Thread: Who Will Win Battles For Final Roster Spots? {Pacers.com 10.3.06}

Question Who Will Win Battles For Final Roster Spots? {Pacers.com 10.3.06}

Who Will Win Battles For Final Roster Spots?

Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. As I'm looking through the roster of 18 guys, I'm pretty sure I can guess the three guys that will be released and two guys that would not be active when the season starts. My guess is that John Edwards, Josh Powell, and maybe Orien Greene will be released.

Edwards was just a throw-in for the Al Harrington deal, and so was Powell in the deal that brought Darrell Armstrong here. Greene is not a bad player, but I think the Pacers would rather have Snap Hunter on their roster than Greene. They shouldn't let Hunter down after he finally made it to the NBA at the age of 29! I think Hunter and Rawle Marshall will be kept but not be on the active roster. That leaves my biggest question: Who else would not be on the 12-man roster when the season begins?

Are my projections correct? (From Evan in Fishers, Ind.)

A. To provide an educated answer to this question, I probably ought to watch a practice or two. But what the heck, you asked, and this is what I do, so …

The addition of Sean Lampley, signed Monday, brings the training camp roster to 19, so at least four players will have to be released before the season begins. The Pacers will carry 12 on the active roster and up to three on the inactive list. Though the rotations remain to be determined, almost all of the roster spots appear to be locked up.

Veterans Darrell Armstrong, Marquis Daniels, Jeff Foster, Danny Granger, Al Harrington, David Harrison, Stephen Jackson, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley occupy 10 spots.

Rookies Shawne Williams and James White bring the number to 12, and free agent signee Maceo Baston makes 13. That leaves Edwards, Greene, Hunter, Lampley, Marshall and Powell battling for up to two jobs.

Though the Pacers could use an additional big body, they'd prefer more of a defensive presence and Edwards doesn't fit that profile. Greene, a large-framed defensive ace, and Hunter, a prolific scorer, could battle for the final point-guard spot.

Marshall has been impressive in pre-camp workouts but the Pacers already have two guys of his profile (6-7, 190) locked in (Daniels and White). Powell also has opened some eyes in the workouts and will need to keep that up in camp. Lampley is something of a wild card, a 6-6 bull that needs to show he can play both forward spots.

As for speculating just who'll win those battles, it's far too early to hazard a guess. The 12-man roster will depend largely on injuries or the lack thereof. The other three spots, two of each appear to be very much up for grabs, could also be influenced by needs that arise from health issues. So say stuned and by all means check back later in the month. By then, I'll actually have seen some practices and maybe even a game or two, so the guessing will be a little more educated.

Pacers.com

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Who Will Win Battles For Final Roster Spots? {Pacers.com 10.3.06}

My guess is Green and Powell

Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess is Green and Powell
    I would like to see Hunter get a chance, especially since he brings some shooting to the backcourt. That said Greene appears to be the more talented, and promising player. I would hate to have him get his chance on another team.

I can't see Powell making it, although I know big men are customarily more valued. Like Baston, he's another smallish 6'9 PF, I think he would buried deeper on the rotation then would Marshall. Rawle seems to be able to play 2 or 3 spots, which I think may help him stick around, just my opinion.

Why Not Us ?

I don't care about the 15th spot, but we better keep Oreo. I'm not comfortable with Quis being the only player who can defend the 1.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

When you're talking about a 14th or 15th man, I would most definetely like to see us keep a guy who's a proven ball hawk than some athletic guy with UPside.

Gotta keep Oriene.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I think Edwards and Lampley will be cut. So I think it's between Greene and Snap for one position and Marshall and Powell for the other.

Both Greene and Hunter are 6'4, with Hunter being the offensive player and Greene the defensive. Since the battle is for the 4th point guard spot I think it will be hunter who is cut.

As was pointed out in the article, Marshall is behind two guys with the same build and game so I think he will be the other cut even though I've read he's been doing great.

