing, when you are a 28 year old pro athlete you should be perfect and never make any mistakes.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I'm really digging all the Tinsley hate. What you guys are saying is pure speculation..and you are running with it like it's the truth.

"Tinsley goes to Atlanta to hide his poor work ethic!"

"Tinsley is fat and just now hired a chef!! Every player in the NBA should have their own personal Chef!"

etc etc

Wait for the season to start before you start crying about Tinsley. The guy looks very in shape this season. It's the offseason for a reason guys. He's not obligated to work out at Conseco..especially when his house is in Atlanta.
    and that's why I posed mine as questions, to indicate that it IS purely speculation on my part. I make no apologies for saying that I don't like his "game" (actually it's his knuckleheadedness I dislike). I was one of his biggest supporters when he first came to the P's but he has worn out his welcome as far as I'm concerned. As always, If he changes...GREAT, I'm not too proud to welcome him back....but I won't apologize for how I feel now. I want what is best for the Pacers and right now that ain't him IMO.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Does that explain why JT stays in Atlanta (W/E) while his teammates are in Indy all summer working out together? Perhaps he has been hiding his lack of work ethic from their sight. And yes, I now our Euroguy wasn't here either...but JT is the PG starter IOW the leader/quarterback, IMPO he should be here with his teammates. (and honestly, that sounds harsher than I mean it to be)
    No kidding. I love how it's everybody's fault EXCEPT Jamaal Tinsley's.

I have a feeling Jamaal will be traded by the deadline. I'm PRAYING I'm wrong, because he's our best chance to succeed at the point guard position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Reggie Miller didn't stay in town (supposedly), as our leader. I'm not sure what everyone is getting at, other than nitpicking Jamaal just to nitpick. He's just the easiest target.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Didn't you get the memo, Hicks?

Its all Rick Carslisle's fault.

He should have been following him around and making sure he was "eating right" and even spent the night at JT's house to make sure he was lifting weights.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Didn't you get the memo, Hicks?

Its all Larry Bird's fault.
    Fixed.

Banned

Default Re: Johnny Davis is on WIBC at 9:30

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    To be honest, it just seems a bit comical that Greene has to fight for a roster spot. He's going to be a solid contributor, if he gets the chance.
    Why shouldnt he have to fight for it, earn it, prove by his play on the court in camp and pre-season that he deserves to be on the final roster?

Dont get me wrong, I like Greene, but he hasnt done a thing to this point in his Pacer tenure that should guarantee him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Fixed.
    Yeah, we all know Bird should have been keeping a "Bird Eyes View" on Tinsley every day. It's not like he has anything else to do, lets just let him babysit grow men

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Yeah, we all know Bird should have been keeping a "Bird Eyes View" on Tinsley every day. It's not like he has anything else to do, lets just let him babysit grow men
    No he just likes to waste, I mean spend all this time in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    You mean like the dislocated shoulder? I'm not sure why you made lower body injury plural.

On top of that his body showed excellent resilience to a leg injury early in 04 during the ECF when his knee went the wrong direction and he returned later in the same game and played the rest of the series.

Ligament damage is a whole different ball park, which is exactly what a dislocated shoulder is, or even a hyperextended knee. You could have the most perfect weight resistance training regimen, and still roll an ankle or dislocate a shoulder (especially when it was pulled the way JOs was).

Adding stronger muscle around those joints is gonna make the joint more stabile, and harder to injure, but it's still very likely either can happen at any time.

Tinsley started his NBA career with very minimal injuries, and even in the last few seasons he has spent a lot of time sitting due to "sinus problems". It's easy to see why he might not have seen a major need for weight training.

And just how much lifting and how many personal chefs did Mark Jackson have in 1995?
    It's easy to see why he might not weight train? Are you kidding me????? You're a very, very logical person Seth, and that goes against common sense.

Basketball, let alone playing in the NBA, is a VERY phsyical sport. You can't eat potato chips, and drink pop all the time and expect to be at your best. There's a reason why athletes drink gatorade and water, instead of beer and soda pop.

Athletes are getting in trouble by using substances that could affect their well being later in life, just to get in the best phsyical shape possible while they're still playing, and you see the reason why he wouldn't need to try to get in the top performance out of his body?

That's an eye popping statement.

Moderate weight work and a very focused diet should make any athlete more effective than doing without them, but I don't think those are the source of many of Tinsley's previous issues.

To me what it sounds more like is that every single player and coach has agreed to take some step toward the solution, everyone is coming into the season trying to concede some area that previously they held their ground on.

It might not be the solution, but its a good step toward one.
    Whether it's directly related to his problems or not, really doesn't matter. It shows a complete lack of respect for his teammates and the Pacer organization. If you're being paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a sport that requires you to in the best phsyical shape you can be, don't you feel an obligation to work at being the best you can be?

He's judged on his phsyical performance. Your phsyical attributes will get you much farther in that profession, than your head will. When you see a scouting report, it talkes about their phsyical presence way before their basketball IQ.

It's a complete shame that he's willing to sit back and collect a paycheck, and feel like he shouldn't work hard to get it. I can handle people who aren't capable, but I loathe people who don't even try.