An injury could also decide these two battles, but other than that I think Greene and Powell will make the team.

I want Greene on the team, I saw him play last season for the Celtics and I liked what I saw. And I always go for the defensive guy

Pacers Need A Better GM. !Pacers-Fan!'s Avatar

Snap Hunter is a good offensive player, i want snap on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    So I think it's between . . . Marshall and Powell for the other.
    Both of these guys have value, I'd hate to cut them.

If we're not going to do any more deals before camp, we should start looking at trading those guys by themselves. Every team (except us, evidently) has a stiff with an unguaranteed contract... seems we should trade someone like Powell for that stiff and a future #2.

Sports Logo

I didn't catch it...but did the deadline to keep Powell pass and we did nothing...as in just guaranteed his contract?

I know its small...but you would hope that TPTB would know whether they want to keep him or not. I guess they want to see how he does in Training camp.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

2 things stand out......Edwards maybe a Big Man...but doesn't provide a Defensive presense.....and the need to have multi-positional players due to injury concerns.

For the 1st position...obviously...it will come down to Snap and Greene....simply to add needed depth for the much injured Tinsley. My hopes are on Greene...simply cuz we need a better defensive minded PG then Tinsley.

For the 2nd position....Rawle and Powell......I would guess that...between those 2 players....it will come down to who can cover the most positions in the frontcourt.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I didn't catch it...but did the deadline to keep Powell pass and we did nothing...as in just guaranteed his contract?
    Sunday.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Sunday.
    I guess he's guaranteed now? Geez...I wish I had that kind of money to throw around. We have 19 players on the roster....I would hope that TPTB have an idea about who they want to keep and who not to keep. But I guess that's what training camp is for.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I guess he's guaranteed now? Geez...I wish I had that kind of money to throw around. We have 19 players on the roster....I would hope that TPTB have an idea about who they want to keep and who not to keep. But I guess that's what training camp is for.

Whoops. I meant this coming Sunday (10/8/06).

I prefer us to keep Greene and Powell.

Like I said in another thread, these are guys at the end of the bench. They need to either have upside, fill a need, or both. Hunter has no upside. He's like 30. Greene has both upside and fills the need for a defensive PG, a la Lindsey Hunter.

That leaves 1 spot, and it's going to be between Marshall and Powell. Both players have several players ahead of them on the depth chart, so neither fills a role. That leaves upside. Whichever has more perceived upside, that's the guy you keep. Or, if somebody out there is willing to give you something for either them, that's the guy you ship out.

I think they have similar upside. For me, the deciding factor is that Powell plays just like Baston, and should there be an injury to a 3/4, we have tons of options to cover, including sliding guys over from 5 or 2 to cover. Marshall is a 2. We have at least 2 guys there ahead of him in the rotation, maybe 3 if you count White, but we don't have a lot of guys that can move to SG from their natural position. If there's an injury or 2 at SG, Marshall has NBA experience as a SG. If we lose a SF, Jackson can slide to 3, and we've got suitable depth at SG.

That's a very long-winded way of saying I'd take Greene and Marshall, unless a team wants Marshall for a 2nd, then I keep Powell.

I think it's going to be Greene and Marshall.

It will be Greene and Hunter, for simple reasons:

Green, taken of waivers, is a def. ace, snap can shoot the ball, just for that prowess alone, on a team with few shooters, he has the better chance, add to that the fact that the depth upfront (3,4,5) is more then sufficient, in fact I would call it an overabundance, there is no need for "big" players, unless they are starting C's.

Face it: upfront; Jeff, JO, Al, David, Danny, Maceo, (Jax), (Williams)
    Though I know we have many PG options already, most of them, with the exception of JT and Sara, are capable of playing the 2 as well or perhaps even better there, keeping a def 1/2 and a shooting 1/2 will likely be the best option.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

as long as Greene is kept, i'm not too concerned about the other.